Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 122

Printer-friendly version

Cathy learns a bit about the professor.... read on and see exactly what?

Easy As Falling Asleep.
by wossername with the bad back,
part fiction part rubbish.

I showed Suzy the captive breeding programme, she was suitably impressed. I was nominally in charge but the work was done by two of our technicians, Neal and Tina. Eventually she went off to see the professor and I sat at my desk looking at the damaged fieldwork equipment again.

It was astonishing that Simon hadn't been more injured, I shuddered when I thought about it. If he'd been killed I really don't know how my sanity would have survived. At times now I thought it was borderline bonkers, a new clinical term possibly not yet recognised by Dr Thomas and her colleagues or the DSM iv.

I had an appointment to see Prof Agnew myself soon, so I needed to keep my spirits up and not get too maudlin about what could have happened, it didn't. I also wanted to see Simon and perhaps dash up to Bristol to see Daddy.

I didn't understand why I was calling him that, it was almost a regression to childhood. He didn't seem to mind and part of me liked it. My mind drifted back to the funeral and his presentation to me of my doll 'Josephine'. He'd taken her from me when I was seven or eight years old and told me he had smashed her and thrown her in the trash.

I could still recall that day, I cried for hours, helped by the fact that he gave me a hiding for calling him a 'cruel man'. I hated him for weeks after that, I wouldn't go near him. Giving my doll back mended a few bridges but there were still so many to fix. I took heart from the fact that my mum had stopped him smashing it up, and that he could have done it covertly years later. I wouldn't have been any the wiser and I suspect Mum wouldn't have been either.

What puzzled me was why she had stopped him? Nowadays, most parents would be less brutal, but fifteen years ago, I suspect many would have dumped a doll if their son was playing with it, especially if he'd swapped a football for it. He also dominated her so much, so why did she stop him? If it was my son, I'd be watching to see if any other girlish inclinations happened and get some advice. Then it was seen as taboo, he could be gay! Arrgh!

How pathetic, and now macho man was dependent upon his effeminate offspring, tough! Life has ways of equalising things at times, or in this case, it did.

"Cath old girl," called Neal.

I awoke from my reverie, "Erm, yes Neal."

"Prof is waiting for you," he was holding a phone which he'd obviously just answered.

"Oh!" I gasped and ran off towards his office.

"Just made it girl," said Mrs Miller, "I was just about to move next business."

"Sorry, I was engrossed in something, forgot the time."

"Go on in."

I tapped on the door and went through. "Ah, Miss Dormouse, what can I do for you?" He glanced at his watch, "Damn, it's lunchtime, can we do this over the pub?"

"It's a bit personal and involves the police," I said very quietly and felt myself getting hotter.

"Police, not the fieldwork business? Oh God, your young man isn't worse is he?"

"No Prof, it's something different. For the last couple of weeks I've been getting some poison pen letters, remember I mentioned them last week."

"Bloody cowards!" he almost spat in disgust, "Do we know who is writing them yet?"

"No, but the last one seemed more threatening and I took them to the police." I explained about the messages and how they had put the last one on my car. I watched him get angrier and angrier, controlling himself until I finished my saga.

"If this proves to have come from anyone associated with this university, then I will do all in my power to see they pay the full penalty, including revoking degrees. We'll also cooperate in any police investigation, and I am pretty sure that goes for the rest of the university. I shall speak to Dr Andrews at our next meeting.

"I'm sorry always to be the bearer of bad news," I hung my head in shame.

"Oh Cathy, you aren't you silly girl, you're a delight to have a round the place, ask Mary if you don't believe me."

"I don't know Prof, I almost feel like it would be easier if I disappeared."

"What do you mean?"

"Well left and went to look after my dad."

"What, and let those cowardly bastards win? That doesn't sound like the Cathy Watts I heard was brawling in the street the other day because someone attacked her boyfriend. She's a fighter!"

I went a lovely shade of crimson, "Oh, I didn't think anyone got to hear about that...."

"Nor dealing with two bumpkins with the aid of a mountain bike."

"Oh," the crimson got brighter.

"Maybe you should do a paper on the mountain bike as a weapon of defence?"

I felt tears run down my nose and drip onto the carpet I was so busy trying to outstare. If you looked at the pattern for a few moments you could see all sorts of shapes in it, including baleful eyes. They were winning the staring game, I was leading in the crying one.

