Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 292

Printer-friendly version

Easy As..Make up your own, Bonzi's busy.
by Angharad.
part CCXCII.

Simon pulled up on some double yellow lines, so it was me who had to get out and brave the rain and the cold, as well as pay for his fish and chips and blessed mushy peas.

I went and stood in the queue not paying much attention to anything except how much the prices had increased since I'd last been there. Suddenly it was my turn and as I approached the counter, my stomach flipped. Behind the counter was Malcolm Bragg, or Melvin, as we used to call him.

"Can I help you love?" he asked.

"Oh sorry, yes, fish and chips twice and one mushy peas."

"Right love, that'll be eight pounds forty."

I handed over a tenner, he took it from my hand, then he looked at me, then at my hand, then at me. "Charlie?"

I nearly fainted, he had recognised the tiniest scar on the back of my hand, mainly because he had caused it with a bow and arrow. Not the sort I shot later, but a kids one, with, however, a sharp enough point on the arrow to stick in the back of my hand. Boy did I cry that day.

"It's Melvin, isn't it?"

"Yeah, you remember me."

"And your bow and arrow."

He looked at my hand and blushed. "Erm, yeah. You've changed rather a lot."

"Yes, I suppose I have."

I heard some giggling from behind, 'It is her.'

'Nah don't be daft,' more giggles.

"Excuse me," asked a teenage girl of about sixteen. "Are you the dormouse woman?"

"Maybe, what if I am?"

"What A-levels do you need to study dormice?"

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, course."

"Write to the Departmental Secretary at the Faculty of Biological Sciences at Portsmouth University and ask her to send you a prospectus. If you look on the web, you'll find an email address."

"Cor, thanks." She smiled and went back to her friend in the queue behind me.

"So it was you, on the film clip?"

"Yeah, fraid so." I sighed and took the bag he offered.

"You still at the same place?"

"Yes for a couple of days."

"Can I come round for a chat?"

"I suppose so ..."

"Excuse me darlin' can you chat up yer boyfriends in yer own time." The voice was a rather large blue collar worker type.

"Sorry," I said to him, "Give me a ring, it's in the book."

"Yeah, will do."

I pushed my way out past the two teens, who smiled and said, "Bye." I nodded and got in the car.

"Who was that?" asked Simon.

"A boy I knew at school."

"You mean he recognised you?"

"No he recognised this," I pointed to the mark just below my second finger.

"He's got good eyesight."

"Melvin? Yeah s'pose so. He wants to come round to talk."

"What about the kids?"

"I don't have any," I said without thinking about what I was saying.

"The two in the shop." Simon shook his head in bewilderment.

"Oh them. They wanted to know about the university and the dormouse juggling course."

"See, you've done wonders for their recruitment."

"Yeah sure."

"So what does Melvin want to talk about?"

"I don't bloody know do I, probably why I'm wearing a skirt and makeup, I didn't in junior school."

"So was he a friend of yours?"

"What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?"

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ..." Simon went off into one of his Monty Python sketches, for which I was quite grateful. It gave me time to think, just what did Melvin want? I had no idea.

"... and a fanatical devotion to the pope, we have three main ..." Simon continued his ramblings, while I continued my day dreams and memories of Melvin in school. He knew where I lived, he'd been there a few times as a kid. Because we couldn't get any girls to play with us, when he was Robin Hood, I had to play Maid Marion. We didn't have a dress or anything, just a floral patterned old curtain, which formed my cloak.

It was funny that he would tie me to the line post in his garden, then leap in Errol Flynn fashion to kill all the imaginary baddies and save me from the dastardly Sheriff. I would just swoon and say, "My Hero, Robin." We never kissed or anything like that, but he wouldn't be Marion for me to rescue as Robin. He was far too butch for that, and he was kind of bigger than me. Come to think of it, he seemed to enjoy tying me up, mind you part of me did too! Oops! I felt myself blushing.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ... oh bugger!" Simon had completed the entire sketch from memory. Thank God I hadn't mentioned, 'parrot'!

We arrived home and warmed up the chips and two plates in the oven, well the fridge isn't much use for that is it? Simon opened a bottle of Sauvignon and poured a couple of glasses.

"Now what's with this Melvin guy?"

