Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1712

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1712
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“D’you normally sleep in a nightdress?” I asked Sam, my reason being, if she did, then any old one would do, if she didn’t, I would loan her a nicer one–one of mine.

“I wish, I’m just holding my head above the void–what with course fees and rent, I don’t have much to spend on luxuries. When I buy clothes, they’re often girl’s ones, but unisex, my jeans are girl’s ones.”

“Yes, I’d noticed.” Well I had.

In the guest bathroom is a cupboard with half a dozen new toothbrushes and other toiletries which guests or family can share. I pointed out the various powders and creams, deodorants–roll on and spray, she could use. I handed her some towels and the toothbrush, still in its wrapping.

“Your bedroom is through here.” I opened the door and Julie was putting the duvet back on the bed.

“What a lovely room,” commented Sam as she looked around. The wardrobe had mirror doors, so she’d be able to look at herself to her heart’s content–the change in appearance can be a bit much to cope with in company, so I suspect she’d be late up and missing in class tomorrow. I know I shouldn’t encourage truancy, but were I in her position, I doubt I’d make it to classes the next day.

In theory, I suspect with a bit of string pulling, she could return to classes next week as Sam the girl, but would that be working to my agenda or hers? You have to be ready and you have to be in control of much as you can be, or trust the person who is. She hardly knows me, and although I might be like her fairy godmother, I might be anything but for all she knows. Plus, she is so high at the moment, she might well get altitude sickness.

While she was chatting with Julie–who has to go to work regardless of excitement–I went and found a nightie I’d bought before the breast feeding. It wouldn’t fit me now, my breasts are too big, so I’m unlikely to ever wear it again, or for the first time for that matter. I handed it to Sam, who thought t was wonderful–it was satin and lace and bit hyper feminine, probably exactly how she feels just now.
I noticed it was nearly midnight, and I reminded Julie she had work in the morning. I said nothing to Sam except to wish her good night. I left them chattering.

Downstairs, I made myself a milky drink–I felt a bit wound up as well–I offered one to Si, but he’d just had a glass of wine. I tidied the kitchen while I sipped my drink and laid the table for breakfast–it saves a few minutes.

A little later in bed, Simon asked me about Sam. “I don’t know much more than you. She reminds me of my situation a million years ago.”

“What did you have in mind?” he asked.

“I don’t know–she’s overwhelmed at the moment–she’s found a family of acceptors and someone who’s been through it, so she’ll have loads of questions to ask herself and Julie. I think she needs a haven where she can explore her feelings and do some thinking about what she does next.”

“So you’re planning to let her stay here for a bit?”

“I hadn’t decided–the problem here is we’re perhaps too supportive, which might lull her into a false sense of security or encourage her to go faster than she’s capable of coping with. She has to work to her own agenda not someone else’s.

“I’d happily let her stay a few days or come at weekends to practice her girly skills, providing the others are happy. She also needs to acquire a wardrobe if she is planning to transition.”

“I see, so you’ll get caught for that, I suppose,” Si grumbled.

“Shall we say, I suspect Julie will probably take advantage of the situation and dump much of last year’s stuff for the new one.”

“Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak?”

“Sort of, but I need to keep Julie on board as Sam’s mentor.”

“So if Julie’s big sister; what does that make you–mother?”

“Could be, I suppose.”

“Cathy, you don’t have to adopt the whole world and heal its pain.”

“I’m not.”

“No, course not.”

“Anyway, I need to sleep–I’m teaching tomorrow but might take an early finish given the work I’ve done today–in which case, I might take madam shopping.”

“Is there any might about it?”

“Yes of course there is, she might not want to do so–it’s all about how comfortable she is.”

“She looked fine to me.”

“So why did she throw up, then?”

“Did she? Um, your cooking?”

“I didn’t cook the pizza, remember?”

“Oh yeah–well then, fright?”

“I’d have accepted nerves.”

“Yeah, okay–see how she is tomorrow then.”

“I was lying on my side with my eyes closed and too tired to answer him. He gave up a moment later and settled down to read, abandoning it two minutes later.

I slept fitfully, but managed to rise on time, shower and dry myself; shower the girls, call Danny and Julie, only to learn Julie was in the shower already–I suspect she’d be going to blow Sam off this morning–um–I mean blow her away, she’ll be dressed to the nines with high heels and best dress and very careful makeup.

I dried the girl’s hair and put all three of them in French plaits, I left them to dress while I did the same myself adding just enough makeup to make me look a little better–it’s difficult to teach with a bag over one’s head.

Julie certainly upped the ante, she was exactly as I’d suspected. However, she can’t compete with my class of designer clothes–so the YSL suit came out again with the navy heels (sounds like US special services).

Julie grumbled but I reminded her I was teaching and I always dressed up to do so. There was no sign of Sam and suddenly we both panicked, leaving the kids to feed themselves we both ran up the stairs and drummed on her door.

She was asleep so we left her in peace and I asked Jacquie to tell her to stay for the day if she wanted, I’d be back as soon as I could.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
251 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting at the end

Seems like Julie was just as concerned as Cathy when Sam didn't show for breakfast. Hope this new stray does well in the company of the Camerons. Looking forward to her meeting the younger ones, especially Trish.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1712

The new girl certainly does have plenty of new sisters, Aunties, Uncle, Gramps, and Mummy. Wonder what Danny will thiunk about her

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

To large of a brood already

... though she could help with childcare I guess to work off her board. No adopting though. I love the good natured mother daughter competition at the end.

Kim

Sam's decision

should be her own, with guidance of whatever knowledge she is in need of. In the meantime, she is in a family that understands what she is going thru far more than she realizes. Good Luck Sam!

+VOTE+ +VOTE+

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

I really hope this works out well,

Cathy and her family have a lot to offer someone like Sam. Name can change when you starting out, wonder if Samantha has decided on hers for good?