Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 236

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad
part 236.

I had spent a night getting used to the sounds of hospital. I was still dozy and drifted in and out of sleep. My groin didn't feel much different, in fact I couldn't feel much at all, which I hoped was just down to painkillers, morphine and friends.

I had nearly forgotten about enemas and bowel washes, which had been my entry into this artificial world where people were born and died. I wondered what the nurses thought of me. It wasn't that important, but I preferred to be liked rather than disliked.

In one of my more lucid moments, I actually felt my groin, it was all wrapped up with a catheter emerging which I presume went into a bag somewhere. I just had to remember in event of a fire take the bag with me or leave my bladder behind with it.

Actually it wasn't entirely numb, I had all sorts of strange twitches and tics from down there. I began to wonder if there was such a thing as phantom willie syndrome. I hoped not.

I still had a line into the back of my hand with some sort of clear fluid going into it, presumably dextrose or something similar, making up any fluid I'd lost, at least there was no blood transfusion, so maybe I hadn't lost too much.

I became aware I was hungry, yet it was only five in the morning and I had a horrible feeling I wasn't to be allowed solids for at least a week. My stomach rumbled, obviously irritated by such a regime. I understood the reason, no solid food or as they put it, non residue food means no faeces and less risk of infection, plus the vagina that is formed is made to lie quite close to the bowel, so they don't want bowel movements. If only I didn't feel so hungry.

I reached over to my locker and managed to grasp the glass of water and drink some. If I was full of water I might not feel so hungry, a trick I believe anorrhexics do. I thought for a moment, if I drink too much I'll keep peeing but then that's all taken care of.

I was still in a hospital gown, I'd be glad to get into one of my own, then I might feel less of an object and more like a human. However, I wondered how they'd get it over the drip. My mind was fuddled, perhaps the anaesthetic or perhaps simply my body had suffered a major trauma and was dealing with it. I thought I felt something move down my catheter, was the sensation returning.

At six they appeared with a drink for me, tea without milk - yuck, or black coffee. I settled for the latter, I was also allowed to semi-recline. Later I would be encouraged to sit up and use pressure of sitting on my surgery to help stop bleeding. In which case maybe I should ask Simon to bring a bike in, that would really put pressure on things, especially with a race saddle.

Breakfast was apparently a cup of Bovril. Oh boy, this was not going to be easy. Frustration nearly killed me before, now it appeared starvation was going to finish the job.

I drank my Bovril and thought about things. Finally I had managed to sort out something which had felt wrong since I was a kid. I was now to all intents and purposes as much a woman as anybody else. Okay, I couldn't have kids but then neither could a significant number of genetic females.

Life is what you make it, and I had made mine more to my liking than it had been. I was in a private room and was listening to the radio when I met my creator.

"How are we this morning?"

"Mr O'Rourke, thank you for helping me realise a dream."

"Well now young lady, I wish all my patients could say that, instead they tend to grumble at me for long waiting lists or playing with their prostates. So, you have made my day."

He beamed a toothy smile at me and part of me wished the raw flesh down below had healed some months before - owww, there was a twinge! Something was working.

"Are there any questions?" he asked.

"How long did it take?"

"Five or six hours, it took some time with the clitoroplasty, but it looks quite a good job. I think you'll be pleased."

"When do I pay you?"

"Pay me? This is NHS."

"Goodness, wow! Can I get Simon to bring you in a bottle of your favourite tipple?"

"Now dat sounds interesting, some Oirish Whiskey if you please."

"Any particular brand?"

"No surprise me."

"Okay, I will. When can I get up?"

"Not until the graft has taken, at least a week, which is when you can eat normally again."

"What about the catheter?"

"About ten or twelve days, you need to be able to pass urine before you leave."

"When can I ride a bike?"

"What a push bike?"

I nodded, "A race bike."

"Not for two t' tri months. But sex, sometime after six weeks." He smiled at me. I smiled back wishing I could reverse the figures.

The next week was bit of a blur, everyday seemed the same. Simon would visit when he could, Stella came in everyday, often with Tom. Once or twice some of my students came in. I even did a sort of tutorial with one of them who was stuck with her assignment.

