Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 139

Printer-friendly version

Encounters with animals! The monkeys srike back but help comes from an unexpected source - India! See for yourself....

Easy As ....you know the rest.
by: me again, couldn't sleep.
part: who's counting.

The next morning, I awoke from my troubled night with tired eyes, however, I wasn't quite as fragile as my two house mates. It was quite funny banging dishes and doors and seeing the response. Stella's was the more enjoyable, she actually chased me with a knife at one point, except running made her head ache even more.

At eight thirty I called Dr Thomas and was put through to her herself, much to my surprise. "Hello Dr Thomas."

"Hello, its's Cathy Watts, I'd like to make and appointment to see Dr Thomas. As soon as I can, please."

"Hello, Cathy, it's Dr Thomas."

"Hi, doctor, can I make an appointment to see you, I need your advice."

"It sounds urgent, is it?"

"Pretty urgent, I suppose."

"Let me see, I am absolutely solid today, how about tomorrow....can you come in early, say at eight?"

"Gosh, you start early," I gasped.

"Only when I need to, can you make it or not?"

"I'll be there doctor."

"Good, I'll have some coffee on."

"Thank you."

"Tomorrow then."

I counted myself lucky that such a busy person was prepared to put herself out for me. I decided to take her some flowers or a little thank you gift.

Breakfast was a slice of fresh bread with some jam and copious cups of tea. Stella was muttering and drinking water with soluble aspirins, and Simon was still prone in his bed.

I helped get him up and dressed and left the two hangover sufferers to go into uni and from there to my room. Simon wanted me to stay with them, but I told them I needed to do some work.

Once at the lab, I discovered I had three students who wanted to take part in my study project, two girls and a boy. I left messages for them to contact me. I cleared out my cupboard of the remains of the last night I did field work.

The book, my records, or what was left of them I dumped in the bin along with the remains of my rucksack and the image intensifier. I had no stomach to go out on my own to the woodland sites, unless it was in daylight and even then I felt scared.

I'd arranged a tutorial with Judy and we met as scheduled. I found us a small room that was free for a couple of hours. She brought me her work and I realised we had quite a lot to do to help her catch up. Amazingly, she was okay with the maths, the bit that always tripped me up, it was the biology that seemed to overwhelm her. Takes all sorts I suppose. She was a mathematician essentially from her A levels, she hadn't done any biology since her GCSE levels, and that was pretty scant.

"Why did you want to do zoology? It looks as if mathematics is your bag?" I asked her over a cuppa.

"Dunno, it all got a little too abstract and I wanted to help fight global warming. I saw something about Professor Agnew in the paper and decided I wanted to study under him."

"Well it's a good department, and I hope will have an impact on understanding climate change through its effects on habitats and those in turn of the mammals living there."

"Do you think it's too late to turn things around?"

"I don't know, it's not my job to decide that, only to feedback what I can from my own study. But the bigger the overall picture, the more understanding there will be. So it all helps."

"Yeah I guess," she sighed and we went through her difficulties. I felt they weren't insurmountable, just time consuming. We set up the next meeting and I set her some prpearation to do beforehand, rewriting an essay which had got poor marks. We were going to resubmit each of them after I'd helped her understand the processes each explored.

"I like working with you," she said, "you take your time to make sure I understand, like having a big sister."

"Don't you have any siblings?" I asked.

"No, Mum and Dad decided they only wanted one child and to give me all they could. Unfortunately no one asked me what I wanted, which was a sister, or even a brother."

"Yeah, I know the feeling."

"Dad said your mum died recently."

"Yes, about a month ago."

"I'm sorry, it must be tough."

"Well, these things happen but my father having a stroke hasn't helped."

"Oh my goodness, that's awful."

"Yeah, for him it is, he was quite active before, at present he's still awaiting full assessment at Southmead."

"How often do you get to see him?"

"I try and get up weekly, make him some soup and bread. He won't eat hospital food if he can help it."

"Do you like cooking?"

"It's okay, my fiance seems to enjoy it."

"You're engaged?" She looked startled, then blushing said, "Is that like to a man or a woman?"

"I'm a woman, okay?" she nodded with open mouth. "So I'm engaged to a lovely man who wouldn't take no for an answer."

"Like wow! Have you got a ring yet?"

