Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 182

Printer-friendly version

I drove over to the cottage, now less than worried about the press. It was a mess, it had been searched, thankfully, they weren't vandals, so whilst they ripped out the back of wardobes and things, they didn't rip up the clothing. I took several more items down to the car. I didn't think I'd be coming back for a while.

I tidied up Stella and Simon's clothes, but left everything else. The young copper on the door was bored stiff, but he had his job to do, so after making him a cuppa and some sandwiches, I left.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Angharad
part:182

"Tom, do not go in until the police get there?" I said loudly down the phone.

"Wassup?" asked Simon.

I waved him to be quiet. "Tom where are you?"

"It's a bit of a mess, stuff all over the place?"

"The cottage has been broken into, no sign of Stella so far?" I said to Simon, who paled visibly.

He went on muttering something, but I was listening to Tom who was calling Stella and saying who he was. Then I could hear police sirens from the phone so presumed the cavalry had arrived.

"I have to go Cathy, the police are here, I'll call you later."

"Jeez, what more can happen?" said Simon. He looked very angry.

"Look Si, neither of us has had much sleep, go and shower while I call room service and have something sent up."

"I'm not too hungry," he said.

"Neither am I, but I have a feeling this could be a long day." I put my arm around his waist. "We can call the hospital later and see if she's turned up for work. She might have stayed with John?"

"Yeah okay, order me some coffee and a bit of toast." he said and went off to the shower.

I called room service and ordered two full English breakfasts plus tea and coffee. I also asked them to be as quick as they could.

The food arrived while I was showering, Simon tipped the waiter and was busy pouring tea and coffee when I emerged in the towelling robe.

He seemd to eat with gusto, I had to force mine down. I don't like big breakfasts but I had this feeling that food would not be a priority for the rest of the day.

"Where else could she be?" I asked Simon who was busy on his fourth piece of toast and marmalade.

"Search me?" he shrugged and reached for another slice of toast. I'd had one and left half my bacon and egg. The tea was good.

"What happens next?" I asked with regard to going home.

"A car is supposed to arrive about nine, to avoid the M5 rush hour."

"Oh, so we won't be there until lunch time," It wasn't even eight yet.

"Sod it, I'm gonna hire a chopper." He picked up his mobile.

"Can't we do fixed wing?" I asked not wanting to get in another helicoter for a while, not longer than say, a lifetime.

"No, you come down by car, I'll meet you later." He picked up the service phone, "This is Lord Cameron, get me a motorbike taxi, I need to be at the airport in half an hour."

"A what taxi?"

"It's a motorbike not a car, gets through the traffic easier."

"Oh!" I didn't even know they existed. "Please be careful," I hugged and kissed him. "I don't want to be widdowed before I'm married."

"They can't hurt me, I'm an aristocrat," he smiled.

"Erm, what do I do about the bill for this place?"

"Oh that's taken care of, just sign out, it automatically goes to the bank."

"I can't sign it, I don't work for the bank."

"Yes you do, Environmental consultant."

"But I haven't agreed to that yet!"

"No but I have, your first paycheque should be in the bank by now."

"What!" I was about to argue with him, when my mobile rang and so did the service phone.

"Yes?" I snapped into my phone.

"Hey don't take that tone of voice with me?"

"Sorry Tom, getting a bit tense."

"Okay I'll forgive you. The good news is no Stella, the bad is, they trashed the house."

"Well thank goodness for small mercies." I was relieved there was no body.

Simon mouthed, 'Tom?'.

I held the phone to my chest, "Yes no sign of Stella and the place has been trashed."

"Fuck that, I've gotta go, bring my bag with you?"

"Course I will," I kissed him goodbye and he grabbed his coat and was gone. He would be quite cold before he go to the airport.

"Okay Tom, do they know what happened?"

"No idea. Can't say she was or wasn't here."

"Damn, there's a car supposedly bringing me back later this morning."

"You have a key to get in?"

"Yes in my bag."

"Good, I'll see you later. If you dash off somewhere, tell me."

"Okay Tom, I'm not likely to do that, that's boy stuff."

"Yeah yeah, I remember Emma Peel and her bike leathers, how do I know the updated version isn't a lycra ladette?"

"Erm..." before I could reply he was gone. I went back to dress, 'John Steed' had packed his bag and left it on the bed.

I took my time and called Stella several times. She wasn't at the hospital, for some reason she didn't have a clinic booked today. It gave me a little hope that she was simply away somewhere, but why didn't she tell anyone?

The phone rang, it was my driver. A bell boy came up for the bags and took me down to the reception desk. "If you could sign here please, Lady Cameron." I was going to protest but thought, 'what the hell'. "I trust everything was to your satisfaction?"

