Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 101

Printer-friendly version

The gravy thickens, or do I mean plot? What plot, there isn't one!

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Exhausted of Dorset.
part 101.

I sat back in the car in stunned silence. No wonder Simon was a gentleman, he was from a titled family and not one of your life peers, his probably went back to Magna Carta or beyond, while mine were still emerging from the primordial swamp.

This was what Stella had been on about, this was his secret that put off his girlfriends, or was it? Some might be encouraged by it, especially the gold-diggers. How did I feel? Stunned, completely shocked. If he had said he was a reformed drunk it would have shocked me less. We come from different worlds, I'd known that for some time, now I realised we were from different galaxies as well.

I thought Simon said something but I wasn't listening, I was consumed by my own thoughts. It was over, his parents would never stand for him dating someone who used to be a boy, besides they'd want heirs and I can't give them one.

"I said, where do you want to go for lunch?"

"I don't know, I'm not very hungry."

"It worries you doesn't it?"

"What does?" I couldn't really cope with his games at the moment.

"Going out with a chinless wonder."

"What? What are you on about?"

"It's how they used to describe boys from upper class families who went to public school."

"Did they?" I wanted to brood upon my own thoughts.

He switched off the engine of the car and I barely noticed. He grabbed hold of my hand and pulled me towards him. The action caught me by surprise as did the kiss he planted on my mouth. I responded on autopilot for a moment before I realised what was happening and kissed him back.

"I needed to get your attention."

"You got it," I said breathing heavily.

"Good, now I want us to go somewhere for lunch and discuss when you can come with me to meet my parents."

"I can't meet your parents."

"Why not?"

"Because I can't."

"Why ever not?"

"Because, that's why."

"Because of what?" he sounded a little impatient with me.

"Because I'm a pseudo-woman, remember?" I was close to tears.

"Oh God, did I say that?"

"Yes you did."

"Oops! I'm sorry, I withdraw it immediately and apologise unconditionally."

"Simon, you can't just un-say something. It hurt."

"I'm so sorry, I guess I was upset."

"Yeah, well so am I."

"You have to admit that learning that your gorgeous girlfriend used to be a man, is a bit to take on board."

"I accept that and I accept that you were upset when you made that remark. I realise that we are probably finished as a relationship because of my deception, so why are you asking me to meet your parents? It doesn't make sense."

"Because I still love you, or at least I think I do."

"Wouldn't it be better to make sure before you go embarrassing everyone with my presence?"

"What do you mean?"

"Introducing me to your parents, this is Cathy, she used to be a boy."

"As if I'd do that to you or them?"

"I don't know, isn't your dad likely to have me checked out by a private detective?"

"Why?"

"In case he thought I was a gold digger."

"The biggest gold digger is Stella."

"So is she Lady whatever?"

"Yeah, but we don't use any titles because they get in the way."

"I thought they were supposed to be good for getting tables in crowded restaurants."

"Wouldn't know, try to avoid them, prefer quiet ones myself," he gave me one of his captivating smiles and it did just that, captivated me. "So what about lunch?"

"Yeah, okay?"

"Where, you're the local?"

"Oh I don't know, just drive until we see a pub or something."

"Right, that's what we'll do then." He started up the Saab and we drove for about twenty minutes before we came across a pub that looked half decent. "This do?"

We were in the village of Aust, in the shadow of the Severn Bridge, the original one, with views across the river. "I haven't been down here for years." It had changed more than a little in that time.

Inside, it was busy enough for us to be able to find a table near a window overlooking the river, yet far enough away from other patrons to be able to talk in private.

"So will you come with me to meet my parents?"

"What for?"

"I want them to meet you."

"But why? I'm not trying to be awkward, but don't people usually do that sort of thing when they plan on getting married or something?"

"They want to meet you."

"What for?"

"Okay, Stella has been shooting off that cavernous gob of hers, about 'this girl that Simon is dating,' and they want to meet you."

"What like to have lunch together, somewhere?"

"Yeah, and breakfast, dinner and tea. We're invited up for the weekend, when we can give them some dates."

"Gee whizz Simon, I can't do that. I'd be well out of my depth, I don't know my fish knife from my cummerbund. I'd be so embarrassing to be with. Hampstead would be talking about it for years to come."

"It wasn't Hampstead we're invited to."

"What?"

"They have a little place on Scotland."

"What ten thousand acres of grouse moor?"

"Twenty actually."

"There is no way I am going to a country house where they shoot things."

"We don't shoot things in the house, you clot."

"Don't patronise me Simon, you know perfectly well what I mean."

"So are you refusing?"

"Declining their very generous offer."

"Would you meet them in London?"

"For a meal, yes. can't you say I'm too busy to give up the time for anything longer. It's true if I have to keep an eye on my dad."

"Okay, when can you do it?"

"I haven't thought about it, so I don't know."

"Next weekend?" He pulled out his mobile and began to call someone. "Hi Dad, we can do lunch next saturday, at your club? Can't we go somewhere a bit more lively? The Savoy, yeah that'd be fine. One pm, gotcha, we'll be there. She hasn't yet but I think she will. Okay, see you on saturday."

"I haven't what but I will, what?" I demanded.

"Marry me what else?"

I sat and felt my mouth gape open.

"Only joking, the dormouse campaign, the pictures for the posters and fliers."

