Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 127

Printer-friendly version

Life gets more fraught for our heroine.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad & Lance Groinstrain.
part 127.

I made it out of the City before the traffic got too bad, I also made some progress on the motorway before it all clogged to a standstill. I have seen computer models where they show just volume of traffic can bring things to a complete stop. This seemed to be the case in point today. At least when you think that's the problem, you can curse everyone for being there, rather than feel the cold shiver when you pass an accident site, especially when the ambulance is still there waiting for the fire brigade to cut the victims out.

Half an hour after crawling north on the motorway, I spotted the mess on the other side of the road. Cars and vans all over the place, police and fire tenders with blue lights flashing and the ambulance, just waiting. I didn't want to look, to gawp and stare. So why did my eye keep focusing on it all?

Somebody tooted a horn, behind me somewhere and I came back to the traffic my side of the barrier. I prayed no one was badly injured but saw enough of the damaged cars to think it was very likely.

Eventually, the speed of the crawl, became a trot through canter to gallop, on the other side it was stationary for about seven miles then I noticed the police had closed the other carriageway at the next junction. I was glad I wasn't going back south today.

It was rush hour in Bristol and I went straight to the hospital to see Daddy. I did and was horrified to see how much weight he'd lost with the virus. He was skin and bone.

I spoke with the Ward Sister, "If I was to do him a series of soups and freeze them, is there anyway they could be stored here for him?"

"Not really, we have a small fridge that's it."

"What about the kitchens?"

"You could ask them, but they may refuse if they haven't cooked it." She called up the catering manager who told me on the phone it would contravene so many of his food hygiene protocols that I stopped him mid-sentence and gave up. Daddy would just have to cope with what I could get to him when I could.

I'd grabbed a fresh soup and small loaf from Tesco on the way in. After pleading with him for quarter of an hour he agreed to eat some, then grumbled all the time he did.

"Thanks Daddy, I'll make you some tomorrow, I promise," I crossed my heart more from childish practise than present belief. He nodded and grumbled some more.

"Voo woo eed or unny?" he said with great difficulty.

"Something about honey?" I guessed, wrongly apparently because he got very cross with himself, and I think with me.

He moved his good hand, flicking his thumb over his fingers, "Unny," he repeated several times.

"Money?" I guessed and he sighed as if at last the idiot had got it.

"Voo woo eed or?" he tried again.

I shook my head, "Have I got enough?" it didn't sound anything like what he'd said.

"Ess," he clenched his fist and shook it punching a success.

"I suppose I could get some more, I have shopping to get tomorrow," I said blithely, then a horrible idea came to me. "I hope you don't think I'm trying to up the ante here?" I almost snapped at him.

"Vie avv voo?" he managed to get out and there was a hard look in his eye.

"If you thought that was the case, I'd have taken the money you offered me for the bike, or do you think that was a con too?" I was getting angrier by the minute, but instead of the red hot anger I shown to Simon earlier, this was ice cold, and his eyes began to register some fear.

"You realise I am about this far from walking out of here," I said holding my thumb and finger about half an inch from each other. "And if I do I won't ever come back. I don't need your stinking money and I won't be bought. If I change my mind, then it will be to Simon or his family, they are billionaires, they make Richard Branson seem impoverished."

He slumped in his chair and began weeping silently. His only defence against my rapidly increasing fire power.

This time I was inured, detached from emotion an intellectual disgust with him. I had just bust a gut to get to him and this was all the thanks I got. Well fuck him!

"I'll call by tomorrow if I can find time." Having snapped this at him in cold hissing voice, I grabbed my coat and was storming off the ward when one of the nurses intercepted me and pointed to the office.

"Proud of ourselves are we?" she asked.

"What business of yours is it?" I said back coldly.

"He's a patient of mine whom you have just bullied. I don't like bullies."

"Good job you you didn't meet him a year or two ago then."

"Why?"

"He nearly beat me to death. I don't owe him anything, and he can't buy me either."

"He can't beat you now, so you enjoyed getting your own back did you?"

"No."

"So why did you do it?"

"Because he's playing mind games with me, like he used to when I was a kid. Then he threatened me, now it's emotional blackmail."

"He's very weak at the moment."

"I'm sorry, I don't wish him ill. I try not to even think about him."

