Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 149

Printer-friendly version

Cathy has a tough time with her favourite shrink, upsetting the good doctor in the process. Still no plot to speak of, but what's new?

Easy As Turning Out This Drivel.
by Angharad & Virginia Creeper.(A bit of a social climber).
part: 150-1

I must have gone to bed the previous night because I woke up in one, my own. I was so tired, the night before, I hadn't remembered climbing the stairs and getting undressed. My mouth felt as if I hadn't cleaned my teeth and my tongue seemed to have more fur than the average dormouse.

I showered and started to get the breakfast, aware I had to see Dr Thomas, although I really could have used the time for the project. I was going to have to speak to Bristol uni again, and try to set up a meeting when I was there theoretically, tomorrow or friday. I had so much to do.

I took Simon his breakfast, Stella was away last night, I suppose she's earned the odd night off. Simon was still asleep. "Wakey, wakey rise and shine," I trilled, "Good morning campers!" I said in a very poor Welsh accent which was supposed to be a rendition of Ruth Madoc's, from a sitcom based in a holiday camp.

I gave him a tray of toast, cereal and coffee. He smiled and we kissed, "I have to go, lover," I purred.

"I'll bet that bloody professor of your's doesn't start this early," he said looking at his watch.

"I'm not, I've got to see Dr Thomas."

"What for?"

"I told her I was engaged to you, she told me to get my head examined. I am."

"Bah, shrink wrapped, bloody shrinks. What do they know about madness? Now if they came and lived with Stella for a few days....", he grinned at me.

"You are so ungrateful to that long suffering sister of yours," I chided him.

"Me ungrateful! Ha! You should see her side of the bargain."

"Well I think she's done a super job of nursing you," I said.

"She ought to, she's supposed to be a professional. I'll bet your guinea pigs, get better care."

"Dormice," I corrected him.

"Whatever."

"I have to go," I kissed him and pinched a piece of toast, "Ugh it's got marmalade on." His reply was to laugh.

I was wearing my suit again, this time with my boots and a red blouse. I got to the good doctor's office a few minutes before my appointment and knocked on the door.

"Come," was called from within, so I opened the door, "Did you smell the coffee?"

"No doc, but I can now."

"Okay, I did promise you a cup." She poured me one and I accepted it and sat down in a comfortable chair alongside the small cofee table.

We sat and sipped the coffee for a minute or two. Then she leant forward and grabbed my left hand, "Is that what I think it is?"

I nodded, having taken a sip of coffee. "Yes," I said after swallowing.

"It's a lovely ring."

"Yes, he had it designed and made for me."

"What without your prior knowledge?"

"Yes."

"He took a risk then?"

"A calculated one." I went to explain about the design and my mother's jewellery. I also told the story of them conspiring and me thinking they were talking about drugs.

"So you wanted to withdraw as soon as you thought they were doing drugs?"

"Yes, I won't have anything to do with them."

"I wish that some of the young people I see with drug induced psychosis or schizophrenia, had done the same."

"Do you see much of that?"

"Too much I'm afraid, far too much. Anyway enough of that, what sort of week have you had?"

I told her about the incident in the department and subsequent funeral.

"Gosh you do lead a busy life, any after affects, nightmares, anxieties?"

I held up the cup, "Only when strange women offer me coffee," I smirked.

"Somebody nearly kills you and you make a joke out of it, you do realise the threat you were under?"

"I was out of it on rohypnol or whatever they call it. So I wasn't scared. I've been too busy since, covering for the Prof."

"What? You are doing his job?"

"Only the bit relating to the survey project."

"The last time I spoke to Tom, he seemed to think that was about two thirds of his current workload. He'd already offloaded much of his day to day admin to his admin assistant. I hope they're paying you."

"They said they would."

"Tom will see you right, he's a good man."

"I owe him my life."

"Oh, yes I see your point, however, I'm sure he doesn't see it that way."

"No he doesn't, in the same way you don't Dr Thomas."

"So how are the mad siblings?"

"Mad."

"I spoke with Stella a few days ago."

"Oh!" I gasped and felt myself getting hot. "What about?"

"Her surgeon buddy."

"Oh!" another gasp, her face looked very serious and I knew it wasn't good news.

"I spoke with him too."

"Please just give it to me straight," the suspense was killing me.

"Anyone would think I was tormenting you Cathy? I am merely explaining why I had to make the decision I did."

"Look Dr Thomas, we discussed this before and it crossed the guidelines and we agreed it could get you into trouble. So what decision was there to make?"

"I needed to discover if the Surgeon a Mr O'Rourke, was prepared to accept referrals and how we'd fund it. I have more patients seeking reassignment than you, you know."

"I'm sorry, I assumed...." I blushed and cringed at the same time, at this rate she would refer me in time for the Olympic Games in 2012.

