Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 141

Printer-friendly version

Cathy shows off her dormouse handling skills and misses the point of the exercise.

Easy As Falling Off A Trike.
by Angharad
part 1+4+1 = half a dozen 8)

I got back to the university by about half ten, I felt exhausted but I had three students to interview about the project. I was just finishing my tea when they arrived. It was obvious they'd heard the rumours because while they approached me they were whispering and exchanging glances. I thought we'd get the sniggering over fast.

"Hi I'm Cathy Watts," I reached out a hand to the first student a buxom girl, with unruly dark hair. She was taller and wider than I was, and her hand was larger.

"Zoe, Zoe Tripp. She blushed as her hand seemed to engulf mine. I felt quite good about it.

Next was, "Denise," a redhead about my size with masses of freckles and brown eyes, quite a pretty girl.

Finally, "Nick," was the young man who brought up the rear, wearing those ridiculous jeans that show the wearer's underpants, in this case made by 'Ben Sherman'.

"Okay, I saw the sniggers and funny looks, care to share it with me?"

"They said you were a transvestite," offered Zoe.

"A transvestite?" I shook my head.

"And what do you think, are they correct?" None of them made any effort to say anything.
"If we're going to be working together, I think we need to resolve this, okay?"

The three students nodded. "I'm going to ask you in turn what you think, okay?" they all nodded.

I looked at Zoe, "You look like a woman to me, prettier than I am."

"Yeah, I agree. Those trousers would show if you were a boy," contributed Denise.

"Doin' anything tonight?" said Nick, smiling.

"I don't think you could afford me, Nick, but thanks for the offer. The other thing is that my fiance may not take it too kindly and he's quite a bit bigger than you." I watched him blush.

I then spent half an hour outlaying my project and the data I was collecting. They asked a few questions and I answered them. I explained how important it was and that they had to be committed to it or leave now.

I showed them our captive breeding programme, where Neal was cleaning out some containers. "Hi Neal, how's it going?"

"Hi gorgeous," he said, flirting with me enough to make me blush. The three youngsters were laughing at his fooling around. He did manage to steal a kiss though and went off pretending he was drunk.

"See what I have to put up with, Nick you should be okay, I don't think he's gay." That made Nick blush and the girls titter. I explained what we were trying to achieve and how the programme had already cost over twenty thousand pounds a year to run.

We went back to my room at the lab and I explained some more. At the end, they all wanted in, which was good. We agreed to meet on the next evening at the university and I would show them how to do a site check. I gave them a pile of paper about the project results and the two papers I'd published with Prof Agnew. I also gave them a photocopied article on dormouse signs and habitats, plus a couple of gnawed hazel nut shells, showing how they differed from mouse or squirrel gnawed shells. They seemed quite impressed.I hoped they would be responsible and reliable, this thing was my baby.

The nutty professor had insisted I meet him for lunch at a pub about four hundred yards away, I walked there. He waved from the lounge bar when he saw me at the door. "Hi Cathy," he gave me a peck on the cheek.

He ordered me a St Clements, and asked me how things were going. I explained that I had been to see Dr Thomas, the police and then interviewed three students for my project.

"That all?" he laughed when I went to strangle him. "They any good?"

"I won't know until I get some results back from them, I just hope they have stickability."

"Yes, quite a commitment, still they could also get mention in government circles and a mention in some big journal papers. 'Nature' have agreed to do a peer review when we have something to show them and the Journal of the Mammalian Society are also interested. I also told the BBC Natural History magazine that you'd do them a piece with some nice piccies of dormice, about a thousand words. Oh you'll get a fifty quid fee for that."

"The money would be nice, but when am I supposed to write it?"

"What about this afternoon, I know you have some amazing pictures of dormice. Email it to this guy at this address."

"Bristol, that figures."

"Oh you could have dropped it in on thursday, never mind." He laughed at me and once more I made to strangle him. "Never bite the hand that feeds you." I moved back. "Talking of which, what do you want to eat?" I settled for a jacket potato with tuna in mayonnaise. He had a chicken curry.

"Tomorrow morning I need you to look tidy, I want you to show someone around your captive breeding set up. Have you still got your tame vermin?"

"What Spike?"

"Spike, what sort of name is that for a bloody dormouse?"

"Well she has a small spike of hair where she got bitten when she was young, it stands up a bit."

"I'll bet they've all got names haven't they?"

"So, what's wrong with that?"

"Geez woman, you're supposed to be a scientist, not a nursery nurse."

"These are my babies," I pouted at him and he nearly choked on his Guinness, when he'd stopped coughing, he shook his head and rolled his eyes at me, "I knew we shouldn't have had women on this project."