"Not yet, he only put the thumbscrews on yesterday. I wanted to wait until I'd got my doctorate, he wanted to go ahead. I weakened."

"So this like happened yesterday?"

"Yes."

"Oh wow, congratulations." She jumped up and hugged me, kissing me on the cheek.

"Yeah, can you keep this under your hat. I have enough to deal with at the moment."

"Yeah, course I will."

"Go on clear off, you'll be late for your lab work," I gently scolded her.

The rest of the day I spent working on my survey, playing with figures, it looked as if my colonies were increasing in size albeit slowly. That left me feeling happy as I drove back to my room. The mail box soon dissipated that feeling, I recognised another poison pen letter.

I'd pinched some latex gloves from the lab and put them on before opening the letter.

'Hello Sissyboy,
Still prancing about in girly clothes then? Not for much longer though. The day of reckoning is coming, and the count down has started.

An ill-wisher'

I placed it in a plastic sandwich bag to hand to the police tomorrow.

The other mail was boring bills or junk. I decided to pop to the shop to get some fresh milk and ironically some bread. Simon had consumed all of the loaf I'd baked helped by Stella and my own couple of slices.

I was wearing jeans, a polo necked jumper and a denim jacket along with my trainers, okay they were girly ones, Reeboks with pink trim. As I walked along my mind on going to the police after seeing Dr Thomas meant I was too self absorbed to notice Big mac and his sidekick Tiger approaching. Ha Tiger, Tigger would have been more appropriate, he was about as dangerous as Winnie the Pooh's friend.

"Oh look it's our own sissy." The words hit me like a bucket of water. I stopped in my tracks. "That's right isn't it Cathy, or is it really Charlie?"

I had nowhere to run, Bigmac was stood to one side and Tiger was at the other with a wall behind me. I had to stand and take their insults and hopefully talk my way out of a beating.

"To think you nearly fooled me, Charlie, I even half fancied you. But the uni is full of the rumours of our pretty sissy."

"Excuse me, I have things to do," I said trying to push past them.

Bigmac pushed me back against the wall. "I hear sissies like to give blow jobs, is that right?"

"I wouldn't know, I'm a woman," I said trying not to shake too much and show how frightened I was.

Big mac laughed. "I'm a woman," he repeated in a silly voice. "No you're not, you're a sissy, some prissed up little boy, who wants to be a girl. Well maybe we'll help you!" He grabbed at my crotch which hurt, but the expression on his face was shock. "He ain't got none."

"What!" his friend exclaimed, what no balls.

I pushed him away from me, slapping his hand from the crotch of my jeans. "I told you, I'm a woman."

"Are you having trouble?" said a voice from behind the two thugs, it was the shopkeeper.

"They were just going," I spat at the two would be assailants.

"Oh good, but I have telephoned the police just in case, they are on their way."

The two half-wits walked away back towards their rooms and mine. I was still shaking and tears were forming.

"Come into my shop and sit down for a moment," the shopkeeper assisted me down the road a few yards and into his shop. He took me through and into the backroom, where I plonked myself into a chair. "I will get us some tea, the cup that refreshes." I sat feeling shocked, yes shocked, and the shaking and the tears began in earnest.

"Here, drink this," he handed me a mug of hot,strong tea. Far stronger than I normally drank, and when I tasted it, it had several sugars. Oh God, I can't drink this.

He sat with me and watched as I forced it down. Somehow I managed it, without doing a reprise, all over his room. "Thank you."

"You don't have a brother do you?" he asked.

"No, I lied to you, I'm sorry." The tears flowed again.

"There is no need to apologise, you were protecting yourself. I understand."

"I'll stay away from your shop if you want me too," I offered feeling ashamed of myself.

"Don't do that, you are one of my favourite customers, I like to see your pretty, smiling face."

"Thank you."

"You are most welcome. How is your father?"

"I haven't seen him for a few days, but he was okay the last time I saw him, except he refuses to eat hospital food when he can get away with it."

"So what does he eat?"

"When I go home I make him soup and bake him bread."

"Like a true daughter would."

"Yeah, I suppose."

"Your father is a lucky man, to have such a beautiful and dutiful daughter."

"Hey that rhymes," I said laughing, although tears were still flowing.

