Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 140

Printer-friendly version

Doctors and detectives, the plot doesn't get any better, in fact it sucks!

Easy As Falling In Love.
by: Angharaddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!
part:eleven dozen and eight.

Much to my surprise, I awoke, showered, dressed and managed a bite of something and was outside Dr Thomas' office at five minutes to eight. I'd had an awful night, but I'd survived the dreams and the tears and the hours of wakefulness in between. I had make up on, but I knew I looked as bad as I felt.

"Come on in Cathy, black or white?" she asked pouring a coffee. "What happened to you?" She had spotted the drop in my appearance.

"I had a bad night."

"How often does that happen?"

"Now and again."

"What happens?"

"I sometimes have bad dreams, sometimes I can't sleep or am worried."

"Worried about what?"

"All sorts of things, getting married, my dad, finishing my degree, the poison letters, you name it."

"What's this about letters?"

I had opened it again and placed it in the bag so it could be read without removal. Dr Thomas read it, "This isn't the first is it?"

"No about five I think, the police have the others."

"Okay, that's the correct thing to do. This sounds as if it's heading for some sort of confrontation, so just be careful that you don't put yourself at risk. Do whatever it is you have to to get away and call the police. As soon as you know who it is call the police. I know a chief inspector, I'll have a quiet word with him if you have no objections, he may spur them into doing a bit more than they seem to be doing."

"Thank you." I picked up the letter and placed it back in my bag.

"What else kept you awake?"

"Simon has proposed to me and I accepted. I wanted to wait until after I finished my degree, he didn't."

"Do you feel pressured into accepting this?"

"A little, but I set some conditions, like finishing my degree and sorting out what to do with my dad, as well as surgery and getting legal status sorted."

"So it's going to be a while yet?"

"Yes, he knows that and agreed to it, he wants me to live with him, I'm not too sure just yet."

"Mightn't be a bad idea with the 'ill-wisher' around."

"Yeah, but I just like having some space to think. I know when he's back to work, he'll be away some of the time so it won't seem quite so claustrophobic."

"Are you sure you want to marry him, you sound a bit ambivalent to me?"

"Yeah, I want to be his wife or partner, not sure I want the rest of his family except Stella, who I love like a sister."

"Like a sister, so you have no sexual feelings for her, or she for you?"

"Good gracious no, we even call each other 'sister' now."

Dr Thomas nodded, "And you still see yourself wanting surgery."

"I'm glad you brought that up, what's the minimum I have to wait for that?"

"You are supposed to spend one or more years living in role full time before I refer you."

"So Christmas would be too soon then?"

"What! Good lord yes."

"Oh, that's a pity."

"The waiting list for reassignment surgery on the NHS is a year or two, depending on where you live. Here we refer to London. Don't tell me boyfriend knows someone in Thailand or the US who can do it at Christmas?"

"No, Stella knows someone in Portsmouth who could do it at Christmas."

"Portsmouth? I'm not aware of anyone who works in this area who is competent in sex reassignment. It's not everyone's cup of tea."

"Stella is a nurse specialist in urology, she said one of her surgeons used to do them in London or somewhere else."

"Did you get a name?"

"No, I think Michael something, but I'm not sure."

"If this guy was experienced and I don't know him, so I have no idea, and he offered to do it at Christmas, would you let him?"

"Only if you agreed to it. I'd have it done this afternoon if I could."

"What if I said no?"

"I'd be sad about it but respect your advice."

"You'd have to find a second psychiatrist or psychologist to agree to the referral."

"I know."

"It would be awfully short, what three or four months maximum."

"Yes I know. I didn't think you would wear it."

"Have I said no?"

"Not yet but I suspect you will."

"Well you may be right, or you could be wrong."

"What?"

"If I did refer you and you subsequently regretted the surgery, then I could be in a difficult position."

"I don't think I would."

"You're not certain, then?"

"Oh I am certain I was meant to be female, so in that regard getting shot of some superfluous skin, doesn't worry me. However, if I was left incontinent or in pain after surgery, I could regret it then."

"I see. Would you like sex with Simon?"

"I would love to have sex with Simon, when he's recovered."

"Of course, he was shot."

"Yes, he's getting there."

"Good. So why can't you have sex now?"

"Because he's been injured."

"When he heals."

"I don't want sex with him as I am."

"I'm sure you could improvise."

