Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1673

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1673
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

It was Saturday morning, Easter Saturday, if there is such a day and I found myself up and making breakfast for millions of children all wanting something different. I was just about tearing my hair out when the front doorbell rang. I despatched Trish to answer it. She returned a moment later.

“Mummy, there’s a man at the door.”

“Who is he?” I asked and she handed me a business card. Jeremy Kite, Solicitor. I handed over to Jacquie and went to find out what he wanted, although I was pretty sure it wouldn’t be good news.

I went to the door, there dressed in an expensive sports jacket and slacks was a man, aged about thirty eight maybe forty, who was in good shape although his hair combed forward showed he was balding a little.

“Mr Kite?” he nodded at my question. I wasn’t going to invite him in without knowing what he wanted. “How can I help?”

“I’m just verifying you live at this address, Mrs Cameron.”

“And why would you do that?”

“So I can serve this on you.” He handed me some papers and turned on his heel. “Good day to you, see you in court.”

I looked at them, his client, Nathan Cock, I kid you not, was seeking damages for my unwarranted attack upon his person. Underneath was another set of papers for, Luther Lavelle, who was also seeking damages for my attack upon his person.

How did he get in, this solicitous solicitor? I watched his BMW drive out of the open gates. Simon was last in, so did he forget to close the gates? I went and got my bleeper and they closed now.

Simon emerged from the kitchen carrying a cup of coffee. I showed him the papers. He shook his head. I raised the matter of the gate being open and he shrugged–he couldn’t remember and it was raining when he came in. I’d ask Maureen to check them.

I called Jason and left a message on his voice mail. I also called James and asked him to check out the two claimants, I wanted every bit of dirt he could find, he could also check out our flying solicitor, Mr Kite. James was out too; so I left the info on his voice mail.

Was this going to be a day of frustrations? I scanned the two sets of documents into my computer and sent them as emails to Jason and James. I had no doubt that if these were the two thugs who attacked me, that we’d go to court and win any case hands down, if only because we could afford a better barrister: that we were innocent seemed a lesser factor.

I spent the rest of the morning making bread, and warming the hot cross buns I’d bought yesterday and forgotten about. The kids would all get a bar of chocolate for Easter, I refused to buy overpriced eggs for them. I also wanted to put some flowers on Billie’s grave. I asked Trish if she wanted to come with me and she did. We slipped away in the car, collected the flowers I’d ordered and we drove to the cemetery.

The grave looked a little tired, so I took the stiff brush out of my bag and brushed it down, removing dust and moss. Trish stood by holding the flowers with their own reservoir in the plastic that encased them. When I’d finished, I washed the stones with a vase of water and then Trish laid the bouquet on the grave, in the recess provided. “Happy Easter, Billie, Gran and Auntie Catherine. We miss you, sis.” She sniffed and stepped back. “I can’t see her today.”

“Perhaps she’s busy elsewhere,” I suggested, not sure if she’d ever seen anything here–I couldn’t, so she could be mistaken. However, I spoke to the grave and wished them all peace and love. Then before I started to tear up, I steered Trish away and back to the car.

I get really confused by a lot of this. My head tells me when you’re alive, make the best of it because once you’re dead, that’s it, fini. Yet seemingly sincere and apparently sane people claim experience of seeing or hearing people they know to be dead. I suspect it’s simply wishful thinking, we all want to believe that they wait for us in some sort of heaven or paradise. There’s no evidence, despite hundreds of books claiming to offer proof, none do.

There is suggested evidence for out of body experience and near death, but it could all be related to a shocked or dying brain, which flooded with endorphins, allows the most wonderful opiate type trips for the expiring individual. These may or may not include the usual tunnel of light stuff, visions of deceased loved ones and so on.

I’ve seen programmes on the telly which suggest people have had such experiences and survived, able to relate what doctors were talking about or describe the emergency room and so on. I’m not convinced because we have ways of absorbing information which are so subtle, we’re not even aware we’re doing it.

Then I’ve had weird experiences of my own, including lucid dreams involving my mother. Now whether that’s some form of grief, I have no idea, but I suspect it’s more likely than being visited by the dead. However, I won’t try to dismiss Trish’s experiences, perhaps she can do something I can’t and pick up on these ethereal energies.

We stopped off to fill up the tank in the car. “I like this car, Mummy, I think I’ll drive Jaguars when I grow up.”

“Assuming there’s any oil to run them,” I said matter of fact.

“Oh yes, there should be as they improve techniques for removing the oil they left behind in empty wells. They leave about forty per cent of the oil because it becomes too expensive to recover.”

“I see, so you’re going to invent a way of doing that, are you?”

“I could I suppose, but I’d like to be an astrophysicist, like Brian Cox.”

“He’s a particle physicist.”

“Okay, I’ll be a particle physicist then.”

“Fine, so you’ll resolve the oil well question on your day off, will you?”

“I’ll see.” She looked so serious. I mean how many eight year olds have even heard of astrophysics? Perhaps Livvie could sort out the oil question, or even Meems, although I see her as more inclined to midwifery than chemical engineering. As for Danny–I have no idea what he wants to do, and as long as he’s happy, I don’t care. We still need plumbers and motor mechanics, in the same way I feel happy if Julie remains in hair dressing or beauty–because she seems to be enjoying it more than when she started and her college course has improved her vista of what is possible. I’m sure if and when she’s ready, Simon will be able to arrange a low cost loan to start her own business. Though, I suspect a large hadron collider will be beyond even his deep pockets, so Trish might have to stay with mainstream academia, like I have.

