Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1537

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1537
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I was cold when Simon eventually persuaded me to come to bed. I’d been sitting on the loo for maybe an hour dealing with my grief and my tiredness. Sometimes I felt I just wanted to walk away from everyone here and never come back. I looked at my watch, it was getting late and I had an appointment with Anne Thomas at ten. But I made that when I had Jenny to help look after the babies. Simon will have to help, either go and have therapy instead of me or look after Catherine.

We cuddled, he felt nice and warm and I deliberately put my cold feet on his warm legs–he didn’t say anything–normally he tells me off–tonight he just held me. Sometimes I get tired of being the strong one and just enjoyed being held by someone–someone I loved.

I struggled up at seven, feeling I’d only slept for an hour or two. Even though I think it was probably four I’d had, it didn’t feel enough. I managed to rouse Julie and get the girls and Danny up and out. Simon took Danny, and I took the girls to school. I stayed in the car to avoid being asked by the headmistress if I’d stand as a school governor. I didn’t feel strong enough to say no.

Back home, I changed and put some concealer under my eyes to cover the dark lines, no point in letting her know too soon that I wasn’t coping with this grief thing. I waited until Simon came back and went off to my appointment.

It was as I expected, I was soon in tears as I explained how the new horror of Jenny’s suicide attempt had brought the pain of Billie’s death back to me. We talked about the dream I’d had with the Shekinah and she tried to use that to calm me down. She had spoken to Sam Rose who confirmed what he told me, that Billie had the aneurysm and could have died at any time even without the accident.

I came out feeling quite distressed and exhausted. However, I went to the hospital to see if there was any news on Jenny.

“She stabilised so well, we sent her by ambulance to Southampton this morning.”

Oh well, I did something right by the look of it. I felt a bit better, but still knackered with a capital K. I got some extra bread, milk and potatoes and went home. After a cuppa and feeding Catherine, I went back to bed for an hour. I’d made up a bread mix for the machine to bake, but what we’d eat with it, I had no idea. Simon came and woke me and told me that Caroline had made scrambled eggs to sit on top of our warm slices of bread. It was delicious. She’d added a small amount of Worcester sauce to eggs before she heated them in the microwave.

Rested and replete, I felt a bit better and went off to collect the children, well able to refuse the charms of the headmistress, except she didn’t turn up–all that wasted energy, I had really wound myself up to say no.

I stopped at a shop on the return drive and we each had an ice cream–I enjoyed it as much as the girls did.

Simon had ordered pizza for the evening meal which although I don’t like, I decided I’d have a cheesy jacket potato for my meal, so I popped the spud in the oven to cook while we waited for Tom to get home. He’d been warned it was ordered for six, the pizza that is and when it arrived it had virtually everything on, including what looked like its own penicillin.

Talking of which, penicillin that is, I remember as a kid being given a book with potted biographies of the great and the good, presumably to inspire me to go to university and discover the next medical miracle or excavate Troy or whatever. Of course, I wanted to be the next Marie Curie and discover some bizarre chemical which would magically change my genitals into female ones and win the Nobel prize for it. I also curiously wanted to play cricket for England, until my parents told me I was actually Scots born.

I also learned that playing about with all those radioactive chemicals had caused Madame Curie to die of aplastic anaemia, which I thought would be quite a fitting end for me as well–dying like some melodramatic operatic heroine. It’s not my fault, I saw a children’s film about her and that’s how they portrayed her end, collapsing at her laboratory bench. These days I suspect it would be very different and I’ll settle for dying of old age, having lots of grandchildren and great grandchildren to dote upon. I guess I just love children.

I learned much later that although Flemming took the credit for penicillin, he didn’t deserve it all–his researchers did much of the work and got left out, sounds a bit like some more modern winners, who conveniently forgot the people who helped them discover the structure of DNA. Science is every bit as competitive as sport and just as financially rewarding for a small number of elite. I’m quite grateful that ecology doesn’t command the fees that medical science does–there’s not much of a market for dormice or even saving the world, compared to selling drugs that might or might not do what they’re supposed to. Apparently only 23% of prescription drugs actually do what they’re supposed to.

I called Southampton General and they told me that Jenny was comfortable but still unconscious and they were contemplating surgery on her legs the next day. I got permission to visit and naturally Julie decided to come. Trish, we virtually had to lock in her room to avoid taking her, and in the end agreed she could help by sitting with Livvie and Mima to send us their love and healing light–I’d phone once we got to the hospital.

