Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 166

Printer-friendly version

I was introduced to the producer of the programme, who was a woman. I always thought they were men who went around in beards and sandals shouting 'cut', or was that directors? Shows what I know. Well Des had a beard and sandals, even in the rain. I was wondering what Simon would look like with a beard. Hmmm maybe I like beards?

As Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part (14dozen less 2).

I followed Des's Landrover into the BBC carpark, finding a visitor's space. He led me into the studios holding on to my arm. To say I was terrified was an understatement, like Pearl Harbour was the Japanese being unkind!

I was introduced to the producer of the programme, who was a woman. I always thought they were men who went around in beards and sandals shouting 'cut', or was that directors? Shows what I know. Well Des had a beard and sandals, even in the rain. I was wondering what Simon would look like with a beard. Hmmm maybe I like beards?

Polly, the producer took me into an office and we had a quick chat, she asked me if I was worried about anything?

Nah, just the rest of my life.

"Don't worry, we're only going to look at the car rescue, although the other bits may be mentioned. But we won't have pictures of dormice jumping down your cleavage."

"Okay," I said taking a deep breath.

"We'll pop you into makeup, and then Helen will do the interview, it's not a live one, and we'll be mixing it with the footage of the burned out car and an interview we did with the father."

I nodded, "Do you know who pulled me out of the car?"

"No, not as far as I know."

"Okay, can I thank him anyway?"

"Course you can."

"Thank you."

"That's okay, now because we're paying you an expenses fee, Des told me you lost a day's work to get here, I'll need you to sign here and here," she pointed at a form. "Do you want a copy of the interview?"

"Yes please," I don't know why, vanity I expect.

"I was in makeup for two minutes, she just wanted to make sure my skin wasn't too reflective of the studio lights. I brushed my own hair, and was led through to the studio where Helen would do the interrogation.

They wired me up, with a small microphone attached to a power pack transmitter around my waist at the back. I was still in jeans and jumper.

"Can you say something, love?" called some bloke.

I looked around but anyone else seemed to be busy, so I pointed at myself and mouthed 'me?'

"Yes you love, need to do a sound check."

"Oh right." Of course my mind went blank until a nonsense rhyme came to mind, and then sort of fell out of my mouth assisted by my lips.

"The boy stood on the burning deck
His legs all covered in blisters,
He didn't have his trousers on,
So he had to borrow his sisters."

"That's great love, thank you."

I sat there feeling like a spare mmm mmm at a wedding. Eventually Polly arrived with Helen. Ah, I'd seen her doing the main news, gosh a real live celebrity.

We were introduced, and we talked for several minutes then she asked me about the accident, so I told her. She asked if I was frightened and I told her only when I thought the fumes had got me and the baby. Then the real hero, the man who pulled me out, saved us both and I'd like to thank him. She asked if I knew the baby was going to be okay? I didn't but I did now, and felt a tear run down my face, I thanked her for telling me.

"That's a wrap," called a voice and I started.

"Thanks that's it," said Helen and shook my hand again.

"What, you filmed that?"

"Yes, why?"

"I wasn't ready, I mumbled and rambled and cried."

"You were fine, and natural. We'll tidy it up, splice it with the father's interview and it will go out for six on the main news bulletin and probably again at ten."

"Cathy, can the local news people have a word?" called Polly running into the studio.

Another reporter person, this time a man called Toby, came and talked to me. I was much more self conscious this time aware that they would be filming as soon as he sat down. However, once we got talking I forgot about the camera and the mic I was wearing. He asked me about the bag snatch, and I told him like I remembered it, then he asked about Simon and my engagement and we talked for a couple more minutes. Then he thanked me, and Polly led me back out through the maze of studios and technical rooms to a bathroom where I could take off the make up and wash my face.

"Des is waiting for you through there, we'll send you a cheque if that's okay?"

"Yes, fine."

I looked and there was my own bearded collie wagging his tail, okay, well he is an outside sorta guy, a bit like me, except for the beard.

"That was great Cathy, now we can put, 'as seen on TV' next to your name."

I nearly said, that I had been on telly before, then realised it was as someone else. So I stumbled into, "Erm, how do you know it was okay?"

"I watched it with the producer."

"You did?" I blushed.

"You were great, so natural. Every man I know will be wanting you to marry him and have his children. Well maybe not the marriage bit, but certainly the procreative bit."

"You are joking?" I gasped.

"I'm not, you are one of the most natural, sexy women I know. You don't just talk to your audience you seduce them, men and women, they love it."

"What!" I exclaimed, blushing so red and so hot, I'm sure I was giving off gigawatts of energy.

"Some women have it, most don't, you are something else, girl."

"I have to go," I said, actually registering that the clock I'd been looking at for the past few minutes was telling the time. It was quarter past three. "To the hospital....my dad....feed him....bye."

