Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 176

Printer-friendly version

"You realise how embarrassing this could be for your fiance?"

"What, when he sues you?" I felt so angry.

"I like you Charlie, you've got balls! Oh dear I shouldn't have said that, now you won't like me."

"Go to hell." I suggested very loudly.

"No, I think that's where you're going to go tomorrow if you don't talk to me."

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by:Wassername.
part: 12x14.66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666'

I had just finished the tutorial and was having a quick cuppa before I started on some letters for the project, when the phone rang.

"Hello?" I said into the handpiece.

"Is that Cathy Watts?"

"Speaking, who is that?" I didn't recognise the voice, but that was nothing new, could be someone from a uni up country.

"You don't know me..." why was my stomach flipping over?

"I work for a well regarded newspaper and would like to speak with you regarding your forthcoming marriage to Lord Cameron."

"Sorry, I don't do interviews," I snapped.

"But I think you'll talk to me?" said the voice full of it's own conviction.

"I wouldn't bet on it." I said and was about to put the phone down.

"Does Lord Cameron realise he's going to marry a boy?"

"I beg your pardon?" I said meaning, what the fuck?

"Does he know you're a boy?"

My head was spinning and I felt sick. I wanted to run screaming, but I needed to know if he was bluffing or if he knew something.

"If I was, I don't think Simon would have asked me." I bluffed back.

"Well now, perhaps he doesn't know."

"Perhaps neither do you."

"Oh I know alright."

"Good for you, even if you are wrong."

"You realise how embarrassing this could be for your fiance?"

"What, when he sues you?" I felt so angry.

"I like you Charlie, you've got balls! Oh dear I shouldn't have said that, now you won't like me."

"Go to hell." I suggested very loudly.

"No, I think that's where you're going to go tomorrow if you don't talk to me."

"What do you mean?" I was feeling very sick at this point.

"Unless you tell us what is going on, we shall go with what we have and that is interesting enough to make the front pages."

"Of what?"

"Oh that would be telling."

"Fuck Off!" I said very loudly.

"Very ladylike I'm sure. Will Viscount Stanebury be impressed? I don't think so."

I said nothing, desperately trying to find a way out of this nightmare.

"I did so enjoy your dormouse juggling." Continued the voice.

I put the phone down and burst into tears. Then pulling myself together, I called Pippa.

"I've just had some seedy tabloid journalist on the phone, they seem to know and they're going to do a story."

"Oh sh..ugar!" she said back. "Prof Agnew has gone to a meeting, what can we do?"

I don't know, I don't know," I said tears rolling down my face.

"Have you spoken to Simon?"

"I can't he's working."

"Send him a text and tell Stella as well."

"Good thinking Batman." I managed to squeeze out in between sniffs, texting while crying makes it much harder to see the letters on the small screen.

'Press seem 2 know about my past. Have sum1 snoopin now, wants i/view. Gonna do runna, back 2 Toms. LOL C.xxx'

I pressed send and then repeated it for Stella. Both were working, so I didn't expect any response. I was in the shit and didn't know what to do. Then I had an idea.

I punched in the digits, it rang the other end. "Hello?" said the male voice.

"Hi Des, it's Cathy Watts."

"Oh yes, we never did get that bike ride."

"If you promise not to try and seduce me, we could yet."

"Erm, that's a big promise."

"I need a favour."

"That's a very big promise," he said with emphasis.

"Simon would kill you."

"True, but it was a nice thought."

I shook my head, here I am going out of my mind and he's playing sex games!

"So what's the problem gorgeous?"

"The press are after me again."

"Still you mean?"

I'm at my wits end and he wants to discuss semantics? "Still, again, it doesn't matter. Some guy just phoned me and asked me if Simon knew he was marrying a boy."

"Wunnerful, the old blackmail stuff, talk to me or we'll fuck you up, yes?"

"Pretty well I think. What should I do?"

"That my sweetheart is a good question. Essentially you can go and talk to him, or you can refuse and see what he has got when he publishes. If you do speak to him, then make sure you have someone in authority who has some experience of dealing with the press, or he'll shaft you royally. How much did you say on the phone?"

I tried to remember, my mind was blank. "I don't remember, not a lot. But he did mention Charlie, my old name."

"Okay, let's assume he has the basis of a story, he's either checking it out or he's not sure enough to go with it. Did you deny it?"

"I can't remember, I sort of did."

"Well if you called up some woman and asked her if she used to be a boy, what would you expect in response?"

"I don't know, she'd either laugh or swear at me."

"Exactly, what did you do?"

"I swore at him eventually."

"Eventually, what does that mean?"

"I don't know," I sobbed sniffing and snorting into the phone.

"Come on girl, pull yourself together, you have to fight back not go all girly on me."

