Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 338

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Stepping On A Rake!
by:Angharad
part:338

S-works_Ruby.jpg

Listening to Simon offering to behave himself in future almost had me laughing out loud. He was unaware that I had heard Stella’s call to him, telling him to pull his socks up, or else.

I mused on the effect these two had on each other. They clearly loved each other as siblings sometimes do, but there was also a substantial amount of rivalry, too. I was fortunate that I had missed out on that, being an only child, or was I fortunate? I suppose I’ll never know.

I now had a sister in Stella, and felt immensely proud of that fact. We loved each other like sisters and because the relationship had begun as adults, we didn’t have the usual childhood jealousies to work through, which must be a pain. Cooperation, not competition–that was us. I suddenly thought, what if she had ridden a bike? Good job she didn’t.

Tom was home long before me. “I wondered where you were?” he said off-handedly.

“I was out with Des initially, then I popped up to see Stella.”

“Cathy, I have to remind you that you have been released duties for film making not visiting relatives.”

“I did spend quite a lot of my time writing scripts and things, so I don’t think they should begrudge me an hour or two.”

“Des called while you were away, he’s sent you some emails.”

“Oh, thank you.”

“Don’t push your luck with work.”

“Okay, thanks for the warning.”

“It’s only because I’m fond of you and don’t want to see you in trouble. After your interview with the Dean, you need to keep out of the way and just do the mundane stuff well. I’ve got Pippa to schedule you some classes and tutorials for the rest of the week.”

“Okay, I presume then that any work I do on the film will be in my own time?”

“Unless it’s scheduled, looks like it will be.”

I went off to the kitchen, Tom had made himself a curry. My appetite was zilch, I felt quite angry although I knew he was trying to protect me. When I thought about the time I’d had off, I really couldn’t complain. But I still felt irritated. I took an apple and some cold milk and went to check my emails.

Tom has the study, it is his house after all, so I plug my laptop in on a point in the dining room. We have wi-fi so the internet is no problem. Des had sent me pictures of the dormice photos he’d taken. They were quite impressive. I decided I needed to get a new camera sometime and take some of my own. Usually I leave such things to the technicians, but if ever I move on, it would be nice to have some of my own, with my own copyright.

I sent back and thanked him for the photos and apologised if I had seemed a bit PMS to him. He must have been online because he wrote back a few moments later.

‘PMS — protecting my Simon? He’s big enough and ugly enough to look after himself. Glad to hear Stella is coming on, she always was a nice type–barking–but nice.’

I smiled at his reply and decided against further exchanges that evening, I felt quite tired and had an early night; falling asleep over my book. I woke up when it fell off the bed and bumped on the floor.

The rest of the week went by with some degree of normality. I taught and tutored as required and spent spare time discussing by email, the ideas and plans that were necessary to do the film. Des had booked the equipment and was excited that he’d managed to get the infra-red camera. Certainly, things were coming together.

I spoke to Henry, to explain the progress with the film planning and he was pleased. He’d also asked me to write a short report on the advice I had given the bank regarding it’s environmental policies. So that kept me busy.

As the evenings were drawing out and the Easter break advancing, I managed the odd bike ride too. During the holiday, I was going to do a ride every day if it didn’t rain. I hoped to get back to my two hour training rides by the end of March, which meant a forty mile ride. At present, I was capable of half that.

I also made an appointment to see Dr Thomas after Easter, not for any specific reason, more a sort of touch base with her, type of thing. I seemed to be coping with most things reasonably well, given the things that had happened.

Simon came home and we went out to dinner, then we got home and after a chat with Tom, we went to bed and made love. It was nice and we both enjoyed it. Okay, it still hurts a bit, but I don’t have much time to dilate and Simon being away doesn’t help in using other methods to stretch a point, if you see what I mean.

Finally, the world championships came on and wow! Nine golds, which should have been ten, Pendleton wobbled and that nasty American pushed past, so rude! The ‘Pocket Rocket’ never quite recovered. Wiggins and Hoy were amazing, truly so, and the Madison with Wiggins and Cavendish–was out of this world. How did they do it? I nearly wet myself with excitement and Simon was nearly as rapt up with it as I was. Tom just laughed at us, he’s an infidel, doesn’t believe in the god of cycling–the Boardman and his chief prophet Brailsford.

Simon and I did get a couple of rides in during the Easter weekend, him on his allez, and still complaining that he wants a carbon fibre bike. He doesn’t seem to appreciate that until he gets fit, it’s not going to improve his ride. Having said that, I used the Specialized and with its external bottom bracket bearings, the power transmission is better and I had to hold back to let him stay with me. I told him he needed to ride more often if he wanted to get better at it. He just grumbled about where would he ride when he was working? I’m sure he could if he wanted to, and maybe involve Henry as well, he’s still quite useful on a bike.

I saw some sand martins which means the summer migrants are arriving, which probably means it will get colder. Bloody weather!

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A lot happened in this one.

Only a little chat, to ground Cathy I guess.

So quiet... WHen's the next foot going to drop?

Annette

the bike pictured

Angharad's picture

is the Specialized S-works Ruby SL, the top of the range of the 'designs for women' range of bikes they do. It's the one Simon gave Cathy for Christmas (about £4000). Significantly higher spec than my own bike - lucky dab!

Angharad

Angharad

338--The worlds

Brought back some memories that did. Has it really been that long?

Goodness,I really do have some catching up to do.

Onwards then...

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Specialized

I know zip about bikes, but to my eye I liked the look of the Specialized.
Simon seems to have taken heed of Stella's advice.
Will Stella be home for May Day ?