"You seemed quite pleased to have me at your house the other night, your impromptu dinner party, remember."

"Oh, all right, I suppose you do have your uses."

"You're only jealous because I slept with Simon."

"Yes I am, damned impertinence, that!"

"Well at least he had the grace to ask me to marry him, you wouldn't have." I pouted again.

"I'm your employer, if I married you Mary would kill me after the ceremony." He laughed drawing his hand across his throat. "Besides, he's better looking and has more money and probably more staying power," he winked at me, "if he hasn't give me a shout," he winked again.

"You are a dirty old man Agnew," said a male voice. We both looked up to see Dr Andrews stood beside us. "Well aren't you going to get me a drink Tom?"

"He does this to me every time," sighed Prof Agnew, "here, get him a gin and tonic, no ice," he thrust a fiver in my hand. I sighed and went and got it for him, bloody stereotype again!

"Right any more nasties in the post?" asked Agnew.

"What's this?" asked the Dean.

I explained about the letters and that I had been to the police that morning again. They both made reassuring noises of support, but there wasn't much else they could do. We all walked back to the university and I sat and wrote a simple account of the dormouse recovery programme and gave little other information. I included some rather good photos taken with infra red, some close ups of Spike, who is quite happy to pose in daylight as long as I give her a brazil nut. I know if ever she gets to South America, she'll destroy the rainforest in about three weeks. She'll also do tricks for coconut, but I don't tell the professor about that, she's too tame to put into the wild unless it was next door to Waitrose or Sainsbury's.

I went home feeling a bit anxious in case there was any more trouble with the two morons on my floor or more hate mail. There was neither. I ended up having a quiet night, a couple of rolls and some tea, a quick call to Simon and I went to bed. He wanted me to go back to the cottage, I declined. I needed an early night and had one.

I awoke at about six and decided to get up, I showered checked my legs for hair and after shaving them decided I'd get them waxed next time, shaving was a drag every week or two. I did under my arms as well. I did my hair in a down style and put on a bit more makeup than I'd usually wear to work. I wore a suit Stella had given me, with a scoop necked top and a push up bra. I showed a bit of cleavage. I ummed and ahhed over it for about quarter of an hour. I wondered who the mysterious visitor was that Agnew had given me instructions to impress. I added my mother's sapphire necklace and earrings then a silver bracelet and her engagement ring, on my right hand. A squirt of Chanel no 5 in various places and I was ready.

The suit was a straight skirt which came to above knee, and fitted jacket which made the most of my bust and smaller waist, making the one look bigger and the other smaller respectively. It was in a cornflower design on a darker blue background and made by some French company in Paris. It fitted me like a glove and with my navy pumps, looked quite smart. Too smart for the office really. I had tea and toast for breakfast not feeling very hungry and concerned I might get jam on my outfit.

I popped in to see Mary Miller, "Wow Cathy, you look great, you going somewhere nice today?"

"No, Grumpy told me to look tidy today," I nodded at the professor's door.

"You look like a model."

"I'm too short and not curvy enough."

"I don't think so. I think you look beautiful."

"Thank you Mrs Miller, I think you look pretty good too."

"Call me Mary, Cathy, you're far too polite you know."

"Thanks Mary, if that's okay."

"Course it is pet. Let's have a cuppa before bighead gets in."

We had just finished when the Professor came in, I was stood with my back to him when he came in, looking at some photos Mary had of her son's wedding. "Is that the person from the ministry?" he hissed at Mary.

"No, it's Lady Stanebury," hissed Mary back, I'd told her of my engagement while we had our coffee.

"Who? Is she with the Department?"

"Yes, friend of the Secretary of State," hissed Mary.

"You'd better introduce me." I heard him say and felt him walking closer.

"Lady Stanebury, can I introduce the nutty professor," said Mary to my back. On hearing Simon's name I turned around.

"Jesus, Mar...., bloody hell it's Cathy, you look amazing, every part the lady of the manor. He took my hand and kissed it.

I stood there blushing and glaring at Mary who was cackling like an old witch.

"Is this the ring?" asked Agnew, looking at my hand which he still held.

"No, it's my mum's, we haven't got one yet, haven't had time."

"Get a good one girl, he can afford it," advised my boss.

"I shall know the one when I see it."

"Right, has our visitor arrived yet?"

"Not yet, you said ten." Mary didn't allow him all his own way.

"Okay, it's half nine now, you in my office," he pointed at me, "You make me some coffee," he nodded at Mary."

"One grain or two?" she called back.

"What?" he looked puzzled.