"How can I fight back, I don't even know who I'm fighting," I sobbed, "I've done nothing wrong," I wailed.

"Yeah, just different, Simon is the attraction and the fact that you are so damned pretty." He paused. "He didn't tell you who he was working for or who he was?"

"No, he didn't tell me anything about himself." I was sobbing more quietly now.

"Okay, do you want to really shaft him?"

"Yes, what have I got to do?"

"Give an exclusive to someone else, someone you trust, or at least a paper or TV channel you trust."

"WHAT!" I shouted probably damaging his hearing for several weeks.

"I think you heard what I said, it's the only way you can stop him. If you've gone live first he has no story, plus you may get to control the content a little more."

"What you mean talk to you?"

"If you really wanted to, I suppose I could see you tomorrow, but I'm busy really. Is there a newpaper you trust?"

"One of the heavies, Guardian or Independent, Times or Telegraph at a push."

"I know someone on the Guardian, or you could talk to the Beeb again, same news team."

"Oh God, I don't know Des, Oh I feel sick..." I dropped the phone and rushed to the prep room sink and brought up the soup I'd had for lunch.

"Hi I'm back, sorry, I was sick."

"Okay beautiful, I can appreciate how you feel. Can you get up to Bristol and I'll set up an interview."

"God, it's a long way to go to commit suicide on telly." I felt really negative.

"No, that's a good thing. It will mean it goes out on a national bulletin, so impact locally will be reduced, you've stolen their thunder. Look I've got to go, I have an appointment, ring me in a couple of hours and if you want, I'll set things up. Don't talk to anyone without someone with you, okay?"

"Thanks Des, I'm sorry I was so horrible to you."

"I was an arsehole Cathy, you responded appropriately. Give me a ring."

"Okay, thanks Des." I put the phone down. It was three pm. I had no lights on my bike, so I needed to go in case I had to detour. Shit this was not going to be much fun.

I changed into my cycling gear and told Pippa I was going home. She warned me to be careful, and to remember what happened last time I fell off a bike. She had a point.

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Des can be a gentleman?

He even knows he was an arsehole? Wow... Will the world come to an end now?

The guy on the phone however. ARGH!

I wonder what would have happened to him, had Cathy gotten his name and such, and passed it on to her future father-in-law...

Now, going public in a BIG way... WOW.

Looking forward to see what happens next in this ongoing saga.

Didn't good things happen ...

... the last time Cathy fell off her bike? Though, generally, coming off isn't much fun as I know from bitter personal experience :) As I keep saying (and no-one listens :( ) Des is a good guy - he must be; he's a cyclist, he has a beard, and he wears sandals. I bet he's even got Shimano sandals with shoe plates, like me *giggle*

So the shit hit's the fan. Let's see who gets a face full. Thanks Angharad, you never fail to entertain.

G

wow!

More exciting than Corrie!

More uplifting than Eastenders

More manure than Emerdale

This is my kind of soap!

My knickers are in a twist with anticipation.

Hugs
Sue

Aaaack! Thrip!

Poor Cathy has had more than her share of A**holes and psychos in her life, Dad and his church, the insane secretary, the two jocktypes at her appartment bulding, the men following her, the poachers and now this jerk. He needs he balls handed to him on a platter. The poaches shot by mistake, the jocks are inept, Dad maybe is making up to her -- too damned late I'd say but I hope he's sincere, and Mary was off her meds and couldn't help herself. The reporter has no excuse at all.

Cathy is such a bloody saint yet so many people try to hurt her. Maybe she IS a saint?

I don't think it's so much for her but how it will hurt others that Cathy is worried. I wonder if they have anymore of that rohypnol Mary used on Cathy, that and a rusty boat hook? Argh, maties! Nah, just feed the bastard to the tabloid press, he'd give the sharks indigestion.

Top notch, Ang.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Cathy is found to be intersexed during surgery and always was a genetic as well as spirually a woman and a few years down the road she's a pregnant mother. But then, as I often say, I like the Disney ending. I'm not sure were our Welsh maniac is going only that it will be fun, sad, happy, likely out of left field as us Americans would say, and it sells lots of Kleenex.

John in Wauwatosa in awe of it all.

John in Wauwatosa

To press or not to press

First she choose's to go on the air, then she decide's to mess with the car of the probable press following her then she gets threatened by the press who probably owned that car so she's now probably going to go back on the air to counter that story.I'm confused Lol Amy

Simon with her?

Ya know... if Cathy does an interview for TV wouldn't it be great if Simon was with her for it?

I gots another idea

NoraAdrienne's picture

I think the whole interview would be even more moving if the whole family were there.. including the crazy mother in law..

