Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 289

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Cliff.
by Angharad & Bonzi (he's in tonight).
part: 289

I stared at the bright metal of the brass screws holding down the ten inches of floor board, I looked at Simon and he looked back at me.

"What do you want to do?" he asked.

"Well assuming that was my mother I saw last night she seemed to think I needed to find whatever was under that."

"If you have a screwdriver, I think we can try and find out."

I rushed down the stairs and to the kitchen drawer where we kept one or two tools for fixing plugs and so on. Normally, when not rushing I can locate one in seconds, today my fingers were fumbling and it took forever, or seemed to. I grabbed at it and ran back up stairs handing it to Simon, who looked at it and shook his head.

"What's wrong with it?" I asked.

"The screws are normal ones, this is a Phillips type." He showed me the head of the screwdriver and it was designed for screwing cross cut headed screws. I groaned, snatched it off him and ran back downstairs, rummaged about for even longer in the drawer, found another screwdriver, checked the head, then ran back upstairs.

He took it, looked at it and then knelt down and began undoing the screws. I waited with bated breath as he undid all six screws, then levered up the piece of floor board. Thankfully, it wasn't tongue and groove.

"What's in there?" I practically squealed with tension.

"Nothing," he said peering into the cavity. "Maybe your dad removed it or didn't get around to inserting whatever was meant to go in here." He felt around then said, "Hang on, I've got something, feels like a small cash box."

The tension was almost palpable, and I was shaking with excitement. What could it be? Jewellery, money, a treasure map?

He managed to eventually persuade the box out into the open, it was locked. He felt about for the key, it wasn't there. I felt about, my smaller hands unable to find anything resembling a key.

"I could always force it, but somehow I don't think we're meant to, this has been put here quite deliberately in recent years if not months."

I shrugged my shoulders and picked up the box, scratched on the bottom in barely discernible writing was the word, 'Monet'. I showed it to Simon.

"French artist, wasn't he?"

"Yes, follow me." I led him into the bathroom where we had a framed poster of the 'Lily pond'. I pulled it off the wall and taped to the back of it was a key.

Back to the bedroom and I placed the key into the lock of the cash box and it fit. I turned it and throwing open the lid saw something wrapped in brown paper. That was all.

I dumped the box on the dressing table and frantically undid the paper, inside was another key. "What on earth?" I held the key for Simon to see. "What is this, some kind of treasure hunt?"

"I know what that is," said Simon smugly.

"It's a key, even I can see that."

"Yes babes, but I know what sort of key."

"Looks like a padlock or filing cabinet to me, but there isn't one in the house."

Simon smirked and shook his head. "Uh uh!" he said.

"Well come on then, tell me."

"What's it worth?"

"I don't know, until we find out what it is and what's in there, we may never bloody know, now tell me!" I was beginning to get rather wound up.

"Is it worth a kiss?"

I felt more like slapping him than kissing him. However, in the interests of my sanity and curiosity, I pecked him on the lips.

"Call that a kiss?" He smirked again, and the temptation to whack him one grew immeasurably. Instead I played the game, and kissed him more enthusiastically. "That's better, but still not good enough, I'm afraid."

"Oh sod this for a game of soldiers!" I spat and grabbed him by the short and curlies and other dangly bits. He jumped, dropped the key and squeaked.

"Okay, okay, Cathy, I'll tell you. Just let go."

"Uh uh!" I said and shook my head, "You first."

"Okay, leggo," I shook my head at his pleading and squeezed a little harder. "Okay, it's a key to a safety deposit box. Now leggo!"

I smiled and released my grip, "Now that wasn't so hard was it," I said stooping down to pick up the key, whereupon he smacked me hard on the bottom. "Ouch!" I screeched and fell onto the bed.

"Sadist!" he accused me.

"Bully!" I shouted back, rubbing my bum.

"Meee? You were the one who got up close and personal," he said loudly, while rubbing something, which made him wince a little.

