Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 133

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Horse.
by The Lone Ranger & Kimo-Bonzi
part: who cares?

I stayed out by the porch until Simon missed me, it took longer than I expected and it was only because he got himself tangled up with the flex of the portable television, that he called me then.

"Just what are you doing?" I asked seeing the cable wrapped around his legs.

"Just taking this downstairs to watch the rugby."

"As you needed help to get down them this morning, is this a good idea?"

"Of course, I want to see the rugger and this is the only way. Can you bring the remote?"

"Does this not work on the one downstairs?"

"Dunno."

"Shall we try it?"

"Hey that's good thinking Batman!"

I uncoiled the cable from around his legs and he thanked me. I took the TV off him and put it back on the table in his bedroom, he stood waiting for me to discover if it would work.

I dumped it down in the kitchen and got the other out of the fridge. I switched on the big television in the lounge, and clicked on to Sky. The rugby was just starting.

I helped him down to the sofa and poured him some Guinness. "Thanks love, that was a cracking meal. How much do you charge per hour?"

"You couldn't afford me," I winked back and went off to the kitchen to clear up.

I finished and felt knackered. I would have loved to have curled up with Simon, but not with the TV on. It did nothing for me at all.

I sat down with a book in the kitchen and fell asleep over it a little while later. I awoke with someone shouting.

"Cathy, C-A-T-H-Y." I ran into the lounge my head spinning from rising quickly. "Oh there you are, could you get me another Guinness?"

He was lucky I didn't pour it over his head, he may have difficulties pouring it, but he could at least have come out to ask me to get it for him. I suppressed my irritation and took him in another. He kissed me as a form of thanks. Today, that wasn't enough.

Is this how he normally was? Stella said, "it wasn't" and that he was normally helpful. I knew I'd never cope like this, I watched my mother spoil my father and swore I'd never do it to anyone I was in a relationship with, yet here I was, doing it. I appeared to be a walking gender stereotype and that really annoyed me.

I was turning the bread out when he called again. I ignored him, he rang a little decorative bell that was near his chair, and I wondered if I could claim provocation, if I shoved it up his backside. I certainly do not answer bells at all.

When I ignored his calling and ringing, and also his ringing my mobile, he gave up for a few minutes and he was knocking over ornaments and things. I nearly rushed in, but stayed where I was.

Eventually he came out to the kitchen. "Didn't you hear me calling?"

"Yes."

"Did you not consider I might be asking you to come in to me?"

"I knew you were."

"So why didn't you come?"

"Two reasons, I'm not the maid service and if it was important you'd come out to me."

"Gee thanks," he turned on his heel and limped back towards the lounge.

I wondered if this was the beginning of the end. Were it possible, I would marry him tomorrow, or shall I say, I would have done a few days ago. Today I'm not quite so sure. He can be a total dickhead.

I made a cuppa and took him a mug, he was watching some film or other. "Where did you find the remote?"

"By the back door, why?"

"I thought you were out there scouring the garden for it."

"No I found it quite quickly."

"Come and watch this film, it's good."

"Simon I am so tired, all I want is to drink this tea and go to my bed."

"You can't, you have to help me up the stairs."

"I know, or I'd have gone an hour ago."

"Oh, go on then, Stella can watch me up the stairs and help me undress."

"Why can't you watch the film upstairs?"

"It's not such a big picture," he moaned.

"I don't know, I think I get the bigger picture alright." I mused aloud, "You have difficulty with powerful women, or women in power, probably from your childhood. So you have to make a song and dance about it, except with Stella when you go through this elaborate ritual. How am I doing?"

"Not even warm," he smirked at me.

"I'm sorry but I can't cope any longer," I felt tears fill my eyes and I fled upstairs. Once on my bed and doing my world famous impression of a duck with toothache, I felt guilty about not getting him upstairs and undressed. Then realised he'd got up by himself when I caught him with the other television. So he could actually get up them by himself.

I woke up thinking I'd heard someone fall downstairs. I ran out of the room but there was nothing to be seen and Simon was watching the telly in his bedroom. I peeked between the door and the frame and he was in bed watching some programme which seemed inane to me.

