Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1741

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1741
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Who was that geezer?” asked Danny.

“Gareth’s brother, Geraint. I thought I introduced everyone.”

“Not to me you didn’t. Gareth didn’t have a brother, he’s got a sister called Hi-wind or something.”

“Say that again,” I said firmly.

“Gareth didn’t ’ave a brother, he’s got a sister.”

“How d’you know that?”

“He told me ages ago, she plays soccer in ladies team in Brecon or something.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, he told me when we were larkin’ about with a ball in the garden, he saw Trish play and said she reminded him of his sister, Hi something or other.”

“Heulwen?”

“Yeah, could be.”

“Simon,” I called, “we’ve got a problem.”

“Yeah, what?”

“Tell your dad.” I urged Danny.

“Gareth didn’t have a brother, he’s got a sister.” I left them to talk and went to call Andy Bond.

I explained what had happened. “We haven’t had anyone here purporting to be Gareth’s brother, we’ve been talking to a woman, I think.”

I gave him the car number, he checked it against the computer. “It’s a rental car, it could take days to find out who rented it. I’ll get CID to speak to you in the morning.”

“Anything on James?”

“No, nothing as far as I know.”

“Thanks, Andy.”

Daddy was talking with Simon and Danny. Trish meantime called me. “Is this the number of the car?” she showed me a slip of paper.

“Yes, why?”

“It’s owned by a rental company.”

“Yes I know.”

“This is the guy who rented it?” She showed me another screen.

“How did you find that?”

“Better you don’t know, Mummy.”

“Did Sammi show you?”

“Um,” she blushed.

“Can you cover your tracks?”

“Oh yeah.”

“And this is the man and where he lives?”

“According to their computer, it is.”

“Never tell anyone you can do this, and certainly never tell the police.”

“I might only be eight, Mummy, but I’m not stupid,” she yelled after me I was already running.

“Can you put the kids to bed?”

“Yeah, where are you going?”

“To check something out.”

“What?”

“An address, if I’m not back in an hour, Trish knows where to send the police.”

“Send the police...?” Simon goldfished.

“I love you, sweetheart.” I pecked him on the cheek and grabbing my bag and my coat–all dark colours, I scooped up my image intensifier and rushed off to the car. I could vaguely hear Simon calling after me, but I was intent of seeing if the car was where Trish predicted it would be–at the house of the quarry owner’s son. It gave new meaning to quarry, as this man was now my quarry.

I was there in half an hour. It was a huge place purporting to be patrolled by guard dogs–why can’t they ever be patrolled by dormice? Those I can deal with.

I walked round the property having parked my car some little distance away. I couldn’t quite see over the tall wooden fence. Oh for an electric screwdriver and a drill bit.

The place was at the end of a cul de sac of very large and expensive houses, and the property in question backed on to some trees. Not bad for a bankrupt, though of course the guy who killed himself signed everything over to his wife so technically this was her property.

Using the image intensifier I wandered into the woods, my trainers virtually silent on the hard earth path. I found a tree which I thought I could climb and with difficulty began to scramble up through the branches. Finally, after a very sweaty ten minutes, I grunted my way on to a branch which enabled me to see over the fence. Bingo–there was the BMW hire car.

I took a photo of it, with the number plate showing sufficiently clearly to identify it. We now had a case for the police to visit. But looking round a bit further, I saw a bit where the wooden fence looked lower, it would be a bit of a squeeze, but I’m not that fat.

The descent was quicker, mainly because my foot slipped and I fell about six feet into a bush, frightening myself and nearly causing heart failure to a couple of pigeons who were roosting in a nearby tree. It took me a few minutes to get my breath back and to ascertain that I hadn’t actually broken my neck or anything else.

Once I managed to stand up and wipe off the mud and twigs, I slipped through the woodland and trotted along the fence to the area where it seemed lower. On closer inspection it wasn’t only lower it was loose and a few minutes work with my penknife and I had opened up two panels like a small doorway.

From my view in the tree, I could see the house had a basement area on the one side just past the swimming pool. Swimming pool–that’s a laugh with the summer we’ve had–they wouldn’t have had to fill it, just let the rain do it for them.

As I trotted across the yard between the pool and the house, a security light came on and a large dog hurled itself at me. I dropped and turned on my back and the dog jumped clean over me and fell into the pool, splashing through the plastic floating cover and disappearing from view. I certainly wasn’t going to rescue it and get eaten in the process. Shaken, I did think about retreating but instead started to explore the outside of the house, hoping they didn’t pick up on the security lights coming on.

If they had James, and that was a big if, would they hold him in the basement, like they do in the films? Probably not as this wasn’t a film, it was real life. I crept round the place and chanced upon an open window from which I heard voices.

“You sure they didn’t twig you?”

“I charmed them all, especially that stupid Scots git and his dopey daughter.” My ire began to rise.

“They didn’t name me as such?”

“Nah, they said they had a suspect but it has to be you, doesn’t it, besides you’ve got their investigator.”

“Yeah, I’ll need to sort him in the morning–take him for a little swim at the quarry. Keep in touch, I’ll call you if I need you again. Here’s your money.”

“What about the dog?”

“I’ll call him in while you leave.”

I ran to the BMW, and as luck would have it, the car was unlocked. I slipped in behind the front seats and kept low. A minute or so later, he got in his car after putting stuff in the boot and drove off. I’m surprised he didn’t hear my heart beating. I wished I’d had the presence of mind to record the conversation on my phone, but it was probably too quiet anyway. I wondered if Mr Stone, yeah that’s his name, found his dog, I suppose it would depend if it could climb out the shallow end.