"My goodness me, so it does. I am a poet, no?" He laughed back at me.

"I'd better go."

"Where were you going, when they accosted you?"

"I was coming here to get some milk and things."

"Well come on then, I can't turn down my favourite customer." I wiped my face, which thankfully had little or no make up on and followed him out to the shop, his wife was serving a customer and smiled at me.

"Are you better now?" she asked in a very Indian accent.

"Yes thank you."

"It is good, I am glad," she chirrupped.

I got my milk, some more tissues and toilet paper, and some rolls along with a box of six eggs. I was going to do some egg rolls for myself.

"Will you be alright with those boys or should I walk you back?"

"I think you should walk her back, Raj, you do not know what they might try again."

"I'll be alright honestly, they only stopped me because I was thinking about other things and didn't see them until it was too late."

"They could be waiting in the doorway of your building, Raj you must go with her."

Despite my protests, he walked me right up to my room. I thanked him and pecked him on the cheek, whereupon he did a little dance and smiled at me. Then he went back to his shop. I went into my room chuckling, he was such a nice man, compared to the two tossers along the corridor.

I shut the door and secured it with my patented device. It didn't make me feel any more secure really and I did wonder about moving elsewhere. I knew I could move in with Simon and Stella, but I didn't want to do that, not yet anyway, I needed somewhere I could come and think without distraction.

I made myself some tea, as I liked it, not too strong and no sugar. I then reflected on my eventful evening. The nasty letter and its envelope were before me in the plastic bag, and my run in with the clowns along the corridor. They had both used the word 'sissy' I suppose it's a common enough term of derision towards less than masculine men. So I should expect it, except my dangleless crotch had them confused.

I presumed that Bigmac had intended to injure my genitals, to help me achieve womanhood! Only he was surprised to discover no dangly bits. Now he may decide I had them tucked away with a gaff or whatever they call them, or he may just consider I don't have any. His Crocodile Dundee method of deciding sex, was very crude if not cruel, although I suppose I did grab Tiger there a week or two before, when pulling him out of my way. I giggled at that which meant I needed a wee. I had some bruising starting around my groin, but it was better than it would have been had I really had something to grab hold of.

Later, eating my egg rolls, I did wonder if the letters and the boys were connected and decided they weren't, they only seemed to realise about me when they learned from uni, the grapevine was working well. Oh well as long as the press didn't find out, I hoped I would cope with the innuendo or strange looks I was going to get for a few weeks. I knew that all I had to do was stick it out for a few more weeks and it would cease to be news. I just had to hold my nerve, and let's face it, I didn't have a choice. This was my bed and I had to lay in it.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Feel free to comment, we don't charge for the service.

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You're getting very prolific.

Not that anyone's complaining, I'm sure.

You're getting very difficult though. I think lots of us (2?) had guessed it was Judy who was involved in the poison pen stuff, but now you're portraying her as supportive and appreciating the academic support Cathy's providing. Even Cathy's ruled out the Neanderthal pair who are threatening violence openly - so who? I'll personally strangle you if you come up with a totally new character shouting 'Deus ex Machina' as I do it ;)

Another thing to concern our heroine is the binge drinking her future husband and sister-in-law indulge in. Or am I just an old-fashioned fuddy duddy? Simon'll be buying her one of those £35,000 cocktails I've been reading about this weekend, but with the engagement ring in the bottom of it.

Sleep well and get better soon

Geoff

PS Just noticed; wouldn't Simon more likely be supine in bed? If he was prone, he'd be lying on his injured chest. Picky, picky hehehe

comment?

kristina l s's picture

Don't be daft... well not 'till you spill who the dyke is and who's falling off her. Has kitty got dis-temper or something?

Oh..ok. Illwisher seems to have a nice little campaign going, the rumour mills turning and the pressure is ramping up. Someone on the campus..staff maybe? Student bigot in some sort of authority position? Oh the joys of coming out. You do learn who your friends are though. Not fond of that S word at all. Keep scribblin'

I'll PM you the bill.

Kristina

...hah, leapfrogging comments Geoff

We should remember that ...

