Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 163

Printer-friendly version

"From tears? I don't think so. But if I was in your position, I think it might be nice if someone simply held me for a moment, just so my body knew I wasn't entirely alone." He allowed me to hug him and he sobbed in my arms, I wanted to cry too.

Easy As Falling Off A Kite.
by: Angharad
part 163

Simon and Stella teased me rotten when I got home, I'd asked her to pick me up. It got so bad that I threatened not to cook dinner if they didn't behave, which just meant that everytime I went into the sitting room from the kitchen, they both sniggered. I was in half a mind to poison both of them.

I did a stroganoff, and while it and the vegetables cooked, I sorted some more emails. I had another one from the bloke in Bristol, 'Looking forward to seeing me again.' I wondered if he was as interested in dormice as he was in me? If so did he know something from my past, well I spent quite a lot of time there, and until very recently, it was all as a boy.

If he did his research, or somebody at the BBC did, they may find that my degree at Sussex, was awarded to Charles not Cathy Watts. I had contacted them, and they had agreed to alter it, but I knew they'd have more important things to do, and it would take time.

We ate and drank a bottle or two of red wine, it always leaves me feeling heavy, so I only had two glasses, the rest being diluted with lemonade. Then it was straight lemonade on the rocks! I'm such a hardened drinker, I thought a screwdriver was something for putting screws in things and Tequila sunrise, is something that happens in Mexico every morning.

Simon was merry and fell asleep on the couch, Stella helped me, or rather she tried to help me clear up, but she actually got in the way more than assisted. I sent her off with a flea in ear, assuming she could locate her ear, which was doubtful as she'd missed her mouth twice and had gravy and red wine on one of her favourite tops.

She finished her meal sat in her bra, the top was in the wash - we needed to do one anyway, and Simon kept sniggering at her. I sat in the kitchen, the sound of the dish washer and the washing machine was preferable to Simon's snoring, which sounded like wild boar on heat - probably regulo five!

Stella went to bed before the two machines finished, I left the dishes but took the laundry out and folded or rolled it. I was too tired to put it in the tumble drier tonight.

I think Simon spent most of the night on the sofa, from the noises he was making it sure wasn't the tonic sofa! I went to bed and read for a bit, I was asleep by eleven. I was awake early too.

I had woken to hear Simon staggering up the stairs sometime in the middle of the night. I simply turned over and zonked again, until I had the dream.

I was back in school and handling a pet rat I had in those days, when it hopped down my jumper. It was in front of an audience of the entire fourth form, about a hundred and twenty kids.

I appeared to be doing a talk on rats, or keeping them, mine was a lovely champagne colour called, Goldie. She ran up my arm when someone frightened her and hopped down my jumper. I should have been wearing a shirt and tie under my sweater and a blazer on top of that. Instead I was wearing an open necked dress under a cardigan, the girls' summer uniform.

Suddenly, someone noticed, "Here sir, Watts is wearing a dress and his rat's gone down his bra!" This was followed by noisy laughter and the rat bit me on the breast. Yes I had breasts, and it hurt, then I saw the blood spreading over my dress and screamed in horror.

I woke up sitting bolt upright in my bed with sweat pouring off me, and it took a few moment for me to orient myself. Had I screamed? I couldn't hear any movement outside my door, so the inebriate siblings were still asleep. I went for a pee and eventually fell asleep again, hoping it was just my own cooking that was the problem.

Stella called me, just before she left, Simon had gone already How could they manage it? They'd drunk enough to float a battleship and were fully functioning, I was still sleepy and had drunk very little, it seemed ironic.

I showered and dressed, and after a piece of toast and a cuppa went to work. Agnew was already in. I checked my watch, I wasn't late, I began to wonder if the clocks had changed last night, but knew they hadn't and mine was showing the same time as everyone else.

I spent half an hour with the prof, he assigned me a group of first year students to tutor in a group! Oh boy anarchy will reign, maybe I could go sick, yellow fever! Yeah that's it I'm too yellow to face a group of first years. I had to see them this morning, oh shit!