"That's not true." She stared me in the eye as she spoke and I couldn't hold her gaze. I looked at the floor and felt a tear drip off my nose. "I've seen you with him, I saw you watching when the physio was here, the pride you had when he walked a step or two. It was almost palpable. I've also seen the way you made food for him and fed him. His eyes sparkled with pride in you. You couldn't hurt him if you wanted too, you don't have it in you."

I stood shaking my head. The tears were now dripping to form an abstract pattern on the linoleum floor. "I mustn't let him control me again, I can't." I looked at the nurse's face and said, "He fucked me up before, I can't let him do it again. This time I will kill myself."

She held me firmly by the elbows forcing me to look into her eyes again, "No you won't, there is no need for anyone to be hurt. Come and sit down and have a drink of tea and just calm down."

She pushed me into the chair and I sat trembling wondering why I was such a bad person. Was it my destiny to be self destructive, just as I seemed to living my dream? A bit like Moses being stopped from entering the Promised Land. I liked that analogy, same bloody God who it seemed could piss all over me when he felt like it.

Give me someone with whom I am blissfully happy and get them shot, okay, they didn't die probably so they can be used against me again in the future. Then my sense of guilt? Firmly entrenched through childhood indoctrination and played like a fiddle by my dad, one of his fucking disciples! I seethed with impotence.

"Here, drink this," she placed a mug of steaming fluid in my shaking hands. "Look I know all we women have difficulties juggling jobs, careers and family, not to mention housework and stuff."

"I work in Portsmouth, my boyfriend is in hospital there, he was accidentally shot."

"Oh dear, not badly I hope."

"Not critically no, but he comes out on the weekend and I have to dash back there to nurse him."

"Oh."

"My prof has just given me a teaching assignment and I have to recruit and instruct someone to take over my field project, I also have student to tutor."

"Sounds like a busy time."

"I don't think I can do it all and come up here to make him soup."

"I see your problem. Our's is he won't eat hospital food."

"So that gives him carte blanche to blackmail me does it?"

The nurse now looked away from my face and shrugged her shoulders. "You are his daughter, he is your dad."

"Only because he stopped ignoring me. I left home because he nearly killed me. I swore I would never go back. Then what happens? My mother dies and he has a bloody stroke. If there was any justice it should have been him who died not her. I miss her so much." I put the cup down and burst into tears, the nurse moved her chair around and hugged me.

"There, there," she cooed my head on her shoulder and she rubbing my back, "let all the pain out, let it all go."

I honestly can't say how long I sobbed on her shoulder but it was minimally several minutes. The pain I felt was like a large knife twisting inside my heart as I wept for my mother. Part of me wished I had taken the shot that hit Simon, and killed me. Then I could join her, except I didn't know if I believed in any of that after life bunk. I just wished I could have spent a few more minutes with her before she died, just to be accepted as her daughter, then I could have died happy myself.

To think, I spent a year away from her with virtually no contact because of him. How I could have used that time had I known I wouldn't see her ever again. If only I had known. I must be a bad person. I must be a bad person.

"I must be a bad person." I whispered out loud.

"Why do you say that?" she whispered back to me.

"Because God hates me."

"Do you really think that?" she continued rubbing my back.

"Some days I do."

"And today is one of them?"

"Yes."

"Have you spoken to our hospital chaplain?"

"I don't want priests near me." I pulled away from her.

"Okay, okay you don't have to speak to him, except he's a nice old boy and might be able to help you through some of these issues."

"I think I might have told him to fuck off when my mother died."

"Oh, not good."

"Well he started off with his Christian claptrap. I wasn't in the mood for it."

"I see. He may not remember you."

"I should think my image is seared onto the back of his eyeballs."

"Oh, pity."

"I'll be all right." I shuddered and sat up.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, hell is that the time?" I pretended I could see the clock across the way but it was so blurry from my tears I couldn't read it. "I have to go."

"You sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, thanks for your help. Don't tell him, will you?"

"Nah, this was between just you and me."

I stood up and did up my coat, wiping my eyes on a tissue and suspecting that I had makeup everywhere. "Thank you," I said proffering my hand.

She took it and squeezed gently, "You're welcome. Take care now won't you?"

"Yeah," I said almost dismissively.

"I mean it."

I nodded, "Yes okay, so do I."

up
175 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I swore...

