Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1797

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1797
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I wasn’t sure I understood how I could be prejudiced against my own kind, because that was how it seemed to me and I felt I needed some time to think–but in this household it’s impossible to find or acquire much time. Because I’ve sort of made myself irreplaceable, it’s even harder for me to escape than anyone else. The fact that I’m also an adult, means I probably have a higher sense of responsibility, but doesn’t guarantee it.

By dint of some tough horse-trading with Stella, I managed to get an hour to have a bike ride. Of course I had offspring wanting to come as well, but I promised them a ride later or tomorrow, for now I wanted to be alone and unreachable for an hour. I had my mobile, but it was switched off.

I headed off to the hills–in this case, up towards the golf course and Portsdown hill. It took me half an hour and I was breathing hard and sweating when I sat myself down and took a swig from my water bottle. Posh cyclists have bidons, I just had a bottle of mineral water I’d grabbed on the way out, but it was good to drink and rehydrate myself.

I’d been unconsciously running the computer while I cycled so I probably had some data to download into my consciousness. Why was I prejudiced to other transgender types?

I wasn’t, I helped them where I could, having been favoured by nature to make a reasonable cross over the sexes to be acceptable to most people. I won’t say I was completely foolproof, but pretty close to it from casual examination. It was in the data available in various places that made it easily possible–but that was the same for lots of people with something to either hide or who wished not to draw attention to specific objects or events. In my case I was more or less fireproof–those who needed to know did and were accepting of it.

So why did I think I was prejudiced? Because of the cross over of sex and identity. Identity is such a huge item to everyone and everything impinges upon it, we are a result of genetics, environment, nurture, culture and host of other influences. Someone coming to terms with gender identity problems might have very different experiences of family and friends were it to happen in strongly religious environment than in a more secular one. Depending upon so many variables, either could be very a supportive or obstructive experience. The religious lot might be unhelpful fundies or very loving and sympathetic and so on.

Sex and gender are part of our identities, as is sexual orientation but they are not us, just part of the pie–how big a part is variable as well. I see myself as a heterosexual female now, but in the beginning, I saw myself as wanting to be female but not considering my sexual orientation–it was a stage too far–or then it was. I accept that others might have a very different experience or need.

So I wasn’t prejudice or was I? This whole issue had boiled up because I’d had a stupid dream which caused me to see Simon cross-dressing and it worried me. In any relationship, I needed clear role markers–I was the defined female and my partner would be the male. It’s a pretty common situation I suspect and possibly why some wives or girlfriends have problems remaining with previously male partners who want to enter some of their territory either partly or completely, occasionally or permanently. I’d have sympathy with that concern because that’s one I share.

So what causes that to happen? I don’t know, the obvious answer is insecurity, which for new women, is more understandable than for those who’ve had a whole lifetime to get used to themselves. However, one thing I’ve noticed in both male and female students and to an extent in my children is a sense of insecurity, or low self esteem, low confidence. We do get the opposite occasionally, someone so brimming with confidence, they’re either deluded or acting, or perhaps the very rare bird who really does have total self belief. I can’t say I’ve ever met a real one and I’m not sure I want to. I have my own foibles and they get in my way, so being left bobbing in the wake of a total self believer might prove very uncomfortable.

Was I prejudiced to them? No simply frightened of someone so different from everyone else.

I finished my drink and dropped the bottle in a waste bin, climbing back on my bike I was able to confirm that I wasn’t prejudiced to anyone except perhaps those who were intolerant of me or others who might be outside the commonplace. I had no problems with other transgender or whatever variation that one could consider, except that I don’t fancy them which might be my own insecurity.

Secure that I wasn’t pointing fingers at anyone who didn’t start it first, I began to ride home feeling much happier with myself. I could now direct my attention to my riding and it’s deficiencies due to a lack of practice. I wasn’t as fit as I’d been and no matter how much I promised myself I’d set aside time to do this or that exercise, ride or get on the turbo, I knew that life would offer distractions or obstacles because this was the pattern of the past.