I sniggered, "You shouldn't keep secrets from me."

"Yeah, so I see."

"If you'd told me immediately, I'd have kissed you for being clever."

"You can kiss something better if you like."

"On yer bike!" I dismissed his suggestion.

"Ride a bike after what you did to me, no way Jose!"

"Try riding the cobbles in Belgium, then you'll know what sore means."

"Not bloody likely, dumb I may be, stupid I ain't."

"So what bank do you reckon?"

"Could be one of hundreds."

"Oh, doesn't it say?" I held it closer to the light. All it had was a number.

"It's a British bank."

"How do you know that?" I was impressed again.

He covered his crotch with his hand, "There's a seven in the number and there's no line through it as per the continent."

"Alimentary, my dear Watson." I said beaming at him.

"Don't you mean, elementary?"

"No my tummy's rumbling and I want some breakfast." I smiled and went down stairs.

We ate and drank and a short time later after discussing where the information could be about the bank, I started taking pictures down and looking on the back of them. I almost felt like ripping the paper off the backs of them, but I knew my parents would never have done anything that required such destruction.

An hour later, we were no further advanced with our problem, in fact we were exhausted and in order to make the place tidy had to replace all the pictures. I grabbed a duster while Simon made some tea, and as I replaced them, I dusted them first, examining the frames once again for any clues. Of course there weren't any.

Simon called me to come and get my tea and I went down to the kitchen. "We're never going to find this out are we?"

"I have no idea, except it would seem pointless to have gone this far and not allow you to go any farther." He shrugged, he was good at that.

"I can't think there is anything of great value in it anyway. Daddy wasn't poor, but he wasn't rich either."

"What if he was secreting money from the tax man or something like that? We'd have to declare it."

"Yeah, I suppose, but if it's jewellery or something of sentimental value, I don't think I need to then, do I?"

"I think it depends upon the material value of it."

"Come on Mum, why did you tell me this and not finish the story?"

"What did she say exactly?"

"Something about having to work for it or search for it. Can't remember."

"The problem is, that we can't just go into any bank and ask to open a deposit box."

"They do in the films."

"Cathy, this is real life, you know where people eat and go to the toilet, have bad teeth and ingrowing toenails."

"Yeah, okay."

"Didn't your dad have somewhere he used as an office?"

"He had an office which he resigned from after the stroke wasn't going to get better. He'd have had time to remove stuff from there. There's a photo of it hanging up in the cloakroom." I got up to get it to show him, just a black and white photo of an office. "See it's just a picture of his office....and the bank next door! Oh no, I couldn't see the wood for the trees."

Simon looked at the photo, "It could be," he said. He looked it up in the phone book. It was now half past ten, "They should be open, go and see if he has any bank statements, there'll be a cost for renting it every month or two."

I went off to the dining room where Daddy kept all his personal papers in two or three box files. I picked out the 'finance' one and began to go through the bank statements.

Simon came through a little later, "Sorry, that bank doesn't do deposit boxes."

"How do you know?"

"I just called them pretending to want to rent one."

"Oh, that was clever of you." I was really impressed and wouldn't have thought to do that myself.

"Hey, what's this," this time I had found something. His ordinary bank was charging him for a deposit box, not only that, but it gave the number and it matched the one on the key. "Clever dick!" I said to Simon.

"Dunno about clever, it's decidedly sore at the minute."

"Oh dear, sorry about that, would you like me to kiss it better?" I said and winked at him.

"I think it would feel safer if you kept away from it for a little while."

"Aw!" I said and smiled innocently at him.

up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Whatever Next?

Gosh, that's a turn up for the book. All we need now is Hughie Greene—take the money, open the box, take the money, open the box.

Great episode, Ang,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

wrong quiz

Angharad's picture

That was Michael Miles not Hughie Greene, and I mean that most sincerely folks! Ugh!