"You are a household name Lady Catherine," said Pippa when she brought in a coffee for his nibbs and a tea for me.

"How do you figure that?"

"Seen this?" She handed me a copy of 'The Sun' with a caption of, 'Now you see me - now you don't.' There were three photos, one of me holding Spike, a second of Spike running up my arm, and the third of the tail and hind legs disappearing down my blouse. In the Mail, it was, 'Ready, steady, gone!'The Guardian, described it as the,'Disappearing Dormouse trick,' 'Don't try this at home kids, they are a protected species and need a special licence to handle them, or in the case of Dr Watts, wear them!' The Daily Express had a further picture of Dan the technician helping me to remove Spike, captioned, 'gotcha.'

The same pictures were in most of the London papers, the tabloids all called me Lady Catherine, the Guardian called me Dr Catherine Watts, and the Times called me Lady Catherine Watts. The Independent, didn't mention the story at all.

We had calls about cruelty to hamsters, hamsters I ask you! The RSPCA were visiting my unit this afternoon - who invited them? Somebody wanted to know if the dormouse was real, and another wanted to hire me to perform for their kids party. The last one had the professor and Pippa almost on their knees laughing. I enjoy a joke but this was fast becoming unfunny.

I finished my tea and the mince pie, Pippa had brought from home. Maybe I'd make some of those for Dad, when I went home on thursday evening.

I had arranged with Agnew to finish on lunch time on Thursday, I usually take stuff with me anyway, and as I was meeting this film maker bloke, he thought I deserved the time off, he also asked me do an extra tutorial with a young man from the first year that afternoon. "He was doing very well, but we think he has some issues he's not telling us about. He was seeing Dr Perris as his tutor, but I wondered if your lighter touch might get answers quicker."

Dr Perris was a cold fish, which was his specialty, sea fish. He'd worked at Southampton for some time helping with their oil spills team, studying the effects upon fish stocks and so on. He'd managed to transfer a grant from the government to continue his study on breeding stocks of fish and environmental change, from Southampton to Portsmouth. As there was money on offer, Andrews grabbed him with both hands. He could be a bit gruff by all accounts, and maybe frightening for younger students, especially girls.

I went off to do my group tutorial, there were six of the monsters waiting for me, two boys and four girls. I was in jeans and trainers with a polo-neck jumper and cardigan.

"Hi I'm Cathy Watts and I'm going to be doing this group for the foreseeable future." That was a lie, because I wouldn't be with them after Christmas, but they didn't need to know that.

They introduced themselves, Tim, Ivan, Siobhan, Louise, Sharon and Lesley. They seemed a nice enough bunch, although we had to get the disappearing dormouse joke out of the way.

All of them were having a slight problem with course work, in particular practicals. We spent an hour running over dissection of the rat and it's anatomy. If only they knew how squeamish I was? I hated chopping up things that resembled animals, once they'd been made small enough to go under a microscope, I could play all day.

It turned out two of the girls had similar problems, the boys were either thick or lazy, probably both, and the other two girls didn't like their lecturer. Takes all sorts I suppose.

I ate a sandwich while doing some more emails, another of Pippa's lists which Agnew had delegated to me. Thank God we weren't doing an entomological survey, with my luck I'd get to supervise beetles, of which there are more species than any other group.

I was still busy at the 'puter when there was a knock at the door. For some reason I didn't remember my afternoon tutorial, I was so involved in sending snotty replies to stupid professors in different universities, of which Oxbridge seemed to have their share.

"What now Pippa?" I growled and turned around to see a trembling student.

"Lady Catherine?"

"Dat's me, who are you?"

"Steven Naylor, I was told to come and see you."

I looked blankly at him, "Why?" Then my brain cell fired, "Tutorial?"

"Yes ma'am."

"My students call me Cathy, are you a Steve, or Steven or Stevie?"

"I like Stevie," said this very quiet almost mouselike voice.

"Shut the door and pull up a seat."

He walked over to me and gave me the limpest handshake I'd ever had. It made mine seem butch.