"Look, I've had a little, heavy petting that sort of thing but not penetrative sex."

"Why not, you love him and fancy him, don't you?"

"Because I want him to make love to me as a woman, not just have sex. Besides, I'm not sure I want something shoved up there."

"Why not, lots of woman do it."

"Am I not allowed to choose what I want?"

"Of course you are, it's very important that you do. I'm just surprised you haven't tried it."

"I'm not gay." I blushed.

"You sure?"

"Yes, I don't fancy women." I knew that I had stepped outside her line of questioning and it was deliberate. I watched her face, there was the mental slap I gave her, then her eyes crinkled and so did the corners of her mouth, then she roared with laughter.

"Very good," she said, "I suppose I asked for that."

I simply shrugged my shoulders.

"Okay, I need to know more about this surgeon, ask Stella to give me a ring. I also need to think who I can refer you too for a second opinion."

"You mean you might go with Christmas? Wow, what a present that would be!" I almost danced I felt so boosted.

"Don't get your hopes up too high, we are sailing very close to the wind here and I need some support before I yay or nay it. I also won't refer you to someone who isn't going to do the best job possible, I want you to enjoy the rest of your life as a woman, not carry some awful mutilation because you were in a hurry."

"Thank you doctor, you are absolutely right."

"Christmas eh? Jesus, you'll get me struck off at this rate."

"Well don't do it then, forget it, I'll have to wait like everyone else."

"You would do that to save me any risk?"

"Yes, I would. You've been there for me so often, like today. I couldn't ask you to do anything that puts you at risk or makes you compromise your standards."

"This isn't just to make me feel better about things is it?"

"I feel sad you ask that, because I have never lied to you. You saved my life, you keep me alive. Without you I would be dead or much less happy. You mean a great deal to me Dr Thomas, I wouldn't endanger that for anything."

"Not even to feel complete in yourself?"

"Not even that."

"Okay, that means you have to wait then."

"Okay, I have to wait. I'll tell Stella."

"Is there anything else?"

"Yes, it's got out at the university and two students who previously made overtures to me, confronted me in the street and it got a bit ugly."

"Did they threaten you?"

"Not quite although the one made a grab for my balls, except he couldn't find them, which confused him."

"Where are they then?"

"Pushed up inside."

"Is that wise, it can lead to cancer of the testes?"

"Does it matter, a year or so and they'll be gone anyway and good riddance."

"I see. Okay Cathy, I want to see you next week, can you make an appointment with reception."

"Okay Dr Thomas, thanks for coming in early to see me."

"That's okay."

"Can you accept this as a thank you." I handed her bottle of good red wine.

"Bribery and corruption eh?" she smiled.

"No a small token of my respect for you and what you do for me."

"Thank you young lady, and congratulations on your engagement, I hope it brings you all the happiness you deserve."

"Can I hug you doctor?"

"If you want." I did, and I did.

I made another appointment for the next monday, I could see her first thing before I went into uni and after seeing Simon. Well it seemed like a good idea at the time. I don't know why she wanted to see me in a week, maybe it was because I looked like shit or about the letters. Even though I had learned I had to wait for a year for surgery, I had to accept her advice, I loved the woman, she was like an informal mother.

I went to see the plod. The DC I'd seen before wasn't there and instead I saw a young woman, she went and got the file. "We sent them down for examination, it's copier paper could have come from anywhere and the print is an inkjet printer. The only fingerprints on it are yours and we suspect another woman."

"Oh shit, I showed them to Stella, my fiance's sister."

"Well if we had her prints it would confirm or deny that. I see you have another."

"Yes, I got it yesterday although I haven't been home for a week." I handed it to her.

"They seem to be increasingly confrontational."

"That was what my consultant said."

"Consultant?"

"Yeah, my shrink. When you transition you have to be supervised by a shrink, to make sure you aren't crazy."

"Well I suppose it's a huge change to make, I think you're very brave, you're also very pretty for someone who was supposed to be a man. Looks like you made the right choice. You're engaged then?"

"Yeah, to a wonderful man."

"What's his name?"

"Do you have to have that?"

"Are you ashamed of it?"

"No of course not, he's Simon Cameron."

"Not the Simon Cameron?"

"What do you mean, 'the Simon Cameron'." I asked.

"The banker's son, Lord Stanegate or whatever."