"Good gracious girl, don't cry, you'll shrink me carpet!" He walked over and threw his arm around me and hugged me. "Don't let them win, your future is so bright, keep the light shining. Remember there will be others who come after you, who will benefit from your courage and pioneering spirit."

"Thanks, Professor, you're always so kind to me, I don't know how to thank you."

"There are three things you could do," I stood with red runny eyes and nodded at him waiting for him to pronounce, "firstly, stand and fight. Secondly, come to dinner with me on Friday," I snorted at that, I knew that would be a condition, it always was. "Finally, do the pics for the leaflet, show them two fingers. It would be the best way to show them where to stick their silly bits of paper."

"What if they went to the press?"

"So what, we'd support you all the way to suing them."

"You can only sue if they libel you, they wouldn't need to do that to get a strong story, you know like, 'The girl on the leaflet isn't a girl', or some such similar thing."

"It would be a storm in a teacup and besides the university legal department might even be able to squash it."

"I doubt it, there is no closed season on transsexuals."

"I think things are changing, and remember we all scratch each other's backs these days. So if we get some lead story for them, they are invited to exclusives. If they get some dirt on us, unless it is about something illegal, they talk to us first."

"That's the local rag, what about the national tabloids, The Sun or News Of The World, they don't have arrangements with you?"

"True, but neither do they have the clout for local news. Besides, you could always go on the offensive."

"What do you mean Professor?"

"Tell 'em first. Secrets are only powerful if they are secret. I mean the rumours are spreading around the campus at a steady rate. If we did an interview with the local rag, we could steal much of their thunder."

"Oh God," I gasped and diving across his study threw up in his waste basket.

"I take it you don't fancy that then?"

I vomited again.

"Mary, can you came in for a minute?" I heard him call into his intercom.

She took over, dismissing the professor who fled to the pub. Pushing the offending waste bin outside the door she sent for one of the cleaners to sort it. She had also sat me in one of the armchairs and held a glass of water to me.

"Okay, I take it you don't have a bug of some sort?"

I shook my head, weeping with shame.

"And you aren't pregnant?"

I snorted at that.

"So he's upset you? Not his new aftershave, 'Hint of Badger' or something like that."

I snorted with laughter this time and shook my head. Wiping the mess off my face, I sighed and sipped the water. Then I explained to her what I had told the professor. Then I told her what he had suggested.

"You know he wants you to do the leaflets, don't you?"

"Yes, but why?"

"Because you're very pretty and actually studying at the university. He thinks it will encourage women to take up science courses."

"But would it, not if they did a story on me, would it?"

"The leaflets would be around for several years, the news story would be a five-minute wonder."

"I'd rather not."

"I know luvvy, and I understand, but let's face it the dormice have to be the most photogenic animal we study here, and you are the most photogenic researcher, so they seem to go together."

"Why don't they ask Tina? She's quite pretty and is involved with the dormice."

"She isn't leading the project, you are. You'll be in the media anyway."

"What?" I shuddered, "Why?"

"Because the project is news, they'll talk to all the lead researchers and I'm willing to bet you'll be the one they want to photograph."

"Why, is my changeover that obvious?" I began to doubt everything I thought I had achieved.

"No, you silly girl, because you are the prettiest as well as the cleverest one on the team."

"Don't be silly, I'm not very clever."

"You have a first from Sussex, a master's with distinction from us and are heading for a doctoral degree with us. Prof Agnew wants you on the staff here so badly, he's wondering who he can shoot to make space. I didn't tell you that mind," she winked at me.

"Why? I'm a liability, everyone around me gets hurt, trouble seems to follow me like I'm some sort of magnet."

"You are the nicest post-grad we have, he's been trying for funding for you to do some teaching here to help with your financial position. You don't know this because it's all on the QT, okay? And I didn't tell you any of this. He has big plans for this department and you feature in them quite significantly, especially as he's lost Suzy to Havard."

"I don't understand," I said, tears running down my face, "why is he being so good to me?"

"Because you remind him of his daughter. That's why he likes the women to go to his dinners. He isn't a dirty old man, he's coping with the death of his daughter in the way he feels is best for him."

"What happened to her?" this was all news to me.

"She was doing a PhD at Oxford, Anglo Saxon or something, and she was killed by a drunk driver on the motorway. Head-on crash, killed instantly, he was driving a coach and survived. Died from cirrhosis about five years ago."