"Nothing, I haven't seen him for five or six years, maybe longer. We drifted apart. I was surprised he recognised me."

"Maybe you haven't changed that much."

"Oh come off it Simon, last time he saw me I was a boy."

"Yeah, but basic face shape and so on doesn't change, perhaps you were a feminine looking boy."

"I suppose I was, at least I assume that I look okay now, so I must have been."

"You look beautiful, and once I've had me mushy peas, I am going to ravish you until you beg for mercy ..."

Simon was interrupted by the phone ringing. He answered it, as I was dishing up the food on the now too hot plates.

"Who, no Mr Watts is deceased, this is Simon Cameron ... Who? Charlie? No, there's no Charlie here. What? Oh you mean Cathy, yes hang on." He held the phone to his chest, "It's Malcolm Bragg."

"Oh!" I pushed my dinner back in the oven and pointed to Simon's plate, he handed me the phone.

As I took it there was a shout of, "Ouch! That sodding plate is hot!" Simon certainly didn't improve with keeping.

"Hello, Cathy Watts," I said.

"Charlie?"

"It's Cathy now," I corrected him, hoping he'd get the message without lengthy explanations.

"Look I can't stop now, I'm on my break, any chance you're around tomorrow?"

"What time? I'm trying to sort out my father's funeral arrangements."

"Oh, yeah, sorry to hear that. Tomorrow any time before about four, when I have to go into work."

"I suppose so, Simon and I could meet you say for lunch."

"Who's Simon?" he asked a little nervously.

"My fiance, is that a problem?"

"No, I suppose not, so you've gone all the way then?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, not entirely sure of his meaning.

"A sex change thing."

"Yes, why, is it a problem?"

"No, not at all, John Bennett always reckoned you were a girl anyway."

"John Bennett, oh Gordon, since when was he especially insightful?" I'd always thought he'd thought I was gay.

"Well that's what he told me, you were a sissy, especially when he saw us playing Robin Hood. It was his mother who was the sister on casualty when we took you down there with my arrow in your hand, remember?"

"No I don't."

"Yeah, an' when she asked, like, how we done it, you said you were playing Maid Marion and Robin Hood shot you. When Bennett found out he told the whole school remember?"

"Not particular ... oh, yes, I hope he's burning in hell somewhere."

"Nah, he's alright. I have to go, what about the Old Fusilier Pub at one o'clock tomorrow?"

"Yeah, okay." I got my meal from the oven and sat down at the kitchen table to eat it.

"You were right, babes, these are ace fish and chips, and the mushies are just brill."

"Yeah, what?" I broke out of my reverie. "He wants us to meet him for lunch tomorrow at a pub on the Gloucester Road.

"What for?"

"I don't know, but I don't think it's to apologise for trying to kill me twelve years ago."

"Come on, babes, eat up, this stuff is like Viagra to me."

My heart sank, a few hours ago maybe, but not now, except I hadn't dilated, so I suppose it could save some time there and make Simon happy. Part of me wondered if I took long enough eating, and let him drink the rest of the wine, whether he'd fall asleep and I'd be spared the, you know what. I sighed and ate another chip.

up
160 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well, Now We Meet Some From The Past [Chuckle]

It was neat meeting Charlie's friend and those teen girls too. Now it will be fun to see just what ghosts are brought up out of Cathy's sordid past. And will Simon get jealous?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Another day in the life....

Angharad, I don't know how you do it, but you keep the suspense up and the story moving! My curiosity is piqued; gotta wonder what Melvin's up to....

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

I hope that Simon does go

I hope that Simon does go with Cathy when she meets Melvin at the pub. I have a feeling she is going to need moral support when some of her past comes out at the meeting. J-Lynn

Gordon Bennett, Ang…

…whoever could you mean? I'm Sorry, I haven't a clue!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Would you all stop your filthy swearing, --snicker--

NOBODY caught on to it being a British swear phrase/exclamation of surprise? FOR SHAME!

I didn't read Ang's wiki link but I suspect it's from Cockney ryhming slang and is the equivalent of Jeepers, or or Shoot or other US-sisms for popluar sweares and curses. I'm curious how far off I am.