"Stanebury."

"It is, isn't it?"

"Yes," I blushed, thinking that I should have refused to tell her.

"Well, well."

"Do you know him then?"

"No, but I've met his dad a couple of times, professionally of course, what a sweet talker he is."

"Yes, he is a bit of a smoothie."

She gave me a very knowing look, then smiled. "Okay, these couldn't be coming from a jealous ex girlfriend of Simon?"

"I can't see how, because they started before he knew."

"So let me get this straight, he went out with you not knowing about your history?"

"He didn't know I was transsexual, no."

"That doesn't exclude someone else knowing, just because he didn't."

"No, that's true, his sister knew."

"So could she have sent them?"

"I very much doubt it, she is like a sister to me, and I hope I am to her."

"Sisters can do horrible things to each other too, perhaps she's jealous of you?"

"I can't believe that. No not Stella, she's crazy in a nice sort of way, but not jealous. It was her who set me up with her brother in the first place. She's also been wanting me to marry him because we get on so well."

"Okay, well take care, anything suspicious call us. Don't try to handle it by yourself, this person is mean and has already broken several criminal laws by posting threatening and offensive items through the Royal Mail. He or she is a criminal, and we don't like criminals walking about annoying people."

"What even people like me?"

"I'm not sure what makes you different from any other young woman who's received threatening letters, except the Cameron's money could make life difficult for whoever when we catch them."

"In what way?"

"You could sue them for damages."

"I think I'd just be happy to know there wouldn't be anymore of them, it's quite upsetting for me to open my mailbox these days."

"Well, we shall do our best to help you achieve that end."

"Thanks," I said and shook hands with DC Sheila Scott.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Keep the comments coming, they brighten up my sad existence! 8)

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun

I wonder what Stella's reaction will be to no Christmas Pressent (until she changes her mind again)... I don't think Simon was expecting such a present... Who knows.

Thanks.

This is a test

I'm betting the doctor told her to wait to see what her reaction would be. I think Cathy's acceptance of the decision without arguing may have decided the good doctor to look into who this surgeon is with an eye to green-lighting things if everything is on the up and up. That's why she asked Cathy to come back in a week.

As for the letters, my guess is the professor's secretary, she's been much too nice.

Karen J.

PS: Don't give me that "sad existence" line, sis. If you don't behave I shall have a word with Bonzi! ;)

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Re: This is a test...

Karen, I had that thought about the Doctor. In her shoes, I'd really like to check folks out a LOT before considering things. It also gives her time to think about where she beleives Cathy is - and to ask the question again the following week to see if Cathy still feals the same.

As to the letters... I really don't know who... I just wish whoever it is would get caught!

Phran

Ditto on the Secretary

Karen,

my thoughts exactly on it beign a test and on the poison-pen being the secretary. The secretary was among the first to know, either that or some unknown friend of the secretary she stupidly blabbed to. Oooh, is anyone at the University a member of her Dad's crackpot hate-preaching church?

Such a person is in the perfect position to feed the *grapevine*. The only question is did the secretary know about the Mercedies and her visiting her Dad in the hospital? Cathy had to be followed for a note to be on that car at the hospital unless it is Simon's siter and she is a psycho? You know, get the heir to the title umbroiled in a nasty public scandal then she steps in and saves the family title after brother is purswaded to renounce it.

Thank god the doctor is turning up the heat with the police, Cathy was risking mutilation or death with her sit back and wait attitude to the letters.

Now I'm confusing myself.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. What are common pub dishes in Wales and is there a prefered Welsh beer or distilled beverage? IE What would the barmaid recommend if a stranger came into the place and asked nicely the maid's oppinion on the matter? I am researching something for my Timeout serial. I doubt if this is covered in Wikipedia.

P.P.S. Doctors and Detectives? "Let's play Doctors and Nursies," as the great Bluebottle once said on the Goon Show.

John in Wauwatosa

Welsh Pub Dishes .....

....include, Coq-au-vin, Boeuf Wellington, Irish stew, Lancashire Hot Pot, Sweet & Sour Pork, and Madras Curry with pilau rice.

On the bright side, there is a very good Welsh beer called 'The Reverend James' although I am told that it is but a shadow of its former self now being produced by a big brewing group. It is still worth drinking though.

