Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1697

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1697
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Simon made so much din getting undressed and ready for bed that he woke me up, I felt irritated but needed a wee, so I went to the bathroom and back without speaking to him.

“An’ I love you too,” he quipped at me.

“You woke me up,” I complained.

“Sorry, but if you went for a pee you must have been close to waking up anyway.”

I wasn’t alert enough to argue and really all I wanted to do was return to my slumbers, he of course wanted to talk. “I’ve had a godawful day, and I need to sleep.” I turned over away from him.

“Sorry for breathing,” he sighed.

“I raised a hand with my middle finger up,” the cyclists salute to most motorists.

“Charming—well go to flippin’ sleep then.” He sounded as irritated as I was. He read for a while but the light didn’t stop me from sleeping, I was exhausted and felt as if about three weeks sleep was needed to get me back to normal.

When I woke the next morning, he’d gone off to work, presumably his watch alarm woke him, it certainly didn’t wake me. I woke up feeling as tired as I’d been when I went to bed and had probably had too much sleep—some days you can’t win.

I staggered into the shower while various members of the Today programme muttered about the fact that some election in France had deposed the existing president—the pygmy who was married to the seven foot tall model who fancied herself as a singer. I couldn’t say that I was especially worried, because I doubted that a change of government in a foreign country was going to affect my life, however, as I showered I began to see how it could by affecting the stability of the euro and that could affect the bank as well as British jobs and exports.

As I dried my hair, I heard that Greece had also had an election and it was unlikely anyone would be able to form a government there, more problems for the euro—just what Simon didn’t need.

I got myself dressed and sorted my hair—I put it up this time, threw on a bit of makeup and perfume and got the girls up, then called Danny and Julie. Julie would call Jacquie if she didn’t hear me.

I supervised the girls showers and dried and combed their hair, each was put into a ponytail and sent off to dress. By the time they came downstairs I had the first lot of toast done and a cuppa made.

I dropped them off in school and went to the university. I had more tutorials today, of the group variety. I’d use the Spike entrance as a way to lift the atmosphere at the end. It worked a treat, and it was useful that Spike was used to being handled because several wanted to hold her.

The same grumbles had arisen, so I was beginning to think they were likely to be right across the course as I’d intimated to Tom yesterday. Quite what we did about it, I wasn’t sure. I’d arranged a meeting with all the tutors and the administration to discuss the problem and had invited Tom as well. The list was slightly longer than it had been but the same things came up time and again—they wanted me as their teacher for all modules, and for all the fieldwork, despite the other field leaders being better qualified in their own environments. I was a reasonable all-rounder in most habitats but would soon be out of my depth in a marine environment, even a littoral one was challenging for me—the obvious shellfish like whelks or limpets and the odd small fish or sea anemone, I could identify and talk about a little. The only thing I was reasonable at was the bird life, being a lifetime birdwatcher, and even then gulls in eclipse plumage confused me, and some waders can be awkward in winter plumage—although a few of them we don’t usually see on the coast in their breeding duds because they’re up in the hills.

As for mammals on the seashore, rats, possibly a seal or two and washed up corpses of porpoises and dolphins—usually the former, which are often killed by the dolphins, about which people have the most ridiculous anthropomorphic ideas.

I think I mentioned the porpoise which turned up in someone’s garden on Portland, presumably put there as a practical and smelly joke—the only thing we know is it didn’t swim there.

I remember being part of a group sent out by Sussex university to collect one or two corpses of porpoises from a beach. We were sent in a pickup to pick them up—the smell wasn’t very nice, especially when we did pick them up and carry them to the truck.

The post mortems were inconclusive but tended to suggest the cause of death was drowning—as they’re mammals, which is easy to forget—we forget they can’t breathe in water but have adapted to coping with taking deep breaths which they can hold for several minutes, probably longer: but they’re not fish and so need to find air every so often to live. Otherwise they are very well adapted to a marine environment and deep water.

We still don’t know what causes mass strandings of small whales or dolphins but we do know that the distress calls of one will attract others and that they are adapted to calling through water. Some suggest sonar used by various navies and other boats confuses them; another is some disease of the balance organ in the ear or generalised sickness possibly made worse by pollutants which we dump in the seas and oceans by the billions of tons every day. Seems absurd that a clever ape can destroy these princes of the ocean by accident as well as the deliberate slaughter in Japan each year, but then I consider any culture which still does whaling is pretty barbarous—especially as they deliberately lie about it—for research purposes—my arse. Most of it is sold for human consumption perhaps by the same people who buy dirty knickers from vending machines.

I consulted my list, and wondered how easy it would be to respond to the student’s gripes—I couldn’t do everything—it wasn’t physically possible and even if it were, I wouldn’t want to do it. I have young children who come first, plus my survey work; so time wasn’t available to do much more than I already do. If I hadn’t made that bloody film I might not be in this mess. I had created my own nightmare.