Still, I’m quite happy counting dormice and telling people about it.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
235 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Particle physics

Trish could do worse than work at CERN when she's old enough (and possibly been awarded her PhD several years early) - after all, they occasionally have little side projects. Many years ago, a chap by the name of Tim Berners-Lee was playing around on their computer systems, trying to organise their documentation. The result? Hypertext Markup Language and the World Wide Web - a couple of products you may be vaguely familiar with... :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Wrong person?

I thought it was Simon who clocked the thugs. Cathy only hit the woman.
I know she used a few kicks but that cant be what the summons is for!

No?

With a dozen witnesses on their (the villains) side why does truth have to do with it.

But then that would be the

Raff01's picture

But then that would be the beauty of it. They sue her and the CCTV shows only them hitting her their case would be lost if it was with a jury. But maybe they're suing because they hurt their hands hitting her?

Astrophysics...

My major at Uni was Astrophysics... Until my senior (4th) year when they changed the name to Physics and Astronomy. Why the name change, you ask? Graduates were having trouble getting jobs because employers didn't know what they were "I don't want no astrologer here..." (See, discrimination was legal back then. Oh, wait, in most places here in the USA it still is...). It was the wrong major, but that's a whole nuther story.

There is a lot of overlap in education between Astrophysics and Particle Physics, even into graduate school...

Getting served... How nice. How messy. Sounds like Mr. Kite's what many over here would call an Ambulance Chaser.

Thanks for sharing,
Annette

'for the benefit...

kristina l s's picture

.. of Mr Kite there will be a show tonight.....', sorry. I rather suspect he'll be left flapping in the wind. Might get messy for a bit though. But what's a day without drama? Oh and never mind the dregs in the wells, invent a cheap synthetic alternative and license it relatively inexpensively and widely, if discriminately, just to kick the oil mob in the shins.

Kris

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1673

If Kite knows the address, so do the thugs. If Simon closed the gates, then he trespassed by overriding the controls, unless there are manual controls. But even then, would not Maureen install a touch pad or some sort of security? Whatever the answer, I see the thugs trying to cause harm.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The law is a ass.

The law is u' ass but a ridiculously expensive one. What ever happened to justice.

Good story Angie.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

I have been of the mind for

Raff01's picture

I have been of the mind for years that laws should be passed. So that if someone gets hurt while commuting a crime, robbery, breaking and entering, murder, arson etc, they should lose the right to sue, until after a court trial to prove if they are guilty. And any lawyer who helps those types of criminals should be disbarred for life.

It's like a story my dad told me of a man breaks into a home, trips on a rug and sues the owners. He broke in, meaning he was there illegaly. I have no trust in the legal system at all.

I am waiting for 2015. Remember Back to the Future 2? The greatest line in that crummy movie was talking about his (Marty's) son being arrested and tried in under 15 minutes.

"The justice system is faster now that they outlawed lawyers" or something like that.

not to mention the burglar

not to mention the burglar who broke his leg, dropping the TV set (remember those big catode ray tubes?), he was stealing.

he got awarded $1 in damages, but his lawyer got the regular rates for the case, maybe paid by the homeowner's insurance.

i recall

Raff01's picture

A story about a kid breaking into a school. Not sure if it was true or not, I heard this in 1995 or so, but the kid breaks into the school through a skylight, falls and hurts his leg, then sues cause he was able to open the skylight.

A significant number...

A significant number of these cases get settled before they ever get to court - on the grounds it will cost less to settle than to fight it out... :-( This is even more true in medical malpractice here in the USA. (In this case the Insurance companies almost always settle... Which raises the rates docs end up paying... Irrespective of the merits of the case. Why? It costs $$$ to defend the case, and there's always a risk a jury can feel sorry for the plaintif and let them win, even though all the evidence says otherwise.)

No - these "ambulance chasers" Take on lots of cases with little (or even no real merit). They don't get paid unless they collect something... Then, they take their money off the settlement/award BEFORE their client sees anything. There have been cases where their clients got little or no money at all...

Anne

It will be interesting

to see what the ever reliable James will find out about the solicitor, Hopefully something nice and juicy so it can be used against him, Surely he must be aware of what really happened and if thats the case he deserves anything that comes his way...

As for young Nathan i guess he might say a lifetime of being bullied by his peers because of his name led him to his act of violence against Cathy and Simon ... Daft thing is with the way law acts in the UK, He might just get away with a slapped wrist....

Kirri

There is a tradition in British law.

The lawyer representing a (possible) felon must NOT KNOW that the felon is guilty. If the felon admits to his lawyer that he is guilty then the lawyer must recuse themselves even in mid-trial. This of course, does not apply if the felon pleads guilty. I am not sure if it applies to a solicitor.

Never work in the U.S.

For one thing, it would be a dead giveaway that the accused is in fact guilty. And there is no way the accused could ever get a lawyer. Here, a criminal defense lawyer will want to know what the accused did, so he/she knows what to look out for. Of course, there might be an honest lawyer (Hey, it could happen!) who would resign if he found out his client was guilty, stranger things have happened. But normally, knowing a client is guilty means a higher fee for the lawyer. "If I get you off on this one, you are going to owe me big-time!"


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Indeed

If a lawyer resigns and does not explicitly give a valid reason such as non payment then the defendants goose is cooked as it is obvious there is something funny going on.

I do not even know that the convention is still followed but not following it was grounds for disbarment decades ago. I think it was a don't ask don't tell thing. You don't admit guilt to your lawyer and don't lie and the lawyer will not ask. I would have to check but I think that admittance of guilt was excluded from being a privileged communication.

actually, a lawyer getting

actually, a lawyer getting his client off the charges, despite knowing he's guilty, is guilty him/herself of perversion of justice. on the other hand, a lawyer can't act against the interest of his client. so stepping away is the only option.