Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 184

Printer-friendly version

'How can these effeminate men call themselves women, let alone Lady Muck? (It's a male dominated system anyway which grants titles for marrying men!). No matter what pills, potions or surgery they have, they'll just be eunuchs with tits! Sista Eileen, Real Active Wimyn.'

Easy As falling Off A Bike
by Angharad
part 184.

I went to bed with the events of the day buzzing around inside my head, it didn't make for easy sleeping despite the poor night before. Exhaustion eventually took over and I did sleep, but I was concerned about what was going on.

Tom had kept copies of papers which had mentioned the stories of my personal circumstances. I had looked on the internet and there were arguments about, 'How can someone who was born a male become a lady?' With a response that, 'Under non-discrimination laws, it was perfectly possible.'

Some of the comments were reasonable and well thought out, others were dreadful and full of prejudice. Rants rather than arguments. Some were from 'wimyn' who sounded like feminist activists, and they sparked answers from other women, one presumes, who argued it was wrong to judge others.

'How can these effeminate men call themselves women, let alone Lady Muck? (It's a male dominated system anyway which grants titles for marrying men!). No matter what pills, potions or surgery they have, they'll just be eunuchs with tits! Sista Eileen, Real Active Wimyn.'

'How can you be so sure who is what, such certainty is surely borne of a juvenile regard for black and white views on a grey subject. I don't have a problem seeing these people as female any more than I do you. Fundamentalism is standing so close to the bark, that you can't see the trees for the tree. Karen X, just an ordinary woman.'

'So if I don't want to work no more, all I need to do is get my d*ck cut off and marry a arsticrot? Sounds good 2 me. Gotta pay better than benifits. Darren 'won't work.'

'I think it takes more than that that Darren, besides if you did that your one hand would get no exercise at all! ;) Odd sod.'

'If you go through with this sex change Bill, you'll be no son of mine! Heehaw.'

'A friend of mine went through all the assessment and surgery to change her sex. She was attacked and raped by a gang of teenage thugs. She killed herself three months later. It's not transexuals who need condemning, it's those little bastards who roam around in gangs wearing hooded jackets. Too ashamed to show their ugly faces to the world. Scum bags! A Bereft Friend.'

'Shoot the bloody lot of them, bloody perverts! Sergeant Major.'

'I find your proclivity to violence more frightening than going on a date with someone who's a had a sex change! Chancer.'

And so on and so on. I saw there were ninety four responses. Do normal people visit the internet? Possibly not. I also assumed anyone who called themselves 'Sergeant Major' had probably never been closer to the army than watching Trooping of the Colour on TV.

Maybe the one which upset the most was that of the radical feminist. I'm a feminist in wanting better pay and conditions for women, and for supporting things like creches and child facilities. However, I'm also in favour of enabling men to become more family oriented too.

Most GID sufferers are accused of having very stereotypical gender roles. In some ways I do, in others I don't. Fiddling with bikes is hardly a femmy thing to do, but spoiling someone by nurturing them isn't very butch either. I'm just me, confused of Portsmouth.

I pulled myself out of bed when I heard Tom moving around, my eyeballs felt like they'd fallen in the sugar bowl or sand pit. I had got some sleep, but not as much as I'd liked to have had.

I showered, not because I was dirty but because I was trying to wake myself up. I dressed in jeans and a tee shirt and went down to see if Stella was up. She wasn't. I made her some coffee and went up to her bedroom.

I knocked and walked in, she was still asleep although something didn't feel right, and she looked very pale. I drew the curtains, she didn't move, and she did look pale. I felt her, she was cold and clammy and her pulse was racing - oh shit she was in shock.

"Stella," I called trying to wake her. She was unresponsive.

I pulled back the bedclothes and there was a pool of blood soaking into her nightdress and the sheets.

I ran screaming for Tom, "Call an ambulance now, she's haemorrhaging badly."

"What?" shouted Tom.

"Call an ambulance she is dying from blood loss, hurry."

He was running up the stairs and dialling 999 as he ran, he handed me the phone.

"Hello emergency, which service do you require?"

"Ambulance, quickly please my friend is bleeding to death."

"What's happening?"

"She had a termination yesterday and is haemorrhaging badly, she's unconscious in shock."

"An ambulance is on it's way, where are you?"

I gave them the address and directions, my name and anything else they wanted, I just wanted them here as quickly as possible.

"Stella, hang in there kiddo, you're gonna make it, the cavalry are on the way, just hang in there!" I was crying as I spoke to her, squeezing her hand and rubbing her forehead.

"Don't give in Stella, come on you're matron of honour at my wedding, how am I going to plan it without your help. How is Simon going tie his shoes, come one girl, hang on in there."

A siren sounded in the distance, Tom ran downstairs to let them in.

Moments later two breathless paramedics and a stretcher were entering the room, I drew back the bedclothes and showed the blood loss. The senior paramedic shook his head, but set up a drip on each arm. Then the four of us manhandled her onto the stretcher and somehow got her downstairs. I jumped in the back of the ambulance, grabbing my coat and bag en route.

