Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 111

Printer-friendly version

However a nurse came in and coughed politely, "Sorry to interrupt, but no sex until after I've done your blood pressure."

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 111.

Stella and I had nodded off to sleep when the nurse came in to tell us that Simon was out of theatre. I jumped out of the chair, for a moment not aware of where I was. Stella lazily opened her eyes and yawned.

"Well ladies, Simon is out of theatre and is asleep."

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked a split second before Stella could.

"Yes, he's going to live, the surgeon will be along in a moment to see you, he'll explain what he's done." She left.

"There's a coffee machine down the corridor, I'll go and get us a drink." Stella picked up her purse and went off. I sat yawning and trying to make sense of what had happened. It didn't make any, no matter how I tried, Simon still got shot and I didn't know why.

"Here," Stella handed me a styrene cup full of steaming grey brown liquid, not entirely the most enticing drink I've ever had, but it certainly helped me to wake up.

With impeccable timing, a thirty something black man came in wearing scrubs. "Hi, I'm Alex Rogers, I've just finished operating on Mr erm Lord Stanebury, is that right, a genuine aristocrat?"

"Fraid so," said Stella, "I'm his sister Stella and this is his fiancee Cathy." She gave me a strange look as she spoke and I said nothing nor reacted in any way other than to shake the surgeons huge hands. Hands which had been touching my Simon only minutes before.

"How is he Mr Rogers?"

"He's okay. I guess something else stopped most of the buckshot, he had several in his arms, the left one is broken by the way. He'd also bitten his tongue and has a concussion."

"But I saw lots of blood," I exclaimed.

"Yeah, he was a bit peppered in the chest, half a dozen shots, enough to damage his coat and allow seepage, and one of the veins in his arm was nicked, but it stopped by itself. I've tied him all back together and he's gonna need to stay in hospital for a few days, the shock of the shot cracked his sternum, so he is gonna be mighty sore for some little time and have quite a headache."

"So he's going to be all right then?" I gasped.

"Sure is unless your cooking gets him next time."

"Who told you about my cooking?" I said laughing, tears streaming down my face, my laughter only a degree below hysterical.

"None of you gentry can cook, we slaves used to do it all for you." He winked at us as he spoke, and I hoped it was a joke rather than a political crack.

"We're just poor working girls," interjected Stella, "I'm a poor nurse and Cathy is a student."

"What a student nurse?" he asked quizzically.

"No, a zoologist, she's doing her PhD."

"Oh!" he seemed impressed, "what on?"

"Dormice," continued Stella while I cringed, my life being exposed before me.

"Dormice? Like the Mad Hatter's Tea Party?" He said and I felt myself glazing over. Alice in Fucking Wonderland! Why is it always Alice in Wonder Fucking Land?

"That's the one." Stella smiled at him flirting gently.

"I think I might prefer White Bunny Girls," he said sexistly.

"They're an imaginary species," I challenged, "only existing in the minds of ageing American Porn Kings."

"Pity," he said shrugging his shoulders.

"Still keep in touch with Stella, she could be useful, she works in the GUM clinic!" I smiled innocently. Two could play nasty.

"Touche," he said and held his hands up in mock surrender, "One to Lady Dormouse." He looked at his watch, "Damn, I've got a clinic in three hours," he said and disappeared.

"What was that about me being his fiancee? A bit premature isn't it?"

"If I'd said you were his girlfriend he wouldn't have told you anything."

"Oh! Sorry, I didn't realise that."

"I suppose I'd better get home and get ready for work."

"You've been up most of the night!" I exclaimed.

"That's not my patient's fault is it. If I don't turn up, my colleagues all have to do extra. We're a team believe it or not."

"Yeah, I believe you, so if they want to send you home at lunchtime you go."

"I'll see."

"Will they let us see him?"

"If he's asleep, we'd only disturb him, he isn't going to die, so let's go and come back tonight."

I looked at my watch, it was half eight, I needed to get home and wash and change for my exam. Oh hell, I am so tired. "I've got his car, what about that?"

"Can you follow me back and I'll shower and change and run you back to your place. I'm going to be late, but they'll have to cope for an hour."

I agreed and went back in the Saab to the cottage. While Stella showered I made us some tea and some toast, Stella hugged me in thanks.

I was home by nine forty five, and in the shower minutes later. The shower revived me a little and I drank a strong coffee. I was going to cycle in, like I used to do, then decided against it. I wore the denim skirt and jacket with a vee necked white top and the bra boosters. Some makeup and my boots, what would I do without them, my bag and keys plus my research notes and data, and after a quick sqirt of something nicer smelling than a cyclist's shorts and I was off to my ordeal.

I hadn't said anything about my experience the night before but they all seemed to know about it. "How is Simon asked my prof?"

"How do you know about that?"

"Was on the radio this morning."

"What was?"

"A shooting accident in the forest, a dormouse researcher was hurt, he was said to be comfortable in hospital. Couldn't be you, so it had to be Simon, as you said he was going with you."

"Oh!" Was all I could say.

"It also suggested that the police were questioning two men about it."

"No one told me about that," I grumbled.

"So did you get any sleep?"

"I can't remember."

"That bad eh?"

"Yes," I felt myself tear up and it was only by dint of not wanting to look a helpless female at the exam, that I managed to control myself.

"Good luck, they know about last night so they'll be easy on you.I've told them nothing more than thumb screws. Then you can get off to bed for a few hours. I hope you're still on for tonight?"

"I don't know Prof, I want to see Simon."

"Well visiting is over by eight, so see you at the restaurant at eight thirty."

"I don't know," I didn't really feel like going out to dinner.

"Right that's settled. Go on over and wait, they'll call you in when they're ready."

