Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 190

Printer-friendly version

I was in the kitchen making some tea, I badly needed a cup of its life giving waters. I took us out a tray of tea. We sat in the lounge, Tom and Stella jabbering away and me trying to calm down after the afternoon's trauma. I closed my eyes and what seemed like minutes later opened them, it was dark

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Angharad,
part:190

"I can carry my own bag." Insisted Stella ripping it out of my hands.

The words of the ward sister were echoing in my head, "Please don't let her relapse, my nerves won't stand it." Here we were outside the ward fighting over her bag.

"Stella, you have been really ill."

"Yeah, well I'm better now."

"You lost pints of blood."

"Yeah, well they topped me up, so I'm okay."

"You had surgery to stop a haemorrhage."

"That was then, I'm fine I tell you."

"Stella, I have just brought someone here is who is very much sicker than I thought. He is dying, I am really not in the mood to fight with you."

"What have I got to do to prove I am well, race you to the car?"

"No you stay here, I'll go and get the car."

"In which case, I'll come with you."

"No you won't Stella."

"Don't tell me what to do."

Very quietly I said, "I am going to get the car. You are staying put. I have had a bad day and am going to kill the next person who upsets me."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

I walked away my temper was up to my scalp and I was fit to burst. She doesn't usually play up like this, whose blood did they use - mine?

By the time I was sat in the car, I wanted to burst into tears. Now I had agreed to go to Bristol and tell Stevie's parents. Oh what joy! What was wrong with me, why can't I say no? But then how can I refuse a dying boy's wish?

I started up the car and went to collect Stella. She was silent all the way back to Tom's. She tapped her foot in time to the music I was playing, but no other sound was made by either of us. Had I upset her or was she playing safe and not risking provoking me. I didn't know and didn't have the energy to care enough to ask her.

I parked up and we went in. Tom was there. He hugged Stella and asked how she was.

"I'm fine, a bit tired but okay. I have to take two weeks off."

"Well if you get bored you can help Cathy and me with our project."

"Can I let you know on that Tom?"

"Of course you can."

I was in the kitchen making some tea, I badly needed a cup of its life giving waters. I took us out a tray of tea. We sat in the lounge, Tom and Stella jabbering away and me trying to calm down after the afternoon's trauma. I closed my eyes and what seemed like minutes later opened them, it was dark

Tom walked in with a cup of tea. "Hello sleepyhead."

"Oh, erm, what time is it?" I asked.

"A quarter to seven."

"What, I've been asleep for two hours?"

"Yes, you looked dead beat when you got in."

"Maybe I was then. Where's Stella?"

"Lying on her bed. The new mattress arrived and I've put it on her bed."

"Thanks Tom," I accepted the tea and the mattress with the same acknowledgement.

"What happened at the hospital?"

"This is confidential, okay?"

"I'll be the judge of that if it concerns one of my students." Tom asserted himself and I was too tired to argue.

"You took Steven Naylor to the hospital, what happened?"

"He's got AIDS, full blown syndrome with a possible liver tumour."

"Okay, I'll see what charitable concession I can wring out of the Dean's paws."

I looked as if I was confused, which was just how I felt.

"We have some hardship funds, I'll see if I can squeeze some money out of one of them, make things easier if we can."

"That's lovely Tom. I have to go and see his landlord and see if I can get him a change of PJs and take his toiletries in."

"When?"

"Now. Can you watch Stella doesn't go to any mad parties?"

"What about sane ones?"

"She's safe there, no sane person would invite her."

"Hey, that's your future sister in law you're talking about."

"Yes, so I know what I'm saying."

"Don't you want me to come with you?"

"Thanks for the offer, but I'll be okay. I'll be back as soon as I can, want me to bring in something?"

"Nah, I'll order some pizzas."

"Okay, don't save any for me, I don't particularly like them."

"Okay, your loss."

"Tom you don't fancy a trip to Bristol tomorrow, do you?"

"Why is your dad playing up?"

"No, I agreed to tell Stevie's homophobic parents that he's dying of Aids."

"Oh shit! That's not your job surely?"

"He asked me to do it."

"Is that wise given the publicity in Bristol about you?"

"Dunno, but your company would be appreciated."

"Who's going to babysit her ladyship?"

"I asked Pippa, told her I'd pay her."

"I'll go halves on that bill."

