Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1605

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1605
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

For the next hour the darkness was rent with the sound of small arms fire and sirens. I could see the headline in the paper the next day, ‘Firework display gets out of hand,’ or‘Military exercise alarms sleeping children.’ No one would tell the truth, it was beyond belief or more than the lies would be. An exclusive would be given to one paper or radio station and that would be it.

With the infra red equipment they have on helicopters these days it would mean all the bandits would be rounded up and hopefully an end to the whole business. Although in reality all it would take would be someone to draw up in a van outside the house with a bunch of flowers or a parcel and shoot whoever opened the door.

I wondered about making the property more defendable, getting stronger doors, shutters on the ground floor windows, an electric gate with a speaker and rebuilding the fences in something more substantial, like brick. It wouldn’t keep out trained operatives, who can climb six or seven foot walls quite easily, even with razor wire on the top of them. The machine gun post and control towers we’d leave for later.

I did think about trip wires in the woodland, but the kids play there and we have badgers and foxes which would trip them. It looked like some sort of compromise was necessary or we needed to move.

By three, the fighting seemed over and the helicopter had flown away–it was a naval one, a lynx with all sorts of weaponry aboard, but mainly used for the electronic surveillance stuff. The cavalry were a police SWAT team and a small team of special forces who so happened to be attached to a warship in Portsmouth harbour.

The man in the suit, Mick Thomson, wouldn’t give too many details, except to say one of the attackers was arrested having been injured in the knee with what looked like an arrow, except they didn’t know of any angry Cherokee in the area, so the man might have been mistaken and it could have been a bullet that hit him. The missile had hit the side of his leg and shattered his kneecap. I blushed but not through any sense of guilt.

With the injured man, another four were captured and carted off for interrogation. It was assumed the man running the show would escape, possibly via Spain, pretending to be a Spanish national. However, Thomson suggested he might have a surprise, in that the Spanish authorities were quite clued up and would attempt to arrest him as and when he landed there.

Two of the attackers were injured, one after resisting arrest and the other was shot but not badly injured. So five men caught, three of whom were wounded or otherwise injured by the defenders. Chief Inspector Wordsworth was also injured apprehending the one who resisted arrest–his nose was broken by the bandit head butting him. He apparently still caught the man and knocked him unconscious.

I attempted to thank all the men who had come to our rescue but Thomson told me he’d do it for me, and for the police and naval team, it was a real training exercise, only with live ammo.

“But they could have been killed?”

“Yeah, but the rest would learn from it.”

“That would be a great consolation to the family of the deceased.”

“Alas, that would be true–but we train these guys very well and if they get shot it usually means we either missed something or they did. These would be assassins may have been professionals, but they’re piss poor compared to our special forces lads, who could have killed them all and no one would have heard a thing.”

“So why didn’t they then?” I asked the obvious question, least ways I thought so.

“Just in case their leader was watching.”

“You’ve lost me,” well he had. I mean if they thought the guy was watching why didn’t they get him too?

“He was watching electronically, they were all wired up with digicams and sound stuff. The bangs and lights were enough for him to know we were ready for them.”

“If you were ready, how come we had to call you?”

“We were on yellow alert, to have this lot standing around all night would have cost a fortune, especially if they hadn’t attacked until next week.”

“No, but I had to pay for the two men we had protecting us.”

“Lady Cameron, it’s not as if this is a council house and your husband a street cleaner is it–I suspect you could afford it.”

“Yes but when Simon’s bonus is discussed, the media won’t be too happy, will they, even if I tried to explain most of it was spent protecting the family from terrorists–most of the public would probably be happy if the terrorists got him.”

“I feel you’re exaggerating somewhat, Lady Cameron.”

“A little, but you know how bankers are perceived by the public, it’s probably worse than estate agents and lawyers. I mean public opinion caused that bloke from RBS to eschew his million pound bonus, and I doubt terrorists have been after him.”