"Arsenic, one grain or two?"

"I wondered why it always tasted so foul." He ushered me into his office. "We have some quite important guests coming, God but you do look fabulous this morning," he scratched his groin. "One from Natural England, another from the Department of the Environment, and some creep from Brussels."

"The last one from the EU was a lovely man, looked liked a film star." I sighed a deliberate deep sigh and pretended to look starry eyed.

"You silly cow, this one is likely to be bald and fat."

"Like you?"

"Cheeky bitch, you just watch that pet rat of yours doesn't jump down that cleavage because I might be tempted to help find him."

"Spike is female and she's a dormouse not a rat."

"All the bloody same, hairy tailed rats!" He loved to wind me up, but today I wasn't going to play.

"Some zoologist you are, don't know your arsefoot from your elbow!"

"My what?" he spluttered at me.

"It's an American grebe, also called a helldiver I believe."

"The birdwatching I do is usually in pubs and clubs and infinitely more satisfying than those feathered things you like."

I shook my head in mock disgust, "Still you look tidier than usual," I said appraising him. He just glowered.

Mary came in without a coffee, "There's a cab pulling up outside, I think your visitors are early."

"Oh hell, make them drive around the block, I need my caffeine."

"Can't you have one with them?" I asked.

"What the stuff Mary makes, you're joking."

"It hasn't killed you yet," I observed.

"It's only a matter of time," he said and slumped in his chair. "I had hair till she came to work for me."

"You're an old drama queen," I quipped.

"Taken you a long time to discover that," he said his eyes twinkling, "Elope with me before they get here," he said his eyes pleading.

"Sorry, not today, I left the cooker on."

"Oh bugger!" he said and we laughed.

"Where do you want me, with regard to your vistors?" I added quickly.

"Here by my side, no better still where you are, I can see more of your cleavage."

The door opened and Mary ushered in, "Dr Hill from Natural England, Dr Smythe from The DoE and Professor O'Malley from the EU." In walked a middle aged man, a woman about forty but in good condition, and a tall red haired man with a huge bushy beard. He was as Irish as they came and he had a voice like liquid chocolate, I nearly melted under the table when he introduced himself.

"Tom Agnew, and my post grad colleague, Cathy Watts. I've asked her to accompany us because she's running the rodent element of the survey. She's also set up a captive breeding programme for dormice, which we'll go round presently." I shook hands with all three of our visitors, the mad Irishman kissing my hand. What is it with professors?

Agnew did eventually get his coffee and we talked about the survey and the costs, or at least he did. Then about half an hour later, we went to go down to my lab and the dormouse project, and Dr Smythe asked if we could take some photos to report to the minister. I could hardly refuse, expecting her to produce a small digital camera, instead she beckoned over a young bloke with a camera bag.

We went down to my lab and I explained my own survey and showed some of my computerised data, then we went to see Spike and her buddies. I had a brazil nut and she happily sat in my hand feeding from it, storing bits in her cheek pouches.

"Can we get a picture of you holding the dormouse?" asked Dr Smythe. I could hardly refuse when she had agreed to fund some more equipment, night vision stuff and more laboratory equipment. The cages we used were quite expensive built especially for us in darkened glass. "Just to show the minister." I stood there like a lemon smiling while Spike tickled my hand."

"Hold her up just a little higher, lets get the cages in the shot as well, that's great. Now one with you as well Professor," and Agnew stood alongside me, his arm around my waist. Then it was with the mad Celt, and the Natural England bod. Finally one of us all together with me in the middle, still holding Spike, although she was now on a hazelnut.

At last it was over, I think during the visit Spike had eaten half her bodyweight in nuts. Oh well she's so good, blinking in the daylight. I love her to bits, and she's had so many babies, and reared them all. I get broody when I see her pregnant again, but I can never have babies of my own. Sigh!

The phone in the lab rang, "Are you coming to lunch with us?" It was Agnew.

"Do I have to?" I wasn't really hungry.

"But of course."

"Okay, I'll be right up." I nipped in the toilet and freshened up, afterwards I walked up to his office, then accompanied the mob to a nice restaurant about a mile away, ferried there by a large Mercedes.

After lunch, where I was pretty well forced to have some Chablis with my tuna bake, the visitors were collected by the Merc again and Agnew and I got an ordinary cab, back to the uni.

"Thanks for doing the photos, they'll look really good on the poster, there'll also be one in the local rag tomorrow."

"What? You are going to use those photos for the poster?"

"Yes, why do you think they took them?"

"She said for the minister."

"Yes, he's the one who wanted the pictures for the poster, to keep your boyfriend's bank happy."