Today was no exception, coming down Copnor Road back into Portsmouth proper, a bus came past very close, about two coats of paint away, which made me wobble just a little and this was followed by an aggressive driver in a 4x4, who beeped and swore at me–presumably for breathing.

The traffic came to a standstill and I came level with him, riding down the middle of the road–I was likely to be first away, too.

He saw me coming and tried to manoeuvre outwards to block my progress or force me into the opposite carriageway and thus in danger of being hit by another vehicle.

A noisy altercation took place, with him swearing at me implying that I shouldn’t be there in the first place–I suspect he didn’t like me very much, possibly because I was a cyclist and moving through the traffic more quickly than he was, possibly because I was a woman–his abuse tended to include lots of bitch and cow references. I suppose he could have been a veterinarian though it was unlikely, he was too ignorant.

When I replied, as I thought, sensibly to his nonsensical accusations, he began to get very angry. So far, apart from riding a bicycle in a law abiding manner, I’d done nothing–certainly nothing to light his blue touch paper. I tried to reason with him and he became more angry. I decided to cut my losses and ride on by which time the traffic had moved enough for him to pull out of the traffic and pursue me, him driving down the broken white line separating the carriageways. As the traffic was now moving more freely, it was with some difficulty that I managed to pull between two moving cars and turn down a side road. The jeep tried to follow and I heard a crunching of metal and glass. I decided not to hang around and see what happened but to get off home–I was that scared.

I told Simon what had happened and he was on the phone to the police minutes later while Sammi made me some tea, which I couldn’t drink for a few minutes my hands were shaking too much to hold it still.

“They’re sending someone over to take a statement, I told them you were too shaken up to go to them.”

I thanked him and went up to shower and have a little cry.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
209 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy must be magnetic

She just seems to attract the idiot fringe. Even on a straightforward cycle ride...

S.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1797

That guy needs a chill pill. But could he now be the focus of new story? Is he a banker, businessman, or something else that will need Cathy, or maybe even Simon, or Maureen, or Tom's advice or help?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

bothers me a lot that Cathy just cant seem to enjoy

a simple bike ride. of course trying to reason with an idiot gets u nowhere. hope the police arent going to try to blame a collision on cathy instead of the driver who was attacking her. the locals should know by now that nothing good comes from tangling with cathy cameron,

Its a sad fact

of life that riding a bike is dangerous in lot of cases in this country... Having ridden a bike for many years ( just for pleasure)
i can sympathise with the feelings of imminent disaster that surround you a lot of the time whilst on the road, I always try to give a wide a berth as possible to bikes whilst driving and for the most part so do the majority of other drivers, But as Cathy has just found out sooner or later you are going to meet a mindless idiot intent on making you pay for having the temerity of passing them in a traffic jam.... People who use their car in that way should in my opinion have their license taken off them for a very long time... A car is a lethal weapon... Something that is too easily forgotten when these morons are sentenced...

Kirri

Fascinating analysis.

I loved Cathy's self analysis and even saw a couple of parrallels to my own circumstance.

Though I must confess, I try to keep my gender and indeed my sexuality sort of locked up, compartmentalised and separated from Beverly and her male 'brain mate' because their gender and sexuality thing is so fluid.

I certainly agree that gender and sex and sexuality are component parts of identity but when those components are fluid it destabilises that sense of identity. For me I try to keep my gender fluidity at arm's length because it's caused so much trouble in the past.

Now I'm older, it seems safer to let gender and sexuality out occasionally because the libido is dormant. Wisdom has not come with age for me, it never will I suspect, but safety has and believe it or not, a degree of happiness I have never found before.
As to relationships with others I find my most satisfactory friendships amongs my transgendered acquaintances, mainly because we understand each other better.

As Cathy says ... Each to their own.

Plenty of food for thought here and that causes me to continue loving it.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Perhaps we are at times under the same stars.