"Tea?" I asked and made us each a cup. "Okay, I hear you're having problems with keeping your work up to scratch?"

"Yeah, it's nothing, it'll pass."

"But you won't according to the marks I was shown."

He went pale and looked at the floor. I gave him a few moments. "I'll be okay, I just got behind a bit."

"Why was that?" I was trying to give him a chance to open up.

"It's personal."

"Okay."

"Is that all you're going to say, okay?"

"Yeah, if it's personal, it's personal. I can get the thumbscrews and rubber truncheon if you like."

"I'd prefer you didn't." He blushed.

"So would I. They made me clean the blood up last time."

"Ugh," he answered. We paused for a few minutes and I decided to test some hunches.

"So how long have you known?" I asked him.

"Known what?" he said.

"About yourself?"

"Jesus, is it that obvious?"

"What's his name?"

"Fuck! How do you know?"

"Have you had blood tests done?"

"I'm scared." I watched tears roll down his face.

"So would I be."

"They say you used to be a boy, is it true?"

"What do you think?"

"I don't know, I can recognise another gay from across the street, but you seem to be giving out straight girl vibes. You're also too pretty to have been a boy."

"Nah, that's just the makeup."

"You're not wearing any, are you?"

Oh shit, I'd forgotten to put any on I was in such a rush. "So are you going to tell me about it?"

It turns out that Stevie is gay as I suspected and has had a fling with a sailor, who has now gone back to his ship and someone told Stevie, the guy has HIV. How did I know, I didn't, it was a guess.

"How did you know?"

"Female intuition, I don't know, it struck me as a possibility and I tested it."

"They say women are good at picking up on gay men."

"I suppose you're quieter than most young men of your age group. Also you didn't make any comments about me or my juggling trick with a dormouse, which the papers liked. It was at a press conference."

"I didn't see it."

"So are you feeling ill?"

"Not really just shit scared."

"They have counsellors at these clinics."

"Yeah, I know but how can they prepare you to die. I'm too young, I'm only eighteen." He sobbed and I moved to hold him.

"Careful, you don't want to catch anything," he snapped pulling away.

"From tears? I don't think so. But if I was in your position, I think it might be nice if someone simply held me for a moment, just so my body knew I wasn't entirely alone." He allowed me to hug him and he sobbed in my arms, I wanted to cry too.

I held him for a few minutes before it suddenly occurred to me that Stella may be able to help him. "I have someone who works at the GU unit. Like me to give them a call?"

"I dunno, once they test me, if it's positive, my life is over."

"No it isn't, with the drugs they have now, you'll be able to live a normal life for years."

"I won't be able to have relationships, huh! Relationships, first one I have and it fucks me up big time." He sounded angry now.

"Until you have the tests, you won't know. So you're running around in circles. If you have the test, it might be negative and you can just get on with life as before." I felt like saying, but use protection.

"Would you like me to come with you?" I offered.

"I dunno, dunno if I'm gonna go yet."

"If you wait until you get ill, it's probably going to make things harder, surely the thing to do is to deal with it as soon as possible, and that's assuming you are positive. It might just be malicious gossip." I almost said, you know what gays are like for that. Thank God I didn't.

"Would you come with me, to the clinic I mean?" he asked.

"I said I would, so yes I will."

I made the appointment there and then, for tomorrow afternoon - my early finish! Oh bugger, but I suspected Stevie's need was greater than mine. And I thought I had problems.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post a comment or we send the dormice round - not the cute ones, the house destroyers!

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Compassionate Cathy

Showing again her true colors...."but I suspected Stevie's need was greater than mine. And I thought I had problems"

Thanks Angharad, you keep making this character in a story more and more real.

Cathy has a few problems.

Or are we supposed to call them 'issues' now?

