Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 251

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Angharad
part 251

I ran over to my car, Stella's bag was still down in the footwell. I felt my eyes tear up. They had taken her.

"What the hell is going on?" Tom was stood by my side.

"They've got Stella."

"Who's got Stella?"

"Those bastards, the Russian ones."

"How do you know?"

"I recognised the one who tried to take me."

"Is that who was lying on the pavement by the department?"

"Yes, he was one of the ones who tried to knock me off my bike."

"How did he get knocked out?"

"You don't want to know."

"Cathy, did you knock him down?"

"Yes, he pulled a gun on me, oh shit!" I began to run towards the entrance. The big Russian was on his feet, albeit unsteadily. He was waving the gun and people were giving him a wide berth.

"Where have they taken Stella?" I screamed at him.

"You little bitch, you think you can get the better of Ivan, huh!" He aimed the gun at me and I stood there unafraid.

"Put it down or I'll kill you!" I screamed at him.

"No girly, I kill you."

I pushed Tom out of the way and stepped towards him he pointed the gun at me then after the sound of pot breaking he crumpled and fell headlong onto the flagstones. Pippa stood behind him the remains of a Swiss cheese plant in her hands.

"Oops!" she said.

Another member of staff kicked the gun away from the limp hand which had threatened me moments ago.

I dashed forwards to hug Pippa and thank her for saving my life. She was trembling and crying, so was I. Police sirens sounded in the car park. Part of me wished they'd stayed away longer so I could extract Stella's whereabouts from our captive, assuming we hadn't actually killed him.

For the next two hours, I drank tea, trembled and answered questions. It seemed there was some organised crime in which Russian mobs were involved, in the Portsmouth area.

It seems that having set me up with the phone call, they took Stella, maybe they were going to anyway, but they hit a car as they were leaving, which meant their vehicle was easier to get sightings of, they were dragging a front bumper.

Of course they abandoned the car and set fire to it to destroy evidence. Another must-have met them. According to the driver of the car they hit, thankfully a big old Ford, there were two men in the Landcruiser, one of whom seemed to be fighting with a woman.

I was led to Tom's office to give my statement. "Oh not you!" It was the detective constable I'd met over the poison pen letters.
"What's this I hear about you laying out some Ruskie thug?"

"He wanted to pinch my bum." I joked.

"I wondered if he'd sent you a nasty letter."

"Is he alright?"

"I don't think we'll charge you with assault."

"He got up after I hit him, admittedly a few minutes later."

"Your secretary decked him I hear."

"Yep, caught him with her shorthand pad, old Ninja trick."

"Cathy, please be serious. I believe a plant pot assisted her."

"Yes, the guy was going to shoot me. He'd had one try when I hit him."

"You hit him?"

"No, I kicked him, Stella had been teaching me some kickboxing, it worked."

"You laid out one of these boys before, you caught a thief, rescued a kiddie from a burning car. You don't have an 'S' on your vest and wear your panties over your tights, do you?"

"No. Just lucky, I suppose."

"Lucky! You're a one woman anti-crime wave."

"So what do we do now?" I asked.

"Nothing until we tell you. They have your mobile number, they'll be in touch, probably making threats to harm Lady Cameron, the other one."

"I'm not one yet. I have to marry Simon first, then I get the title as part of the compensation package."

She smiled at my joke, "Is life with the elite that bad, then?"

"Nah, they're okay, a bit undomesticated but I lay the law down when I have to."

My phone started to ring, I froze and my stomach did backflips. I looked at the number calling, it was Simon.

"What the hell is going on?" he demanded.

"I'm still talking to the police, can I call you back?"

"Yes, why didn't you call me earlier?"

"Simon, I'm still talking to the police, as far as I know Tom or Pippa were going to call your dad and he was going to notify you. They obviously did."

"No I found out while on my prayer mat, of course he told me, why couldn't you?"

