Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1763

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1763
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“You be careful, won’t you?”

“Of course we will.”

“Good bye, darling, you all behave for your grandparents.”

“We will, bye, Mummy.”

Trish ended the Skype call, and I took a sip of tea only to realise it had gone cold. I’d spoken to all of them. It appeared they were having a whale of a time and today they were going sailing. Henry had a friend who had a boat.

Boat–ha ha–it was an ocean going cabin cruiser thing with half a dozen bedrooms, yeah bedrooms not berths. It looked about one step down from the Queen Elizabeth and you didn’t so much sail it as drive it. I couldn’t see a helipad on it, but it wouldn’t have surprised me.

Henry said they were going to cruise over to Mallorca, the largest of the Balearics and where team Sky and several others go for winter training as it has a couple of mountains they can practice on.

I explained we were going to watch the end of the TdF and they all shouted, “Come on, Cav.” I explained it was Wiggo who was going to win it if he could do a reasonable time trial, but they weren’t really interested.

Suddenly, it was time to pack and I had to rush upstairs and make final adjustments to my suitcase–one of those wardrobes on wheels that Simon complains about. I had far too many clothes but I didn’t care, we were going by private jet. That sounds as if I was finally taking to the ostentatiously wealthy lifestyle of senior banker’s wives. I wasn’t.

Like Henry knowing someone with a large motor cruiser, Si knew someone who was flying to Paris for the weekend and coming back on Monday morning. It so happened he had a couple of spare seats and as we weren’t international criminals–well Si might be, or the bank, we were able to register as passengers and grab a lift.

The nicest thing was we drove to the airport an hour before the flight was due to go and the tiny customs post checked us through in no time. I did offer to open my case but the customs man joked he’d look on the way back as it was big enough for three illegal immigrants. If it was they’d have to be pygmies and stacked on top of each other.

Simon introduced me to Warwick Wimsloe and his girlfriend Vanessa Ventura, who was a glamour puss, footballer’s wife type. She was wearing a designer trouser suit and matching cleavage, strutting about the place in five inch stilettos. I felt quite drab by comparison, no makeup, hair in a ponytail and wearing jeans and trainers–okay, my trainers were Reeboks but hardly Karl Lagerfeld.

She batted an enhanced set of eyelashes at Simon offering him, ‘drinky-poos’, while I sat and fretted. I wondered if she was a glamour model or aspiring actress–she certainly wasn’t an academic.

“What did you think of the massacre at the Denver showing of Batman?” I asked her reading about it in the Guardian I’d brought with me.

“Oh, I suppose these Americans will kill to get tickets for these things,” she said dismissively and I felt I wanted to nail her up by her false eyelashes.

“No, some gunman went into the cinema and shot dead a dozen people and injured another twenty or thirty.”

“Oh, did they? Have you tried Jimmy Choos?”

I knew what she meant, she was referring to her designer ankle breakers but I played stupid. “No, I never eat between meals.”

“Ha ha,” she actually laughed at my insult. “No, my shoes, silly–they’re Jimmy Choos.”

“Oh those, I thought you were talking about some sort of sweetie. A Jimmy Chew.” I spelt it out for her and she then had to think about it before she could get the joke. Whatever she had laughed at before left me completely mystified.

To her credit she could walk on them, and she took one off and passed it over to me to see. Okay, it was elegant and so on, but pillar box red FM-pumps, not really my style.

“You’ll have to buy her some, Simie-poos, then she wouldn’t look so dowdy.”

“Vanessa, we’re going to watch a bike race, not strut a catwalk,” I said angrily.

“Oh,” she said putting a long red nail to her mouth, “is your son racing in it at school?”

“No–we’re going to watch the Tour de France.”

“Is that bike race, I thought it was a charabanc holiday?”

Warwick rolled his eyes, “Cathy is into bike racing.”

“Oh,” she replied. I was obviously now beneath her interest and she sat down and began flicking through a glossy magazine.

Simon winked at me, “If we bump into the Beckhams, we’ll say hello for you,” he said to Vanessa.

“You know the Beckhams?” she squeaked, “I’ve always wanted to meet them.”

“Well David’s involved with the Olympics but he said he’d try to catch Bradley in Paris,” Simon continued lying through his teeth.

“Who’s Bradley?” she asked, but then she thought the TdF was a coach trip.

“Bradley Wiggins, my dear,” said Warwick, adding, “he’s the cyclist leading the race.”

“Oh,” she said. I could only assume she was very good in bed or something because it wasn’t for conversation that I presumed Warwick kept her around.

“So are you riding a bike in this race?” she said to me just before the aircraft banked to land near Paris.

“No, I’m simply going to watch, like most of Paris will.”

“What for?” she looked genuinely bewildered.

“It’s the biggest bike race in the world, it’s the largest annual sporting event in the world and a British rider is going to win it, and possibly another is going to win the stage tomorrow in the sprint.”