"We had a very interesting discusion and in fact we ended up meeting for dinner. He's a lovely man, very cultured and very good looking too."

I wondered where this was leading, she didn't normally discuss that sort of thing with me, maybe she's in love and has to tell everyone, especially as I sort of brought them together. It still seemed very unlikely.

"It seems he had heard of you through Stella, and indeed did suggest to her that he could possibly help you. I pointed out to him that you had only been doing your life test for less than six months and he said he didn't know."

I knew it, come back in two years time and so on. My heart dropped even though I knew it was never on in the first place.

"I'm glad he's a nice man anyway, I hope if he's available that you see him again." I said, jumping over her boundaries, but I didn't care.

"I have to remind you Cathy that we are here to discuss your life not mine. Mine is quite acceptable at the moment."

"He is available, isn't he?"

"Would you like me to terminate this appointment? Yes I think I shall, you'll have to see Dr Winthropp next time."

"Dr Thomas, please, I am so sorry I was out of order. Please can I continue seeing you, I don't want to see another doctor, please."

"No, you will see Dr Winthropp on next monday."

"My birthday," I sobbed, I was really upset that she had dumped me, even if I had deserved it.

"Yes, I know."

"Some present that is," I sniffed.

"On the contrary, we need his agreement to refer you for surgery."

"What?" my head was spinning, did she say referal for surgery? I felt myself getting very giddy and....

"Cathy, Cathy, come on, take deep breaths, that's good now open your eyes. Good, how do you feel?"

"Phew! Strange." My head was still reeling. "I'm sorry, I think I must have gone off a bit then, I dreamt you were referring me for surgery, even though it's not possible."

"Why is it not possible?"

"Well because a moment ago, you were telling me you wouldn't see me again."

"When did I say that?"

"You told me, you were making me see Dr Win somebody instead. I asked for it because I got familiar with you, because I knew you were seeing the surgeon chap."

"How did you know that?"

"I just did, your eyes sparkled when you talked about him, I dunno, I guess I just knew it. Anyone could."

"No Cathy, not anyone, any woman might, but the average bloke wouldn't know until he saw it in writing."

"What does that mean?"

"You are catching up on your intuitive skills, some of the things which perhaps make women different to men, although there is dispute about whether these differences are societal role plays rather than sex differences."

"Is that good?"

"I think so."

"So can I see you again?"

"Of course you can."

"So why have I got to see Dr Windbag or whatever he's called?"

"Winthropp, Dr David Winthropp, because I need his agreement to refer you for surgery."

"What in a year's time?"

"You can wait that long if you prefer, but I was counting on using a space Mr O'Rourke has on New Year's Day."

My head went funny again, "I'm dreaming this, aren't I? You didn't say that did you?"

"Say what?"

"New Year's Day, you can't have said it, ooh...."

"Cathy, please wake up, Cathy, come on wake up."

My head was buzzing. Shit I had to get to the university, so much work to do. "I have to go Dr Thomas, I have lots of work to do." I stood up on wobbly legs. "Was I asleep for long? I'm so sorry, it's very rude of me."

"Cathy sit down, NOW!" her voice got louder at the end of that instruction. I nearly crapped myself, she had never shouted at me before. "Now I want you to repeat after me, got that?"

I nodded my understanding.

"I am going to see Dr Winthropp on monday, for my second referal for gender reassignment surgery."

I repeated what she said and felt tears welling up inside me.

"Wait no crying, now repeat after me, assuming he agrees, I will see Mr O'Rourke for surgery on Ist of January."

I repeated the sentence and burst into tears, shaking my head in disbelief.

"You'll have to see him before that obviously for an exam, but he thinks he can do something for you."

"I don't know what to say, thank you, seems inadequate." I was still sobbing and unable to look her in the face.

"Convince David Winthropp that my haste with you is reasonable and not my impatience to see you complete."

"I will. Thank you doctor."

She helped me up, gave me a handful of tissues and a hug, "Better sort your make up out in the loo, oh and Happy Birthday."

"Thank you," was all I could say, my head was still spinning.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Usual request for comments on how bad this has got, you watch she'll be picked to Ride in the Olympics next! What a load of tosh.

up
181 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

re: Easy 148

I didn't know they did doormice racing at the olympics?

Another fine chapter. I just hope that Cathy can cope with the stress she will be under.

Hugs

Karen

new olympic sport

Angharad's picture

Yeah, it's new, the mice have to run in and out of a door, then up a clock. One with the best time wins.

Angharad 8)

Angharad

You know...

your story here is something else. Each chapter, a part of a journey, is good enough to stand on it's own. You are an amazing writer of quality stories.

Hugs and Happy Holidays to you and yours,

LeiaMarie

You don't do things in a small way do you...