I have read that the Welsh also used to produce whisky. This is in the past though as apparently many of them left for the USA, allegedly bowing to public pressure following the introduction of various Hygiene and Health & Safety regulations. There they found a haven and much to everyone's surprise, a market. A certain Jack Daniels was amongst their number.

Or so I have read.

If I were you I would stick to 'The Reverend James'.

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Lost in translation

There's a story from my home village about two French tourists who sauntered into a local pub and asked the barmaid for 'deux pastis'... after some confusion they pointed at a bottle of Pernod and repeated 'deux pastis'. Unfortunately said bottle stood next to the bar snacks tray which confused the situation even more when the barmaid remembered from her schooldays that 'deux' meant 'two'. So it's said she stacked up quite a lot of pastries on the bar before someone else came to the aid of the exasperated tourists.

It's probably apocryphal but knowing Penclawdd it may very well be true (think Brigadoon, on the coast, with more drunks) :)

ooh just saw that 'Irish stew' there... we Welsh take our stews seriously (even more so than cheese on toast) and a Welsh pub that served Irish stew in favour of cawl cenin would bring down the wrath of the local cottage burners.

Re: Lost in translation

Ceri,

I was thinking the same thing; but, then again, it would seem to me that many, if not most, of the dishes the original poster offered were something more appropriate to restaurants themed for locales outside the boundaries of Wales. I would imagine your leek soup or stew (the cawl cennin you suggested) would most likely serve it up with a plate of bread and cheese. I also imagine most Welsh pubs, as is the case with their English counterparts, offer up a delicious dish of fish and chips!

I've never been to your side of The Pond; but I have spent more than one pleasant evening dining in authentic English pubs (and a couple of Irish pubs, for that matter) here in the States. One particular English pub in Las Vegas, NV is called the Crown And Anchor. In addition to great beer battered fish and chips (made fresh to order), they also feature a really nice bangers and mash, a delicious chicken curry, Cornish pastie, or either a steak and mushroom or steak and kidney pie. On Sundays from noon to 10 PM, you can get your choice of roast beef or lamb with a large Yorkshire pudding! In addition, you can usually catch one (or more) football (soccer) matches on the TVs throughout the bar area, with an emphasis on Premier League, UEFA and World Cup matches (some games require a cover charge; and it is recommended you get there early for the big matches, as the place is usually SRO for them).

Jenny

Look yer butt!

Angharad's picture

Don't forget Brain's brewery, sponsors of the WRU team shirts, which is still thriving. I suspect there is one at Swansea too, but can't think of the name, plus a host of small breweries supporting Camra pubs (Campaign for real ale).

What they eat in pubs will depend upon where they go, themed 'Welshness' of Cardiff Bay at rip off prices, or cockroach salad in Roath or Splott (should bring the wrath of my countrymen down on me - but I'm from Llandaff - stuck up, cow!).

hugs,

Angharad.

Angharad

Welsh pubs

Common pub dishes in Wales are the same as common pub dishes over the border in England; i.e. it depends on the pub. It might belong to a horrible chain and serve a micro-waved family menu with kids' meals desigend by a psychopath who obviously wanted to microwave the kids, it might be a back-street boozer offerong no more than a range of crisps (what you North Americans call chips) in exciting synthetic flavours like prawn cocktail or chesse and onion, and possibly pickled eggs, or you might strike lucky and find somewhere that is really good - in which case the food's probably bought very locally and varies according to the season.
As for drink; there is only one (legal) distillery in Wales, the Penderyn, which makes one cask a day (welsh-whisky.co.uk), so most spirit drinkers will have Scotch, vodka, or gin. If young and foolish they will drink alcopops which wil make them old and even more foolish very quickly. Most Welsh (and English, Scottish and Irish) beer drinkers have succumbed to the advertising campaigns of the big companies who like to produce a consistent cheap and gassy lager which is nothing like the original Pilsner. If you can get hold of Czech Budweiser (Budvar) in Wauwatosa and compare it to American Bud you'll understand what I mean. It's only good for getting drunk/being ill on. However there are some smaller breweries which make some really good beer; among them Bragdy Mws Piws - The Purple Moose Brewery of Porthmadog, Gwynedd, (www.purplemoose.co.uk) which IMHO has the best name of any British or Irish brewery. Porthmadog is allegedly the village from which the alleged Prince Madoc sailed to "discover" North America in the middle ages.
HTH,
Rod

Sinisterpenguin

Let me light you up!