They fixed her up to various monitors which showed she was in real trouble. Then telling me to hang on tight, his mate put his foot down and with sirens wailing we hammered through the streets of Portsmouth at goodness knows what speed.

Her blood pressure was so low, but it was stabilising with the drips, I kept talking to her, telling her keep going, that she was going to be alright, just to hang on. The paramedic in the back with me kept monitoring and shaking his head.

I refused to believe this could happen, I was crying and trying to be helpful. Stella didn't need negative messages, she needed hope. She was still alive, but only just.

The ambulance screamed to a stop and the two paramedics ripped open the doors and pulling the stretcher out on its wheels ran with it through the flap doors to Accident and Emergency. She was taken straight into a cubicle and with one look at her the duty doctor ordered four units of O neg blood. Even I knew it was universal donor, they would cross match and then fill her up with her regular group later.

I was led out to the office to give her details to the nurse. I couldn't help Stella now, the experts would do that, so I tried to help the experts.

"So what happened?"

"She had a termination yesterday or the day before. I picked her up from the clinic. She went to bed after a light meal last night and she was okay, I think she was when I checked on her when I went to bed, about eleven or so. I went to take her a cuppa about half seven and found her unconscious, cold and sweating. I pulled back the sheets and saw the blood, she has lost a great deal. Then I called the ambulance."

She took Stella's name and address. "This sounds familiar, she's not a nurse is she?"

"Yeah a nurse specialist in urology."

"Are you the woman who was on the TV the other night with her brother?"

"Yeah, that was me."

"Good luck, I think you're very brave."

"Erm, thanks, but right now, I'm more worried about saving my sister in law to be."

"Yeah of course, we'll do all we can. Go and have a seat in the waiting room."

"I need to call her family, can I use my mobile?"

"Can you do it outside?"

"Yeah sure."

I called Simon's mobile, his voice mail cut in. He could be anywhere. "Hi Simon, it's Cathy, Stella is critically ill in hospital, call me urgently."

Then I called her father. "Hi Henry, it's Cathy."

"Hello Cathy, to what do I attribute this pleasure."

"Stella is very ill in hospital, I just arrived with her in the ambulance."

"What happened?"

"She has haemorrhaged down below, I found her unconscious when I went to call her."

"Where is she?"

"Queen Mary."

"I'll be there as soon as I can. Have you told Simon?"

"I left him a voice mail, he's not answering his mobile."

"Okay, I'll page him. Can you stay there?"

"I'm not going anywhere until she's okay."

"Good for you girl, I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thanks Henry."

"No Catherine, it is I who should be thanking you."

"See ya soon." I blushed and rang off.

I watched doctors and nurses rushing back and fore like scalded cats. At one point three of them arrived at once, I learned later it was the 'Crash Team', she had arrested and they managed to start her again.

I was in a sort of dream, or it felt like it. I was sure I'd wake up in a moment, except I knew this was real. I was too worried and scared to do anything other than worry and pray. I thought of Marguerite and wished she were there to hold my hand and talk me through this, praying to a God I wasn't sure existed.

On a whim I phoned her. "Hello vicarage," said a female voice.

"Is that Marguerite?"

"It is, who is that?"

"It's Cathy Watts, you may remember we talked a while back."

"I saw you on TV the other night."

"I need your help."

"Why, what has happened?"

I explained through tears what had transpired that morning and my need to believe in something, if only the cleverness of the emergency team. She comforted and consoled me and together we said the Lord's prayer, which was ingrained in me.

"I have to go Cathy, but I'll go straight down to the church and light a candle for her."

"Will it help?" I asked.

"It will help me," she said, "God doesn't need gestures, just love."

"Okay," I agreed, "light one for me too."

"I will do. Come and see me sometime whatever happens today."

"Okay, I will."

As soon as I ended the call my phone peeped and a text message appeared. 'On my way, Si.'

Now I had to work out what I was going to say to him and to her father. Both of whom will be upset if they find out about the termination. Do I need to tell them? Oh shit, why is it always me?

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Poor Stella

This is the saddest episode so far, and I've shed a tear for Stella and for Cathy too, who is being so strong. How can she keep going through so much?

Aud.

O M G !

You did it again. First you let me smirk at the 'internetz' *Yeah, you can't be normal to go there* And then you had to do it, shake me up good and proper. Darn. So okay, now I'm worried. Sniffling a bit too.

I hope you're happy..

Jo-Anne

Two Wet Eyes

What happened, Angharad? Were you jealous of Ms. Morgan's lovely little tearjerker so you wanted to prove you could do it, too?

I hope this doesn't turn into some sort of competition. I'll dehydrate.

Started reading a few days ago...

Princess Angharad:

I ONly started reading "Easy as" a few days ago. I really love stories that make me care about the characters, and the authors. I Love this story.

Looks like you got some of that box of Kleenex after all.

Sarah Lynn

Fast reader

You started reading it a few days ago and you're at last (currently) last chapter ? What did you do ? Did you stay at your screen 24 hours a day to finish it ?

