Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 150

Printer-friendly version

Some days there is thick and double thick, then there is Simon - maybe he's clotted or just a clot?

Easy Street
by Angharad & Claude Balls (he annoyed Bonzi).
part:149+1

I got back to the professor's office in something of a dither. I had tried to phone Simon and Stella, but they didn't appear to be answering. I had this wonderful news but couldn't share with just anyone, it would have to wait. Pippa made me a cuppa as soon as I arrived and showed me some calls that she had taken. I spent the next half an hour returning them.

Then it was a call to Bristol and, I spent an hour on a conference call to them, talking to three of their senior lecturers. It seemed astonishing to me that I was the least qualified and experienced, yet they were happy for me to continue leading, both my own section and the project until the professor came back.

When I saw mounting paperwork, I realised why they'd not volunteered. I called the nutty professor.

"I hope you're going to be back by New Year's Day?"

"That depends upon how my shoulder feels, why?"

"I'm not going to be available for several weeks afterwards."

"Why, where are you going?"

"Hospital."

"Why what's wrong?" he sounded quite worried.

"I have a long standing medical condition which I'm hoping they can finally sort out."

"Oh dear, sorry to hear that. I'll have to try and see what I can do about getting back by then."

"I thought I'd better warn you, I got notice of it this morning."

"Might I ask what it is?"

"A gynae problem," I said wanting to chortle.

"A what?" he said sounding surprised.

"Vagina inverticus, I'm getting it sorted."

He laughed for several moments, "I'm delighted for you."

"Thanks Professor, mind you I have to convince a second shrink, on my birthday of all days."

"Oh, I shouldn't think there'll be any difficulty with that. So when is your appointment with the shrink?"

"On monday."

"I'll keep my fingers crossed for you girl, but I can't believe you'll have any problems. Now did you speak to Bristol, and they're happy with the new arrangements?"

"They didn't seem to be queueing up to take over."

"I didn't think they would, did you write to Sir Alan?"

"I did, told him I wanted a pay rise and a chair of my own."

"Why, what's wrong with the three in my room?" He refused to rise to my baiting.

"Nothing, except Spike gnawed through the leather one, and peed on one of the others, and I got tomato soup all over the other."

"If that bloody tree rat of yours damaged my chair there will be a patch about the same size as her repairing it, a furry patch!" He pretended to sound cross but I knew he wasn't.

"It wasn't her fault, she followed one of the other three that escaped in here, she was only chewing the same as them."

"I think while you're away practising how to sit comfortably, I'm going to get some new furry slippers."

"You wouldn't dare!" I said horrified.

"Those bloody vermin are eating us out of house and home."

"What about the award we got for the breeding programme?"

"Will the certificate cover the hole in my chair?"

"Nearly."

"Don't forget you have a second appointment on monday."

"Not according to my diary."

"Well write this in now."

"Okay, who and where, and what is it about?"

"Lunch with me at Grainger's at twelve thirty, block out two hours."

"Erm, I may be too busy with all this paperwork, I have three lots from the government."

"That wasn't an invitation, it was an instruction, bring your shorthand book we'll do some dictation."

"I can't do shorthand, I'm a scientist, remember?"

"Oh damn, I thought you could. Bring a voice recorder will you, give the temp something to do."

"She has plenty already, and she's doing really well."

"What's her name?"

"Pippa."

"Sounds like one of your bloody dormice."

"I'll tell her, I'm sure she could work more slowly, especially when you come back."

"Don't you dare. So she's doing all right is she?"

"Yeah, we'll never replace Mary, but she's doing pretty well."

"Okay, depending upon how she does for the month, we could look to extend the contract. Sadly, if we took her on ourselves we have to pay the agency a large fee."

"Yeah I know."

Lunch was ham roll Pippa got for me, when she popped home to her kids, then the afternoon, we spent sorting out a ream of stuff for her to do for the next two days, while I was away in Bristol.

I checked up on my field project and my understudies were doing okay, they had one lot of data for me, which I showed them how to load on my programme. I simply had no spare time any more.