Portsmouth’s QA is a big general hospital, Southampton is a huge one, a regional centre for all sorts of things and has its own medical school. We eventually found the relevant ward and went and sat with Jenny. Her bruising was coming out and she actually looked a little worse, like she’d jumped off the bridge and been hit by a number of articulated lorries before the train got her.

Julie was still a bit squeamish about being there in some respects, but once we got started, she settled down and we plugged Jenny into the blue light and zapped her for an hour. Once again I spoke with her and told her what we were doing and how she was wanted back home and that we all loved her. This time we noticed her eyes moving under the closed lids and once or twice the lids flickered.

I kissed her on the cheek and she smiled. Julie kissed her and she smiled even more. “Is there something going on between you two?” I asked her jokingly and Julie blushed, whereas Jenny smiled again.

The next day I got a call from the hospital to say she’d opened her eyes and had asked for me. They postponed the leg surgery, sending her for scans instead, and found that her brain injuries seemed to be healing spontaneously. Julie and I went to see her that evening and were met by the Professor of Neurosurgery, who just happened to call by at visiting time–yeah, sure he did.

“I’ve never seen healing like this before,” he said in the sister’s office. He showed us two scans, one taken at Portsmouth and the other that day at Southampton. He pointed out the improvements in brain swelling and how tissue had regenerated. “It’s more like scans of muscle than brain tissue. Brain tissue doesn’t regenerate very well at all.”

I shrugged, “She’s obviously special then.”

“Undoubtedly, but I believe things changed after you visited her last night, and according to the notes from the nurse on ICU at Portsmouth, she improved dramatically after you visited her there–stabilising enough to be brought here.

“There are all sorts of stories circulating about the angel of the QA. Am I talking to her?”

“Sorry, I’m an agnostic, don’t believe in such things.”

“Neither do I, but we had a case here which seemed to be spontaneously healing and you were mentioned there as well, Lady Cameron. A Maureen Ferguson recovered incredibly quickly from life threatening injuries caused by a severe beating, including probable brain injuries.

“I did some further digging, and discovered a certain Luke Perryman had severe injuries which should have killed him but he survived after you helped him, although he subsequently died.”

“Yes, he hanged himself.”

“Oh yes, something about child pornography wasn’t it?”

“You know perfectly well, Professor Chesters.”

“So I do. I think I’ve caught me a real live angel, or even a pair of them–haven’t I?”

“If that’s what you think, you’d be mistaken but it’s allowed, even for professors. I live with one, he’s always making mistakes.” I smiled but there was no amusement in my eyes.

“Okay, here’s the deal. You go in there and do what you do and let me watch.”

“Then what?”

“That’s it.”

“Do I have your word on that?”

“Yeah, d’you want me to sign it in blood?”

“Ink will suffice. But there must be no follow up.”

“Meaning?”

“You can watch me simply talk to someone and to hold their hand. If it seems to help them, fine–but you don’t try to duplicate it, I won’t see any other patients, and you must tell no one about it.”

“Look, I’m a scientist.”

“So am I, Professor–I also have one of the best legal teams in the world at my disposal.”

“Ah so the angel uses the devil’s playthings,” he smiled.

“I don’t claim to be anything but extremely wealthy and married to a billionaire who owns a bank and very expensive set of lawyers. I am certainly no angel,” I smiled again.

“Okay, this intrigues me so much, I need to see it.”

“You probably won’t see anything much except me falling asleep while I talk to her.”

“I have never seen brain tissue heal like that–show me what you do.” I gave him a look of disdain, no one orders me about. “Please, show me.” I nodded.

Jenny was sleeping and didn’t wake even though I spoke to her. She smiled at my voice, so we had some degree of recognition from her. Things were looking up.

I sat and holding her hand talked to her for an hour. Julie held the other hand and immediately I felt a surge of power flow through me, Julie was becoming a very useful booster pack.

We stopped when I felt the power depleting and we both kissed her and told her we’d come back again. Her eyes flickered open and she smiled before falling back to sleep.

“I watched the bruising reduce on her face and neck–what is it you’ve got? What’s the blue stuff you were shining on her?”

I held out my hand and he took it, “This,” a surge flew through my hand and he was thrown backwards slightly.

“What happened?” he asked picking himself off the floor.

“I don’t know, you were standing there a moment ago and the next minute you fell backwards–perhaps you need a holiday, Professor?”

“There was something I was going to ask you but I’ve forgotten what?”

“Can’t be important then, can it?”