"Yes it was fine thank you, I was quite impressed with the room service last night and again this morning."

"You're very kind, but if you could relay that to Lord Stanebury, we'd be most grateful."

"But of course. Did you want to inspect the kitchens or anywhere else?"

"No thank you, I have to dash off."

"Thank you for staying with us."

I nodded, or was going to be here all day.

I made a little small talk with the driver but he seemed more interested in the radio, so I found myself nodding off. I'd asked him to drop me off at the town centre, where I gave him a fiver and walked round the corner to a taxi rank. From there I went to Tom's house.

Once in a pair of jeans and trainers, I felt more action minded. I again tried Stella. No answer, even her voice mail was off, which puzzled me.

I drove over to the cottage, now less than worried about the press. It was a mess, it had been searched, thankfully, they weren't vandals, so whilst they ripped out the back of wardobes and things, they didn't rip up the clothing. I took several more items down to the car. I didn't think I'd be coming back for a while.

I tidied up Stella and Simon's clothes, but left everything else. The young copper on the door was bored stiff, but he had his job to do, so after making him a cuppa and some sandwiches, I left.

My phone received a text as I was driving back to Tom's. I pulled over as soon as I could. It was from Stella, or at least from her phone.

'Wot is goin on?
Stel.'

I called back her phone. This time she answered it. We talked for a few minutes, when she heard about the attack on her dad and the house break in, she was shocked and then cried. She asked me to come and get her. She was at a private clinic on the outskirts of the city. I knew where it was because I sometimes cycled out there going to the downs. I was puzzled to say the least.

I drove there as quickly as I could. She was sat inside talking on her mobile. I waited, picking up the overnight case she had with her. She looked the same, well she looked pale and drawn, so she hadn't had any plastic surgery as far as I could tell, I mean she didn't look like Jordan or Anne Robinson, the former with basket balls for boobs and the latter with a face like botoxed ferret.

"I think you'd better come back to Tom's. They're waiting for a locksmith to secure the house, new front door etc."

"Oh, did Simon authorise that?"

"No I did on your behalf, I hope that's okay."

"Sure, I'll need more clothes."

"I'll drop you off at Tom's and go get some for you."

"No let's go to the cottage now, sort it in one go." She paused as if getting her breath. "You won't tell Simon where you found me will you?"

"Where did I pick you up then?"

"John's house."

"Okay, but I don't understand the need for secrecy between us. I mean it's not as if you just had an abor...., oh shit! You didn't did you?"

I glanced at her, she was nodding and the tears were streaming down her face.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah, hell!

Stella is really reckless, isn't she! If she'd confided in Cathy, she wouldn't have had to go through it alone, silly girl.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

How could Stella have confided ...

... in Cathy when she didn't even know she was pregnant until 3 days ago? Angharad does evil things to her characters on a whim as we all know and she admits. I'm eagerly awaiting the revolt of the innocents when their tormentor gets hers.

A regularly amused Geoff

Don't blame me

Angharad's picture

I'm only the messenger! I only knew about it two paragraphs before Cathy.

Angharad 8)

Angharad

Geez Angharad!

You just twist away in any direction. No one can keep up with you.

I wonder, do you have nightmares all of the time and you just write them down, and throw them into a story anywhere? I guess you don't sleep anymore because fo them. So you just WRITE, Write, write, until you're writed out. LOL!

Good job as always dear, enjoying the twists, turns, potholes, and bumps. What a thrill ride.

Hugs
Joni W

Stella needs Cathy now...

She's gotta need some help now. What a thing to have had to decide.

If it were to come out... Cathy's "issues" would certainly take back stage.

Wow

Your Fertile Imagination…

…is mind-boggling, Sis! Thank goodness Stella's okay.

Wow, the thot plickens even more!

Whatever next?

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

my boggle is fertile

Angharad's picture

the mindling has long gone I imagine!

My characters just tend to be a little catastrophe prone.

Thanks for the subliminal advertising of my Gaby serial!

Angharad

Angharad

Who is saving who?

Stella and Simon are two booze guzzling fools at times.

I mean, Simon and Cathy have to hide from the press and possible mob kidnapers and Simion's best idea is to drink a bottle of wine and champange! It's okay to have fun, Cathy was too serious before, but they would party in a burning house, I swear. The whole family needs to get serious though the way Simon acted with reguard to the taxi cycle shows maybe alot of that upper class twit is a false front.