Your musing about being prejudiced against my own kind made me think about my own prejudice. As far as soon to be OP or Post op women, I want them to act in a way that is compatible with how other women around me act. I do not want to sit at coffee in a public place and have the person I am with act like a man if they have a skirt on. I must seem like a complete bitch and I am sorry. I work very hard to be like the women I come in contact with every day.

Then this afternoon, I tried to cross the street and the drivers were having none of it. (In Portland, the pedestrian has the absolute right of way, even without a cross walk.) So finally there was a break and two drivers stopped, but as I crossed, someone rounded one of the stopped drivers and nearly got me. He did stop just in time, so I blocked his path and I said, "Look asshole, the pedestrian always has the right of way". After I crossed he took off and as he parted, he called me a Bitch!

I was surprised and a bit ashamed because my voice is a quite demure, feminine soprano, and I had thought that my construction Electrician/ Military Police one was long gone. Wrong, it is still deep within me, and was quite shocking. :(

Khadijah

As a former cyclist and a current driver I have long concluded

4X4 does not mean four wheel drive. It actually means the driver has an IQ of 16.

On a good day.

-- grin --

Though young men on those crotch rocket motorcycles are even worse.

BUt then idiots come in all sizes and flavors.

Hum, why are the police coming? Did Simon call them to file a complaint for Cathy or did someone else call it in after the 4X4 Jeep driver caused an accident trying to intimidate/hit her? Possibly a bad one.

Cathy is known to have been at the scene of fatal accidents before.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Over here...

Over here, Cathy would have been "leaving the scene of a crime" (The accident)... She may not have SEEN the actual accident, but she saw much leading up to it and it's likely that someone saw the cyclist and reported that she'd took off.

It's also more than possible, her info would help them piece together what happened in the accident.

Annette

Interesting...

Interesting way you had Cathy work things out on where she was.

As to the driver with a really bad case of Road Rage... It's generally best to AVOID them at almost any cost. Sooner or later, someone near them will get hurt.

Thank you,
Annette

Transvestites

janet_L.'s picture

I have to admit to being more than a little insecure with and sometimes a bit resentful of transvestites.

Perhaps the biggest factor is that there are still a lot of people who confuse transsexuals and transvestites.

Now, where transsexualty is an issue of identity, transvesticism is an issue of clothing and no one has yet explained to me what guys get out of cross dressing.

As a transsexual, I wear women's clothes simply because I am a woman, even if I have spent most of my life to date being told that I'm otherwise by other people.

Why does a cross dresser cross dress? They define themselves as men, but sometimes present themselves as women. I admit I've only met a few of 'em, but I have to admit I don't get it. . .

Untangling these notions for people who have 'em confused is very hard 'cause, while I can explain transsexuals very well, why a transvestite cross dresses is like one of those "guy things" I don't have a clue about, despite pretending to be a guy for over 50 years.

My own take

Very close to what you have written. I have posted here, many times, of my own lack of connection. Not condemnation, not total incomprehension; just like seeing something written in a language I don't speak.
I have made my characters, apart from Laura, pretty consistent in their attitude, which is mine. While they can appreciate 'nice things', it is not about the clothes. They don't feel an urge to wear that sort of clothing, they just want to be in a position where the wearing is a normal thing, just like any other woman.

My best explanation

I can only speak for myself on this, but here goes...

.
I like to eat apples. I have never tried to analyze why I like to eat apples. I'm pretty sure if I ever decided to invest some time trying to figure it out, I probably wouldn't be able to come up with any kind of a definitive answer to the question of why I like apples. I just do. This lack of an answer has never bothered me nor changed the fact that I like them. I just merrily go through my life, ignorantly enjoying apples.

Cross dressing holds the same position in my life. I have no idea why I get a rush out of looking as pretty as I can. And just like my affinity for apples, my desire to cross dress did not just appear out of nowhere some time during my adult life. Both eating apples and appearing female have been on my list of happy things since my earliest memories. I decided a long time ago to not worry about why, but to simply accept that I do enjoy these things and allow myself the pleasure they bring.
.
.

Lora123c.jpg
The girl in me. She's always there,
baffled by but blindly enjoying her existence.