“You induced that improvement by suggestion–that was it, you did all that by a sort of hypnosis?”

I smiled at him. “I think you’ve hit on it.”

“I’ll have to get a psychologist in and do some trials.”

“Hmm, good idea.” I left him there and Julie and I went back to the car.

“What happened with him falling over?”

“The energy protected itself, it brought on a partial amnesia, he can’t remember what he saw, only what he thinks he saw.”

“So he can’t tell anyone?”

“He can, he can tell them that love helps to heal people, but we know that anyway.”

“You are one kewel cookie, Mummy.”

“Yeah, I suppose I am.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
251 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Angharad,

ALISON

'another good one and the second nice thing to brighten my day already,Where would we be without you?

ALISON

One Kewl Cookie

littlerocksilver's picture

She certainly is! A., I think your muse is operating in high gear. Now, I'll just wait and see where she takes us.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

EAFOAB 1537 and 'kewel cookies'

persephone's picture

Angharad,

Gentle and wonderful as always (unless the Russian Mafia, bank robbers, obnoxious coppers, anyone who threatens Cathy's family (or Dormice), or recurve composite bows are involved, whereupon please delete the 'Gentle' bit) . This may be just my poorly understood take on the last few chapters but... by healing others, is Cathy helping to heal herself?

Anyway, thank you,

Persephone

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Good to see Julie

Good to see Julie become part of the energy work.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1537

Great seeing Jenny improve.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Deja Vu

The ending reminds me of the scenes in Men In Black where Tommy Lee Jones puts on his glasses, holds up a pen-like object, and has the accidental onlookers look at it, then zaps them with a red light that wipes their recent memories.

___________________
Light? What light?

Southampton General

Of course - the last time Julie tag-teamed Cathy with healing serious injuries was in Southampton General, on a certain Maureen Ferguson - episode 987, 8th May 2010.

I really must make another stab at updating the spreadsheet - if anyone fancies re-reading any episode from 1,300 onwards and wouldn't mind writing a couple of sentences worth of summary, let me know :)

 

Find me on Google+ | Examine EAFOAB Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Really, Cathy?

"only 23% of prescription drugs actually do what they’re supposed to."

Really, Cathy? Does that mean I can toss 7 of my prescriptions in the bin? And can I pick the expensive ones to toss? If I could get some of the bluelight special, I could chuck them all!

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

The Problem Is......

which seven to toss.

I hope you are doing well Karen.

to many pills

I would agree with the 23% of medicines are useful and rest are fairly useless,if i take any more pills i think i will start to rattle,i wonder if they are any closer to making a youth serum,i would order a truck load of it:)

another good chapter Angharad.

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Enjoyed the thing with the doctor.

reminds me of the movie "Men in Black." Cathy has gotten powerful way beyond healing.

Glad that Jenny is smiling at Cathy and Julie. Wonder what it will be like once she is conscious though. That girl is going to be one very upset person.

Hope they can get some kind of ID info on the man she was seeing. With the cameras all over UK maybe there are pictures.

Who pawned it?

I may have missed it, but if he pawned it there ought to be records on file at the shop. At least in the U.S. pawnbrokers are pretty good at spotting faked id's. If they fenced it they got next to nothing for it, not that a pawnshop gives much more.

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It can be used

But not abused.

Nice chapter Angie.

Doctors can be so arrogant and conceited.

OXOXOX

Still lovin' it.

Bev

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg

About the DNA discovery:

It really disturbs me when people treat Watson and Crick as thieves of Rosalind Franklin work for two reasons :

A) Franklin hadn't worked by herself, heck it wasn't even her idea to do this sort of image . She worked with Raymond gosling on the "basic genetic structure" research and they traded Ideas back and forth. Now Gosling was a physics doctor, never to have work on genetic material before hand, so while he might not have know a lot on the biological part he knew heck of a lot on physics . He offered Franklin to use a method commonly used in physics lab to picture the molecular structure of the , then unnamed, DNA :X-ray diffraction .

Franklin major contribution to the research was the finding of the two molecule structure ( A-DNA & B-DNA, which was then known as type A and type B) and some data about their position.

In the end it was Franklin who took the "picture" of the DNA but she and Gosling wasn't able to decipher it.

B) The only "stolen info" was the picture ( the two molecule structures were public domain as Franklin had released articles about that):

Watson and Crick somehow got the pictures that Franklin and Gosling took ( Long story related to Crick work on hemoglobin ) and out of those picture they singlized one picture :"photograph 51" .
What they were able to do , way before Gosling and Franklin did, was to understand that what they see in the picture is the X-Ray diffraction of a helix, and not one but TWO!