"You don't need to."

"I know what I have and haven't got to do, and this comes in the
first category."

"You're a nice man Tom Agnew." I threw my arms around him and hugged him.

"Hey what happened to the nutty professor you told Pippa about?"

"Me, nah, that must have been my evil twin sister?"

He laughed but held me until I let go of him. He had a slightly musty odour about him, as if he didn't wash often enough or change his clothes, both of which I knew were false I did his laundry and saw him shower regularly. Do older men smell a little? I'd always assumed it was of stale wee, if they did. This was definitely not that.

I drove to the address I'd got from the Stevie and spoke with his landlady. She was horrified to hear he was very poorly, but told me she was worried he'd looked so thin for the past week.

"They think it might be something with his liver, but I don't have any other details to give you."

"That's okay, I'll go and see him, such a nice young man not out chasing girls or drink and drugs."

"No," I agreed.

She took me to his room and we sorted some clothes for him and his toothbrush and toiletries. I thanked her and went to the hospital.

I parked and took his stuff up to the ward, I had to ask which one and they looked it up on the computer. He was fast asleep, when I arrived and rather than wake him I left his stuff with a nurse and asked her to tell him I'd been in. He looked very young and vulnerable, more like a child than a young man. I had to leave it was upsetting me.

I called by the shop I'd used from my rooms. Raj and his wife were pleased to see me and made me stop and have a cuppa with them. I bought some wholemeal rolls and cheese from them and went back to Tom's.

"Tom has been telling me about your afternoon, I'm sorry I played up."

"It's okay Stella, but I'm so tired all I want to do is go to bed."

"Aren't you going to eat something?"

"I'm not hungry but I am shattered."

She hugged me, "Thank you for saving my life."

"I need someone to advise me on clothes when I get married."

"Ah, I knew you had a hidden agenda."

"That's me," I said yawning, "right now it's to get some sleep."

"Tom said you were going to Bristol tomorrow."

"Tom has a big gob at times."

"This boy has AIDS right?" I nodded, "I've nursed people with AIDS, I might be able to help."

"It's a long drive, you'd be better off resting."

"I can rest on the way up and back."

"That isn't the same."

"Who's the health professional here?"

"There isn't one, you're on sick leave."

"Damn!"

"We can talk about it tomorrow, but I'm not saying yes now."

"Alright, I might change my mind just to spite you."

"Feel free, I'm going to bed. Goodnight. Goodnight Tom," I called and he answered from his study.

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

When you have friends

A burden shared is a burden divided. Karma really does repay, neither had to offer to help Cathy with her self-assumed task, but both did. They both deserve big hugs. I hope she takes one or the both of them with her, she'll need a friend close by.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nah

It's a case of a burden shared is just two people with the same burden.

I don't envy her for what she has to do. I had to break that kind of news twice and I wasn't any good either time.

NB

A wee bit of stress...

... So, Stella CAN take a hint, if it hits her hard enough. Amaizing what hides under some folks "tough" exteriors. Sounds like Cathy may have an ARMY going along with her to Bristol... Is her car big enough. :-)

Calling General Cathy

Cathy now can show just how good of a leader that she is. She has Stella and the Professor volunteering to help her with the very difficult task ahead of her. That simply proves that she inspires trust in others. That and her selfless personality has endeared her to us.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I can sympathize with

I can sympathize with Cathy's position about going to Bristol to tell the parents about their son. Giving bad news to someone you don't know is definitely a worst case issue. Had to do it on several occassions as a Law Enforcement Officer (now retired)and believe me it was not fun. Cathy should take Stella's offer if she has dealt with AIDS victims previously, this would a smart move on her part along with having the Professor along.
J-Lynn

Nice Interplay ...

... beween Cathy and Stella. Lots of caring. You're really good at that.

marie c.

marie c.

Yes,

Angharad is. I hope his parents don't go postal or stupid. There isn't a lot of time left, if they decide to shun their son it will be a mistake they will regret for the rest of their lives.

"A little help from my friends"

I knew there was a reason Cathy's dad had a big Ford, room to bring help with breaking BAD news to Stevie's parents, including a father who thinks like her father did.
Incredibly difficult news to give to people you know, let alone strangers.
What a woman ! If she breaks up with Simon, There will be a line 10 miles long to woo her.

Cefin