Then after several days, I was given an injection and was told my packing was out. Then came the joys of dilation, the nearest thing to self-flagellation I can think of. How anyone in their right mind can shove a bullet shaped piece of perspex into a fairly new wound, defeats me, but that is what I was doing. It hurt too. I won't dwell on the details, it may put you off your dinner, but it certainly gives new meaning to picking scabs or spots as an activity. It was like some mediaeval torture of impaling, maybe Mr O'Rourke's middle name was Vlad.

At last I could eat real food and was also allowed out of bed, for salt baths. These help to heal the wound but dry the rest of your skin to hell. I was still on the catheter, so that complicated things a little. I was walking up and down the corridor to try and get my leg muscles back, when who should I bump into but Vlad O'Rourke, himself.

"Please thank Simon for the gift."

"What did he get you?"

"A whole case of different whiskeys, an amazing selection."

"You are pleased then?"

"Oi am over da moon, young lady."

"I shall tell him."

"How's da dilation?"

"Sore, I can't believe this is going to become pleasurable."

"Oh Oi tink you'll foind it does, but it takes toime."

"Okay, I'll persevere."

"You do dat, an' take me word for it, it gets better."

"Okay, I will, what about the catheter?"

"Oh dat can come out in da morn." He wished me good day and set off at a pace down the corridor.

Stella came in that afternoon and brought me the latest Cycling Weekly, the bike tests had me almost pining for one of my two bikes, it didn't matter which.

I used a mirror to plunge the perspex into the hole, actually the hole was covered by a muscle which acted as the inner labia, and which had to be negotiated carefully. However, whilst I had been dilating, I hadn't actually examined myself, I felt quite shy about it all, which was silly, but was how I felt.

This afternoon after Stella had gone, I did the necessary with my KY and plunger! Afterwards I actually had a little explore with the help of the mirror. It was very clever stuff, and although swollen and discoloured, looked like the real thing. If it could eventually receive the corresponding device, it would certainly make Simon happy.

If I could get some pleasure too, so much the better, but I was quite pleased that at least I now resembled the woman I really felt I had been for a long time. For me that was the reward of all this pain and discomfort. I was complete now, another chapter was over. However, I knew this wasn't the end of the story, rather it went to a new level and began again, with more things to learn and experience.

I looked forward with some enthusiasm and not a little trepidation.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh, yeah!

Dilation, the joys of being a manufactured woman! There's an old insult that makes reference to doing deep knee bends over a fire hydrant. I gained a whole new perspective on that line. :(

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Healing nicely

Good to see that Cathy's having a quiet visit - no terrorist takeovers of the hospital, etc.!

It'll be interesting to see how her surgery manifests itself in other parts of her life, what this change influences,like widening ripples on a lake....

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Post Op Perspectives

I remember the few days after the op. The first I was semi lucid at best. Then came the wonders of being stuck in a bed mostly unable to move. for the first day, I was not even able to sit up, even with the assistance of the electric bed raiser thing. I remember the "water" diet too. You could have colored water (tea or Coffey) Flavored water (orange squash) Frozen Water (Sorbet) or Wobbly Water (jelly).

But what I also remember, is about 3 days post op.

Till then, the area of my groin was this confused melange of sensations, mostly new, and I had no way to interpret them, it was just like a ball of Something.

But then, on the third day, i clenched the muscles down there, just a bit, and that ball of sensations resolved itself all at once. It was like, my flexing those muscles, had given my brain a point of reference to make sense of all this new input.

I will ALWAYS remember that moment, as thats the first moment when I felt my new plumbing, and that was an incredible thing.

Till then, being in the hospital was mostly a boring and pain full thing that had no real "payoff"

then, in one moment, I was complete, and a dream, desire, goal, that I had had since as young as I could remember had come true. And That..... What a moment.

I cried buckets.

I called a friend on my mobile to try to talk about how I felt.

I know I had a grin for weeks after, every time I thought about that moment, and even now, it still makes my eyes damp and puts an echo of that silly grin back on my lips.

Yes, being in hospital post op is a real pain, both figuratively and literally, but after that day, it was worth it a million times over.

One last little anecdote on the perils of Dilation...

Never Never Never..... Dilate while watching Blackadder.... Hysterical laughter GREATLY compresses the abdominal muscles..... My Acrylic Bullet made like a Real bullet, and could well have killed the telly.....