Angharad

I love this story. Thank you much for sticking with it.

I work as electrician, let me turn the lights ON!

Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

Boring, Clueless, Plotless, and Pointless

My goodness, Girl! Talk about hiding your lamp under a bushel -- what choices for keywords! Anyway, I would say that the story is zero for four, meaning it doesn't seem to conform to any of those particular keywords.

My main complaint about this episode is your missed opportunity on the chapter-number-banter above the title. Weren't you the one throwing old-school Welsh numbers at us at one point? Well, I believe those Welsh numbers are based on twenties. (There's some similar stuff in French, although not consistently. Like, the word for "eighty" is "four twenties", and for "seventy" it's "three twenties and ten.") This chapter should have been "seven twenties", maybe even in Welsh. (Personally, I'm partial myself to binary. It makes everything look so... long. Chapter 10100000 binary.)

Hmmmmmm Binary?

Don't you mean the following?

you had 10100000 which = 128 + 32 = 160 base 10

However (140 base 10) = 140 - 128 = 12 - 8 = 4 - 4 = 0 so the correct answer is 10001100 base 2 or binary

in octal it would (140 base 8) = 001 100 000 = 140 base 8 = 64 + 32 = 96 base 10

in hex it would (140 base 16 )= 0001 0100 0000 = 140 base 16 = 256 + 64 = 320 base 10

Ok so much for this drival.

Angharad, nice play with the female detective, it sounds like they may actually get off their duff and actually do something about the poison pen letters now that the PC knows who the fiance is, and knows they better do something before the aristocrats get upset and comes down on them hard for not taking it seriously.

Stella sending poison pen letters? Hmmm that would be an insane twist wouldn't it? Something Angharad could entertain and drive us up a tree with.

Oh well, we will just have to wait and see. Still wondering about the camera and what it is showing. Still sitting in the post box isn't it? How long do the batteries survive in it?

Looking forward to the next installation.
Hugs
Joni W

Camera no good

After the second letter, when the camera Cathy had installed was detected and re-aimed, the subsequent letters have been sent via the post, so the camera is not doing any good. OTOH, this makes sending the letters a bigger crime than before. I know that using the U.S. Postal Service to send threats is a federal crime here in the U.S. and is taken very seriously; and from comments in the story it appears the same is true in the U.K. Having dealt with a couple of U.S. Postal Inspectors on the occasion of somebody being mailed a bomb, I can tell you the USPS Inspectors (who have the equivalent authority to a U.S. Marshall) do their work with passion and dedication. I would not want to have them on my case! I hope Cathy can find their equivalents.

BTW, the fact that the camera she planted was so quickly detected and defeated strongly suggests that the culprit or culprits are familiar with her tools of the trade, so is likely to be somebody from her department at the university.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Off By Twenty

What an irony! I should have stuck to 20's.

Welsh numbers....

Angharad's picture

It would have been cant ar deugain, I think. Doubtless someone will tell me I'm wrong.

cofleidiadau,

Angharad.

Angharad

Hiding her light…

Maybe Angharad hides her light under her bustle! At least that would keep her bum warm in this chilly weather.

Gabi
(with rosy cheeks)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Long enough...

Angharad's picture

....to run to the end of the list of episodes, thought it might be, took me two& half hours to write.

Angharad

Off and running

It is remarkable how reading a simple story can become a life-daily commitment. When I have to miss a day of this major effort, I am deeply chagrined. I want to keep up because you are working so hard to produce this delightful piece.
Finally, the direction of the plot has changed. Now Cathy is going to find pictures of herself everywhere she goes. I know how it is when a picture is used for a publication and it turns up in some of the wierdest places. Strangest was in a restaurant in a foreign country.
Anyway, everything is moving at once. Cathy is now engaged, her big project is under way she has class to teach, and a father to tend. My! MY! My! She is a busy girl. She needs be off and running merely to keep up with her commitments.

a shrink in need is a shrink indeed

Agn, you don't appear to have a sad existence, Just read the comments, all made by friends. What you need is a Morgan Horse, a loving breed. I used to know the president of the English Morgan Horse Assn. On a trip here she fell in love With my stallion. This would also cure any abundance of cash ! Could hook you up with her. Wonderful byplay with the shrink. I think in a week Cath may get the OK??

Cefin