"Don't I get a....obviously not," he said to my fleeing body.

I was still breathing deeply when I got to the ward, "Hi Cathy, loved the trick with the dormouse," offered the ward sister laughing.

Damn, I knew that was going to haunt me. "Hi, Daddy," I purred trying to take my mind off things.

" 'Affy," he exclaimed and started smiling. Maybe absence does make the heart grow fonder?

"I have some soup and fresh bread, I didn't make the bread okay?"

"kay," he grunted, but smiling.

I warmed the remains of the soup and took the bowl into him, he ate it without a murmur and the bread disappeared too. Finally he had a piece of the sponge I made with a cuppa.

I sat and talked to him holding his hand, and he smiled and made the odd remark or question. Before I knew it, the news came on the television, I wasn't listening until the nurse called, "Cathy, you're on the telly." Excusing myself, I ran to watch.

'I dunno what happened,' said the driver of the car,'I must 'ave nodded off and next thing we're like upside down and everyone is screaming. People were stood around and I couldn't get the doors open. Then someone shouted fire, and I panicked.

That must have terrifying? asked the interviewer.

It was, I really thought we were all gonna die, there was smoke and stuff in the car and the smell was 'orrible. Then this woman runs up with a fire extinguisher and tells me to cut the engine. I didn't even know it was still on. She starts putting out the fire and some men arrived and broke the windows and she and they helped to pull us out.

We were all so dazed and so glad to be safe, we forgot about my baby daughter Meredith, she started to scream, and the woman goes back to car and starts to climb in to rescue her.

I couldn't like believe it, the car is on fire and she wriggles into it to save my baby. My wife was screaming and I was just paralysed with fear. Then it all went quiet and some bloke grabs her feet and starts pulling her out, and she has the baby.

And how is baby Meredith? asked the interviewer.

She is doing just great, thanks to our rescuer.'

Back to the reporter, 'We managed to track down the mystery woman rescuer, Cathy Watts, who was able to talk with Helen in the studio.'

The picture cut to me, looking like a nervous squirrel, 'You arrived on the scene with your fire extinguisher, was your's the only car with one?"

"I don't know nor stopped to ask. It was more a morale booster for the rescuers and a life line for the passengers, they were looking very anxious. I called for him to switch of the engine, and shouted at the people watching not to just stand there. Then I began hitting the windows with the empty extinguisher and two men appeared with wheel braces or some other tools and we managed to get them out."

While we were talking they did a split screen with a fire brigade video of the actual car. Jesus, I didn't go into that did I? I felt the colour drain from my face.

"You heard the baby and climbed into the car to rescue her?"

"I wasn't thinking other than the baby would die if I didn't do something. I suppose I didn't think too hard and just went for it."

"You went into that?" asked the interviewer as they showed the car consumed with flames.

"The biggest problem was the smoke, I couldn't see and the baby who was screaming suddenly went quiet, I managed to undo her harness and then I started to black out with the smoke, and some chap grabbed my legs and pulled me out, thankfully I had the baby in my arms."

That man is the real life saver, he saved both of us. I'd like to thank him if I could."

The camera panned back to Helen, "This is the same woman who last week captured a bag snatcher in Portsmouth and got engaged to Lord Cameron, I wonder if he knows he's marrying a superhero?"

"Oh shit!" I flopped into the chair by the side of Dad's and felt awful, the tabloids were bound to be around now.

" Ossamarra?" said my dad as if he'd just spotted a famous terrorist.

I processed what he'd said. "I just did something very dumb."

"oh?"

"I helped get a girl out of a car on the motorway that turned upside down, no big deal. The BBC wanted an interview and for some stupid reason, I gave one. Now the whole bloody world will be knocking on the door."

"No big deal!" exclaimed the nurse, "She forgot to mention the car was on fire at the time."

"No No No," said my father.

"Yes, she is a regular girl scout. You must be very proud of her?"

"Essss," he said beaming, and dribbling just a little.

"Cathy, you're on again."

"Oh no!" Some morbid curiosity drew me to the screen again.

They showed the pictures of the dormouse diving into my bra, "How do you get from this to this?" the pictures were replaced by the firebrigade video. "The answer, via one very special lady, soon to be literally a Lady, as in Lady Cameron, I mean our very own down to earth and sexy superhero, Cathy Watts, dormouse expert extraordinaire."

They cut to the interview and with tears welling up, I walked out of the ward and stood out in the cold. Life was never going to be quite the same again, but what options did I have?

Could I have let the bag snatcher go? Yes I could, but I knew that I wouldn't not with Stella's bag. As for the car fire, how could I have walked away and left a child to die? Again, I could have done but I knew inside I wouldn't, I'd rather die attempting to save her, why? Because, that's why, that's who and what I am. Now I'm likely to have to pay for it. Who said life was fair?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Leave a comment if you please. Thanks.