"Simon, I am going to kill you when we go somewhere private." The relief I felt was almost palpable. Then he sniggered and so did I, then he chuckled and so did I. Then he roared and I giggled. By the time they brought our food, they probably thought they had a couple of escaped loonies in their pub.

We were about to eat when his phone rang. He picked it up and after a few words to the caller said, "There's a Scott for sale on ebay."

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another well done chapter

I'm impressed a whole chapter without the sky falling on Cathys head!Love your writing and keep up the good work.Amy

Looking up!

Well, things are looking up all over! Simon has apologized (not quite abjectly enough, but a good start) and it's off to meet the parents. And maybe a lead on her bike! Now, where can we get a Hunters Are Murders button for her to wear? ;)

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Bambi Killer?

Karen_J,

Maybe a T-shirt with "I killed Bambi and I Repented", or "I Loved to Shoot Small, Furry, Helpless Amimals, I was a F**kn' Idiot", maybe "The GoGo's have it Right" Or something along that line to prove to Cathy he is sympathetic. Oooh, on the otherhand "My Girlfriend is a Man," would be counterproductive. Or a Sable coat, BIG no no.

I agree, if they come from a stinking rich family why does Simon's sister claim she gets the money for her expensive clothes from Simon? Is this a familly were men have control of everything or is she not telling Cathy the truth?

Ang, you still owe us non-metric folks over 50 parts.

Give Cathy a happy ending, K?

John in Wauwatosa, one hours drive easy from the Trek factory in Waterloo, far less to Harley in Milwaukee or Wauwatosa.

John in Wauwatosa

Hunting

I have no problem with people hunting to get food or to use the various parts to make items needed for their own use.

I do have a problem with people who hunt only for sport, with no intention to use any of it, just to kill as many animals as they can.

I've done some hunting myself, spent a summer up in Northern Ontario many years ago, where a part of my survival was due to hunting. I would not agree with a button such as you describe, simply because there are many hunters who only do it as described in my first statement. To paint them with the same brush as the ones who hunt as described in my second statement would be very, very wrong and unethical.

Are things looking up for Cathy?

Or is this the lull before the next storm? A change of pace is good and keeps we fans on our toes.

The Scott I owned was a temperamental 1932 TT Replica 2 stroke water-cooled twin probably worth as much as Cathy's carbon delight if I still had it. I wonder if Simon's going to make an eBay bid - it'll be interesting to see how this plot line develops.

G

bike on ebay

Be a pain if Cathy has to buy her own stolen bike. Not sure how it works if you think there is stolen property on Ebay. Interesting news about Simon and Stella. If the folks are filthy rich why does Stella always talk about getting money from her brother? I'd think she has her own stash. Hmm... is there more to Stella than we know so far? Seems like Simon is turning out to be a nice guy. Wonder if he still has another secret.

Nice when things are looking up for Cathy but my worry is that it just give her farther to fall.

For a story without a plot...

.. this one is rather captivating. It's a bit of a pity that Cathy didn't fall of her bike during this chapter. After all, it's "falling of your bike 101" *grin*

Only bad thing about the author is that she makes me feel so stupid. She uses a lot of wordplay I don't quite understand, like that "trout" thing.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Ignore the bits that don't work for you!

Angharad's picture

Schubert's quintet is nick named the trout, nothing clever and I am sure you are far from stupid. We all have different data bases in our heads, depending upon our culture, age and proclivities. I happen to like classical music. I hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment.

hugs,

Angharad.

Angharad

Classical Music

At least you referenced a fairly well known piece, unlike myself who seems to gravitate toward the completely obscure :)

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Actually ...

... I think the nickname for the quintet derives from the fact that the second movement uses much of the theme from the song 'die Forelle' (The Trout) which is fairly short and is about a fisherman stalking a trout in a clear stream. I love it dearly. In fact I was humming it today as, in glorious November sunshine, I strolled along a well-known trout river somewhere in England :O)

... and Angharad is right about knowledge sets. I know quite a lot about a few subjects. In fact I'm gradually getting to know more and more about less and less. I'm sure eventually I'll know absolutely everything about nothing at all.

I'll get me coat.

Geoff

What I find fun with this

What I find fun with this story is while I am reading it, I am remembering the three wonderful years I spent living in England as a teenager, when my father was stationed there in the American Air force. I can, because of this life experience, understand most of the British slang and comments made and identify the names of various stores and places mentioned. Along with that are the many life long friends that I and my family made there. We still see several of them every year or so.
Thanks you so much for these memories through your story. What fun. Janice Lynn

Lakenheath Air Force Base?

I was there around 1962 to 1965. I wasn't old enough to enjoy it though.

The deepest truths

are told in jest. Or something like that. Looks like Simon is over his tiff.

Could the bike from the title

Could the bike from the title make its triumphant return guess ill click the link and find out.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

E-bay

Meet the parents is scary enough, but I guess in GB it's terrifying if they are Royals (did I say that right? I'm a Yank)
Knuckle busting time. Stella did say Simon used to fight all the time, she herself is a martial artist. Not to be compared to a landscape artist, sorry, the relief has lowered my bp. Hey, where's the 12lb (thanks, no kilos) hammer?

Cefin

I started read this way back

I started reading this way back when. Why I stopped, I don't know. But, I've started over a Chapter 1, and have made it this far back into it, at 5 or 6 chapters a day. And, I'm happy that I picked it back up.

Wow

I absolutely love the story.
If I could keep this pace up I would catch up in a month. You've got me hooked