"If I'd known that was what they were doing I wouldn't have agreed to it."

"Who else could hold your tree rat for half an hour?"

"Neal, she's quite fond of him and Sharon."

"Sharon is on leave, besides, you looked really dishy today."

"I hate you!" I pouted, "I just hope there won't be any negative feedback from them via the tabloids."

"Can't think why."

"The grapevine is on broadband speeds," I explained.

"Publish and be damned," he said and put his arm around me, "we could still elope if you'd prefer."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comments are welcome, tell me what crap it is!

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OK, if you insist.

It's crap and I can't think why I read it every evening/early morning. Oh, and stop fishing for compliments :)

Now, as a very experienced trikie, I can assure you that cornering a racing trike is one of the best cures for constipation known to the cycling world. Never the less I've only rolled mine once and that was off-road on a dreadful camber so it doesn't count. Got close a few times though.

Just wondered how the conversation with the 3 undergrad students went. Cathy denied being a transvestite (which, I suppose, technically, she is). Did she confess to being a TS or did she leave the students with the impression she was a genetic female? As all her colleagues know the true position that could be embarrassing later I would have thought. I know there's a school of thought that makes the prof's secretary the poison pen writer, but if she is, she's a damn good actress - or you're playing with us again, you minx.

thanks

Geoff

Transvestite?

PattieBFine's picture

No sorry your confused, They don't grow boobies of the human flesh type! much less want their dangling bits inverted! SO! she isn't one... nuff said! Just a little side comment for we who hail from the US of A To put the ring on the right hand and middle finger there of... is how it's done when married, if I remember right, on your side of THE POND? Just gave me a mental fart while reading for few lines! giggle!

Great stuff your turnning out! Don't stop or I'll talk to Maddy Bell to have her send GABY over to tinker with her bike! Hmmm... could be an interesting bit, that!
:-)

Pattie B.

Erm ...

I don't dare tell you it's crap. Cats are far too imaginative in their revenge....

And I'm having far too much fun reading it.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite."
Robert A. Heinlein

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Oh

well, ghee. Crap huh? As I'm still learning English. Vocabulary. Grammar. Idiom. Context. And so on, I'm quite happy to learn that the writing you manage to deliver time and again is characterized as 'crap' !

Now I will be able to assure every other writer which I think is doing a fine job writing, that it in fact is crap, and that s/he may feel very good about it. That I surely enjoyed reading it, so much so that I felt pressed to assure the author how wonderful crappy it was.

Thanks for yet another pleasurable read.

Jo-Anne

Maybe

Jo-Anne,

I think the use of "crap" to describe this kind of writing must be local to people in her area of the UK. Here in the US (I know, they say we don't speak English here, but there are a lot of us.) the term has a very different meaning. In fact, it's meaning has little to do with literature at all. It's usually reserved to excrement. So, lets just not go there.

On to the story itself... Looks like Cathy is right on top of things. Yep, she knew all along what the pictures would be used for. She's just modist. Is this surprising in an academician? No. I've met any number that were lucky to know what to do with a clue, if it were handed to them, outside their field of expertise. Of course, that doesn't apply to the entire breed, and some of them learn at least recognize a clue when they see on. :-)

Angharad, Thanks again for a fun read! I refuse to categorize the quality of the prose or the depth of the story!

Phran

Cathy is lucky

Fitted jackets generally do the opposite for me, rather like trying to dress up a board.

Now, as for this modesty thingy you've got going, enough already! How many times do we have to tell you that you are absolutely brilliant? Except about touch pads, that is. One or two horrendously bad puns suggest themselves, but I won't stoop to that level. In public, that is . . . .

Yes, Mary seems quite a nice and sincere person. That's why I suspect her. Clever, huh?

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Make up your mind

Is it rubbish or crap?I prefer to look at it this way one womans rubbish is another womans gold accept if the rubbish is crap then you can keep it.Keep up the great work and I hope your health is good.Hugs Amy

Tell You

...what crap it is?

Okay, maybe it's Cat Crap, which is an outdoorsy brand of lens cleaner/defogger.

After all, this story is getting clearer and clearer!

Okay, you win

It's crap. Total rubbish. I can't believe it's still running.

Satisfied?

Bloody loony. Geoff was right. You're just fishing for compliments aren't you.

I think it's a wonderful, heart-warming story, which has little if anything to do with bikes, trikes or anything with wheels really. Not that that detracts at all from the flow, composition or ingenuity of the author to captivate us and hold us in the palm of her hand for the duration of each instalment.

Happy now?

Good!

Now get on with the next chapter...