"Simon, I am still with the police, the bad guys have this phone number, so will you please get off the line."

"There is no line, it's a mobile."

"Simon, piss off, I'll see you later. I have to go." I ended the call. "Sorry about that."

"It's okay, he's obviously worried about his sister," commented the young copper.

I read my statement when she got it typed up and I signed it as being an accurate account of what I believed happened. I was just about to go, when a superintendent entered the room, a man in his late thirties with a morose expression.

"Miss Watts, on no account are you to try and deal with these people by yourself. They are extremely dangerous. Last week they killed a Russian businessman in London, and two of his bodyguards. Don't mess with them, I mean it."

Oh bugger! All I have to protect me is Simon and I suspect I might have to protect him, he'd either go ape and get himself killed or injured or he'd go all wuss on me.

I felt a twinge of discomfort down below, I hoped my stitches had held and I certainly would not be dilating tonight. I consoled myself with the fact that if I hadn't fought the bloke off, I might be dead by now so protecting my surgical wound would be irrelevant. I prayed that Stella was okay.

"What do I do if they phone?" I asked the senior officer.

"Oh my people will take care of that, we'll tell you what to say."

"What do you mean, exactly?"

"Oh you'll have a couple of my officers with you at all times. They'll use one of these eavesdropping machines, with your consent of course."

"I have a choice?"

"Of course Miss Watts, but I can't answer for the consequences if you don't heed our advice, and have to warn you that it's an imprisonable offence to obstruct the police."

"Thanks, I really needed to know that. I'm hardly going to put my sister's life at risk am I?"

"I didn't know you were related."

"She is like a sister to me and I love her as one. I wouldn't do anything to put her at risk, assuming she is still alive."

"One has to assume so."

"Has the one we captured told you anything?"

"He's in hospital with a fractured skull, you hit him harder than you thought."

"I think my secretary may be the one who doesn't know her own strength."

"Perhaps, we did have a witness to your response to the gun. They said it was something out of a Kung Fu film. You're not a licensed martial arts practitioner, by any chance?"

"No, but he was trying to kill me."

"I doubt there'll be any charges for your assault."

"Charges, he had a gun on me, it was self-defence."

"Look, I don't make the laws, I just enforce them where I can."

"Have you ever had someone hold a loaded gun on you?"

"Yes, once, why?"

"What did you do?"

"I shot him dead, why?"

"I would have done too, maybe you could loan me a gun?"

"Fortunately no, unless you've had a specified amount of training, you shouldn't be near a gun."

"Tell that to the bad guys and I'll do my bit to keep away from guns too."

"Don't try to acquire a shotgun or anything, we'll turn you down."

"Oh that's alright, I'll just use my rocket-propelled grenade and Japanese sword."

"I hope that is sarcasm not a statement of fact."

"Of course it is. Can I go now?"

"Yes, my men are waiting for you at Professor Agnew's house."

As I left, I wondered how I could arm myself. I know statistically if you carry a gun you are more likely to be shot, or stabbed if you have a knife. I'd never fired a gun in my life, I hated the things. Tom had a shotgun, I hope the police didn't know. Duh! Of course they knew, they gave him the permit.

I had fired a bow, a recurve and a compound. The latter could be useful, I had to ditch the cops to find somewhere to buy one. The internet maybe, or would they be tapping that too. If I used wi-fi they would.

On the way out I managed to get access to Tom's office and used his puter to order a bow and a dozen arrows. A compound bow with forty pound pull could put an arrow through chain mail. I was quite good with a bow once upon a time, as a Sagittarian, maybe it feels natural to use one. Or maybe that's just guff. Given a chance I'd have little compunction in shooting someone with a bow to protect myself or a loved one, including Spike.