First is the growing, or continuing, alcohol dependency of Simon and Stella. It also doesn't help that they're treating her like their personal housekeeper/maid/cook. She needs to put her foot down and make them do their share even if it means easing on the wine intake or it'll end in tears, you mark my words ;)

Then there's the BBC guy who I think could well make a far better boy friend than the current aristo lush she's mollycoddling right now. Why is she accepting being addressed as 'Lady' Catherine when she isn't ... yet (and I hope never). Now, as if she hasn't got enough to worry about, she's getting involved in another lame duck. Lastly, why am I bovvered? :D

Good on the Indie for being true to form and ignoring the incontinent dormouse story. I would have thought the 'Gotcha' headline would be more suited the Sun; after all they've famously used it before.

Geoff

Full Plate

And here I was thinking Cathy's plate was heaping before. Now you've gone and had her put a whole rack of BBQ ribs on it as well. DANG GIRL! How much more can you ask one person to take on? Lovely story. I've never been to Bristol England, (only Bristol, Tennesee), but you make me feel like I've lived there my whole life. The way you write your story is, what I hope to one day be able to do. Actually put the reader in the scene with the charicter, as if they were watching it all play out infront of them. Keep up the great work.

Much love.
Toni

Not in the Telegraph either…

It seems that the paper I worked for many years ago (The Daily Telegraph) didn't pick up on the disappearing dormouse story either. Mind you, in those days The Independent didn't exist.

By showing her concern for others problems, Cathy grows as a woman episode by episode, even when she has problems of her own.

Happy New Year everyone,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

the telegraph ....

Angharad's picture

will probably run it next week.... it's a bit slow, it's average readership age is about 120. Which is better than the Sun with a readership IQ of 15

Angharad

Angharad

Watch it. Your Guardianista agenda ...

... is showing. You should also allow for the fact that the Torygraph has quite good cycling coverage. I also think you're wrong about the IQ of Sun readers - much too generous :)

G

it was....

Angharad's picture

collective, the IQ of the solar news, that is. The Telegraph used to have a good rugby correspondent as well. Sadly, they all neglect cycling somewhat, which is why I get CW, or 'the comic' as Gaby calls it. Dr Hutch is very good. Telegraph crossword got too easy, and I like my left wing news with a smile, hence the Grauniad.

Angharad

Angharad

Wot about the Mirror?

Can't believe the Mirror didn't have something. Or were the pictures not racy enough?

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I couldn't name them all

Angharad's picture

didn't mention the Star or the FT, or Socialist worker, or the Bristol Evening Post, or Western Mail, or Angling Times or Procycling or Trainspotter's weekly, New York Times, washington post, the Herald & Tribune,Le Figaro, Paris Match, aaarrrrghhhhh!

Angharad

Angharad

But the Mirror?

That's the best paper in the U.K.! ;)

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

How About the "Times Picayune"

Now, that's a classy paper, from a fun city (New Orleans). :-)

Yet another person for Cathy to help out... Lets see, how many is it now. A dozen? :-)

I'm also concerned with Simon & Stella constantly getting "smashed". I've seen too many relationships fall appart due to the use of excess alcohol. Hopefully, they recognize their abuse of the product and straighten up. Sadly, I suspect they won't without some BIG event to get their attention.

Thanks again,

Phrances

And wot aboot the Narberth And Whitland Observer

Then Cathy will surely have hit the big time!

Soon, Cathy will have trainned her little furry army for conquest and then she will march on Wales! We know this is her goal and she is surely plotting the dormise of a rich fiture husband. Stay tuned to this space for the future adventures of Cathy, ace rodent detective!

geekydee

ok, maybe one should not write comments at 49 blood sugar...

rodent detective?

From the bit about conquest and the "dormise" (I like that!) of Simon, perhaps it should be titled "Willard Gets SRS". ;)

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Well, it's house rule

isn't it? Read a story, post comment. So I have to :)

Another lovely chapter. Ordinary life mixing into the story? I guess at times you can't pass up on the chance to commit something harsh from real life into the story just so you can educate, or use it in a therapeutic way maybe. Or it's just inspiration of the moment. Anyhow, every so often there is something really big that's interspersed with the usual silliness and banter. Not to often these little pinpricks evolve into something really bad, but just at times there's this slight reminder where we readers can have a learning moment. One of the reasons I can't agree this BC soap is just but trifle.

