Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1625

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1625
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

‘Dear Jenny,

I was distressed to learn that you were trying to deceive me regarding the growing of Cannabis sativa plants in the garden despite the fact that we have several children here who might be influenced by your and Chris’s behaviour regarding use of the drug obtained from the plants.

I have sympathy with the fact that you felt a need to consume the cannabis for pain relief, although I think that matter has since resolved itself.

As you are obviously in accommodation which was designed for wheelchair users, there would be little to be gained in moving from your current flat. I am therefore withdrawing the offer of the stable as accommodation.

It grieves me to renege on my previous offer but your behaviour has caused me to feel my children might be at risk from you and your partner, hence my withdrawal of the offer.

Yours sincerely,

Cathy Cameron.’

I showed it to Tom, Simon and Stella, they all countersigned it unbidden by me. I had explained the situation as we had found it on our visit and Julie was able to confirm everything I said. I think she felt as saddened by our discoveries as I did. We’d both known Jenny in happier days when she’d been a wonderful help to us all and it was a real shame to see her as she was. However, the fact that she was using illegal drugs, albeit for a possible legitimate use, made me apprehensive and to feel threatened for the children and their safety is my first priority.

In mitigation, she was the one who broke the trust of our relationship and continued to do things which were deleterious to it, so I felt I had little option but to rescind the offer. When I spoke to Julie on the return journey, she agreed with me. I thought she’d be more sympathetic to Jenny’s use of cannabis but she was very anti drugs. Apparently a girl she knew in school nearly died from using ecstasy and after that Julie saw drugs as dangerous as well as undesirable. If I could get her to see alcohol in the same light, I’d feel much happier when she was out with her friends.

So much of the trouble with teenagers–fights, stabbings, assaults, vandalism and suicide–is made worse by alcohol. I’m not against people drinking but when they do so in excess it annoys me. To see footage of young women staggering down the high street in very few clothes and sky high heels absolutely sozzled, makes me scared and angry in the same breath.

They are at risk of anything from falling and injuring themselves to being assaulted or robbed. If they do it regularly, they risk liver disease or diabetes as well as the dangers of falling or being assaulted. That they wear so few clothes isn’t an issue to me, nor are the shoes–we should be able to wear what we like.

Tom pointed an article in the Guardian. “Hae ye read this?”

I felt like saying, how could I, you pinch it as soon as it comes through the letter box, I just pay for it. Instead I actually said, “Read what?”

He handed me the paper and I read the article, it was by Philippa Perry who’s a psychotherapist and wife of the eccentric artist Grayson Perry, who accepted some national prize for art in his best party frock. It certainly gave the tabloids a good laugh. I admit I was taken aback by his attire, but only because I’d never heard of him or his art–he made some wonderful pot or other–let alone his cross dressing as a little girl.

Then he did a documentary and showed himself in all his personae and I felt hed probably be a nice chap to know, very clever and talented and his dresses are all hand made for him. His dress maker was on Woman’s Hour and she was very interesting and was obviously very fond of her eccentric client. He also studied in Portsmouth, so that has to make him okay to this family.

It might sound as if I’m judgemental, I try not to be, but to do as the article in the Guardian suggested, give the children space to experiment in who they want to be. I thought about Billie and felt pleased that that was what I was trying to do for her. I wasn’t entirely convinced she was classic GID, but at least I was trying to let her decide what she was. I think she appreciated the opportunity and enjoyed the bit of girlhood she had.

I wiped a tear from eye and went down to my study and saved the article in a file I have for useful articles on transgender/gender identity. Most of those in the press are sensationalist or pure bilge if not bile. But this one was good and I could agree with nearly every word of it. I went onto the Guardian website but the comments and the battle being fought by intransigents on both sides made me ill. I wanted to comment that they were making emotional arguments and all had so many axes to grind the sparks were blinding them to the facts or truth, but I gave up after several attempts. It’s pointless commenting to those with closed minds and the more reasonable you become, the less they accept it. Humans are strange creatures, I almost wish at times I were a dormouse, I’d be hibernating now not seeing this bitching in my favourite newspaper.