Why the abortion? Is John married, was the child not his? Here she has something Cathy would give an arm and a leg for, a potential child, and she ends it. Why not ask Cathy for support? Stella likely had a good reason to do so but it seemed out of the blue. Did John dump her?

Ack! The twists and turns are driving me bonkers ... Boing, boing, boing ...

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Great question John

I didn't even think to ask that one. I assume that John doesn't know but you're right, even though the time is not right for Cathy to have a child. Wonder, will she ream Stella an extra orifice or two before giving her some loving emotional support?

Confused like John

I'm also wondering about the why of the abortion. I got the impression that things were ok between Stella and John. I also find it very unlikely that her family would strongly object to her being pregnant and unmaried considering the other family members aren't exactly 'normal' either. I guess there could be some medical reason, but if that was the case, then why did she not prevent getting pregnant in the first place ?

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

At Least Stella Is Alive And Well

Seeing the cottage trashed definitely had everybody worried. Poor Stella now has Cathy and her wisdom to help her cope with events. Cathy has grown from a frightened, shy student into a caring woman that Simon and his family adores.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A favorite quote from a movie

One of my favorite quotes from a movie is at the end of "Pretty Woman" where 'Edward' asks what happens when the prince climbs the tower and saves the princess. 'Vivian's' response is, "She saves him right back."

Why is that relevant here? Well, seems to me that Stella has in her own twisted way, "saved" Charlie by forcing him to admit to himself that it was time to become Cathy full time. Now Cathy has fame as a field biologist (unwanted), a fiance (that she wasn't looking for), as some future point a title (certainly unwanted), fame as a near super hero (when she wanted to keep a low profile), and a date for plumbing adjustment. She's gone from a, dare I say, mousey, mild probably boring guy to almost an ideal of a modern woman and we have to blame Stella (and herself) for that.

I'm hoping that Stella will need some support and with Simon completely clueless, her step mom definitely not appropriate, and John certainly not a good candidate, the natural one to turn to will be her 'sister' Cathy who is sure to be kind, supportive, sensitive, and there for her. Maybe in a small way, Cathy can, "Save her right back."

Good chapter Angharad. I'm glad Stella wasn't kidnaped or injured physically. Wondering about her mental state. Of course many of us have been wondering about Stella's mental state all along but this is a really serious issue or at least I hope it is. Hoping Stellla isn't one of those heartless types who blow it off as if it's getting rid of a wart or something. I'm pro choice but that sure doesn't make me pro abortion.

Woody

Reason and Justification

I'm sure Angharad will elucidate us in the next episode. This is just the kind of cliffhanger she loves to leave us with!

As for the expression "heartless types," I really object to that. That was Stella's decision to make, and the only one whose opinion matters in those instances is the one making the decision. A woman has thousands of eggs and will have hundreds of menstrual cycles prior to menopause, and she only has one body and one lifetime and can only nurture a limited number of children.

Maybe John is fun, but not the one she'd want for a father to her child. Maybe she had amnio and the fetus is defective. Maybe she simply realized she's been drinking too heavily lately and doesn't want to bear a child with fetal alcohol syndrome (look it up -- it ain't pretty). None of that is heartlessness. It's called responsibility.

Anyway, stay tuned. I'm sure Angharad will tell us tomorrow!

Revealed! Why Paxman couldn't make it—

The reason why Jeremy Paxman couldn't make it to Bristol to interview Cathy has now been revealed. On BBC Radio tonight it has just been revealed that Mr Paxman is having problems with his underpants! Evidently he has complained to the CEO of Marks & Spencer that their underpants no longer give him the support he likes.

Why didn't you tell us, Angharad?

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Paxo's pants.

Paxman seems to have what we now must call 'issues' with Marks and Sparks over their inadequately supportive underpants. I must confess my own intimate requirements are perfectly satisfied by visits to the local factory shops - we peasants can't afford M&S.

I happened to be browsing the October/November issue of the CTC magazine this evening and Paxman features as the celebrity cyclist. I wonder if there's any connection between the two stories?

Geoff

Another interesting twist in

Another interesting twist in an all together captivating story. Angharad, please keep them coming, as it is fun to try and figure out how the story will unfold. Janice Lynn

Catching up

I had come lately to this story. I found that it was hard to tear myself away from reading the next chapter. Thanks for a very good read.

Barb

Barb Allan

Did not see that coming.

Twisty. Very twisty.

Wonder is John will ever know?

The kitchen sink

Wait a minute I thought a RN would get out of trouble easier. Demon Rum
The author just found out Stella was preggo
Who steering this ship ?? Is that an iceberg! Not to fear we'll go faster and miss them
The relief has been overshadowed

Cefin

Cefin.