As I drove home, still worried about Stella, I smiled at the thought that my package would be delivered tomorrow, that had cost quite a bit extra. What I could use for a more concealed weapon, I didn't know, but I took home a night vision intensifier. If they came at night, I might just see them.

up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy the avenger

If this episode wasn't so frightening with Stella taken I'd be laughing. Just imagining Cathy dressed all in black with her night vision goggles and bow and arrows. Those poor criminals wouldn't have a chance against her if they came after her at night. Cops might not look too favorably on our fair maiden leaving corpses with arrows sticking out of them laying around. I guess Lord Cameron might be useful there. Can England knight a woman? (I sure hope so, after all, this is the 21st century)

Knighted Women

Women have been, and continue to be, knighted. Whenever you see Dame so and so being mentioned, the lady in question has been knighted.

Even Britain's most prestigous Order of the Garter is now open to women. Margaret Thatcher, the 1st female PM, is a member.

Is it a ’plane? Is it a Bird?…

…Well, sort of, It's SUPER CATH!

Great episode, Ang.

gaabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Proper training

A person should not use any weapon they do not have training in. That so many people try is the main reason for the statistics mentioned. And in the U.K. I seriously doubt an average citizen would ever be able to get the necessary training to properly employ a firearm.

However, I have serious doubts about the police being able to properly handle this. I certainly haven't been impressed with their efficiency so far. Perhaps Cameron Senior has access to better-qualified people.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Somebodys going to get perforated

Night vision equipment and a compound bow?

Sounds like Russian Mafia Kabobs may be on the menu soon.

The Camerons strike me as a bit naive. They tried to abduct Cathy before yet Simon or the Lord didn't think to have private detectives tailing the women just in case? Or hidden transmitters in their clothing, personal panic alarms in bracelets?

And is Spike okay???? My cats are very concerned.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Perforated Crooks

Sounds good to me. Cathy's apparently reasonably skilled with a bow, with night goggles also, she'll show them what for!

I laughed after I read your Russian Mafia kebobs on the menu comment.

As for Spike, I believe she is unharmed inside the labs.

I agree that Henry or Simon should have thought about having some form of protection available, mini radio transmitters would be good, even better if the transmitters have GPS capabilities so they can be tracked.

Cathy Is Mad, Very Mad

I do not feel sorry for those Russians. They will regret causing Cathy any problems. Maybe she should copy "Dity Harry's Motto. Do You Feel Lucky? before she shoots.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh NO!!!!

CaroL

You know, I am beginning to think being innocent little Cathy's prospective sister-in-law is dangerous to one's health!!! Poor Stella. She is always winding up in the hospital or something because of Cathy, and even Simon once after being shot. Perhaps her antipathy toward peers is subconsciously leading her to try to off them? She should really wait until she is married, and then she could inherit and fund all the research she wants. Oh dear, life used to be so much more, ummmm, settled for her. LOL

CaroL

Cathy with a bow and arrows

Makes me think of Robin Hood.Atleast as Robin Hood she wouldn't have to wear her knickers on the outside of her tights.Another great chapter Angharad and hopefully you'll be writing in the next chapter or two about how stella made the Russians regret taking her.Amy

O Henry's story...The Ransom of Red Chief

Your comment made me think of this story in which a rich man's son is kidnapped by a couple of bumbling would be criminals. The kid considers it a lark and has a great time but the criminals come to regret ever meeting him. Eventually the father agrees to hold onto the kid for enough time for the criminals to make themselves disappear. Unfortunately, I can't believe the russians are the bumbling fools we saw in the story otherwise I'd figure that before long, Stella'd have them wanting to give her back before she drives them crazy.

Ho boy...

... Seems they picked the wrong girl to piss off...

I begin to wonder how many end up with things sticking out of them...

Interesting episode sequence.

Annette

Getting the Point(s)

If you're doing anything with a bow besides shooting at targets, you might want to consider a few packs of hunting points, like for instance,

http://www.westforthsports.com/browseproducts/NAP-Crossfire-...

or

http://www.westforthsports.com/browseproducts/Barrie-Assassi...

