Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 234

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling On A Spike.
by Angharad
part 234.

We went back to bed about four, Simon was fast asleep and tempting as it was to put my cold feet on him, I resisted and just cuddled into him. Before I dropped off, he'd spooned into the back of me and had his arm around me. It was very comforting.

I had no further bad dreams and slept until eleven. When I awoke, I noticed Simon was up and I hadn't noticed his absence. I washed quickly and dressed. I had no idea what we were doing for New Year, except I couldn't indulge in food or drink after six. I hoped the surgeon didn't indulge too heavily either.

I went down and found Simon wiping down the hire bike. "Have you been out?"

"Yeah, only did about ten miles according to the computer although it felt like twice that. That blessed wind is really cold."

"You should have woken me, I'd have come with you."

"No, I need to do this myself, especially if I'm going to kick your arse when you start again."

"That may be a good attitude for a racing cyclist, but I'm not sure I approve of it in a fiance."

"It was you who showed me up, I'm just giving you some back."

"Oh, if that's how you feel, I suppose it's alright. It wasn't my intention." I was lying, who could resist the temptation to shame someone into taking more exercise?

"Hmmm," was all he said.

"I suppose extra exercise will do you good, ward off heart attacks and so on."

"I hope so, I shall do some more at the bank's gym, they have some of these spinning bikes."

"Won't that make you dizzy?" I asked not knowing what he was on about.

"No you daft cow, they are static bikes linked to a computer so you can have interactive races."

"Oh, so you'll be much better than I am then."

"I'm going to give it quite a go."

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Part of me was happy he was considering exercise and part of me was irritated by the competitiveness. Was it just a boy thing, being able to outdo your woman in physical exertion? I didn't know and I didn't want to discuss it further.

"Are we going out tonight?"

"Only over to Southsea to the hotel."

"Are your parents going to be there?"

"Yep, that's why we have to go."

"I don't have to kiss Monica do I?"

"Kiss of the spiderwoman!" He laughed. "But of course, just watch out for her fangs."

"You don't mean palps do you?"

"Do I, I don't know?"

"It's what spiders have, although in a hybrid like a spiderwoman, there could be previously unknown mutations."

"Oh boy, remind me not to encourage you clever dick."

"I did quite a bit on insects and spiders before I got into dormice."

"Now you tell me!"

"At least I am telling you."

I went indoors and left him to finish cleaning his bike. Making some tea I poured Simon and Stella a cup. Tom had walked into the university to sort out my dormice and give Kiki a walk.

That was twice I owed him. I pulled out the letter from the hospital and reread it for the umpteenth time. It appeared they were going to operate on me tomorrow and I needed to use the suppository and not eat or drink anything after midnight. I was asked to refrain from alcohol.

I decided I wasn't going anywhere tonight. I had to shave myself down below, a pain if ever there was one, goodness that would be itchy when it grew back. I also had to be at the hospital at no later than eight in the morning. I looked over the list again, I had it all and it was all packed or ready for packing. I hoped Simon would take me, although that might not be such a good idea. Stella or Tom might if they were home and not too wasted from the New Year party.

Simon came in and I poured him a cuppa. "I'm not going to the party."

"Don't be silly, of course you are."

"Simon, I go into hospital tomorrow morning, I can't eat or drink after midnight. There is little point in going to a party with those restrictions."

"Don't be daft, it's New Year, everyone parties."

"I'm not. This surgery is far too important to jeopardise for a bit of my old life."

"Oh, be like that but don't ask me for ride into the hospital."

I felt so cross that I turned and fled the field without giving battle. If I had stopped, there would have been no survivors on the enemy side.

up
153 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

good will

kristina l s's picture

Simon, Simon. Just when you have us thinking you're ok you say something utterly selfish and thoughtless and flush it away.
A half seconds thought would have stopped that comment... sigh.

Oh and as to the relative sanity thought mentioned elsewhere... don't start, we'll all be blogging into next year(ours - not Cathy's). Talk about your fertile ground.. this is nutso's anonymous.