Back in my office I had several pieces of post, mostly relating to the survey, one to doing a talk for charity, another was a circular about field equipment and the final one—I opened without looking at the envelope.

Dear Dr Cameron,

I’m writing to inform you that the position of advisor to the United Nations on matters of ecological importance and conservation of habitats has not been filled. We understand that you were interested initially but didn’t apply. We therefore felt it was appropriate that we write to you and inform you that the position is vacant.

If you would like to apply for this position please contact this office and submit your CV for an interview.

Oh boy, that’s all I need.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Too many plates.

Too many plates, not enough poles or jugglers. Cathy is definitely going to have to trim her sails.

Good chapter Ang but I didn't know Cathy'd got her doctorate or is that the UN's mistake.

Still lovin it.

Talking of bighting off more than you can chew ... I'm going to bed now, yesterday I did over seventy miles over the Rhigos and the Bwlch and down the Ronndha fawr via Merthyr in all that bloody awful rain. But it was sunny when I started despite the bloody awful forecast.

That's me on top of Rhigos (1700 feet,) eating an ice cream! Am I a twat or what? I'm still paying for it and my legs are slightly sore.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Dear Dr. ...

Didn't realize Cathy'd gotten her doctorate YET... Stuff keeps getting in her way.

As to the course... There's no reason they should bow to the student's desires. It's fairly common for one teacher in a course to be more popular than others... And, even if you get in a section with said instructor, there's no guarantee you'll have that one for the year.

Suspect Simon actually NEEDED to talk a bit... It's too bad Cathy was too tired to lend him an ear. (Too stressed over her problems, too.) Suspect another misunderstanding brewing here.

Thanks,
Annette

P.S. Just what she needs ANOTHER flaming torch to keep in the air (I figure they're more dangerous than balls for Cathy's juggling act)... One might wonder why nobody accepts the position, too...

UN position

Perhaps she could seek collaboration with Tom to try and persuade Gareth to apply. After all, he's been the field officer for Natural England, so presumably would be sufficiently qualified. He's also only got two children to look after and doesn't also hold down a lecturing position as well...

As for the university, it's still early in the course, so with the permission of the rest of the department, tell the students to either put up with only having Cathy for 1/3 of the course, or leave it. There are far too many students for her to teach and do fieldwork simultaneously, and insufficient hours in the week to cover them all sequentially. Even a first year undergrad should be able to realise that instant-grow clones (the only way Cathy could teach everyone simultaneously) are the realm of science fiction rather than science fact!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Just wondering.

"Most of it is sold for human consumption perhaps by the same people who buy dirty knickers from vending machines."

I've been trying to locate vending machines like that for years and failed miserably. Perhaps Cathy (or her creator) could advise me as to their whereabouts so that I can satisfy my abject perversion ;)

btw Portland is quite a small almost island (I once spent a week on a RN frigate in the harbour) and porpoises can jump. Could one have broken a world jumping record and landed in someone's garden? Either on porpoise or by accident? Just an idle thought.

Thanks Ang

Robi

Easy answer

Japan. Now, if you want ATM's that dispense one oz bars of 24 carat gold you need to go to Abu Dabi.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1697

At times, Simon and Cathy are on opposing wavelengths.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well it's the uni's problem really

She is already taking on way too many students as it is. The students should be warned too that if they don't like it, drop the course or if they keep the attitude, Cathy should take a walk.

The uni could be accused of a bait and switch and it sounds like pure greed on their part to even let that many students into her class. Tom is part of the problem too as he did not plan this well either.

If students not being taught by her drop the course, well tough.

Kim

Plate Spinning And "Dr" Campbell

Cathy, your schedule is way too full to accept the UN position, and really is too full to do much more than teach the ones in your group. If you can make time for the UN position, then forget the UN, and use the time instead to complete your PhD.
Why is Bonzi and Izzy making your life so full that you are unable to do much at all. BAD CATS!!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Cat Scratches

Now I hope that Bonzi and Izzy are not so PURR-terbed with me to somehow bite or scratch me so I come down with cat scratch fever.

Good Kitties!!!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Possible work-around, Ang... What if...

If Cathy came along the first time or two in the field with the other instructors, sort of introduced them. Once they realized SHE considers them better quallified than them maybe they will accept it, actuallly LIKE the instructors and Cathy can have a life!

As to the UN.... why no one else as she has so far NOT accepted and fairly strenuously too.

Tom again? Or the Cameron's pull?

Her heading that group would be HUGE positive publicity for the bank in these dark economic times.

OR the UN people want/need her poularity to counter the ultra conservatives and their anti environmeent, though they would call it pro business/pro jobs bias. One see's the glass half empty the other wnts to pave it over, build a mall and give the upper income huge tax breaks.

-- snicker --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

A Prime episode of Bike! As

A Prime episode of Bike!

As was 1693, and soon to come, 1699.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}