At this moment, I had other things to think about. Then astonishingly, the car stopped and he got out and went into a corner shop. It was nearly eleven o’clock. I jumped out of his car and grabbed the envelope he’d left on the passenger seat, then I scurried away up an alleyway and called Simon.

He was furious but came to get me, parking his car at the opposite end of the alley, which was just as well, because our fake brother was walking all round his car looking for his envelope. When we looked at it, it had five thousand pounds in it in used twenties. Oh well it would pay for the funeral.

We collected my car and drove home. “He’s going to kill James tomorrow, he said.”

“Drown him you said?” Simon clarified.

“Yeah.”

“I’ll bet that’s at the old quarry.”

“What if he goes to do it tonight?” I felt really worried.

I called Andy Bond and told him what I’d done. “You silly cow, don’t you ever learn. Okay, we’ll do a search of the quarry at first light.”

“What if he does it tonight?”

“Sorry, it’s far too dark to do a search and those places are death traps.”

“Si, d’you know anyone with a chopper with a searchlight and thermal imaging equipment?”

“The police?”

“One we could hire.”

“I’ll check in the morning.”

“Like now?”

“Okay, Mike Rennie used to be a police pilot he’s got a chopper–it’s going to cost an arm and a leg.”

“Simon, you’re a billionaire.”

“I won’t be for much longer at this rate.”

I left him to make his call while I had a cuppa and changed my jeans.

“Where d’you think you’re going?” he said as I returned.

“For ride in a helicopter,” I smiled back at him.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
245 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy is at it again.

I hope she isn't getting herself in too deep in this one. There is still James to rescue, and it might prove to be more difficult than Cathy thinks.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

You wouldn't get me up in one of them

Upside-down, overgrown egg-whisk.

I worked for the navy for several years and saw too many bent and broken helicopters for my liking.

Supergirl strikes again; as it's not the police following the quarry, they don't have to play nice.

S.

Choppers

The U.S. Army in it's infinite wisdom taught me how to jump out of choppers and slide down a rope while 90 meters up in the air. I have also had the pleasure of being a passenger in a OH-58 doing nape of the earth flying. For you Brits, the OH-58 Kiowa looks similar to the Lynx.

Sliding down ropes...

I can't help but think of this theme, for some reason... :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I recall...

I recall the prop tops (Helo pilots - props on Top) joking they were the only craft on the boat that knew their craft could fly, when they left the flight deck... The rest of us... Were going off the pointy end, and hoping...

As to dropping like a rock... Depends on what goes wrong with the chopper. If the rotors are intact, their autorotating does slow descent significantly - if the pilot can maintain some degree of levelness... In my three years in my squadron, the helos and the hummers were the only craft that never had accidents. Guess we were lucky.

Annette

In the Royal Navy

Angharad's picture

they call the choppers cabs, and the pilots, cab drivers.

Angharad

Angharad

Jus picked up the story again.

Went away and forgot my bloody computer. It's too bloody fiddly to use my mobile so here is latest comment. (Duhhh!) Pretty obvious that innit'.

Well she's getting in deeper is our superslueth Cathy. Still it makes for an interesting saga. I would have thought the plod would have moved pretty damned quickly if our heroine had told them the whole story but seemingly not.
(Story wouldn't be so much fun if the plod were anygood anyway.

Good chapter Ang. Still a good read and I'm still enjoyin' it.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Helicopter Bow Hunting

I wonder how good a shot Cathy would be using her bow and arrows from a helicopter? And night vision goggles as well.

Michelle B

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1741

She should be wearing a leotard and tights, or spandex.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

There she goes!

I knew it, I knew it. I hope she gets her bow before she goes hareing off to fight crime.

The game's afoot

I had to go and open my big mouth did I... (Wonder if Gareth's sister's cute. LOL Sorry, given all the lust over Gareth, and even a bit over Geraint, I figured it was appropriate. *sighs*)

PC Bond's right about how dangerous quarries can be!

Wonder what Cathy'll find (from the helimicopter {intentionally miss spelled}... Perhaps James?)... How high with the chopper have to fly - to not be heard. You know the bad guy'll likely assume any chopper over his quarry is the cops and try to take out James then and there...

Look forward to you cleaning up this twisted plot. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

She should be wearing a leotard and tights, or spandex.

Stan was missing a few things. The girdle and bracelets of the amazon queen and a utility belt.
Go Catherin Go. I now want an action figure where can I buy that one. Hay a way to support your family Angharad sell a Catherin action figure. Include a dormouse sidekick. It would sell in the states.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

The W Team

It's starting to become almost a double act - Cathy has suspicions, Trish will hack into the Police National Computer (plus various other databases that really shouldn't be accessible from the 'net) and verify the suspicions are true, after which Cathy will turn vigilante.

Andy (and probably Simon) would hate the concept, but... if you have a problem...if no one else can help...and if you can find them...maybe you can hire...The W (Watts) Team.

(snicker)

It sounds as though my suspicions when Sammi moved in may be proving true: Trish acquiring a partner in crime...

Just thought: on a less criminal / vigilante note, when Sammi starts back at university, a certain someone may be very interested in reading her lecture notes :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Nice twist

and if i am honest one i did not see coming (but then when do i ever see them coming!) Although quite where Cathy would be be with out the help of Trish and her ever so slightly illegal use of computers is anyones guess..

Kirri