Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 371

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike - Hard As Landing On The Road!
by Angharad & Bouncing Bonzi
part 371.

The next few days were as boring as before, perhaps more so as I was staying awake more of the time. Stella came in every day in time for Dr Kelly's coffee break or lunch. If he was busy, she stayed and chatted with me.

At the end of that week, I was off all the machines and breathing much more easily, I could now laugh without it hurting, although coughing was not a good idea. I wondered how long would it take to get fit for riding again.

They decided to put me straight into a medical ward instead of high dependency. Young Dr Kelly still came to see me each day, as did Stella and they tended to disappear together. I was now able to walk to the loo and to shower myself, so thoughts of going home came increasingly to my mind.

I began to ask the doctors and the ward sister when I could go home.

"You have to appreciate how ill you've been, you very nearly died." The sister replied.

"Yes, I was there, part of the time anyway."

"I don't think you realise how much blood you lost."

"Is that why I keep feeling like I'm somebody else?" I said in response and the stupid doctor thought I meant it. Thank goodness I didn't actually say, but I'm a Jehova's Witness. I was simply bored out of my brain.

I did discover the hospital had a gym attached and did manage to go down and do some mild exercising and then zonked out afterwards. I was in one such post exercise coma when Stella came to visit and her Siamese twin Dr Kelly appeared milliseconds later. When they found I 'd been on an exercise bike for an hour, they went somewhat ballistic. I'd only done twelve miles, why the fuss?

"Cathy, are you raving mad?"

"I will be if I stay here much longer."

"It could take you up to two years to recover from the sort of experience you've had, you nearly died." Padraig tried to lay down the law.

"Yes but that was with boredom, since I discovered the gym, life has been better."

"Stella told me you like to ride regularly and are quite good."

"What else did she tell you?" I asked.

"That trying to get you to cooperate with taking it easy, would be pretty well impossible."

"Yes I did," she stood there arms crossed across her chest.

"Did she also tell you, she's a pathological liar, given to delusional states and that she once tried to convince Tom she was a hedgehog?"

"No she didn't," he gave me a very funny look.

"Damn, it must be my medication, then."

He looked at me even more strangely, then glanced at Stella. Suddenly, he began to snigger, which then grew into a chuckle: from whence it became a chortle, a laugh and finally a guffaw. He obviously liked to build up to a laugh.

"You two are crazy," he pronounced finally.

"If you think we're crazy, you should see her step-mum, she is barking, probably something to do with her having come from Labrador." As I said this, even Stella's stony countenance began to crack and she snorted.

"Just what am I going to do with you?" Padraig asked me, actually, I think he asked anyone with an opinion, I just happened to answer first.

"Send me home, I can get a nurse to pop in everyday." Unless she's out with you, I felt like adding, but didn't.

"I'm going to start charging you fees if you think I'm going to stay home and look after you." Stella sounded quite serious to the uncultured ear.

"I'll get my fiance to pay them, he's a banker you know!" I sneered at her.

"Banker, I must have misheard that earlier," she riposted.

"Ladies, please, have some decorum."

"Nah, it's too fattening," I said.

"It is not, not if you get the decorum lite, it has the secret ingredient, manners - which cost nothing and weigh even less." Stella was back on form.

"Manners! Pah! What do you know about manners, you who think that racism, is believing in what's going to win the Derby?"

"Isn't it? You mean to tell me it's something else?"

"I'm afraid so, and theism, isn't a belief in the definite article."

Padraig had to leave the room he was laughing so much. When he returned a few moments later, he said, "You two should be on the stage doing stand-up or improvisations."

"I don't think so," I said, "most audiences fail to catch the speed of the one liners. Consequently, they miss most of them."

"I'm not entirely surprised. I hear you like Monty Python." He asked me.

"I have been known to watch the odd one several times."

"Why am I not surprised?" he said.

"It's nothing to do with BBC saying anything, either. No, it's just the surreal experience when you two get going."

"What!" I tried to sound shocked and distressed, instead giving an impression of a broken bell push. "I am cut to the quick," I said emotionally - all of it false.

"Yeah, but we healed that," he said quickly before anyone else could.

"Can I go home then?"

"Tomorrow, I shall have words with my boss, if he says, okay, you can go."

"Oh good. Right, wench, pack me a bag." I said to Stella.

"Wench! I'll go and get a wrench, and bang you on the head with it."

"Leaving here will be such a wrench." I said dramatically.

"Yeah, monkey variety," said Stella ending the discussion.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ladies!

They need to start recording themselves. Gotta be enough material for a couple of comedy albums.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Great stuff, Ang!

What a tonic a laugh is. I was giggling so much I nearly ended up with soggy Sloggis!

Hugs,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

is that

Angharad's picture

grin and tonic? 8)

Angharad

Angharad

Monty Python Huh?

Did he ever ride a bike? Great to see the sisters back in form. That Doctor Kelly sounds like a good match for Stella. I wonder how he'll get along with Simon and Tom and Kiki?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Ooh.. Blasphemy

Did he ever ride a bike? My, Stan, did you forget: Bicycle Repairman? Oh I'm shocked. Shocked I say.

OT: Keep it up Angharad, for a looong time. If only for the banter. It's hilarious.

Jo-Anne

She needs time to heal ...

Perhaps a cycling tour of Wales and Cornwall.

>>

Day one: Fell off bike, trouser leg caught on the pump.

>>

To paraphrase the masters.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Wrench

I thought in British a wrench was called a spanner - they also have wrenches?
Is this one of those things like when what we call chips they call crisps, because they call something else chips? Or are what they call a spanner and a wrench the same thing?

We have wrenches too

We have wrenches in UK, but they are usually of the adjustable type and are also called monkey wrenches (don't ask me why). A spanner can be adjustable, but then it is called an adjustable spanner. Spanner on its own usually denotes that it is a fixed size and usually double-ended with a different size on the other end.

We also have wonderful wenches!

Another great chapter, Ang. My “wee monkey wench” will adore it; I can almost hear her giggles already.

Hugs,
Hilary

As Cathy and Stella consider

As Cathy and Stella consider themselves "sisters"; their back and forth banter sounds very much like an old radio program series I loved to listen to called "The Bickersons"(late 40's-early 50's). It was a husband and wife going at each other, very much in the same way these two adorable women are going at each other, yet you could still sense the love each had for the other. J-Lynn

Wow... I'm really amazed at ...

...Cathy did 12 miles on a stationary bike that soon after that much blood loss. WOW. I'm impressed (that she's not thinking things through).

Thanks for another banter filled story. Sounds like the young Doctor is a match for Stella...

Thanks,

Annette

Attacker

It would be interesting to hear what happened to him. He had his own medical issues as I recall. I'm just curious if he will ever make a comeback.

Funny,Funny Lady Camerans

Nice to see those two in such fine fettle.
I have great hopes for Stella.
Thanks, Angharad for continued chapters.

Cefin

Love The Banter

In this chapter, it's good to see Stella back in fine fettle, maybe Dr. Kelly will help her to stay on a more even keel.

I'm still a long way from catching up on this story, but I'm enjoying every bit of it, thanks, Angharad!