Natasha

More Perspectives

I was lucky I did not feel a lot of pain, so little in fact that I stopped any
pain medication within a day of being post-op.

However, I did make one mistake. I accepted the advice of one of the RNs taking
care of me ( who had dealt with a lot of TS patients of my surgeon ) in whether
I should go up one dilator size the day after being discharged from the hospital.
He recommended that I do so.

That was a mistake. :(

It can be done, and it ultimately sped up my progress up the dilator sizes, but it
was incredibly painful to do as I have only just had my surgery. I did not tear
anything but OMG it was agony.

Kim

that almost...

kristina l s's picture

... sounds like an ending, not that I'm suggesting. I like the way you handled the last two, not having had the pleasure it 's always interesting to get a view at it so to speak. Nice work Ang.

Um, firehydrants and shooting at the telly... dear me, coffee up the nose is not a good look.

Kristina

Nicely handled.

... as we've come to expect.

>> just had to remember in event of a fire take the bag with me or leave my bladder behind with it.<<

I've had an instance or two when I'd have been happy to leave my bladder behind, and let it do it's business without me. But common sense prevailed. :-)

Thanks for another sensitive episode.

Annette

Well, So Far Cathy Is Alive And Kicking.

It is great seeing Cathy healing up from the surgery and the accent of her surgeon was fantastic, reminded me of my favorite Chief Engineer on Star Trek. I just hope that Cathy keeps on having her adventures because things just wouldn't be the same. She has trounced bullies with Stella and Simon and now I wonder if she will trounce them with the help of Tom or her Dad. Somehow, I think that we will be pleasantly surprised by Angharad.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Star Trek

I don't remember any Irish Chief Engineers on Star Trek unless that it was doofus who got high on something or other and kept singing "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" to Kirk. But was he an engineer at all, let alone a Chief one?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

P.S. to Angharad: I know this is two comments but I accept that it only counts for one since they are both appended to the same part of the story.

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Wonderful story, Angharad!

As to the young Irish lieutenant, I think you are thinking of Kevin Riley, who served in Engineering twice IIRC (and once in Communications and I forget the other location, on the bidge? navigation maybe? A mind is a terrible thing). And I would not characterize his problem as "got high," since I think he was either poisoned or got some disease, but not sure which episode it was off hand, but I think one was "The Naked Time" and the other is one that had someone named the (something - butcher? executioner?) of Kodos in it. Anyways, I may be way off as my brain is full and I am too lazy too look it up...

Hugsm
Diana

One... more ... time...