I had about half an hour's wait, I felt in a very strange space, I was light headed yet could feel adrenalin kicking in every now and again. I knew that once it was over and I got home I would zonk into a semi coma.

My name was called and I picked up my bag and my data, "Here goes...." I said to myself, feeling like a Christian about to face the lions, except I wasn't. I was a female gladiator going to slay my opponent unless the emperor spared him. "My name is Maxima, Decima Meridia...." I whispered to myself improvising on the Ridley Scott film.

An hour later, three examiners were shaking my hand and saying, "Congratulations Miss Watts, an excellent piece of research," I walked out in a daze, the silly buggers had given me a distinction for counting bloody dormice! Oh well, home and sleep.

I drove home with a mantra of, "Stay awake until you get to bed." I think I managed it, because I awoke at three in the afternoon when the alarm went off. I'd agreed that Stella could go first to see Simon, then she could go home. I would go at four and stay until they threw me out about eight. Then dinner with the nutty professor, oh boy what it is to be a glamorous scientist! Ha ha!

I did dress up a bit, I wore a nice patterned skirt and matching blouse in a blue and pink pattern. No it wasn't one I bought to show a balance of sexuality, it was a Stella cast off and one from another Stella, the Beatle's kid dress designer. I didn't even think what it must have cost, I wondered if the estate was mortgaged to pay for her spending habits, then recalled that they each earned their own money. Simon was obviously good at his job, not just the bosses' kid.

My denim jacket did again, and grabbing my bag I went off to the hospital, managing to get a Finacial Times and a fishing magazine for Simon. I didn't know if he'd want to read or not, but they were less cliched than a bunch of grapes. Inside the bag, was a small bottle of Johnny Walker Black label. Well if my dad could have brandy, why couldn't Si have a nip of something too?

I found out the ward he was on without too much difficulty, and listened embarrassed as my heels clattered down the corridors. Finally, I found the ward and his bed was in a side room on his own. Was that preferential treatment or for his protection or what? But it would make his having a nip, a little easier.

I entered the room and he was asleep, his left arm in plaster and bruising about his face. I felt my eyes water, it was so painful watching this man I loved so much, injured because of me. I still felt guilty and needed his forgiveness more than anything else.

I sat at the foot of his bed and rested my head on my arm waiting for him to wake. He did, and before I did!

"Hi Sweetheart," I heard said from afar. "Wakey wakey!" Someone was talking to me, aargh!

I sat bolt upright and nearly fell out of the plastic chair. "Erm, hi," I managed to utter, I think, my way with words was overpowering some days.

"You look lovely when you're asleep," he said and I blushed, I also yawned and had to apologise. "Don't I get a kiss then?"

I apologised and pecked his cheek, he gave me a forlorn look and I kissed his lips, gently, he looked too frail for anything much and I did remember he'd hurt his tongue.

I put my arms around him and hugged him as tenderly as I would a new born, "I love you," I said before nearly drowning him in tears.

"Hey what's up, why the weeping, I am gonna live aren't I?"

"Of course," I said laughing.

"Oh good, I wondered if there was something I didn't know for a minute."

"No, you'll live," I confirmed.

"So why the tears?"

"I am so sorry," I said and began crying again.

"Why, what have you done?" he paused, "No not the Saab?"

"The car is okay," I said but was unable to stop the flood running down my cheeks.

"What have you done then?"

"It's my fault, you're in here, I am so sorry."

"Don't be so silly, I didn't get food-poisoning from the roll, I got shot remember?"

"I know," I said laughing at his joke, but still crying.

"Give me another hug you silly goose," he said, and I complied with his wishes, "Now, gi's a kiss and I absolve you of all blame." My lips caressed his, and despite my wet face, I felt wonderful and would have gladly held the moment forever.

However, a nurse came in and coughed politely, "Sorry to interrupt, but no sex until after I've done your blood pressure."

We both laughed embarrassedly, then Simon retorted, "You didn't give me sex the last time you took it, can I complain?"

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sex & blood pressure

I want to make a complaint also, I've had my BP taken dozens of times just in the last month, and got no sex at all! Not once!

At least you didn't kill him, Angharad! Now we want to know WHY! Why he was shot, that is; not why you didn't kill him.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Poor Cathy

It looks like she'll have to guys to look after for a while.Amy

On the edge

You had me on the edge of my seat all day waiting for news about what's was going on with Simon! He's okay but now of course we're wondering what's up with the two guys the police is questioning. Wonderful story!
hugs!
grover

Who Shot Simon?

Great chapter dear.

OK, who did shoot Simon? Was he the one they were really after or where they after Cathy? It had to be someone from the college, for they knew she was going to be out here, they just didn't know that she was going with someone else for a change. I think who ever was leaving the messages, was the person who was going after her. They just aimed at the wrong person. I think the two guys they questioned were just wondering who shot the gun this late and probably saw the perp running away.

Good Job on your MYSTERY Angharad as usual.

Who shot Simon?

Well at least Simon is many times more likable than J.R. Ewing! Please don't let this be a cliffhanger like that show was!
Hugs!
grover

Theories

I've had 'em since the first note in the mailbox. They're not nice ones, and I won't share them publicly here... but if anyone wants to know where my devious little mind is going, PM me.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

200/150

I'm starting to think like you, and one of us should be worried. Simon's fine, Cathy blew the panel away, now the only worrisome thing is Simon's BP.200/150. Oh, God asteroid strike, labor strike, Lucky Strike(we used to call cigarettes fags, no offence to anyone) Isn't a wonder how meanings change? Go ahead, Angharad, do your damnedest. Hey, is a Seven Axiom a good bike?

Cefin