Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1754

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1754
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Was that the new cook?” he asked brushing past me as I held the door open.

“That’s David, yes.”

“Has he been cooking?”

“Yes, you’ve arrived just in time for a taster.”

“Oh good, let me get changed and washed and I’ll be straight down for it. What is it?”

“Baked chicken with mushrooms.”

“Sounds interesting–hmmm–smells good, too.” He dashed upstairs and I thought I'd see if we did have any zinc tablets or not, so I followed him up. I was out of breath when I got upstairs.

He heard me puffing and shook his head.

“I’ll be okay in a few days, I expect. I’m just out of condition.” I said in between breaths, the look he gave me showed he wasn’t convinced.

I went into the bathroom and found the little pot of zinc tablets and popped one.

“What’re you taking?”

“Zinc.”

“Isn’t that what they use for galvanising steel?”

“Yep, and if it galvanised me right now, I’d be most grateful.”

“D’you want me to cancel the ferry?”

I sat on the bed, “I don’t know what I want other than to feel like me. At the moment I feel like an old woman.”

“We don’t have to go away, we could stay here or even pop up to Dad’s place and have a real break for few days.”

“I always spoil it, don’t I?” I started to sniff.

He sat alongside me and put his arm round me, “No you don’t, besides you can’t help getting ill.”

“I feel so guilty, you’ve spent so much and this is how I repay you.” By now I was producing huge blobs of scalding water, or it felt like that as it dripped down my face and onto my lap.

“Cathy, it’s only money–and we do own a bank.” He joked but I dissolved into tears and sobbed all over him.

“I hate my body, it always lets me down.”

“Don’t be silly, you have a lovely body–I don’t get enough of it–perhaps I should rephrase that?”

I almost laughed at his mistake, instead I snorted and then had to wipe my nose–all very romantic. He must love me because he didn’t throw up nor run away. Then I got hiccups, so he held me patting my back like a baby.

“You, missus, are the most precious thing in my life, so what is a few quid by comparison to the woman I love?”

Instead of cheering me up that caused me to start sobbing again much to his bewilderment. When he says he can’t understand women, he means it. He held me for a bit longer and I suddenly remembered the dinner. Unlike the pills that did galvanise me into action, and I wiped my eyes, blew my nose and after telling him to hurry, dashed downstairs. Once again, I had to rest a moment before I could do anything.

The meal was delicious, though I couldn’t eat very much–perhaps just as well as Simon and Tom ate most of it. Essentially, it was a very simple dish, a boned chicken in a tin of mushroom soup with a pile of sliced mushrooms laid on top, baked for a couple of hours and served with new potatoes, carrots and whole green beans. In some ways I was pleased to see David used shortcuts such as the cream of mushroom soup for a quick sauce. I do it with pasta bakes all the time, so my cupboard usually has a three or four tins.

During the night, I felt worse and had to sit up in bed to breathe. I also felt very hot. Simon happened to wake up for a wee when he saw me wheezing sitting on the edge of the bed.

“Are you alright?” he asked when it was obvious I wasn’t. “Why didn’t you wake me up?”

I couldn’t speak–I didn’t have the breath. He jumped out of bed ran to the loo and stripped off his pyjamas. He dressed very quickly and the next moment he wrapped me in a dressing gown and half led me and half carried me down the stairs.

About fifteen minutes later we were in the QA and a junior doctor was examining me. He pronounced a chest infection and they had me on oxygen while they wheeled me down for an X-ray. It was two o’clock in the morning and I was supposed to be going on holiday in a couple of day’s time, my children were going that day. However, I felt so awful, I couldn’t think of anything much at all.

An hour later, I was having a drip installed and they whacked in a massive dose of penicillin. I had pneumonia, no wonder I felt like warmed up shit. I wanted to go home but the doctor persuaded Simon that I should stay at least overnight so the chest consultant could see me.

They thought they were out of my hearing. “I’m worried, she has a patch on her lung.”

“Is that where she was stabbed?”

“Stabbed? When?”

“About a year or to now, we were out cycling and some nutter stabbed her as we went past.”

“I must have missed that.” He picked up my notes and started leafing through them. I don’t know what happened next but a couple of porters came and took me up to the ward. Simon walked with me. I felt exhausted but asked him to go home and rest because he needed to make sure the kids took all they needed.

“Don’t worry, it’ll be fine–you just get well, I’ll be in to see you in the morning.”

I got dumped in a four bed unit. I couldn’t lie down–well I could but I couldn’t breathe if I did. I was raised into a semi reclining position with the back rest and some pillows. I hate hospitals when I’m well, when I’m ill they’re awful places.

For the rest of the night–ha, rest–that’s a misnomer. Some old biddy was shouting the odds most of the night. I’d doze off and she’d wake me up. Then another one tried to get into bed with me. She was looking for her mother–she must have been seventy if she was a day. Thinking about it again, perhaps I did look old enough to be her mother, I certainly felt it.