laika's picture

It was the effects of water, that had been affected by (?) gravity and had turned into alchohol-like drunky water (Ah Star Trek- always at the forefront of science!). There was an Irish engineer on Captain Baldy's Enterprise, character actor (The Commitments) Colm Meaney. Who cares about any of this? But Lieutenant Reilly was Irish too, and Just in case we didn't get that he was Irish, they played this horrible jouncing Irish jig when he fought with Kirk; which I think even as a young teen embarrassed me, that American television was trafficking in such hoaky stereotypes- Or wait, was that music played during the other fight Kirk had with an Irish guy, on the planet where your daydreams came true? All of which has NOTHING to do with EAFOAB, my apologies. I need to go to that company from ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND and have some of this useless crap deleted from my memory!
~~~laika

A Dream Come True!

And not just for Cathy! Some of us get great gratification (Can you spell alliteration, Jenny?) from stories like this.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

How's 'er father?

I hope someone's told Cathy's dad that she made it through her surgery okay.

I Should Have Been More Correc In My Star Trek Comment Here

Yes, I was referring to Montgomery Scott and not Kevin Riley, Cathy's surgeon has the brogue of his native land just has Scotty has and both are the best at what they do and Both have an appreciation for whiskey. But I am laughing because of the comments that I caused. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever dreamed that I would stir up so many comments. But I see that I have. And yes, I am a Star Trek fan.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Awdly Enow

erin's picture

James Mongomery Doohan, who played the very Scottish Montgomery Scott was a Canadian of Irish descent, both parents being immigrants from Eire. :)

- Erin (descended in part from Irish and Scots-Irish)

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Re: Awdly Enow

Right you are, Erin; Montgomery Scott as played by James Doohan was/is (will be?) aScotsman! In the 1967 episode Wolf In The Fold, Scotty says "Oim an pl' Aberdeen pub crawler." Mr. Doohan claimed he based Scotty's accent on an Aberdeen accent he once heard. According to Aberdeen's Wikipedia page, he didn't speeak with an Aberdeenshire accent; but this hasn't stood in the way of Aberdeen city leaders proposing plans to erect a monument to the actor and character.

Jenny

Am I the only one who got a bit ticked?

NHS? I thought rich boyfriend Simon was picking up the tab here. Cathy got moved to the top of the list and didn't have to do the required amount of living full time and the taxpayers are paying for her SRS? I think if I was one of the hundreds or thousands of TSes who were waiting ahead of Cathy, I would be a bit pissed. And the surgeon gets a case of liquor? I hope this bit of news hits the papers. Besides, Cathy isn't exactly poor, if nothing else, the pie job at the bank would be enough. Why is Cathy abusing the NHS when so many people are in need? I hope this scandal makes the headlines in all the papers.

Wow, two weeks in hospital? Marci will kick you out in a couple of days! The surgeon fee is high, but two weeks in hospital is really going to cost the taxpayers a bit of change. Of course the risk of thrombosis staying in a bed for so long will probably mean Cathy won't make it out of hospital, at least not breathing. It is a rule to always get a patient back on their feet ASAP because of the risk of blood clots. The last I heard, Cathy's legs were not broken, and if they were, she would still be up out of the bed ASAP.

Let me tell a sad tale of a transsexual woman. She didn't transition until later in life. She finally realises her dream and gets SRS. However, the doctor did not believe in getting his patients up out of bed following surgery. A day or two following the surgery, the woman develops a pulmonary embolism and dies. That is just horrible, because of the stupidity of a doctor, a doctor she trusted to know what in hell he was doing, she dies just a short while after finally becoming female.

However, the NHS part of the storey is what really ticks me.

NHS treatment

Angharad's picture

is not offered on an ability to pay or not. It is not usual to get SRS patients out of bed following surgery - you risk prolapse/rejection of the graft. It is also desirable to minimise bowel activity to reduce infection risk.

As for the risk of embolism, they usually wear elastic stockings and receive heparin injections. I could have gone into the fine detail but it doesn't make for good fiction.

As for queue jumping, this was being done by a surgeon who wasn't normally offering this service, and effectively was using Cathy as an experimental pilot within the hospital. It is also a normally quiet period in hospital apart from the drink related accidents/incidents associated with the time of year.

As for the 'bribe' to the surgeon, surely it's only a bribe if he knew he was going to get a gift afterwards. He didn't.

I've worked for the NHS for over 30 years, so I do have some familiarity with it.

Angharad

Angharad

Who's buying?

I just assumed that the surgeon's comment was a little white lie to ease Cathy's nerves, and that all along Simon was picking up the tab. Or maybe Simon's dad. Or, for a plot twist, the step mother!

In TWINS, I had Kari home in just over a week mostly to avoid writing about all those boring days in the hospital. I based the time frame on my own abdominal surgery which was similiar (minus SRS). Of course that was here in the mean nasty U.S., where you pay as you go, with insurance picking up only part.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Thank you all for sharing

It is funny, I had a really vague idea what it is like. Now I know how much I really don't know. It answered some questions though.

Before women had orgasms...

Rhona McCloud's picture

I'm sure I've put on weight reading of all Cathy's cooking while waiting for her op. - not so easy to lose that weight now as during a water only 8 (or 10) days diet post-op. Being a dinosaur my memories are of days before psychological counseling and it would have been unimaginable for a doctor to suggest I might be capable of orgasm. Fortunately I found out for myself some time later in what might be described with British understatement as "a pleasant surprise". A thought. Is that where this obsession with bicycles is leading?

Rhona McCloud

Solid food

Or they sneak in and steal a piece of your bladder, leaving in turn a wonderful garden hose going into a wee plastic bag, that fills with urine for all your visitors to see
This will also include enough stainless staples to sink a small skiff. Hopefully, they find all of them when it's time for them to come out, not leaving any for you to find in the shower !.

Cefin