Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1617

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1617
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I hate going to undertakers or funeral directors or whatever they like to call themselves. I do however appreciate that we need someone to organise digging holes and dumping bodies or burning them, otherwise we’d be knee deep in corpses and the place would smell somewhat.

I remember being on the Isles of Scilly, St Margaret’s to be precise, the biggest one and smelling the sickly sweet odour of death. It was a hundred yards away and the breeze was blowing straight at me. It was seal but the stink was unimaginable. I suppose it would provide food for all sorts of things from bacteria to fishes, but the smell–phew!.

The woman I spoke to who was the local manager showed me the arrangement that Great Aunt Una had made, it seemed pretty comprehensive. It asked for donations rather than flowers and I made one there and then to the hospice in which she’d died.

The service would be led by a humanist chap who’d call me to make an appointment to come and see me. The funeral director could tell me nothing else except the date and time of the slot they’d booked at the crematorium. It was late morning and a wake would be arranged at a nearby pub–there’s plenty of those in Portsmouth. This one happened to be the Jolly Roger. ‘Captain, Jack Sparrow,’ went through my mind. I doubt GA Una would have understood or appreciated my thought.

The funeral was to be the following Friday at eleven thirty, so the wake would be just in time for lunch. I’d never been in that pub so I had no idea of what the food was like, it might be good or dreadful. It was all out of my hands and part of me felt relieved. I went home.

Amongst other bits of post, most of which were circulars or advertising flyers, was a letter in a plain white envelope. I took it into the kitchen passing Stella en route who said something which I missed initially but worked out to mean, she was going upstairs.

Julie appeared with the baby who was squealing at me and who clung to me as soon as I sat down. Jules made some tea while I opened the letter.

Dear Catherine,

If you have this letter then my suffering is over. I’d have loved to write this letter by hand, but sadly my hand is now too shaky to write even a shopping list let alone a physics paper or personal letter. I am therefore dictating this via my solicitor who will type it up and send on to you.

I was delighted to meet you and to learn we were related, I had loads of questions for you about the family as I’m sure you did me. I was also so glad to make the acquaintance of your lovely daughter who is extremely bright–I’ve left her some money to help when she goes to Oxford–she has to go there–Somerville, naturally, which is where I went. I’ve taken the liberty of asking them to keep a place for her in ten years time–fortunately my notoriety remains extant there. As your daughter, it seems some cleverness remains in the family genes, though it missed out my sister and I suspect your father and his sister–oh yes, I’m aware of their existence, even if they weren’t of mine. I was also aware of yours insofar as I knew your father had a single child. The rest I found out after meeting you, or as much as I know. I’m not sure how much of a scientist you really are but your sincerity shines through when you talk about dormice–I saw the film you made, or as much as these aging eyes would allow me to–and heartily approve. I include a grant for you to help fund your further dormouse studies.

The fact that you bothered to inform the school, St Claire’s, that I was in hospital with no visitors–bar your good self and the delightful Patricia–and the headmistress opted to come and see me, made my day. When you’re dying it helps make you see things in some sort of perspective, relationships are the major thing in life and I’m sorry I didn’t realise I had a living relative so close by.

I wish I’d got to know you, the little I saw I so enjoyed and if your other children are as delightful as Patricia, then I really did miss out on having a family.

My suffering is over, I hope some of me will remain in your memory albeit our acquaintance was so short. I’d be delighted if you’d accept the burden of being my next of kin and helping to arrange my send off. I’ve made specific arrangements for my funeral and money for a party afterwards.

I don’t believe in afterlives or such things, but in case I’m wrong, I have the possibility of seeing my Erwin again and possibly his cat.

With affection,

Una.

(pp. John Thorneton)

I read and re read the letter while I sipped my tea. I’m really glad I met her not for the money she left my dormouse studies or to Trish’s university fund, but because she was such a character.

Who’d believe that my rather staid middleclass family would have such a black sheep amongst it? I suppose I’ll be seen as one as well by future generations–except that there won’t be a future generation after me. Genetically, the line ends with me.

I hadn’t thought of that before in those terms. Okay, before I transitioned or had surgery, I was aware I’d be unable to have children of my own but my life was so troubled that I’d not have been able to cope with them had I been able to reproduce. So it’s only now, recognising that my parents would never have been grandparents except to my adopted children, whom they’d have loved, I’m sure–but there’d always have been something missing–they weren’t of their own flesh and blood.

I’d had the privilege and joy to be involved in seven children’s lives, sadly now only six. I couldn’t have had any for whom I’d felt any more love nor received it more than I had from these little lost souls. They’ve added something to my life and I hope I have to theirs. They may not continue my genetic line but they carry my spirit and I know, at least one of them also carries the spirit of Great Aunt Una, and I knew she’d approve.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Undertakers ...

... don't bother me too much and I guess I'll be bothered even less when I'm the star attraction. You don't get to my age without losing a few close relatives and, sadly, a few friends as well but the best funeral (in the sense of providing some sensible 'closure') I ever attended was that of a club mate who'd organised a humanist funeral for himself, so I hope Great Aunt Una's is as satisfying as John's was.

You continue to churn out excellent episodes day after day, thanks.

Robi

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1617

No, Una was not a black sheep! She was a calico!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

No real comment

Beyond 'tissues'. having a crap day, so this one hit home. Then again, it would have struck anyway.

That one touched me deeply,

That one touched me deeply, and I now find myself sitting here crying. Silly old me. I'll get over it.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

It's nice that...

It's nice that Cathy had a relation she "liked". As I've said before, it's too bad the two of them couldn't get to know each other more. But, hey... You've enough characters to juggle. :-)

Thank for the story!
Anne

Cathy seems to have

an abundance of love for her children. Really dosn't matter that they aren't genetically hers. While genetics certainly had a role in how a child turns out, parenting has a huge role. No one (rational) can complain about Cathy's parenting or question her love for her children and her extended family.

Nice letter

kristina l s's picture

Good stuff Ang, not simple is it this stuff. Yet I have found being a black sheep and having an Auntie who was another that they are often the most interesting and together people of the bunch. Myself perhaps excluded, I'm boring.

Oh I suspect GA Una would have known exactly who Jack Sparrow was and probably made plans to reform him... a little, if they met. If she ever watched 'Chocolat' and saw JD as the gypsy guitar player she'd certainly have given him a look. I know I did, so did Juliet Binoche and I suspect more than a few other women and likely a few men too.

The end of the line is something to wrestle with but..... choices, ya know.

Kris

Losing relatives

For most of us, the hardest part about death is the feeling about all the questions we forgot to ask and can now never be answered.

The genetic 'full stop' is also a huge issue for most transgendered people and no matter what, the thought of 'the line coming to the end' is a thought that comes to us all.

I sometimes think that's what hurts many parents the most when they learn that their child is transgendered and is going to transition. The issue is a very painful one for the families as well.

I also loved GA Una's letter. It touched on so many aspects including the agnostocism of life after.

Good chapter Ang.

Still lovin' it cos it's just plain GOOD!

Bev.

OXOXOX

bev_1.jpg

given where we are

given where we are

i wonder what autie una's birth certificate says.

What a

thought provoking chapter that was Angharad, As ever you make us think as well as entertain us, Not many can achieve that and certainly very very few who write a new chapter everyday :)

Kirri

Watt Cathy hasn't totally wrapped her head around

is death is not the end. If both parties are agreeable, and one of them is blessed by a Goddess, then the tea side chats do not have to cease.