I struggled back down the landing and crept back into my room. I fell asleep quite quickly. The next thing I knew Stella was back and washing him down. As a nurse, I was next to useless.

I fell asleep again and awoke the next morning, Stella brought me in mug of steaming tea- pure bliss. "Sorry I didn't get Baby bear to bed last night."

"He said you were tired, eating all those loaves and fishes."

"Yeah, something like that."

"I had a hunk and bit of cheese last night when I came in, kept me awake much of the time.

"Serves you right, you just ate your breakfast early. I baked that loaf for breakfast.

"Wasn't much left when I had the end crust.

"Goodness, who is stealing our bread?"

"It isn't me," resonded Stella.

"I wasn't accusing you, I told her.

"Glad to hear it," She went on to describe the meal she had last night. It was an arm and a leg job and it was crap! She was very disappointed as they spent quite some time choosing where they were going to sit. "They were supernervous about the inspection."

"What inspection?"

"We heard on the grapevine that one of Egon Ronay's scouts was about last night."

"Some secret!" I sighed.

"Yeah, well you know...."

"Yeah, so did the spy turn up?"

"Dunno, we didn't see him or her if they did."

"Conjecture I expect. How is loverboy this morning?"

"All right I think, he says he feels guilty for neglecting you."

"He has a last chance to impress or I'm off big time."

"Wow, have you told him yet?"

"Not yet, but I shall don't you worry."

"I can believe you." She smiled and went downstairs.

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a prat!

I think if I treated my partner of 40 years like that, even now, she'd tell me to take a running jump! Not that she doesn't look after me (and me her, I suppose - though she has to mend her own punctures), but she wouldn't put up with behaviour like Simon's. I can only think that either Angharad's had some bad experiences or (quite probably) just a darn good imagination.

Irritating stuff tonight, but good for all that.

G

All I can say is who

All I can say is who kidnapped the Kind Considerate Simon we'd seen previously and substituted this Pig? NOBODY diserves to be treated like that... Though, I've seen it all to often. People get their goals set on one thing - and then have blinders where every thing else is concerned.

While Simon has a LOT to make up for (& think about) something MAY be workable.

I've seen highly successful marriages where the woman is a "football widow"... But the most successful - they get things setup for the "big game" prior to the game. No "Honey I need another beer" in the middle of the game.

In and of itself, I don't see a problem with individuals that are part of a couple having different leasure activities - even occasionally separate from each other. They just need to communicate and spend time to gether as well. They need to not do things unilaterally!!! (Or not big things anyway.) Okay, I'll climb down off my soap box now.

Well written - seen it happen - sad that it's happening and it's doubly sad after the UP episodes a bit back.

-Phrancis

Expectations for behavior ...

I haven't commented on this story so far because people have done a good job of giving my opinion as well as their own.. til now.

He's just back from the hospital, still has holes form bird shot, carrying a tv is quite over the top for someone needing help up and down stairs. So, he's a short term idiot. But it may not be the average day in the life. I'm guessing if he'd called out to Stella any other day she'd have shaken the beer and handed it to him. We still don't know his 'secret', only that Stella says there is one. Just have to wait and see.

However, Cathy, true to form is looking for reasons to be uncomfortable and 'put upon'.
She can't bear to be responsible so she hides waiting in the shadows for someone else to prove her theory. I can't be too hard on her either since he/r life is in constant turmoil.

I feel sad for anyone not catered to a bit by loved ones on the return home from an illness.

Tis only a story .. Tis only a story..

I applaud Angharad for writing characters so well that we have given them personalities beyond what she's written, Expectations for behavior ... WELL DONE !!

A minor flaw or worse?

Simon and his sister seem to be frequently teasing and testing each other in a kind of game.

The problem is Cathy doesn't know the rules and takes things too seriously. Cathy's other BIG BIG problem is -- and she admits it sometimes -- is she is so conditioned by her upbringing to look for the cloud surrounding the silver lining. She always sees the glass half empty, she thinks she doen't deserve happiness. Dad, and Mom in foolish complicity, twisted this poor child and made him/her a fragile shell of a person in many ways.