I got home and discovered that Simon had had his plaster off and was now wearing a bandage on his arm. We had a little kiss, then I set about doing a chicken casserole for tomorrow, in the slow cooker. Once it was on I shoved some pork chops under the grill and did some potatoes and veg. It was nothing special but Stella and he enjoyed it.

"I have a bit of news for you," I announced.

"You have a dessert?" said Simon.

"You'll get your just ones, one of these days!" Snapped Stella.

"I have to see a second shrink on monday."

"What happened to the first one, did she shrink?" Simon was now on a roll, I could tell.

"No, in fact she is alive and well. I have to see a second one...."

"To get your referral. Oh Cathy, that is wonderful news." Stella leapt up and hugged me. "Are you going to let Michael do it?"

"That's the plan, can you organise an appointment, to you know....?"

"Sure, as good as done, you'll like him he is gorgeous, looks a bit like George Clooney."

"Wow, no wonder Dr Thomas had a sparkle in her eye." Then it occurred to me, Stella had said he was saving for his daughter's wedding, so was he, married, and how did I ask?

"Oh so that's who he's been seeing? John mentioned he was dating someone. It'll be good for him to get over losing his wife."

"What happened to her?" I asked.

"She divorced him, he came home from work one day and found a 'Dear John' letter. She ran off with a millionaire businessman."

"What is this second referral business?" said Simon looking puzzled.

"I need to see two shrinks before I can be referred for surgery."

"What, the erm, erm operation?" he asked blushing furiously.

"Yep, but these days they call it gender reassignment, or adjustment. Effectively, it's a vaginoplasty and clitoroplasty with penectomy and bilateral orchidectomy." She looked him in the eye and said, "They chop off the unwanted bits, snip snip." She made scissor shapes with her fingers to emphasise the point.

"Oh God, that's awful!" groaned Simon, covering his groin in a very Freudian response.

"Not if you don't feel they're part of you. To me it's like the removal of a small tumour, something I don't need and would prefer to have transmogrified into something I do want, and I thought you wanted me to have as well."

"Of course I do, I want you to be happy sweetheart, I just hadn't thought about it before, it sounds painful to me."

"We do use an anaesthetic," quipped Stella.

Simon grimaced, "Won't it hurt afterwards?"

"I'm told that dilating isn't much fun to begin with."

"What's that?" asked Simon.

"Shoving a plastic dilator into the cavity to maintain it and stretch it."

"Oh hell, that sounds awful, you don't have to do that do you?"

"Yes, otherwise, it will close up and your honeymoon will be boring."

"What, you're doing this for me?"

"I'm doing it for me," I smiled to Simon, "So I can be as complete as possible. If I didn't know you, I would still want it done, but because I do know you and love you, I want it even more. I want to be your wife Simon, in every sense."

I placed my hand under his chin and pulled his lips to mine. After a sensual kiss, he asked, "When did you say you're getting it done, monday was it?"

"No silly, although it would have been a nice birthday present," I said to no one in particular.

"It's not your birthday on monday is it?" said Stella picking up on my
unintentional disclosure.

I blushed and nodded.

"It's December first on, let's see.... saturday, yeah, saturday. So it's...."

"I know which day it is, pass me your plate Simon." He did and I collected up Stella's. "Look it's no big deal, okay, I've got to go out with the nutty professor for lunch. I haven't got time for it. I really haven't."

"But we have to celebrate," said Simon.

"We'll see, if Dr Winthropp refuses my referral, then I may not feel like celebrating at all." I sloped off to the kitchen and checked on my casserole.

Simon came out and put his arms around me from behind. "How can he fail to see you're a woman, even I can, and I'm not the most perceptive of blokes." He kissed me on the neck.

"I hope you're right lover," I said, as I felt tears from in my eyes. "All my life I've felt I was I female, now I get the chance to achieve it, and I feel frightened. What if he says, 'no', I'll just die."

Simon hugged me, kissing the back of my neck again, "If he says no, we'll find someone who says yes. Surely, your normal shrink will have primed him just by sending you to him?"