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Stella

I hope your not going to off Stella she's one character I've learned to love nearly as much as Cathy.It seems you've managed to find one thing Cathy hasn't had to deal with possibly losing the person who is her best friend and mentor.I don't cry easily but I'll tell you I'm just about there.Amy

Wow

You done it again. And Cathy's rising to the occasion yet again. Interesting the call to the vicer too... I wonder what happens when her adrennline kick wears off. She's really going.

Thanks.

hey, I'm O neg ...

... if Stella needs another arm full, let me know. You never let up, do you? You're playing with my emotions.

Some of the comments at the beginning reminded of the output we get from Julie Bindel in our favourite newspaper, who seems convinced that the only reason men undergo SRS is to gain access to female changing rooms. She gives feminism a bad name; in fact I don't think she'll be satisfied until all male children are put down at birth.

Geoff

I'm O neg too

Angharad's picture

and I was a second child! Dunno what my brother is, but my mum was A neg.

Angharad

Angharad

O neg here, too

erin's picture

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

This sounds like blood type elitisim here

I'm AB- myself or is it AB + , whichever one is rarer. It's been some time since I was tested.

Universal recipient, the least useful dooner unless you need the same stuff.

I was hoping Cathy would turn out to be intersexd or with the Lord's connctions would get a womb transpant or grow her own with stemcells or someother near future sci-fi. Don't tell me Stella will live long enogh to will her organs to Catty then die from toxic shock or a blood clot? A hell of a way to become a mother, but then marring Simon would be incest and ...

This reads like an American TV soap. Shane on you.

Or have I gone of the deep end again?

John in Wauwatosa recovering from his BC withdrawl symptoms.

John in Wauwatosa

Plunging off the deep end

If you really want to plunge in off the deep end, start your own daily series featuring Joanie. You could call it "As Easy As Falling Out Of A Bikini". ;)

I WAS half asleep until…

…you released your Exocet, Ang. OMGG Whatever Next? (again)

Did you ever think of applying for the job of scriptwriter for The Archers? Cathy seems to be a sort of TG Dick Barton!

Will Stella be all right?… Will their Lordships throw their dollies when they learn what Stella has done?… Will our Heroine do something even more heroic?… Will Spike become a blood donor to save Stella?… Tune in again tomorrow night for the next thrilling episode of Cathy Watts—Zoologist Extraordinaire!

Well, you certainly woke me up!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gaud, this is better than any soap opera I have ever seen.

Wow Angharad, I was looking for a train wreck in 'Charlotte' not here. Besides this isn't even a train wreck. It is a boat, train, car, airplane and spacestation wreck all in one at one point in space. I'm not even going to ask could it get any worse, for I know you will write it.

Give us a break, my heart can't take to much more from your story. Please don't let Stella die, she truely is my heroine too. She may be insane, but she is a beautiful insane person.

Looking forwards to your next installment.

Hugs dear, GREAT job!

Joni W

Not one to bawl my eyes out...

...but I REALLY hope Stella's alright.

Mind you, it's no good asking you is it. You don't know what's happening until it happens.

I wonder if you were as shocked as the rest of us.

I need more coffee after that.

Great Stuff Ang. Keep it up (if you can)

NB

OMG

didn't even think about that as a possibility. I sure hope we're going to see Stella recover. Wonder if Cathy is Stella's blood type. Would have been a cool twist to have Cathy give Stella blood. Really sisters!

Lets hope Henry and Simon don't blame the messenger. Pretty common under stress to do that.

Angharad, you constantly amaze me on the twisty paths this story takes. Just when your readers were relaxing from thinking that Stella may have been kidnapped or worse, worse happens.

Woody

Another chapter that ends as a shock!

This chapter really came as a shocker. Cathy had supposedly quieted down Stella and then finds her in the morning almost dead. Thankfully she was there to check on Stella and was rational enough to be able to call for medical help. Well done, Cathy.
The various comments she read about herself and others like her are very typical, some that are for, some that are against; but leave it to the individual, and the few closed minds who think and believe they and they alone speak for God.
I find it sad and strange about those who can't even spell the title "WOMAN" correctly, but make up a word to show their ignorance. "Best to be thought a fool, than open your mouth and proved to be one". This is one of the best quotes I have ever known and it seems appropriate for the closed minded crowd. Thanks for another wonderful cliff hanger chapter Angharad, this is just like "Perils of Pauline", tune in tomorrow to see what happens. J-Lynn

Stella

Scary stuff. I would be very sad if she were written out of the story. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

WOW, what a chapter. First we

WOW, what a chapter. First we have the bigots and narrow minded, then when things are dying down Stella ruptures and almost bleeds out
And the abortion was done at a clinic, why not at hospital.
You could pitch for the Red Sox How many more curve balls are going to be served up ?

Cefin

Heart Wrenching!

Rhona McCloud's picture

On my third reading of EAFOAB I still chuckle at the humour and ponder the points Angharad raises but you’d think by now I would be immune to the shocks. Wrong! My heart goes out to Stella in her agonies and peril.

Rhona McCloud