Geoff, your remark whether we'd have to call it 'issues' now had me snickering. You were spot on.

Jo-Anne

falling off a kite

Are Cathy's door mice being dropped from kite's by the SOCA to help bust drug deals now?
Seriously, this has been a delightful read as always. My only comment is that a couple of the chapters wandered far from TG issues, and seemed more like a soap. Also I agree with Toni Trepasso in Cathy must be superwomen to be able to juggle so much. If it were me, I'd be working so hard I'd make myself sick. 'ang on a minute, maybe I'm just anticipating the next installment (giggle).

Actually, aside from the

Actually, aside from the (minor) issue of Cathy being TG, she reminds me of my niece. About the same age also. Always a full plate of projects and people to care for, yet somehow finds room for one more when they need it.

Carrry On

Angh - Easy to read, fun and a gentle introduction to big, big personal issues.

You should be getting this into some mainstream publication, though I'm in no position to say which one or even how to go about it.

It's the kind of thing that's easy on the sensitivities of those who might be scared to hear about gayness, HIV and transgender controversies.

I'm really great at giving other people advice about their lives.

marie c.

marie c.

Cathy for US President

You've made her a real humanitarian.She's concerned for the enviroment a real caretaker for animals,loves to bike great for helping with global warming,and shows compassion for others like helping the poor young guy with the Aids scare.The only possible downside her position on guns nothing a weekend attendance at an NRA meeting couldn't help.Lol Amy

Too bad...

...all the things you mentioned make her totally unfit for the job. And once again we would have to spend 100s of millions of tax dollars to find a way to impeach her. :)

I thought US Presidents

Angharad's picture

had to be US born in order to qualify, or are they going to waive that to elect President Arnie?

Angharad

Angharad

YUP.

(edited by Admin)

But,isn't he the one who called the entire Cali-PORN-ia state senate a bunch of "girly men?"

Much love.
Toni

Re. I thought US Presidents

I thought that too. Didn't they make a comic comment, on this, in Demolition Man? The "the 61st Amendment" as I recall.

US President must be a Natural Born US Citizen

Yea, the president has to be born over here, and get his or her citizenship via that route. Someone born elsewhere (or born here under several special cases) can never become president without an amendment to the constitution. That said... A person has to REALLY want all those headaches and be a bit soft in the head to want to run for the office (in my opinion)...

Phrances

I was having a bit of fun

I know US Presidents must be American born.I figured it would give everyone a laugh and I was trying to give the Europeans a rise from the NRA part.I think it would be absolutely hilarious for someone like Cathy to be are President I could see her now at a light hearted press conference peeing herself and the headlines US president pees herself. lol Amy

Well, I think Cathy is a

Well, I think Cathy is a total woman even with her "bits" and that is why she is picking up on things others aren't. She just has to get past her own issues and "walls" that she places in front of herself. One thing she does need do is get seen by Stella's office to help her with her constant peeing issue.
It is funny to me that Stella has not made comment on this already seeing as how she is a Urology Nurse Specialist.
And to wade into Cathy for President, Naaaa, She is too smart for that! However, the way things go in this country sometimes, who knows. (Grin) Janice Lynn

I think the incontinence bit

Angharad's picture

isn't as bad as readers think. It was primarily when she was 'stuck up' that it gave her most problems, that and when she giggled too much -a common problem with many women. Then it's called stress incontinence, and may indicate poor pelvic floor muscles.

I agree with your other point about Cathy being a woman in all but one spot, except she is so unsure of herself, other than when she is focussed on someone else and forgets her self consciousness.

Angharad

Angharad

Interesting on the Incontinence bit...

I was under the impression that her plumbing problem would actually reduce the likelihood of stress incontinence... Shows how little I actually know about things... Oops gotta run to avoid uncomfortablness.