Nora

Mother-in-law Hmmmm

We know future pop-in-law is "in the know" as it were... But we've never heard whether he clued in his spouse. If he has NOT loaned her a clue. I'd REALLY like to be in a place where I could watch her reaction(s)...

Sigh

Cathy is being a bit dense not having prepared for this eventuality. I would have thought Des was her wake up call. It's just so God damn ridiculous that this should matter, absolute bollocks.

Anyway, her life is going to enter the three ring stage soon I think.

Thank you ma'am for a most amazing story run, you are no doubt the perpetual motion story machine.

Kim

Suspense

Will Cathy get rescued from the dastardly print media by Des and the hoary BBC? Tune in to Part 177.

marie c.

marie c.

suspense

Aw, come on, Angharad can keep us in suspense for more than one chapter. Any bets on whether Cathy's torture is relieved before 180?

Wowwwwwww!

Now the excrement's gonna hit the aircon

What's Simon going to say?

What's Stella going to say.

OMG!!!

Sorry, no recipe today Jim (let's see if that jogs anyone's memory).

NB

Memory?

Nah! I'm far to Young for that ;)

G

Young?

I thought your name was Geoff?

Or could it be Raymondo?

I can see I'll have to keep my eye on you...

NB

I hope

Angharad's picture

this doesn't mean you're going to sing Nick!

Angharad

Angharad

So what if I do?

You don't want to hear me sing.

I went for an audition once where they said that some of the notes I hit were okay.

Nuff said.

Anyway, if I did, how would you know?

NB

Go on, Nick…

…give us your rendition of The man From Laramee.

I'm sure you're Young enough, Jimmy—I mean, Nick!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

The man from where?

I don't think I've heard that one (fortunately - for both of us I think).

I think I have more in common with Lemmy from Motorhead than Jimmy Young. He can't sing either!

NB

JY made a record…

…of The Man from Laramie in 1955; it was on the Decca label. Have a look at:–

homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricsy/youngj.html - 5k -

Actually he had quite a reasonable voice voice

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I don't care

I'm not bloody singing it and that's that.

I suppose ...

... you're 'Too Young' to care.

When I stopped singing they found out what was wrong with the choir. I was declared a 'growler' and forbidden to sing at all, which suited me fine.

At first I thought the Jim you were referring to was Jimmy Saville (known as Oscar to cyclists) because he was a racing cyclist and actually rode the Tour of Britain back in the dark ages ... but I was wrong :)

Do you think some readers will be wondering just what the hell we're all on about?

G

What we're on about

I think mostly yes.

There is one. She wanted me to sing my own rendition of the man from laramie - apparently done by the said Mr. Young back in the days when recording equipment consisted of a lump of four-be-two with a nail in the end.

I love singing, but I don't think I could ever make it out of the shower or in the car with the windows rolled up. If you saw Men in Trees the week before last, there was a karaoke session. Well I can actually sing better than he did...

It's not saying much, but I'm not the worst you've heard!

NB

Jimmy Young was on Radio 2

Angharad's picture

from 10 till twelve weekdays. I only got to hear it when visiting patient's homes. Couldn't really stand him or his show, especially when he was brown nosing Mad Maggie. He started off as a crooner. He died last year I think.

Sir Jimmy Savile, still cycles, dunno if he does triathlons and so forth these days, but he was on radio 1 and telly. He was also on Radio Caroline about a million years ago. He started off as a miner.

Angharad

Angharad

I do hope

...that was for the benefit of the others.

I knew that, just didn't want to admit I was as old as $%^@@something...

did the notes recover

Angharad's picture

after you hit 'em Nick?

Angharad

Angharad

Oooooh!

I stamp my foot in a petulant frenzy.

Perhaps they did, but I don't think the same could be said for the band's earholes.

Wasn't my fault. I think the drummer got off lightly, but that was only because he was making marginally more noise than I was!

I stick to drums and guitar now.

I DID buy a mic and stand when I was in my last band, but I still managed to avoid opening my gob for any musical orientated reasons.

NB

Cathy needs to get advice

Cathy needs professional advice. As in now. Doing the interview without help is a really bad move I'm thinking.

Uh-Oh

Good thing the next chapter is link click away.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

c'mon 4500 hits 43 comments

I knew it was too good to be true.
So, Sarah and Simon at work at 5: 30 ?
This kid tosses more then she cry's
How will Cath get out of this? I though Lord Cameron had 2 statements ready to go?

Cefin

The Read count

I'm fascinated by the way the read count for each episode varies so much. One episode might have over 5000 reads, the next only 4231 (or whatever) then it's back over 5000. I'd understand if it was dropping or increasing slowly, but why the large leaps?

And I'll still be adding to the Reads for the next 2500 episodes at least!

Love, Bev xx