Poor Cathy needs to start dialating again and soon or all that pain and years of suffering will be wasted. Simon is clearly in love with Cathy, the person and the body and seem keen on having a physical relation as well. Cathy deserves it too.

Poor girl, her tombstone will read, "Lady Catherine Cameron, Nobel Peace Prize winner for her environmental leadership. Famed U-Tube mouse lady." and there is an engraving of Spike diving into her cleavage.

Thet video will haunt her to the grave and beyond.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Melvin Bragg

Perhaps Angharad should have explained for our US friends that Melvin Bragg (Lord Bragg, even) is a well known radio/TV personality who introduces arts type programmes. Hence anyone called Bragg is likely to attract the sobriquet Melvin - especially amongst school kids.

Interestingly (or probably not!) I have a scar on my left index finger where I sliced into it with a knife when attempting to cut a notch in an arrow as a 10 year-old. I still shudder to recall seeing the white bone surrounded by scarlet blood. I was braver than Charlie and didn't cry - I was too shocked lol.

I haven't contributed to the comments for a while so I thought I'd better encourage our valiant author to continue - particularly as I'm about to disappear for 4 weeks pedalling in mainland Europe. Gee, that'll be 28 episodes to catch up on when I get back. I wonder what'll happen?

Geoff

Another Box of Delights

Another Box of Delights, Angharad. You really know how to keep us hooked on this very addictive story. Long may it continue,

Hugs,

Hilary

Great work Angharad.

Cathy gets her own back. Maybe if they fool around, it will take the place of the exercises. Thats kewl. You keep writing and I'll keep reading. If you finish up, I'm sure you will get bored enough to do some more, so we win all the way around.

just a milestone note....with episode 292, I reached 1200 pages, 441,510 words, and 3132 KB. Thats a lot of effort and work from you and you have my thanks, as I'm sure everyone' else's also.

Roman numerals?

Come on, Ang, get with it! Roman numerals are so passe!

Try these for tomorrow (293):

Base 2: 100100101
Hexadecimal: 125

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I did Latin

Angharad's picture

not geek speak! I really don't see the point of decimals, they're not a fraction of alternatives.

Angharad

Angharad

No, you need something else

Scientific notation.

AEAFOAB part 2.92 x 10 to the 2nd power.

Not critcal yet but in a few thousand more chapters ...

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. What chapter are we at in binary?

John in Wauwatosa

100100100

erin's picture

Cute, huh? :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Wow, Erin

a repeating pattern. It's almost a work of art.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Is this your old spy training coming out? Or is it your inner geek?

John in Wauwatosa

A misspent education

erin's picture

The only degree I have is in math. :) So, I guess that's inner geek, because I saw the pattern immediately. :) I did a lot of work on a binary theory of how to find prime numbers once upon a time.

In a way, the story has already reached three hundreds. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I know it hurt last time

But the chapter ended on a pretty sour note for me. I don't like seeing Cathy avoiding intimacy the way she is. Not at all good for the relationship. Guess she needs to talk to her shrink and maybe to Stella.

Interesting New Character...

Wonder what he wants. :-)

The dinner does sound tasty!

I think I'll go look around for something else fun to read... Maybe something else by that Angharad lady. Maybe about Charlotte... (Hint, Hint, Hint)

Thanks,
Annette

Nothing New

for me to say! The story just keeps on going and just as interesting with its new wrinkles. I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out what Melvin Bragg (thanks for the comment that explained the significance of that name and the 'Gordon Bennett' one, too!) is going to contribute to the story. And we still have to find out what's in the SDB, eh?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Old friends

You do tend to leave them behind, when you get old enough they start dropping (unless you're first). This is something I suspect a lot of TG SRS types go through with a vengeance more than most. I haven't been so lucky, some of my best friends were the first to go.

Cathy is young enough not to have started this process. She has left a lot of people behind, and made terrific new friends. I just hope most of them can be with her for a while.

Ang, may you break a pencil

Ang, may you break a pencil point every time you write.
Here comes trouble.
Are mushy peas really better then Cialis??

Cefin

Thank you Angharad

Rhona McCloud's picture

When the behaviour of people in the public world gets too weird it's such a relief to be able to dive into 'Bike'. Going by my own experience; through all her adventures Cathy, her family and friends remain very human.

Rhona McCloud