Angharad

Angharad

I always thought of him as…

…Hughie GRIN! You're right, of course. I'd totally forgotten Michael Miles—the Quiz Inquisitor, wasn't he?

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I remember . . .

One episode of that. He was giving away--wait for it

£15

I guess in those days it was worth something more than two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, plus cab fare home!

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Great banter

from our two detectives. Also great job Angharad on keeping us in suspense for yet another day. Cathy... be a little more gentle with Simon, please. Don't you remember?

Woody

Simon will learn

Trying to be clever is going to get him hurt! I do admire Cathy's restraint, of course she expects to have a use for that particular bit at some point in the future. ;-)

Don't the banks in the UK stop access to a person's accounts and such when they die? I've read of people having a bad time here in the U.S., husband dies and widow has financial difficulties 'cause she hasn't got any money aside from the joint bank account.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A safety deposit box

Angharad's picture

is different to an account. They have no idea what you keep in it.

Angharad

Angharad

No diff

The stuff I read said that ALL bank stuff is frozen. It was an article I read years ago, tips to planning ahead for a spousal death. One of the points it made was not to keep insurance policies and such in a safe deposit box because the bank would seal them after the owner dies.

In my experience here in the U.S., you also have to be listed as being allowed access to the box in the first place. Many, too many years ago I had keys to my mom and dad's safety deposit boxes while they were overseas; and I had to go in first with one of them and be identified and sign a signature card before the bank would permit me access. This was strictly for the SD boxes, I did not have access to their banking accounts. (Good thing, too!)

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yes and no.

Sole owner accounts ARE frozen here in the states (until the Will is probated). Safe deposit boxes... It depends on the kind of contract on them. That said, as Simon indicated, the contents are likely to be considered part of the estate, unless they show other ownership.

Annette

Me Thinks That Poor Simon Has Just Learned One Very Good

Lesson and that is to NOT pick on Cathy too much as his Jewels can be forfeit. But now to see what is in the box, Perhaps something to shut up Cathy's snobby Aunt?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Quibbles

Oh, just to be annoying, here are some quibbles, based on what I know about U.S. safety deposit boxes, with some assumptions that British ones are administered similarly:

1) the box number is never printed on the key. it's a security thing. what's printed on the key is the lock number. they regularly change locks on safety deposit boxes, like when someone doesn't pay the rent.

2) you don't need to know your box number, at least in the bank i use. everything is filed under your name, and you have to sign in to get into the vault room, anyway. your box number is listed on your signature card.

3) an adminstrator/executor of an estate needs neither the box number nor the key. without the key, all that is required to open the box is to pay the fee to have the lock drilled. they do need some official document that shows Court appointment to execute the estate, but that isn't hard to get.

4) even with the key, to open the box without being the listed box owner, you still need a piece of paper discussed above in (3).

:-( Simon pushed, until it hurt...

... He pushed Cathy and teased her about the key... Once or twice, maybe. But she DID over-react just a tad. Funny though, I'd not realized they were running around the house in their birthday suits at this point...

I do wonder what's in the Box though...

Maybe it's the number to one of those "swiss bank accounts" you hear about in movies... Or the key to one of those safe deposit boxes... :-)

Annette

Birthday suits? not hardly!!

In the last chapter, Cathy got dressed after she told Simon what had happened, and that her mother had said something about under the dresser. Simon told her finish her tea, which she did, then went and put on a skirt and sweater. So she, at least, was not naked. It is only an assumption, but because of Simons' upbringing, he probably had on a dressing robe of some kind.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

It's good to see you giving Cathy and us fans

a nice break from all the tough things she's been going thru.Mom's blessing word there is a god a break from Stella and now a little safebox mystery plus Simon showing his good side.Amy enjoying the break from tissue expenditures!

Boxes

It's boxes all the way down!

Wasn't Cathy given the power

Wasn't Cathy given the power of attorney. In the US, that ends at death. why ruin a good story
Great natural dialog. Cathy must be more careful with the family jewels.

Cefin