Wow. As much as I expected Dr. Thomas to be "checking" Cathy "last week", the way you wound both her and me up was great! I was affraid Dr. Thomas was shipping Cathy off to another doctor as well... Call me gullable again I guess.

Talk about a stressful life - that lady has it in spades. Just reading the story helps me deal with my more "normal" level of stress. I imagine having half as much as she does and I feel ALL BETTER (well not quite ALL, but better anyway.)...

I'm looking forward to seeing Cathy ride her doormouse in the Olympics soon!

Thanks!

Phran

Virginia Creeper?

Is she the one they called Virgin for short but not for long?

OK, I'll get me coat :)

I suppose the Mouse Olympic event disqualifies any mouse not down before the clock strikes 'One'?

Another excellent episode. Thanks

G

Mouse Olympics

I don't know about that, but I hear they're having a heck of a problem with them using HGH. It's easy to tell, just look for the ones as big as cocker spaniels :)

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Dormice Olympics

No, the real problem is finding riders small enough for the dormice dressage event.

R

Sinisterpenguin

The clock struck 'One'?

Didn't two dormeeces (or snacks if Bonzi is in charge!) run up the clock?
Wait, it wasn't dormice, it was only two normal mice! And..
"The clock struck one, and severely injured the other so bad it was hospitalized!"
Sorry Bonzi, but you were too late for snacks this time. The clock won!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Are these getting shorter?

Or am I reading them more quickly?

Damn!

It's like you just get into the swing and before you know it, you're down to that awful plea-bargaining bit at the end, where Angharad is begging us to give her good reviews - as if, I mean, she hit the nail on the head with the comment about it being a load of tosh. How can she expect us to feel any differently?

It's bloody good you fool. Just accept it and get on with the next episode - quick as you like please!

NB

I know how Cathy felt

Pamreed's picture

When I was called with the date for my SRS I also cried!! I was so happy it was finally going to happen!! In my case it was 7 months before. I set up a count down calendar on my computer and watched it go down until I left for my surgery!! That was over 3 years ago and I am so satisfied with my life now. I had been living full time for 9 years before then but that was due to $$$ not desire!! I am not commenting on many parts as I am trying to catch up and read as many a day as I can!!

Fare thee well,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Stella again

When Cathy got that little push from Stella it seems her life transitioned all right, into high gear. Think it will ever slow down?

Funny you mention those

Funny you mention those Olympics. They are currently running at the time I am reading this. A testament to your wonderful and prolific writing. Smiles Jenn.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Cathys surgery

I know how Cathy feels, but my surgery was snatched away from me the day before I was to have it by thieves stealing my cash in Phuket. I hope nothing stops her surgery because I know how THAT feels and it was traumatic. However she has survived trauma several times before , don't know how; only the author knows that and the story requires survival I guess.

Ellenz

Your surgery

Angharad's picture

I hope that has now been resolved, I can't say I know the feeling but it has a degree of familiarity, mine was a cancelled a couple of weeks before it was due at Charing Cross because they ran out of money - I had to wait a further four years. That was back in 1991, so many moons ago.

Best wishes,

Angharad

Angharad

Surgery

I am glad your surgery has been 'resolved' . Mine, due to lack of funds, never will be, but I have come to terms with it. NZ does not fund surgery apart from 3 every 5 years and then it is done by someone whose technique is not the best. The NHS is far more helpful for transgendered people than the NZ health service. In NZ anything for ones health is regarded as a priviliege rather than a right and gender problems are way down the scale.
Best wishes, and I love your wit ,
Ellenz

Ellenz

really great

Angharad, This story just gets better and better. With My new health problems I have really needed the silly laugh inducing chapters You write for all of us. Please keep up the story and don't even think of finishing until You reach 4 gross chapters.

Re: really great

Gabrielle,

As I write this, the story is 158 chapters shy of the 20 gross (2880) mark or just 14 shy of 19 gross! Somehow, I think she surpassed your hoped-for level a LOOOOONG time ago! ;-)

Jenny

not enough sex

Only 55 thumbs up?, more sex Then there will be 100 comments, If the rest of us read them I 'll have this posted during my funeral
Yea ! wait a sec, surgery on Jan 1st ? ohoh mthat worse than me having surgery on Friday the 13th, at least my black cat will be sober.
12hrs later and a lot of ice? Stella can plan a coming out I mean off party on MLK day ( US only)
Great drivel

Cefin

Emotional Session

Poor Cathy, with her emotions going every which way during her session with Dr. Thomas, I hope she finds some way to relax. A nice long bike ride somewhere would be perfect, now if she could only find the time for it!

I'm totally hooked on this story, I've read from the beginning to here in about 1.5 days, maybe I'm setting a reading record? LOL