How can anyone with a functioning synapse accuse the Guardian of an agenda to promote propaganda for transsexualism? It’s ludicrous, but that’s people for you.

Apparently we make most decisions on emotional input not logic, looking at the comments on the website sure made that a very safe assertion to make.

Trish came down to see me with Livvie. “Is Jenny not coming to stay with us again, Mummy?”

“Um, sorry, girls, but no, I decided I didn’t want her here anymore.”

“But we liked her, Mummy, she’s nice.”

“The Jenny we had living with us and working with us was a nice person. Sadly her accident changed her–no, she changed as she left us, she stole from me and she planned to deceive me again. She’s unreliable in every sense of the word and I need to trust anyone who works with us or lives in this house.”

“But we could cure that, Mummy. We could change her back to what she was before.”

“We don’t have the right to make people what we want them to be, we have to accept their right to be who they believe they are. In doing so, we sometimes have to agree to disagree. Jenny has chosen her path, it’s not one that’s congruent or appropriate here any longer. She is no longer welcome in this house.”

“Woss conguent?” asked Livvie.

“Like the school we go to,” suggested Trish almost making me laugh out loud.

“That’s a convent, silly,” chided Livvie.

“It means matching or agreeing with things. So people who come here to work or stay have to fit in with the rest of us. They have to accept the rules of the house, which are mostly fairly relaxed. They also have to accept that the safety of you children is a priority, if they don’t they may be described as incongruous or not congruent.”

“See, told you it wasn’t like our school–nah,” Livvie said and poked Trish before running off with Trish in hot pursuit.

I sat quietly and looked at the photo of all my children and wept for the one I still missed.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Grief as a human emotion

Grief is not finite, it has no pre-determined length. Time does not heal; it might dull the pain of grief but grief does not completely evaporate. Memories remain.

"I sat quietly and looked at the photo of all my children and wept for the one I still missed."

Thank you Ang.

Susie

Grief and the Passage of Time

Alas Susie,

you are so right about that. It is more than 40 years now since I held the lifeless body of my baby and asked "Why?" and I think of her every day still.., The next night I drove to the top of my nearest hill and shouted abuse at all the gods and goddesses people have made up since Ug the Caveman made up the first story using those funny noises we were learning to make. I resolved that if I was, contrary to all the evidence, wrong, and there was a deity and an afterlife, and I should ever meet it face to face, I would punch it on the nose ! A committee of one legged camels could have invented a better universe than this one !

Briar

I'm glad,

I'm glad cathy had the strength and conviction to do what she thought was right about Jenny.

One bit, twice shy; twice bit, thrice shy; thrice bit, forever shy.

So it used to be with me. If I gave any body a second chance, I would often give them a third chance but after that NO more.

Now I've grown old and cynical I don't give anybody a second chance. My loss I know but it takes too much effort to make allowances these days.

Very instructive chapter Angie. Thanks for the article in your blog tonight.

OXOXOX

Bev.

PS I don't drink Alcohol except for perhaps a bottle of wine once a year. As to the heels and the micro skirts, - well. I'm saying nothing.

bev_1.jpg

Strong?

I guess she is in so many ways, but doing that by letter was weak. Bit like dumping someone by SMS. You leave no opportunity for response.

Pretty sure..

kristina l s's picture

... that letter will be hand delivered. I'm not quite as 'hard' as Bev, you might get a second chance but certainly no more. I did have a bit of sympathy for Toms olde worlde ya word is ya bond type sentiment but I disagreed. I'm pretty sure now that 'our mate' Chris was at the least looking to set up a sideline little business. Might just be a pinch more drama to come from those two methinks.

Kris

Strong?

Strong or weak, it was Wise !

Briar

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1625

Cathy is grieving over Jenny's loss of innocence as well as the loss of Billie.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sadly people do change

Jenny has become a selfish self-centered brat who cares only for herself. Cathy has healed Jenny as much as allowed but what role Jenny will play in the world is yet to be determined. The blue light must have some reason to heal her so who knows what will happen.