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tut, tut!

I think you mean 14 dozen less 2

Go to the bottom of the class!

Hugs

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

This really is a silly story ...

... totally ridiculous and totally unbelievable but ... it's also extremely enjoyable and worse, as addictive as The Archers. Cathy seems to be getting into more scrapes than a worn out razor blade. She obviously has excellent taste too - liking beards and sandals (I even have a pair with shoe plates)

btw hope the back's getting better

Geoff

Life ain't fair

But then most of us aren't superheros.

She certainly knows how to go from the frying pan straight into the fire doesn't she?

Well done Angharad!

NB

Not exacty into the fire

But a bit too close to it for comfort.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

About time

It's about time Cathy realized her life isn't going to be the same. It's not been the same for quite a while! Would have been "interesting" to have seen/heard her dad's reaction to the doormouse incident. And Spike getting Fresh (or it not so fresh).

Thanks for more "fun".

Prances

Tum-ti-tum-ti-tumpty tum...

If I were the Head of the BBC I'd retire the Archers and chain Angharad to a desk to churn out an EAFOAB episode every day with an omnibus edition on Sunday. Spike is far more believable than the agricultural story-lines in Ambridge anyway - do you remember the farmer who complained some years ago because the sound effects were limited to one moo and one bleat?

Enormous thanks to Angharad for a splendidly silly but oddly believable and well-written saga with characters who are (mostly) likeable.
Sinisterpenguin

Sinisterpenguin

166

When is the appointment with the Queen?

Another possibility. How about awarding the Victoria Cross?

What happened to "Just the girl next door?"

marie c.

marie c.

The VC is only awarded to ...

... the military, 'For Valour' as it says on the medal IIRC. As a civilian, Cathy would get the George Cross like the island of Malta received after the war.

Geoff

Hey that's not fair

I was going to do another vote and run but the vote thingy wasn't there and to make it worse you put "leave a comment if you please" instead of one of your funny comments.I'm screwed I actually have to make a nice comment and well I'm just not prepared but oh well here goes.The last 2 chapters have been great I am a little worried about Cathys little on air rhyme.But all in all even if all the hero stuff brings the medias scrutiny down on her I think it will help her that she's been a hero and is intelligent.I'm just wondering tho how many of the guys who have been drooling and having wet dreams over her on air performances are going to puke when they find out.Lol Amy

Not on the air at the time…

Amy, you wrote:

I am a little worried about Cathys little on air rhyme.

Actually if you read it again you will realise that she used it as a sound check which is always conducted before going on air to set the correct level for the recording. This is standard broadcast and recording procedure.

Hugs
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

re: Not on the air at the time

It would be just Cathy's luck that the mic was live; and don't think that can never happen (just ask anyone who has appeared on one of Kermit Schaefer's "Bloopers" albums)! Or how about former President Ronald Reagan who, during an air check before a Saturday morning weekly radio address, announced, announced "I have just signed legislation outlawing Russia; the bombs start falling in five minutes"! Unfortunately, in the world of broadcasting, having mics kept live when they should not be is a hazard which sometimes can and do happen!

Jenny

Because that's who and what I am

"...that's who and what I am. Now I'm likely to have to pay for it. Who said life was fair?"

Nope, life isn't fair but it can be what you make of it, fair or not. Seems like our Cathy is doing a pretty good job of making a great life for herself and those around her. Bravo Cathy!

I echo the concern of the posters yesterday who are waiting in fear of the big fall that will stomp Cathy's life into the ground. I think this girl has the guts to pull herself back up and give her tormentors the middle finger. I just hope Stella and Simon have the loyalty and love to stick with her.

I know there are lots of readers here who will.

Thanks Angharad

Sounds like just an ordinary

Sounds like just an ordinary day for a Dormouse Expert. Cathy is a very special person in more ways than her one issue. She is a person who has "the right stuff" and is willing to help others at all times. Way to go Cathy! I think each issue give her more "friends", "champions", and help for her issue than she right now realizes and once things really get hopping, she will be thankful. Janice Lynn

...so he had to borrow his sisters...

Yeah, I know it's only a rhyme, and this is being posted nearly 18 months after the rest of the comments, but I couldn't help but think it's exactly the kind of scrape a certain Drew Bond would get into...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I wonder

How many slots does that wheel of fortune or dart board have left and unused? Quite a few I suspect. We'll eventually get to seen them all.

work, work, work

Chain her to a desk to write a chapter a day ? Don't you do that now Angharad ?
Spot on ! Been Interviewed by local TV myself, this is exactly how it goes. Then you think, "Now why did I say that?"
Cathy has more stones than a gravel pit. Only nutty people run into a burning building when all others flee, those nutty people are firefighters.

Cefin