"I hadn't thought of that." I felt a little reassured from his words and his hug.

"I'd have thought the big problem was believing you weren't a natural female. I know it surprised the hell out of me."

I turned in his arms, "I hated doing that to you, but you wouldn't go away, I did try to stop you."

"I know, and that just made me love you even more. Why did you stop trying to dump me?"

"Because I fell in love with you silly, why did you think?"

"I just like hearing you tell me," he said gently.

"Yeah it saved him saying it to himself, coo that casserole smells nice, is that for tomorrow." Stella had joined us in the kitchen, "Right show me how to do this bread machine."

"Oh shit, you're off to Bristol tomorrow?" Simon posed a rhetorical question. "Let's leave this hag to do the dishes and make mad, passionate love all night."

"Sounds like the best offer I've had all day." I smiled and kissed him.

"That's right, leave the gooseberry to clean up as usual," grumbled Stella.

"I'll bet you weren't washing up all night last night were you?" asked Simon rather pointedly.

"Off you go then," she blushed.

 £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £

Don't forget to comment on the size of it! The length I mean, do you have a preferred one? Oops! I mean the word count on this episode, what did you think I was talking about?

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's about ...

... my size. I prefer it that way.

Cathy's going to need a new saddle I guess :)_

Geoff

Geoff

I guess I just don't understand!

Cathy's bike probably already has a womyn's saddle. Of course she'll have to heal quite a while before riding again.

If it's about Simon "riding" Cathy, If I were involved I'd prefer that both parties to the love making be nude.

For a while, Cathy will probably want to sit on an "inflatible donut" (I guess that's an American term). It's like a mini car innertube; keeps pressure off the sore area.

Other than that, I'm clueless.

But, I guess everyone already knows that about me. :-)

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Saddles ...

... tend to be gender specific. Women's 'sit bones' are farther apart and therefore the back of the saddle needs to wider. Women's shorts need a wider chamois (or chamois substitute) for the same reason. Of course, no underwear interposes itself twixt bum and shorts lest it chafe.

I usually ride on a well broken in leather Brookes B17 narrow whilst my SO is well suited with her B17 standard. Kinky eh?

Geoff

Part A Ton and a Half

Another milestone, Angharad, bach. Brill stuff girlo (I can't call you boyo, can I?)

Now will Dr Thomas push Dr Winthrop under the bed or will it be the other way around?

No, that's the wrong doctor, it's the surgeon Dr T likes, innit?

It's me that's going a little potty, as you said earlier:-)

Hugs,
Gabi

(just going in search of her own little potty before retiring for the night)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Part 150

marie c.

I can't tell if this is the end. I've read all 150 parts. It is admittedly long.

I cut my TV fiction teeth on the $10 cheap novels they sell here in the States, some of which were actually good. Most of them in recent years are unreadable and are sold on a rather predatory basis.

Angharad (you have to admit it's an impossible name - why not Debbie, Gidget, Chrissie or some other ghastly cute name. No don't!) you are a damn fine writer with a gift for dialog writing, especially that British repartee that us Yanks will never replicate in the next 25,000 years.

I'll look for your first novel on the New York Times bestseller list in a matter of months.

marie c.

Names

The name is Angharad....it is Welsh, I believe. From what she has said, the closest pronunciation I can spell or explain is Ingrid. She once showed how to pronounce it in a post that I can't find, nor remember.

Pronouncing my name,

Angharad's picture

it sounds as it's spelt, 'Ang' and 'harad' the 'A's are all hard as in hat, the 'G' is also hard as in got. If pronounced with a slightly aspirate element on the second syllable, you will have it perfect.

It means 'loved one' or 'well loved one' and has been around since at least the 7th Century, and is of course Welsh.

Angharad

Angharad

Pronouncing your name

Thanks for the nice explanation on the proper pronunciation of your name -- a very pretty name, too, if I might be so bold.
I am not sure of the exact count on chapters, but it is well over 1600 now, and still going strong!
Keep them coming, 'loved one'

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

well loved one

An apt name for such as yourself, if I do say so myself.