The other intrusions were the nurses checking my temperature and blood pressure, oh and at one point changing the drip and injecting more antibiotics. They’d got some sputum from me and were adding a new one. I still felt like nothing on earth, I was wheezing and crackling when I breathed and my chest felt tight and sore. I honestly began to wonder if I was going to die.

It might have been a dream or just some delirium, I couldn’t tell you; I was lying in the bed when Billie came to see me. My heart leapt. “Hello, darling, how nice to see you.”

“No it isn’t, Mummy, you’re not supposed to be here yet.”

“Be where? What d’you mean?”

“You have work to do.”

“I know children to raise, students to educate, dormice to count–lots of things to do.”

“No, Mummy, you have work to do for the goddess.”

“Don’t be silly, there are no gods or goddesses, that’s just medieval superstition.”

“Go back and get well, you need to be well to do the work.”

“What work?”

She pushed me and I seemed to fall through the bed.

I awoke with a nurse standing by the side of me, “What’s the problem, Mrs Cameron?”

“I don’t know.”

“You were calling, Billie–who’s Billie?”

“My daughter, she died last year. She was here.”

“What she died here?”

“No she died in a field, she had an aneurysm in the brain, she died instantly.”

“I’m sorry.”

“But she was here, talking to me.”

“That might be the pneumonia or the antibiotics, they can make you feel strange at times. Just rest, have a little drink and lie back and rest.”

She settled me down again and I cried myself to sleep.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1754

The blue light and Billie at work again

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I can't say good chapter can I?

After all Cathy's feeling like death warmed up. Billy's giving her the oracle, there's no knowing where this is going. Best perhaps if Trish and Julie are allowed to visit; blue light an' all.
So I can't say it's a good chapter, it's a worrying chapter.

Don't suppose she'll make France though; bugger!!!

Get better soon Cathy.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Like the dress, Bev.

Perhaps not ideal for riding your bike though :)

Looks like the blue will be needed in the near future. Perhaps to help a Tour rider?

Robi

Listen to Billie Cathy

You have work to do! Places to go, people to see..... need to be healthy.

Simon proves his worth

Her weakness, fever and inability to catch her breath screamed pneumonia or some other dangerous disease/injury to the lungs.

My sister had these symptoms and spent a week in hospital with double pneumonia. VERY scary.

Is the patch in her lungs a risk for a pocket of infection? I know my dad's partial cow heart valve is a concern. Before major dental work or other surgery he is put on preventative antibiotics to prevent blood born germs getting a foothold in what is in essence a piece of leather.

Billy made another welcome appearance. Don't you just hate how those visions/visits by the supernatural always are couched in confusing terms? A bit like an adult talking down to a toddler. But then by the gods standards we are toddlers.

Nice.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Billie's Warning

Oh, My! Billie's delivering a direct warning to Cathy to get her act together.
I'm looking forward to Cathy's reconciliation between her beliefs and her experiences.

Red MacDonald

Had that one this spring...

it was bloody awful, and i had no rich hunk to care for me :>(

Cathy, Simon, and Billie

Cathy is sick, and Simon got her to the A & e, which may have saved her life when you consider how much difficulty she was having breathing, and still is.

And little Billie, bless her heart! Cathy sees her this time, and Billie tells her to get her act together about the Goddess, as the Goddess has work for her to do.

I hope Cathy takes advantage of this chance to rest, and rethinks her position about religion, the Goddess, and what she has been told by numerous people about the Blue Light, and the Goddess.

++VOTE++ ++VOTE++

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

I wish

Maddy Bell's picture

that my dose of pneumonia a couple of years ago had been so mild! I spent several days in delirium, my rents did actually come over to find out what had happened to me!

Not an experience i'd wish on anyone.

Get well soon Cathy, you need to see Wiggo win his first tour.

Spotted yesterday that Sky have more different jerseys in the bunch than any other team, yellow, polka dot, world champ, Danish champ oh and team strip! Oh and yellow helmets too.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Like i am sure

all of the followers of Bike, I was very sad when Billie suffered her fatal aneurys, Some of the sadness was because i thought we would not see the delightful Billie in the story again.... How wrong could i have been... Over the last few months she has appeared at various intervals when a few words from her were needed, Unfortunately much to Cathys dismay she was never able to see her much loved daughter that was however until she contracted pneumonia which perhaps was not the way she would have chosen to see her once again' . However the the message Billie bought was very clear, Get better ..... Something tells me that this is one meassage from the goddess Cathy will not ignore.

Kirri

Cathy is almost psychotic

in her denial. No, scratch the almost. She has a serious mental block on it. She is a smart woman, and has had more than enough evidence. I agree with her decision not to go public, but this is ridiculous.