Arrows, like golf-clubs, are pretty high-tech these days. Hollow shafts with a screw fitting for interchangeable heads. High-tensile aluminum, fiberglass or carbon fiber for the shaft itself. The various razor-points are used for hunting because they have much more chance of killing the prey than merely tormenting it. You don't have to get quite so lucky with a broadhead as you would with a field point (target point) to bring down a beastie.

No, I don't hunt, but I do cook. So, if anyone out there happens to bag more venison than they can use, and has had it properly butchered, please don't hesitate to give me a call. It's hard for me to believe, but I've actually met hunters who can't find anyone to share their kill, because of squeamishness.

Meanwhile, don't go shooting people with razor broadheads unless you want them dead. I gather that it's a big deal surgically repairing the damage one of those does.

I remember reading about a little accessory a hunter could add to the shaft, just behind the head, to carry some kind of sedative/paralytic agent to keep your prey from running away. I wouldn't doubt that it's been banned in most places, if it ever was legal. I found a patent for it that describes how it was supposed to work. Here's a link to it in the US Patent database.

Another point

Never shoot anything with anything (other than maybe a Taser or some teargas) unless you mean to kill it, be it two or four-legged. There is no such thing as shooting to wound outside the movies or TV. If you pull any weapon on a person you had best be prepared to use it to take that person's life. That's why so many people are shot with their own weapon, they were not prepared to use it.

Too many people think that having a weapon is enough, and it isn't. Sure, any sensible person will treat a weapon-toting person with a great deal of respect; but if they were sensible you wouldn't be needing that weapon in the first place, would you?

And if carrying a gun or other weapon makes you feel ten feet tall and covered with hair (euh, gross!), then leave it at home. As one officer I know told a kid at a football game one night when the kid asked if his gun was real, he replied "No, it's made of chocolate". "Why chocolate?" the kid asked. "So I can eat it if anybody ever takes it away from me," he replied. :-)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I remember talking to a cop...

... He said the first time he had to pull the trigger at a person, he's really glad the bad guy was a worse shot than he ended up being. He hit the side of the building about 15 above the bad guy's head he said. He never found out where the bad guy's bullet went. (I think it's a case of we're VERY lucky no innocent bystander was hit.)

The rest of the story, the bad guy dropped his gun and ran for it. Other bits. The cop in question was a successful hunter and on the shooting range had scored exctremely well. So the comments about being "willing to kill" are apparently true, even for professionals. And, we see yet another case for getting rid of hand guns. (Though the cop in question disagrees on the latter.)

Annette

caths concealed weapon

ya take a long stretchy tube sock, drop in a couple rolls of coins tie a knot in the end.
It makes a surprisingly effective cosh, or sap.
Charles Bronson did this in the film 'Death Wish'.
This simple weapon delivers a punch like a prize fighter, and in the dark (using a black sock) these thugs wouldn't even see it coming.

Avenger

Someone just had to mention Cathy dressed all in black running around in the dark with her NVG's. Emma Peel anyone? Simon did say he wanted her to wear sexier clothes. :) I seem to remember Diana Rigg doing something similar with a bow. Never fear Super Cathy is here!
hugs!
grover

I'm Almost Ashamed to admit this...

but the first thing I thought of after the description of Cathy dressed all in black was Jessica Alba in "Dark Angel". She didn't have need of the night vision goggles, but...

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

I was just thinking...

about the thugs's phone call to his boss:

"Hi boss, yeah it's me Ivan. I'm in the hospital prison wing."

"Oh how did you end up there?"

"The girly boy took me out bare handed. Can you get the lawyers to bail me out?"

*sound of hysterical laughter on the other end of the phone line*

*click*

As an enforcer or heavy muscle he'll never live this one down. Don't know which would be worse for the poor fellow, going back to his bosses or ratting them out. I think either way life as he knew it is over.