At this her brain went into meltdown and she giggled and finished her drink. I was really glad when we got off the plane and found our taxi.

“So what did you think of Vanessa, then?” asked Simon smirking.

“All her brains were in her chest,” I said contemptuously.

“Ah, but she’s apparently very flexible and double jointed.”

“So?”

“Think Kama Sutra, babes, Kama Sutra.”

“Too much information–did Warwick tell you that?” I added after a pause.

“Yeah, we were at a meeting together last week and I mentioned you’d been ill and we’d had to cancel our trip to France. He told me he was flying over to play golf or something and he had some spare seats if you improved, which was what got me thinking about seeing the last stage.”

“Well except for Miss Silicone Boobs, I’m glad you did.”

“She won’t be flying back with us, she’ll be going on to his chateau in the Loire Valley.”

“What does he do then?”

“He owns an oil prospecting company, he’s one of our best clients.”

“Wow, someone richer than you,” I teased.

“Dunno, he just likes to spend it, I tend to save mine–except you keep spending it.”

“Typical Scot, short arms and deep sporran.”

“If I’ve a deep sporran, it’s to keep wee Simon warm,” he winked, “besides, there’s anither porridge eater, nae sae fa’ awa’.” He prodded me as he spoke and we both fell about laughing.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1763

Glad to see Cathy and Simon having fun.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The trials of woamankind

Well Lady Catherine has much more patience than I do. I would have been tempted to turn the trollop's head backward. :)

Snark, snark.

Gwendolyn

You can't make them up.

Yep, another bimbo, you just can't make them up; they actually exist. Thick as two short planks but men seem to find them irresistable that is until the boobs sag etc.

Mind you Cathy, don't knock 5, 6 or even 7" heels. They're just so much fun! fun! fun!

Cathy's going to enjoy Paris though 'cos the final sprint down the Champs' in Paris is usually a damned good bit of entertainment. Go for it Cav!

Good chapter Ang.

Still lovin' it.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Cathy did a good job of

conversing with Vanessa without blowing up. Is there a blue-light treatment for lack for brain power? (or perhaps inability or unwillingness to use the existing brain power)

Love the names.

Warwick Wimsloe and Vanessa Ventura, indeed! Obviously noms de guerre and they're clearly up to no good. Make sure there're no carpet tacks in their luggage.

My dream is to see the Maillot Jaune lead out the World Champion tomorrow to his 4th last stage victory on the trot. It'd cheer Cathy up no end as well.

Thanks, Ang

Robi

TdF

Apparently we've not only not won the TdF in the previous 98 years of its history, but never had a podium place either - the best we've done in previous years is fourth.

So to have the possibility of first and second spots simultaneously (Wiggo and Froomey - the latter coined during the BBC live text coverage), together with a third rider (Cav) being first over the line for the fourth consecutive year - wow!

No doubt if it does happen it will cheer Cathy up - and I imagine also a certain resident of Dorset who shares her house with a pair of cats :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

And it happened

so i think we can be pretty certain that the lady in Dorset you mentioned is going to be in a party mood tonight :-)

Given we have never won the TDF before. I wonder if we might have another cycling knight before the year is out? Sir Bradley Wiggins does have a certain ring about it and its no less than he deserves after what he has done for British cycling over the years...

Kirri

Ang, where do you come up with stuff like this?

I quote,

>>
She was wearing a designer trouser suit and matching cleavage,...
>>

I have GOT to steal... be inspired by this.

Describes a certain heroine of mine to a *T*.

Mind you she is not a bimbo. Only plays one when necessary. Though she DOES have most of the physical requirements.

Hum, perhaps bimbos are explained by the law of the conservation of mass and energy.

With all that mass and energy going into an incredible figure that leaves very little left for brains.

Applies to politicians as well.

Wiggo and co doing so well in the TDF makes me want to get my old Mercian touring bike out of storage, tuned up and out in the wild world again. Double butted Reynolds 531 Manganese Molybdenum steel tubing.

YES I did say steel.

At least by mountain bike is aluminum -- Cannondale. Hey, for a college kid on a budget in the mid 70s and mid/late 80s that WAS pretty good.

A delight these last few chapters, Ang.

Though the rest of this series is a total bore.

-- GRIN -- -- snicker -- -- guffaw --

-- guffaw??? --

John safely across *the pond* in Wauwatosa where a certain crazed bicycle mad writer can't get to him. Mwah ha ha ha ha!

John in Wauwatosa

Ah, politicians

the best explanation I ever heard came from and old movie. Something about Hunt for Red October. Remember the scene in the conference room where the Security Secretary is explaining them?

Bike 1763

Great chapter. Loved the interplay and the chews. Are they a local snack, since we don't have that brand here

Great Episode

This was another lovely episode Angharad. I do think Cathy has either not fully recovered ,or is mellowing in late twenties.
To put up with the bimbo without tripping her up as they descended from the plane shows great self-control.

Thank you for keeping this lovely story going.

Love to All

Anne G.