Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1736

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1736
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

So the explosive was dynamite–it’s ironic that the man who invented it and made billions also created the Nobel prizes including the peace prize–seeing as much of his money was made through munitions. But then allegedly, much of the Churchill’s money was made through shares in Krupps, the giant German armament manufacturers.

I considered a scenario as follows: someone deliberately blocked the flue of the heater and possibly enabled fumes to enter the house by breaking the seal on the front of the boiler. Most boilers will stop if you block their flues but some don’t or you’d have to know what you were doing to prevent the thing shutting itself off.

So someone with knowledge of how to cause a blockage sufficient to have fumes enter the house but not put out the boiler. They or associates would have to have access to a supply of dynamite and be aware of what they were doing to destroy both the evidence of their tampering and kill Gareth–assuming he was the target. That Stella and the girls could have been killed as well might be, collateral damage, as the military describe it. It disgusts me that children could be killed to get at the parents–but then someone capable of this is either very wicked or mentally ill. Either way, if I can help in catching them–‘Lay on, Macduff, and damned be him who cries, Hold, enough!’ See, a good education is never wasted.

My cogitations weren’t going to actually catch anyone, that needed detective work and James was doing that. I asked him to send me a report of the substance which I’d feed to Andy Bond. I wasn’t entirely surprised when I saw the lab involved was the Metropolitan Police.

I called Andy Bond and asked him if he’d heard of the explosion which had killed Gareth. He had, but hadn’t realised who Gareth was. I asked him if he’d heard what caused the explosion and he told me gas–the guy was playing with the boiler when it went up.

“So if I told you, I have evidence to show the presence of dynamite or at least nitro-glycerine, what would you think?”

“It probably isn’t gas and unless he was making bombs, then he was likely murdered by someone else.”

“I gave some of the same evidence to one of your colleagues for analysis, mine comes from the Met, I sent a sample up to London. What should I do?”

“Let me make a few calls–I’ll get back to you.”

I started the dinner, and while it was cooking fed the baby. I hadn’t had time to express any milk, so shut myself away and fed her from the breast. She recognised me anyway, but all the same I hadn’t fed her except by bottle before. She took a moment to think about it before she smelt the milk–I was oozing just a little when I picked her up–and she soon got the idea, sucking me dry in double quick time. I changed her and put her down for a nap then drank some water to try and produce enough for Catherine’s next quota. Quota? It makes me sound like a cow–to them–the babies, I mean–I suppose I am.

While Fi had a little sleep, I did the veg and put them on to cook. The ham I was boiling was half cooked already, so I then collected some parsley and began to chop it for the sauce. There’s nothing like fresh herbs for cooking or making sauces, and I knew my lot would swoop down and devour it all like hungry vultures. We hadn’t had ham for ages, and although his was a biggish joint to feed the five thousand, I did think next time I cooked it I might try roasting or baking it–probably the latter, less fat.

Simon arrived about the same time as Julie, so we were all there except Stella and Gareth of course. I asked Simon to propose a toast to absent friends before we ate and Julie started to sniff. She fancied Gareth like mad, although she’d met him several times, she didn’t really know him because he wasn’t interested in her–I know, he fancied her mum–no, he had eyes only for Stella–least, that’s what I’m telling myself. If I do it often enough, I’ll believe it.

I left the clearing up to Julie and Jacquie, Sammi was bursting to tell me about work and how nice her boss was–she was sure he fancied her–he touched her bum several times during the day–accidentally of course.

I asked her to tell me if he did it the next day–if so–I’d have a word with Simon. He’d be absolutely furious, so I needed proof that it was an accurate report, not a bit of wishful thinking; though she does scrub up well and looks quite attractive as a girl.

Once she’d finished gushing and telling me about how inadequate the computer system was–for which I called in Si, who was most interested in what she had to say. He would have a word with his IT manager tomorrow. She might be simply trying to attract attention to herself, but she is a whizz with computers and he wasn’t dismissing her. She went off to look after the babies while Simon and I went off to visit Stella in hospital.

On the way we chatted about my research and James finding it was dynamite that killed Gareth. Unsurprisingly, Stella was subdued, I suspect too, that she had been sedated. She barely acknowledged we were there. We stayed for the hour making small talk which she mostly ignored and slept.

On the return home, the girls were in bed and Tom was reading them a story–they love him doing it because he uses all sorts of funny voices. Simon showed me the list of defaulters and the owner of the quarry was there–he owed half a million pounds when he topped himself, after moving all his assets into his wife’s name. As she wasn’t a director of the company, the bank couldn’t touch her. It began to look increasingly like we’d found a motive for murder–but as yet the evidence was at best circumstantial. I hoped James would turn up a bit more.

Simon half hoped my research was accurate because it let him off the target list, but when my suspect was on his list of defaulters of his precious bank, it possibly meant we were all targets and we decided to continue on red alert until we learned otherwise.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1736I see a

I see a possible corrupt plod or two, if Andy catches any hint of funny business. But what about Maureen? Can she and her friends create the needed security?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Oh dear somebody has an axe

and dynamite to grind.

Sadly when a person is out for revenge they oftentimes do not know when that is satisfied so Cathy is being very wise.

They might even catch wind somehow that she is after them and decide to silence her and her banker husband also.

Kim

As I heard the story...

As I heard the story... Alfred Nobel initially thought his invention of Dynamite would be an explosive to fearful for man to use in war and would help end wars. Obviously - we've yet to find something that SOMEONE isn't willing to turn into a weapon. Wonderful race, humans...

And, the story goes on that when he realized that man would use dynamite to kill other men - as often as man would use it for peaceful things, he determined that his money would go to something BETTER. And, the prize(s) were born.

Then, there's a story (that's apparently not true, but sounds good) that explains why there is no Nobel Prize in Mathematics... The story went that when he was setting up his prizes, he asked "if there's a prize in math, who would get it?"... And someone was named... And said someone was apparently having an affair with Nobel's wife... And that's why there's no prize in Math... As I said, I've since heard this story isn't true... And, nobody knows why there's no prize in Math.

Interesting things a happening in the story.

Thanks,
Annette

Be careful Cathy!

Don't let too many in on what information you have, Cathy. You have told people who can do something about it, so all you have to do is keep in touch with them.

I wonder what Andy will find as he starts snooping around the people he works with?

Keep it coming, Bonzi! You are holding up remarkably good..

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Corrupt or just lazy cops?

Hoping we're imagining a bigger conspiracy than there actually is.

Questions, questions.

So once again, somebody might be taking a pop at the banks. Trouble is, the people responsible for all the trouble at the banks are exactly the ones who get away unharmed and rich. And they get rewarded for the mayhem they cause.

Interesting storyline to this one as the 'Collateral Damage' spreads wider and wider.

Hope Cathy does get to sort out the horror or more importantly, see the wrongdoerspunished. (Severely.)

Still lovin' it Ang.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Surely the bank

mananger must realise just who Sammi is staying with... And if he doesn't, Just what is he doing in the job?

Kirri

Nice!

Several plots at once!