Arwen

funny

You know the most esteemed author is correct? The comments are the best part of this sometimes. Arwen your 'phone call' had me in stitches! Poor Ivan, I can see him along with Cathy's other victims commiserating about underestimating the "Lady".
hugs!
grover

Fascinating!!

As usual, Ang, but, if Cathy's going to have two police officers with her at all times (wasn't that what the supt. said?), what does she need the arsenal for?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

UK officers

Cathy probably has very little faith in the local constabulary, their track record up until now hasn't been very good. A couple of unarmed officers against likely heavily-armed thugs? "Halt, or I'll blow my whistle!"

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Things have moved on

Angharad's picture

since Dixon of Dock Green, every force has an armed response unit plus helicopter back up. There are more armed police now than ever. I find this a sad reflexion on current UK society.

Angharad

Angharad

They're Just Getting in Step

with the rest of us.

We're just getting used to the idea that we have to send **two** police officers (armed, of course) to every call, even domestic disputes and noisy dog calls, something that L.A. has been doing since the 50's.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

OT: Police Response

"...we have to send **two** police officers ... to every call, even domestic disputes..." Wait a minute!

Domestic disputes are hands down the most dangerous situation a police officer gets involved in on a regular basis. Ask any police officer. Two officers would be a minimum response, some people who are known to the involved agency may merit three or four responding officers. They have gotten even more dangerous since mandatory arrests in domestic violence situations came about.

A typical, all too common situation would go something like this: he beats the hell out of her and she calls the police. Officer arrives, hears both sides and observes the injuries on her; and places him under arrest. She freaks out, screams "Don't take him, I love him!" and sticks a knife in the officer's back. End result: he is in jail for domestic violence, she is in jail for murder/manslaughter (DA's decision), and somebody has to bury their spouse and figure out how to raise their kids alone.

So don't think "domestic" calls are easy or simple.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Agreed

Yes, that's right, Karen and I agree wholeheartedly on something! Domestic calls are the ones that ALL police officers try to avoid. They're scary and unpredictable -- more so than any other kinds. One of my police officer friends and her partner have a standard policy when they're sent to a Domestic call. He leaves his gun in the car so that there's no grab for it, and she unsnaps the guard on her holster. He walks up and makes contact, she stays at least 6-10 feet back and watches for ANY random movement that would threaten either of them or those involved.

She told me around the New Year that all of her nightmares the past 7 years (she's been a police officer for about 8 years) have involved answering a Domestic call.

domestics

Amen I agree 115%. Domestics are the pitts. And in Indiana, an arrest is almost compulsory if the offender is still on the scene. All it takes is seeing tears, or even tear streaks on her face, or a complaint of pain or a visible indicator of where he hit her. (Or she as the case may be. I'm an equal opportunity slob). Even a statement of his admission he touched her in anger is pretty much enuff. And the victim has no say in it. The arrest is made whether the victim wishes it or not. The state acts as the prosecuting victim, not the victim of the domestic violence. And protective orders are issued free for those needing them, instead of being charged the filing fee etc. and they are issued automatically.

I personally would never leave my sidearm in my vehicle even with a partner backup. I use a hoster that takes several snaps in the correct position and correct motions to remove the weapon from the holster, so the bad guy has to be very god, or very lucky to get access to it. And then, I never carry ammunition my body armor can't stop. Of course that still leaves a head shot opening or a lower body hit, but the average person is not going to go for that initially, I hope.

Perhaps Darryl could help

He'd see it coming!

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

humor

Somehow I don't think the humor with a family member gone would go over well. I especially don't like that cop, self defense is not a luxury, but a right, anywhere. And as for the shotgun permit, if my life was in danger (or more especially those I love) I don't really give a rats arse.

I recommend a compound, drive

I recommend a compound, drive a broadhead through any body armour.
Wow, great action ! Like an episode from Miami Vice.
Now to retrieve poor Stella ( you really don't like her do you?)
If Cathy's bleeding, please no styptic pencil, brrr.

Cefin