...long ago that I would never get caught up in soap operas of any kind.

Seems that I am making an exception here - the writing is just too damned good not to read. Another excellent chapter, Angharad.

Too bad transexualism isn't more widely accepted - this would make an excellent basis of a television soap opera.

Distraught

You know, I'm not sure Cathy got this last bit right. Mind you, I have a hard time figuring out what her dad is trying to say myself, but I think she jumped to the wrong conclusion about the money. I'm not sure how much he is indeed trying to manipulate her, and how much is real sorrow, and how much is due to his weakness.

But Cathy is overdue for a real cry in the arms of somebody who cares about her. She needs it badly.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

With as Bad as You have Written The Father

...and with the way I dislike male souls intensely, you have made me want to say this about Cathy's Father. Let The S.O.B. die! Anyone knowing my past understands why. I dont feel he will truly accept her. I dont feel he is remorseful for his wife's death which he indirectly caused, nor the pain he inflicted upon Cathy when she had been a boy. Write him off Auntie! Let him reach literary hell where he can burn amongst the bad fictional characters of authors new and old. I, personally, now hate him! You can NEVER buy love! It MUST BE EARNED!

Hugging Cathy gently
 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

I'm sad that you dislike me ...

... without our ever having met. Though it does seem to be a theme amongst a section of the TG community. Prejudice is a terrible thing and it cuts all ways. I'm male. I presume, if anyone has a soul, mine is male. There's not a lot I can do about it, any more than I can change my race. I resent being grouped with violent males, any more than a women might resent being grouped with evil women.

Cathy's dad is drawn very unsympathetically - it's part of the story. My grandmother was very vindictive woman who hated lots of people (including me, eventually), but I know all old women aren't like her. I know because, although it wasn't my intention on my wedding day over 40 years ago, I now sleep with one every night. I hate violence; I dislike firearms because they epitomise violence; I find killing anything for amusement abhorrent; I don't eat meat. I get angry and I get annoyed but I wouldn't dream of resorting to violence except, in extremis, in self defence.

Many years ago I thought I was TS. I eventually realised I'm not. Most of my interests throughout my life have shown me to be male, but I know I have a female side (I'm here aren't I?) and I like the company of women as friends. My best friend in all the world is the old lady I share my life with. I don't like a lot of people, perhaps I might stretch to hate, but none of that applies to an indiscriminately selected group.

Geoff

Let Me Explain Geoff

because I'm not conveying myself properly. It is my fault. I can get along with certain males (im not sure by what defintiion I truly mean on this - body or soul)for work, and maybe sometimes for friends. Generally I am in fear of them, scared to drive or travel alone, or go out at night. My past is why Im like how I am now. I cannot shake it all off. My identity is bisexual leaning towards lesbianism but my original sexuality was focused on men before my rape and beatings.

Its difficult for me to explain totally but im not holding your sex against you without seeing you. I dont. its just a general tendency i have to fight always. Cathy's father fits in with the scourge of people that I have come across during my life that abused and mistreated me.

A key problem is I crave a father I dont have who would hold me in his loving arms and care for me, use his strength to love me and cherish me. I never had that and it leaves me feeling incomplete always. That aspect of maleness of knowing they would protect me i can never shake off and it keeps me from being a pure lesbian inside and leaves me confused.

The actions of a few scarred me and its reflexive by nature inside me how I react.

However, your postings here on BC and your generosity speaks a lot in and of itself and I would like to be your friend Geoff. Please forgive me, as I did not mean to brandish my fears at you like I did.

 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

I'm not perfect either ...

... and I appreciate that you've had some bad experiences with men. Of course I forgive you - unreservedly, but I just felt that I had to suggest that we're not all like that. There are some nasty people in the world and obviously you've met a few of the male ones. I tried to be gentle in my comment whilst still making the point; I hope I succeeded (in being gentle, I mean).

Don't worry. I didn't take it personally - it was just a way of making my argument.

Thanks for the work you do here. It's appreciated (not least by Erin, I guess) I hope I may be permitted to end with ...

hugs

Geoff

I agree Geoff

Please don't think I'm ganging up with Geoff against you Seph, but I think I know how Geoff feels.

I too have difficulties with men, yet I am one. I can't see myself any other way. I know too that I have a feminine side, though it will always be the male of the outside that anyone sees.