“I don’t think other banking families seem to attract the ire yours does, though I’m sure you don’t do much different to them in regard to financial activities and services.”

“I can’t comment on those, Mr Thomson, I don’t know what we do, let alone other banks, but I do know we won’t give in to anyone who threatens us.”

“I admire your spirit, Lady Cameron, but I think opening a bookshop might make fewer enemies than an international bank.”

He left after telling me to keep the H&K somewhere safe until he decided it wasn’t needed again. I protested that in doing so I was breaking the law and could end up with a prison sentence. He simply told me that would not happen provided it was kept safe and only used in dire emergency–‘after all, barbed arrows are hardly legal, are they?’ That did make me shudder a little and I resolved to hide them more effectively than just in my wardrobe. I was sure Maureen could design some sort of concealed cupboard for weapons. I had a flashback to movies like Kickass and some of Arnie’s where the hero had a whole room full of weapons suitable for sinking an aircraft carrier plus more guns than the average military magazine. I chuckled, a cupboard built into the wall of my study would do fine, and I could hide my biscuits in there too.

The next couple of days saw us recovering from the trauma of the attack. I also demanded the removal of the sandbags from my study–I couldn’t get to my biscuits, the drawer of the filing cabinet was blocked by sandbags.

I sent Maureen an email saying what I wanted and she replied that it would take a week or two to organise but that would be fine. It wouldn’t be a cupboard but a mock fireplace, which would have a real gas fire fitted to an external wall and the fireplace would contain two lockable but hidden cupboards with a release switch disguised as part of the decoration. It sounded quite good.

With Tom’s agreement, I also started pricing security gates making the front of the house more protected. Simon agreed to fund much of it as well as security lights and some infra red CCTV–could watch the badgers at night.

James would advise us on that except he was in Russia trying to discover about this girl, so some of the planning would have to wait. I wasn’t too disappointed, it seemed winter had arrived and everywhere was freezing so having the house knocked about again wasn’t appealing by any stretch of the imagination.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1605

I still say that a herd of rabid dormice would be the best security

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Just a normal day

in the Cameron household. I bet the children 'amplified' the story when they returned to school.

Susie

Well it only took three raids against Fort Cameron

to finally get her to up security.

I wonder if there will be another attempt? After all there is a lot of dosh in question here.

I think some on-call security is in order for them; not have a security team on-site but have them on extreme quick response.

Kim

Another 'rip-roaring chapter'.

Well another lunatic night for the Camerons, guns, choppers, special forces ... you name it. Still a seemingly good result with the terrorists captured. I wonder if it was the bankers from America and what was the connection to the 'Latvian' girl?

Still some ways to go towards finding the solution. Still lovin' it.

Thanks Ang.

OXOXOX.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Instead of an H&K, why

don't they give Cathy a more substantial weapon. She's proven that she can use them. Hmm.. I'm wondering if her skill in defending her family is another manifestation of the blue light phenomenon? She does seem to go into superhero mode when those she loves are threatened.

Never a dull day...

...or a dull night, in this case! Even so, this was probably the least dramatic of the various sieges in that it was over within about half an hour because the police and special forces were doing their job properly (for once). The only injury on the protection side was the Chief's broken nose - unlike last time when a police dog was blue-lighted. Then of the attackers, one was shot, one was beaten unconscious, and one took an arrow to the knee...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Looking out of my

window right now, I can see a healthy covering of snow and like Cathy mentions its brass monkey weather... So maybe Cathy had a glimpse of the future weather forecast when she decided against alterations But what ever the reason unless you plan to move out whilst work is being done, Putting it off to the summer does seem much more sensible. Of course if Cathy was so minded she could always buy somewhere more secure, But given that she seems to acquire homes as fast as children maybe she should just wait.....

Kirri

It is probably for the best that Cathy

is not revenge oriented. If she were a squad sent to deal with the guys who started this would be in order, and while it would be illegal and possibly immoral, it would be appropriate.