Phrances

Incontinence

Dear Angharad,
Do not be that sure of this. Right afret my op I had this problem. It sent me to embarrasing situations more than once. Nothing helped. I got the antibiotics from A to Z. Finaly the practitioner sent me to a urolog that "looked me up" in the true meaning of it. He found a marble-sized bladder stone. Acute removal and from that day I never had that problem again. The problems started so direct after the op that it could not have been caused by the op. So have her bladder-inspected before it gets her into troubles.
Thank you for a good start of the new year
Ginnie

GinnieG

That reminds me

That reminds me of a photo I saw in the picture files of a magazine I edited in the 70s.

It showed a railway poster with a large ship leaving port. The caption read:– "Harwich for the Continent" Underneath a graffiti artist had scrawled:–

And Frinton for the incontinent

For our US (and other non-UK) friends, Harwich is the port from which ferries sail to Holland and Germany, and Frinton-on-Sea is a resort not far away which is popular with retired senior citizens.

Gabi
(being frivolous)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

No need for house destroying dormice

This is the 29th comment on this episode of which there are an awfull lot. If you add all the comments from all the episodes together, there's probably no story posted on this site scoring better. And still the author feels the need to make threats!

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

So,

Angharad's picture

I'm insecure!

Can't have too many comments. Just bear in mind two things, I wrote some of them (6), and very often they don't relate to the story, comments on my stories are often like chat rooms!

Angharad

Angharad

Comment 31

... and that's no bad thing. Angharad's story is acting like the forum should - and I'm insanely jealous :) I regularly visit a couple of other special interest fora(?) and they have wide ranging on and off topic threads. AEAFOAB is performing an excellent service. Thanks Angharad

Geoff

You FORA Classical education, Geoff?

At last! Someone who realises that the plural is FORA, not FORUMS! Whatever your spellchecker might say.

I take it you were raised on Latin and beaten regularly?

A Guid New Year tae ye,

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

fora et al

Like data and datum
index and indices

and those damn inflammable things that burn.

Amo Latin ...

NOT!! Yes, I suffered Latin at an all-male grammar school in the early 1950s. I can still recite the declensions and conjugations without understanding a word of the language itself - what a waste of time. At 14 I dropped all the 'arts' subjects to concentrate on science and never looked back. It was school where the masters all wore academic gowns to teach and we were expected to stand when one came into the room. Although beatings were rare, detentions weren't.

Happy Hogmanhay Gabi. Looking forward to Burns Nicht?

Geoff

So did I

Angharad's picture

Amo amas amat amamus amatus amant.
mensa mensa mensam mensarum mensis mensis.

All I can say is I love tables! Had trouble with Caesar's Gallic Wars and the Aenead. Hopeless at translations, I think thats why we fought two wars with Germany, classical education taught us to feel hostility to anyone who puts a verb at the end of the sentence!

I went to a boys grammar school too, it was a jungle but I think had more discipline than schools do now. Now it's a total jungle.

Angharad

Angharad

Good on you Cathy. I truly

Good on you Cathy.
I truly like this character.

Cheers
Yoron

Now this was a double sized story

AS the Comments were a nice addition to the story and made me love this part even more thank you Angharad for the Story. And All the rest of you for your comments

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Noooo!

Not the house destroying dormice! I best comment then... At least I found the comment button, so I don't have to hijack other people's comments now! Heehee...
I feel sorry for poor Cathy, getting all this unwanted attention! And all the bad luck... But it's great that even though she's got so much to do, she still has time to help people out. =D
On with the reading, this is so enjoyable~ ^^

*hugs*
Alyson

Another late arrival

At least I have company, almost.

The squirrel army based at

The squirrel army based at University of Texas, Austin is plenty a match for house destroying dormeece. They have been know to assault humans for food and shiny objects.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

I thought a screwdriver was

I thought a screwdriver was something for putting screws in things and Tequila sunrise, is something that happens in Mexico every morning.

And I thought Tequila Sunrise was either the title of an Eagles song or a movie featuring Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell and Michelle Pfeiffer! ;-)

Jenny

Cathy is now the nurturer,

Cathy is now the nurturer, what a turnaround
Ang has a nasty streak watch the kid has hiv
How do you imagine the scenarios ?

Cefin