Utter crap

You should hang your head in shame for inflicting this garbage on us!!!
Satisfied?
I couldn't care less whether the story is about a young woman with the wrong bits, daft aristocrats, bicycles, or dormice; it's beautifully written and great fun to read.
Now get on with it. I am stuck at home with a bug and need cheering up :-)
PS Hope the back's better

Sinisterpenguin

CRAP

One of my university lecturers wrote CRAP at the end of one of my assignments once. When I demanded to know what he meant, he replied "Can't Recommend A Pass". :)

Croque.

No, you have it all wrong

The crap comes out of a different part of a cow.

Milk comes out of an udder ... Oh utter cra... Sorry.

So you feel you need to be abused? Here we go. Ang, this chapter was total crap, devoid of any merrit whatsoever. Even the mouse was a disaster. And to be honest the mouse looks a little fat, she's really let her self go. Probably all that partying with Britany and Paris.

There, now whack yourself on the head with a brick three times with meals and you'll feel better.

Are you CRAZY?! This stuff is wonderful. Oh a typo or two but nothing big usually and the story is charming.

Karen, have we concidered the posiblity that one of he captive breeding mice is the rat leaking the rumors?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Wonderful, you've cheered me up no end…

…with this fantastic chapter.

I'm stuck in bed with a cold bug that won't warm up—probably a good thing as it's not my type. Your epic narrative goes from strength to strength and if it's "CRAP" that stands for "Can't Resist Angharad's Prose".

Thanks for cheering me up, I really look forward to my Daily Dose.

Hugs

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Loint of Paw

A question if I may. Are laws in the UK that different about publishing photographs? Here in the US, if someone published a photograph of someone else, and that photograph did not contain "news" value, without the subject's WRITTEN consent, the original someones would be open to litigation. I guess it is quite typical for a Governmental agency to try such things, they are always trying to get away with it. Whatever "it" happens to be at the time.

Hugs and love,
Cindy

Iffy ground

I have no idea of the UK laws, just giving a perspective from the POV of someone who has occasionally made money in the photojournalist biz. Right off, I'd have to say there is some news value, as the group she is a member of is getting this nice slug of money to further their work. Second, I'd be willing to put a ten spot on the likelihood that somewhere in the mass of paperwork she undoubtedly signed when the university took her on is a publicity agreement, giving the university the right to promote her work and even to profit from it. So her permission is a bit of a given under the circumstances, she likely has no say-so.

However, if I were that photog I would have been shoving standard release forms at everybody whose picture I took, just as a precaution. If you work for a regular news organization your unopposed presence can be pretty much construed as an acceptance by the subject, but as this bloke was clearly a PIO staffer he should have been covering his ass better.

That being said, this is fiction, so if Angharad wants to bend the rules a bit, who am I to complain?

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yes, But . . .

Cathy did oppose the session by asking the question of what use the photography is to be put. She accepted after being lied to (or misled if you prefer). Which would then fall under the realm of consent under duress. And, yes, the photog should have CYA with a standard release form.

My job in the legal department of a movie studio is showing through too much. I work around lawyers too much. Sorry.

Hugs and love,
Cindy

Permissions

Lady Cynthia may actually be correct there.

Although I cannot find anything definitive, it is likely that for advertising purposes, the Uni would have had to get permission to use the photos for the purposes for which they were taken.

For in-house presentations, it may well be okay to use photographs without the consent of those featured, however for advertising, it's a different matter - as far as I can tell from the information I have found.

It is unlikely that permission has been obtained for this and it's likely that express permission would have to be obtained in order for the photographs to be used.

One thing that has to be remembered that this is a fictional account of a fictional character and therefore it's not necessarily the case that all the legalities have to be entered into prior to this material's use.

In reality, who cares?

The fact is that she was wearing a really expensive YSL suit, looked stunning and whilst you'd never guess from the photos, smelled pretty good too!

Angharad seems to be playing on Cathy's refusal to believe that she looks as good as others are telling her. That's the crux of the matter. I for one can forgive glossing over the use of a few snapshots and since they're not of the compromising variety, I say no problem.

Nick

The other side

is the carrot and stick. It may not be legal, but some very serious funding is dependent on Cathy co-operating. It is mostly a win-win situation. I'm still having trouble believing no one is taking the threats seriously. Simon is rich enough to hire a unobtrusive body guard if need be, and I suspect his Dad would be more than happy to foot the bill.

Clap - Crap

Are you going through A Cathy spell ? Five guy faint when she walks by, But our girl looks in the mirror and cry's. " I look like Jack Reacher in drag Another great normal interaction chapter.

Cefin