Kim

Interesting

Interesting turn of events. Wasn't sure Cathy would turn Jenny away or not. Nice of the others to support her like that.

Nice comment to Trish - that we have to let people be who they decide they are, rather than as we would have them.

I do wonder what Jenny'll do now that her plan's mucked up.

Thanks,
Anne

If I were to guess wrt Jenny

I think she is well on her way to becoming a 'first class' grifter. She steals and now lies to get whatever she wants. I wouldn't worry about her, she seems able to take care of her selfish needs. Cathy claims she has healed to the point she can walk if she wants to so there is no justification.

What I am worried about is Jenny to gain this twisted sense of entitlement and feels justified somehow to try to find some way to hurt Cathy or her family. I would watch my back. That said, I am soooo glad Cathy send Jenny packing so to speak.

Kim

i totally agree

Kimmie with your thought's about Jenny, Given how much she knows about Cathy and her family, The last thing Cathy needs now is someone who seems to have a less than tenuous hold on reality possibly harbouring some thought of revenge against the Cameron family, Time to start watching your back Cathy!

Kirri

Good on you for hating weed.

There is quite a movement to get Gonsha legalised here in Oregon. And having broken my back in several places, I was in a lot of pain at the time, so I was recruited to get a medical marijuana card, which I held for a couple years.

I did not like smoking it because it agrivated my asthma/bronchitis like symptoms, so then was given brownies, and from that found out that it messed with me visually, making the floor look like it was all full of waves. It also made me barking mad with paranoia.

In the mean time, I lost weight, a goodly sum of it, and became an almost vegetarian, and excercised by riding my bike and walking even when in a lot of pain. The short story is that I see no value in the use of weed.

Gwendolyn

Just like any other med, it

Just like any other med, it has side effects, and you can be allergic to it - like I am.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

So now...

...Cathy's back to square one when it comes to finding a housekeper / babysitter.

Sadly, I can understand why she made that tough decision regarding Jenny. So now if Jenny wants to put her relationship with the family on a better footing, she'll need to work hard at turning over a new leaf while in her present accommodation - not only getting physically healed but growing up and maturing. She claims her current place is soulless - if she's serious about hating it, the onus is now on her to get herself trained up and earning money so she can support herself and choose some accommodation to rent.

If she succeeds in making a go of life without relying on the support of others, can prove she's turned over a new leaf and has fully rescinded her current attitude, then maybe in six months to a year's time (I doubt it could be done much sooner) she can make tentative feelers out towards re-establishing contact with the family for friendship rather than employment (e.g. sending birthday / christmas cards together with a letter explaining how fouled up she was after the accident and the steps she's taken/taking to put her life back on track).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

What Happened to the Latvian Woman?

littlerocksilver's picture

I think we have forgotten her and what might be going on in her life, if she still has one. Her situation has not been resoved. We don't know for sure what was going on there, or what her current situation is. After all, she is(was) a real person in Cathy's world. Food for thought?

Portia

Pot in Massachusetts

Small amounts of pot here was decriminalized a few years ago. Any amount up to one oz is the equivalent to a traffic ticket. In fact, that is pretty much what the police issue out. Anything over one oz is still a criminal offence and is looked at more as trafficing. As far as I am concerned though, anyone who partakes in the stuff for recreational use is an idiot. As for medical use, it can be a useful theriputic substance but it should be heavily regulated like any prescription medication.

Oh, here in the U.S. on BBC America the 6 Nations Rugby match between England and Wales is presently being broadcast.

I'd disagree, but then, my

I'd disagree, but then, my attitude is that nothing should be 'prescription'. The most it should be is that you have to ask the pharmacist for it. Criminalizing drugs by making them 'prescription' is part of what's caused the weird drug war culture. Prior to that point, there were only the major 'natural' drugs, and had been for a very long time. After that, people starting going crazy to find abusable substances that weren't already illegal - most of which are vastly more destructive than the natural ones that were banned. Basically, the laws changed it from a social disorder to a criminal disorder - that's never a good way to deal with problems.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.