"When did this happen?" I asked, it was all news to me.

"Twenty years ago."

"Goodness." I sat dumbfounded by this news.

"One of the reasons he likes you so much is that you remind him of her."

"In what way?"

"You look quite like her, colouring and build, you're vivacious, so was she."

"Goodness, no one has ever described me as vivacious before."

"Her name was Catherine, too."

"Oh my God!" I exclaimed and swooned in the chair.

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike

Angharad,
Great chapter and I think the Prof. would make a much better father figure for Cathy than Dad ever could. However I do recall reading that you needed to rest more and not push yourself did I not?

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Falling

Geez Angharad, you did it again. You come up with the darndest twists.

Oh sure just a sweet little story to just make everyone feel good, and here you come with an over 100 chapter epic.

Way to go girl, keep up the good work.

Hugs
Joni

I have every sympathy with the prof.

I once had a very clever young woman working for me. She was dear to me for several very honourable reasons. First she was clever (a lot cleverer than I), secondly, we shared a birthday, and thirdly she was exactly the age our daughter would have been had we started a family when we first married. (We had no children - from choice. There's too many people already and we saw no reason to add another mouth). However Anne appealed to a latent paternal instinct, perhaps. So Professor Agnew's empathy with his female colleagues is quite understandable - at least to me.

Angharad, I'm sure you read the excellent article in G2 today (you mention being a Guardian reader) concerning the new figure forming/controlling Lycra underwear. Now how about that to ease your back? You get a new slimline figure at the same time, too. Can it really be true that corsets and girdles are coming back in fashion. What a boost for bondage enthusiasts!

Cathy gets more girly every episode. First she gets tipsy on a thimble full of red wine and now she's swooning! Whatever next? Will smelling salts be making a comeback to join the new restraining, figure controlling underwear in a new Victorian age? Devoted readers need to know.

Thanks for keeping your fans at bay. Take care.

Geoff

Swooning, salts, and corsets

In case you didn't know, Geoff, all that swooning was caused by the corsets restricting the respiration of the wearer. So if you get the corsets, then you get the swooning and the smelling salts hand in hand!

It's hard to believe this is being written by the woman who was afraid to post a story on BC as it seemed too complicated. Now she's making a run on her second dozen dozen chapters of this little pot stirrer! Thanks hon!

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Medicine

they say laughter is the best medicine. So I hope you've had laughs while writing, as much as I got from reading this last chapter, -hopefully more- for I reckon it'd be good for healing you.
Is it that since you've got your back operated on, you're bending us backwards in following the twists and turns in your plotting? Wouldn't want to miss it though. Excellent chapter again.

Thank you

Jo-Anne

Beans on the floor

I mentioned back when the letters were being discussed that I had a suspicion. I believe I'll make it public now :)

If the author of the letters isn't Agnew, it's his secretary.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Ooo Boy!

Wow. The reason why the Professor goes out of the way for Cathy! Auntie, I do hope the Professor can keep his comments and hands at a professional level - unlike how he did at the party. I just worry for Cathy all the time.

hugs
 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Dan Dan Daaaaaaan!

As the plot thickens, becoming something of a pants gripper, we have to wonder how she does it.

"I wasn't sitting down!" she exclaimed. Raised eyebrows all round as no-one really believes her. "And I AM getting better."

We'll have to take her word for it, but I have to add that I'm really pleased that she's breaking the rules and just hope that it's not to her detriment.

Continue getting well Angharad

Hugs

Nick

Ponderous

HIhi,
Been catching up and enjoying the story very much. I to remember a coment about you needing a spot of R&R, so don't over stress yourself. :)
Get well soon...

Huggles,
Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

Twists

Good twists, bad twists, just twisty twists.

Makes it hard to keep up it does.

Doof doofs

What a way to cap off this wonderful heart to heart episode.

"Her name was Catherine, too."

I can hear the Eastenders doof doofs.. Roll credits!

They obviously failed to

They obviously failed to remove your sense of humor. I love it. Hey you spelled Harvard the way I say it, Havard ,Baaston
Boy, she throws up a lot, doesn't she. and usually on a 500quid dress
Keep 'em coming. Hey you do know, after Dunkirk, there wasn't enough rifles and pistols to arm the Home Guard sooo us Yanks sent over thousands of our personal weapons to arm them.
Cefin