They then went on to work on the subject and published their final report . The report included full reference to Franklin and Gosling work, but in the end it was Crick and Watson who found the structure and basic property of the DNA A and B helix.

Gosling and Franklin even supported some of the findings in their later publication of the Diffraction data analysis .

The reason why we think Franklin was left out of the credit is that most people,at least those that aren't scientist , haven't read the articles , thus our only info comes from the historical event that happened in 1963 :The Nobel prize award.

The Nobel prize was give to three people :Watson and Crick (who got 75% of the prize for discovering the double helix and the basic structure ) and Gosling who got 25% on the molecular structure work and the Diffraction images.
It might seems weird that Franklin wasn't included with Gosling ( she had a fair part in those 25 percents) but there is a simple reason for that :
By 1963, when the award was rewarded, Franklin was dead.

The rules of the noble prize comity clearly state that the award will not be given post mortem Unless the person elected for the award died between declaring the awards and the ceremony (This rule was accidentally broken this year when the award was declared for Ralph Steinman who died just a few days before the declaration, a thing that the comity was unaware of. He will still get the reward together with his co-researchers).

Lily.

Well...

Puddintane's picture

...in point of fact, James Watson was a vile sexist who denigrated her work until people (both women and men) started calling him on it. Watson's book The Double Helix refers to her patronisingly as ‘Rosy’, a condescending diminution of her name that she never used or encouraged. Even Crick (who wasn't quite as vile) admitted that the two of them, together with Maurice Wilkins, had taken a patronizing attitude towards her. It was Maurice Wilkins who showed Watson and Crick her photograph, without asking permission or notifying her, and Max Perutz, who showed them an advance copy of one of her papers in which she described her findings, that gave the two dunderheadas the clues that they used to "discover" the double helix structure. Max Perutz subsequently apologised, and Maurice Wilkins has admitted that the attributions by Crick and Watson were inadequate. She had, in fact, been working on and had essentially worked out the helical structure of DNA but had been ordered by the head of the lab, Sir John Randall, to stop all work on the structure of DNA because he wanted to preserve it for Watson and Crick. Another Cambridge scientist, Peter Cavendish, wrote: "Wilkins is supposed to be doing this work; Miss Franklin is evidently a fool". In fact, the importance of Franklin's work was deliberately downplayed by Watson, especially, so although her work was cited, the significance of it, and the clear fact that the two of them hadn't had the slightest clue until long after Franklin had worked it out is buried in vague waffling.

When one adds up the hostility towards her, the obstacles that were thrown in her way, and the general character of the poisonous toads who hated her, it's difficult to say, "Oh, well, it was just the luck of the draw" about any of this nasty little debacle, because the "race" was fixed by the bookies and jockeys acting in secret consort.

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

You're right

My message only referred to the lack of credit and the theft (which wasn't there, Wilkins showed them the info).

That doesn't go to say Watson wasn't sexist, or That Franklin work wasn't important ( it was ), BUT history tends to somehow twist it the other way: What annoys me is that people think she found the double helix structure and they just stole it!

No matter how much of a chauvinist they were , and how important Franklin contribution was (she did most of the work that got gosling the 25% of a Nobel), she and gosling had failed to detect the double helix in the diffraction . Watson and Crick still did a major job on the DNA structure and it wasn't just a mere copy-paste.The paper that was given to them was by no mean a obvious clue, even after they published it Franklin and Gosling weren't sure that the picture shows a double helix . It required work , mostly on how the structure is stable, so they weren't dunderheads by no mean.

I am not annoyed that history will remember them as chauvinist : They deserve it ( together with most of Cambridge Biology division at the time ), I just say that the credit was given ( They tried to downplay the contribution but gave proper remarks when needed) AND That they did much of the work.

And here I thought Ang was beyond

... being flashy with her writing :)

Luckily this episode as not all flash and no substance! :)

Kim

Nice to see...

Nice to see Jenny apparently on the "mend"...

Interesting, the reaction when Cathy asked about a relationship between Jenny and Julie... Perhaps there IS a hint / desire for one... And, Jenny's refusal to recognize it (or act on it with a minor) is what lead to her choice of abusive boy friends? Nah, couldn't be that simple.

Thanks for an interesting story!

Anne

Lilith withdrew the blue light

for a while, somehow I suspect that option has been closed off. Looking forward to seeing it.