BCTS wouldn't be the same without it's Angharad.

Abigail Drew.

Just short of perfect

The word count was just short of perfect.As always Angharad you and Claude Balls have delivered a superior literary masterpiece.Lol Amy

this just keeps getting

this just keeps getting better and better the comments at the end of each help make it even more entertaning keep up the good work

On the saddle problem

Our Cathy will certainly need some soft saddle to ride on. I rode on the public transportation buss from home to downtiown and passed a trunk-transportation street. The surface had it's traces of the stud-tyres we use here in Sweden. Result:8 rows of small trenches that my bus had to cross. After the first test I used taxi/cab and told the driver to take it VERY careful when he crossed the "ondulating" street.
Angharad, please continue. Your work is comning close to the really long stories in the TS-field. To make it more safe I loaded your story on another disk after about 500 pages (in DIN A4 size) and named it "Part 1" with one of the nice dormouse-pictures we have got (The one with the red berries).
Keep on making us happy with new episodes.
Ginnie

GinnieG

I know... (EAFOAB 150)

I'm lagging behind again.

I can't help it. I've had things to do and the other half is not happy if I'm sitting here reading your most excellent adventure.

Keep up the good work.

NB

Comments, as Requested

Oops! I meant to comment on #150 (or was it #149+1?), sort of a milestone, but I missed it. (yes, I know I could go back but ... Oh, this **is** #150 (aka #149+1)!

As to size, I suppose that bigger is better but it's the total length that's more important. No, that's not it! It's the appropriateness (is there another word?) as in does the story come to a satisfactory end or does it just taper of into nothingness or, even worse, come to a dead stop with vague promises of future instalments which, three years later, prove to be unfulfilled?

I guess what I mean is that it's easier to read when it comes in larger chunks but I **really like** your practice of posting what you've written rather than holding it back just to post bigger but less frequent pieces.

So far, you're doing fine! Much better than I could and I appreciate **so much** your taking the time and effort to satisfy my desires for more.

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

It is my intention to end the story

Angharad's picture

While at the moment, it's still writing itself, it will be finite. The problem is, each time I talk about ending it, I get deluged with pleas or threats - dunno which is worse.

But it will end one day. I do have a life outside writing these things, like work and cycling (prefer the latter).

Angharad

Angharad

End the story?

Bet you never thought back in January 2008 that 18 months and 561* chapters later, the story would still be writing itself... :)

* - Well, probably around 565 by the 29th, the exact 18 month anniversary of that comment...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Still going strong!

LibraryGeek's picture

It's up to 1436 now, still going strong, some 2 years and a bit of a month past mittfh's posting.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Yeah, right.

Reminds me of a joke I heard on the radio.

An linguistics professor was lecturing to his students.

"In many languages, such as Russian, there are some double positives that are negatives. However, in English, there are no such examples."

A voice in the back of the room spoke up.

"Yeah, right."

So if I had downloaded it

in 50 chapter chunks I would have missed the comments, and commenting. The comments are pretty cool, I would hate to have missed them. There, three sentences.

Which is quite short of a

Which is quite short of a dozen. :) Jenn.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

great news

I guess I'm going to run my ignorance up the flag pole Relax it's not about reassignment surgery. I own two woman's frame bicycles, Stumpy legs 27'inseam 5'11" tall, hard on the knuckles. I have to change the woman's seat because a man's pelvis is narrower. and the bones don't sit right. That shouldn't change when Cathy becomes a Sheila. Enlighten me
Did he write " The Tiger's Revenge" ?

Cefin

Well as I said earlier, I

Well as I said earlier, I started re-reading Easy As Falling Off A Bike again after stopping, for some stupid reason, a while, a long while, back. Well I've made it through Part 150 today (2/28), that's about 5% of the total, as of today, 2883 parts. I have a daunting, but pleasurable, task ahead of me. ;-) And, there's still about 12 hours left today.