... in the UK, dyke has several meanings. There is of course the new one, meaning the 'male' partner in a lesbian relationship, but there are two others. First is a wall and second is a ditch - don't ask me why. You can fall off either of them, because in the flat part of Lincolnshire the ditches (drainage dykes) are built up and the water can be higher than the surrounding land. This area of Lincolnshire is called ... Holland! Don't tell me! It's a LOT more than you wanted (or needed) to know, but I'm a show off ;)

Anyway, I think Angharad is merely toying with our sensibilities. Lovely i'n't it?

G

Angharad is merely toying with our sensibilities.

In the short time that I've been following her works, this seems to be her modis operandi. (Which I've probably butchered.)

I actually rather enjoy her way of teasing us, her readers. 'Tis why I keep reading.

Anyways, I am American and was also familiar with the additional meanings of dyke. We spell it dike here for the other two, but the meanings remain the same, and occasionally you do come across some neanderthals spelling the lesbian meaning dike. There's also at least one other slang meaning - wire cutters.

... Then again, I'm hardly a "normal" American when it comes to vocabulary. Or linguistic skill... Or grammar... well... you get the idea. ;)

Abigail Drew.

Comment two

Well how about Simon's and Stella's Mum?

It has already been listed that Simon's dad already knew about Cathy before she first met them. Not unusual for the rich. They want to check up on people to see who is real or a threat. The mother may have something against TG people, who knows? I know some Lesbians that are not happy with TG people in genral, especially the bull Dykes.

Remember, Simon's mum actually was agressive towards Cathy, and it is now obvious she knew that Cathy was not a genetic woman. Could she actually be protecting the family name? I noticed that the father, at the time, really did not talk to Cathy all that much and paid more attention to his daughter Stella.

Just trying to think outside the box.

I mean whoever it is knows Cathy's BMW, and knows that she is spending time at the hospital, where the poison pen note was placed on the windshield of the car, or windscreen as the britts call it.

The two male idiots, that live down the hall, definately had no clue about Cathy until this encounter, so it couldn't be them.

By the way, what about the camera that was suppose to be in the letter box to watch who puts mail in the boxes? Why didn't she re-adjust it to catch the perp? It was mentioned once in your story that it didn't line up. But I thought it said that someone blocked it out. Could that mean that the person knows what the camera looks like, so must be one of the workers from the lab? They would know what the camera looks like and would be able to identify it.

Are the police really going to help Cathy or are they just doing the "Yea, yea we will look into it. (maybe in twenty years or so, pervert)" Will Simon realize what is going on, on how the police are working, that he may step up the action and get them to move on the situation. I mean the police is holding all the evidence and Cathy has no copies, so it is their word against hers, that there is a problem. I may just be a bit synical when it comes to working with people that are suppose to protect us, I guess. They can be as corrupt as the next person. I watch to many conspiracy movies I guess.

Good job Angharad as usual. You're a writing dynamo.

Hugs
Joni W

Comment...

I like egg rolls too... Mater of fact, I had one last night. Maybe that's what caused you to write this... NAH.

Fun (well, mostly) things happen in this episode.

And yet...

Neither Stella nor Simon know the full story, though between them they do. Don't these people ever talk?

If there are bruises then there was an assault. Cathy needs to address this situation, and stop putting it off!

There's LOTS of talking...

There's LOTS of talking in this story... Only, sometimes it seems there's little communicating. :-)

Anne

Sometimes...

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

what is communicated is that someone is firmly entrenched, and not willing to budge a millimetre…

comments

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

“No, Mum and Dad decided they only wanted one child and to give me all they could. Unfortunately no one asked me what I wanted, which was a sister, or even a brother.”

That rings a bell. After countless times telling my mom that she should’ve had a girl (maybe we could be friends by now), she finally told me that she had wanted a boy. Of course, she has never asked me what I want to be, not there in the beginning, nor ever since.

“I’m a woman okay?” she nodded with open mouth. “So I’m engaged to a lovely man who wouldn’t take no for an answer.”

I’m sure you must know that the two do not necessarily equate? If one must be a trans-woman, it certainly makes life simpler to prefer men, but not everyone is quite that lucky. My feelings are often divided between wanting to be with a woman I fancy, and wanting to be her. The confusion that produces is not at all pleasant. To make matters worse, I have met men (“trans-fans”) who fancied me even though I could never be mistaken for female, but have had very few girlfriends. That hurts.