I hate the way that there is so little acceptance of anything other than males all having to be rippling muscles and pure brawn. Why can't a man be gentle and emotional without being gay?

I am, or I would like to think I am gentle and emotional - thoughtful even.

It pains me to see how women like my mother and all others like her, have been treated by the men they feel are so attractive, when all they are are liars, cheats, bullies, philanderers or any mixture thereof.

Perhaps it is this that pushes me more to this side of the fence and whilst I don't have the problems that so many TG people have, I still wrestle mentally with the pain of looking like a man yet feeling more like a woman, or looking at a man and seeing nothing more than an arsehole. I know I could never be a woman, but to be lumped in with all those bastards out there just because I have that one birth defect?

I would hope that anyone who meets me would see a sensitive and caring person, not one of those that has made your life and the lives of so many others miserable, yet I fear that it will never be entirely that way.

On a brighter note, it's true that some women are arseholes too and that always makes me feel better!

Nick

great chapter

kristina l s's picture

I think 'll agree with Karen here. It's a little hard to tell just where Dads feelings lie at present. Is he remorseful or is he simply playing along due to lack of choice? It's possible Cathy misunderstood or maybe he's just feeling vulnerable and tried to take a pinch of control back...

Maybe he is a bastard...but there's plenty of male souls out there that aint and a few pretty dark female ones I'm sure. I even know a few of both. Whatever the case...great piece. Keep it up Angharad

Kristina

Poor Cathy, not many good choices

To a large extent it is not what her dad is or intends, it is how Cathy will feel about it that matters.

She was so beaten mentaly and physically she too often asumes when things go wrong it is her fault. Look at her thoughts about Simon being shot, though part of that is due to intense love for him.

She has the problem that maybe these twin shocks of the wife's death and his strokes/ illness have forced him to try and change. Cathy so wants the love and respect of her parents, of anyone that it would hurt her terribly if she gave up on dad and he died leaving her some heartwrenching testimony, a note or last words to a nurse. Maybe all HER chidhood treasures were saved and he was going to return them like with the doll? If he is lying because he is vunerable, it might feel good for a while to make the bastard suffer but that would be preptuating the violence as much as retribution. It would hurt Cathy more than dad, at least in Cathy's mind.

The big problem at the moment is he is nearly indecypherable. His speech is awful. Can he write, if he can it would simplify things.

There are a couple things that would convince me he is sincere at long last. One is leave his loony, hateful church. The other would be to give his wife's, not his estate, clothes and such to Cathy with the promise she gets the rest when he dies. A nice written confession to the police detailing his beatings of his child and anyone else would be another bit of proof. Given when the last beating was the stautes may not have run out on some of his crimes. Being willing to got to prison would show contrition.

Poor girl, she wants love that there is no way I can think of to get. Mom is gone and can't prove to Cathy she accepted her daughter, Her dieing words may have been half-mad ramblings. And Dad, he'd have to beat hinself half to death multiple times to make up for what he did. And how will he kick himself in the genitals?

Now I feal like Sephrena, I want to see him trapped in a hospital fire and burn.

How can Cathy choose and not choose wrong?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Reply Regarding Writing

Her father's stroke was on the left side, my limited knowledge of this is that strokes on the left side affect the right side of the body.

Only 4 - 5% of people are left-handed, almost everyone else is right-handed, with a very small percentage being truly ambidextrous. In this case, I would think it highly unlikely that her father would be able to write well, with very limited right side function.

Communication after a stroke is difficult enough, not being able to write would make it much harder, and recovery is usually slow.

Daddy :(

I wish I could tell my dad. I think if I did he would react rather badly. I would rather hide myself away and keep him than lose him forever. When I was small my parents told me I was adopted I tried very hard to not misbehave I always thought they would give me back. Irrational fears I know but fears that have stayed with me for all this time. Disappointing him is not something I could risk.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

MEN

I would like to think the "men" who beat her 1- weren't men and 2- don't have a soul. I understand the broad brush approach, but not all of us are like that. Geoff isn't and I'd like to think I'm not. This reaction is human. Bigotry and hate come from fear. Remember every one is female in the womb. then mom sneezes, and oops some of us get a little extra before some masked guy slaps us on the ass. And at that point, trouble and fun starts.
Cefin