Kristina

In Defence of the Character, Simon

It's so much more realistic in a story when the characters behave like real people and not cartoon characters. It's the nature of people, who **are** making it up as they go along, for the most part, to screw up occasionally, as Simon is doing. Not everyone is perfect all the time. Not everyone is nice all the time. Not everyone is considerate all the time. I'm not and, unless your initials are J.C., you aren't either!

I suppose it's legitimate to criticize Simon for his bad behaviour but surely it's not unexpected.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Simon's defense

Would that be John Cleese?

Having seen Fawlty Towers and from what I've heard, I'm not so sure he is considerate all the time.

I have to agree with the rest though, it's just people being people.

NB

hmmm

kristina l s's picture

Ok, let's see. Simon get's brownie points for accepting Cathy. He's basically a decent guy. He's also a selfish snot nosed prat. Wanting Cathy at the New Years Eve do... fine I get it. Make your own way to hospital... that needs some serious back-pedalling. Hey, had to get a bike ref in. The guy is ok... but boy does he need a wakey wakey smack to the head every now and again. I won't even mention the bike competitive thing. Boy ego... never did get it. Sorta why I'm me and not 'him' I guess. Damn Angharad...you're good.

Kristina

You said it for me, Kristina

Simon is back to being Simon

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Simon's was doing soo nice...

... (well nice for Simon) and he blew it at the end. It's not easy "not eating" with all those tasty snacks laying around, and everyone forgetting you can't eat/drink and pressing something on you... Not at all. Been there, done that (for blood work)...

Of course - this activity by Simon IS in character - the was the kind (demented? Nah) author has presented him so far. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens...

Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Annette

I guess

I guess this would fall under THE AMAB rule?

Geez, what a prig, or maybe a post

AMAB?

You lost me on that one - what does that stand for?

Another great episode - I'm so glad that this is not such a fairy tale where everything suddenly is so easy and goes so perfectly for the heroine - that'd be, oh, a bit boring, a word I would not venture to use to describe this story!

Simon's being the richly self-centered brat that he was brought up to be - if this is the way he behaved with with his previous girlfriends then I can see why those relationships didn't last. I've faith in his character (the character's character?), tho, that he'll redeem himself....

Haven't seen a dormouse in a quite a while - what are the chances that one'll stop by for lunch? ;)

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Oh oh.. Me! Me!

Yes..

The AMAB rule would be 'All Men Are Bastards'

It's a rule in the girls' handbook of 'Men, the other species. What to expect, and how to handle them.' handed out in the Secret Gathering around Ninth Grade, Grade 9, Fourth Year or Year 10, according your locale. It's usually complementary for TG-girls later in life after SRS.

You're welcome.. :)

Jo-Anne

Heh

... And that's only for straight girls. Us lesbians ones got the early edition by
First grade :-).

Kim

Special supplement

"How" to handle them is easy. The lesbian edition explains "why" we have to deal with them at all! It's a very small chapter. ;-)

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Oh you

got the little girls' one then. The one without the little pictures ( yes, little ) and large font. But I was quite jealous of that real neat colour though, and you _had_ cute kitties and flowers in them.

I always wondered how they managed to differentiate so early on. Oh well.

Jo-Anne

Poor Simon And Cathy, Just When Things Were Nice

They just had to have a fight. But something tells me that Stella will save the day.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Simon

I doubt they will fight. Simon let his mouth get ahead of his brain (as usual). Once they get back in sync he will realize what an ass he's been (again).

Could he be that stupid?

Maybe it's some kind of trick where he's going to surprise her with a quiet private evening at home.

Home

I doubt it. The party sounds just like the rich family he comes from and he probably never stopped to think about it at all.

It Could Happen

Simon has shown several clueless moments before, which he has then made up for, once he gets a chance to process how it's affecting Cathy. I guess Angharad will have to let us see if this is one of those times.

Just when I was starting to

Just when I was starting to like Simon Too. He turns into a jerk !
I wonder, would an electric razor be less scary?
Wouldn't you need to be a gymnast to reach everything ?

Cefin