If Simon is a tease but doesn't know when to quit, doesn't know when he is hurting someone, Cathy is better off without him. Dad should be written off or all but written off but Cathy seems to be heading that way. Simon may suprise me. He is suffering after all but he has begun to *milk* his wounded soldier imamge too much and that is sending Cathy all the wrong signals.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

we already know the big secret

NoraAdrienne's picture

The big secret is the fact that Simon is a Peer of the Realm. That is what he was hiding.

What Makes This So Realistic...

...is the fact that this happens in practically every relationship at some point. Men, to make a dangerous generality, are horrible babies when sick or injured. The only ones who know better are the ones who've already been trained :)

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Men, to make a dangerous generality, are horrible babies when...

Uhm... does that mean I'm not supposed to be a man? When I get sick, (which is rare), I just power through it, I might complain a bit, but I still do whatever I need to do, or at least try to. When I get injured... well, I only really have two examples in my life of when I've been injured in any substantial way, little cuts and bruises don't count.

First time, I cut my left knee open clear to the bone, just barely avoiding cutting the bone itself, on a loose nail in one of the floorboards at my grade-schools gym. EVERYONE tried making a big deal out of me when I got back to school, and all I wanted was to be left alone like usual. I could still walk, I could still carry my own bag, etc, I just needed to add a pair of crutches to the mix for a while.

Second time, I busted my left thumb flipping over my handlebars riding my bike to the store for more cheese. (Hey, you know the cheese commercials right? It really is that powerful ;) ). When it happened, I just shrugged it off, limped into the store, washed off, bought my cheese, and rode home. Three days later and it was swelling up like a balloon and getting quite colorful. My mother took me to the ER, where X-rays showed a compound fracture to the base of my thumb where it got caught on my handlebars as I flipped over them. The docs didn't think I'd ever get full flexibility back in that thumb, but some months later, I was back, playing video games, like nothing had ever happened, and trust me, if you play video games at all, you know just how mean they can be on that left thumb. Oh. And during the time that my thumb was in a cast, I was constantly trying to see what I could still accomplish with that hand... Using a gamepad was about the only thing I really couldn't do until I got it out of the cast.

So either A: your generality is completely false, or B: I must be some sort of freak. And since I happen to know many other guys who are just as likely to shrug things off as I am...

All that said, I really am kind of a strange sort of guy, I don't really look at women as a sex object at all, in fact, most of the time when I see a woman, it's what she's wearing that I notice first, rather than what she's not wearing, or what I'd rather she not be wearing, or whatever. Personally, I think that most women dress far too trashy, and, if anything, that's a massive turn-off to me. I'm far more attracted to a modest, well-dressed woman, who is able to think for herself instead of simply following fashion. And that attraction isn't a base, sexual, animal attraction for me either, though it's kinda hard to describe.

Abigail Drew.

Sorry if this was below par

Angharad's picture

I was so tired when writing this that I actually fell asleep in between paragraphs. So the story line may be a bit more rambling than usual.

hugs,

Angharad.

Angharad

Rambling

Angharad, please feel free to ramble on.

Hugs and love,
Cindy

is Simon?

kristina l s's picture

That clueless and insensitive.
Or is he playing up the heroic wounded, bathing in the deserved love and respect of two beautious maidens. Too flowery? Ok, get ya sh-t together Simon ya daft git or you'll blow it. Better?

Kristina

Kristina, I think Simon wants Cathy to bl...

Whew, I almost said a naughty thing.

I get a little lazy myself when I am hurting so I can forgive Simon that. That is temporay but the resing and wordgames and putdowns. His sister may understand and enjoy the game but it is cutting Cathy's fragile ego to the core.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

A Peer of the Realm?

Sounds like Simon can go pee somewhere else then...

I love the story!

Hugs,

Jenna

DOMESTIC BLISS

DOMESTIC BLISS

Can't remember my name