Ginny's Story Chapter 90

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2019 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 90

Darn right I woke them up, snuggling in Afghans in front of a crackling fire while I was tending a drafty bar, making cocktails for a bunch of drunks. I slid onto the sofa and stole part of Ellen's wool Afghan, I gave her a peck on the cheek said “Goodnight”, and was quickly sound asleep.

They returned the favor at 5:30 when they woke to get ready for sitting in the office trailer, looking out the window at the seagulls riding air currents over the harbour.

I rolled over. covering myself in the whole blanket while asking Wendy to toss a log onto the hot coals from last night.

They left around 6:15, I kept snuggling until the loo called about 10 AM. I decided to stay up and watch the news on television until the Price is Right came on at 11. Drew Cary never looks as comfortable as Bob Barker did when getting hugs from the contestants.

Ellen had left me a note saying we needed to talk about me buying the condo, and what Wendy will do after she (Ellen) marries Pete and moves out.

I had spoken to my bank about a short term mortgage, after putting down a deposit of $50,000. Ellen was selling me the condominium for $275,000, a little under the market value, but still more than she paid for it ten years ago.

Wendy was another story; at 18 she was mature enough to be left to her own devices, especially after living on the streets for over two years. I think Ellen had forgotten that. I'd be home when she got up to go to school, plenty of time for us to talk. We'd also have all day on Sundays to hang together. As if a teenager wanted to “hang” with a twenty something! I didn't even know if I could help with her assignments, after me being 6 years out of college. Oh well, bridges to be crossed later; first, buy the condo, second, make sure Wendy does well in school.

I got ready for work with my 'wow' makeup, tight skirt and a pink see-thru blouse. 'Thank goodness,' I thought, 'we can wear trainers', but today I picked out an open toe shoe with a strap that surrounded my ankle, holding the shoe securely to my foot. I did however toss my hot pink Nikes in my bag.

I hurried over the causeway to pick up Jean. During the ride to Quincy, I asked her if tips improved the closer we got to Christmas.

“Actually, I do get more twenties the closer we get; also requests for lap dances.”

I looked at her, “Lap dances? Do you do many of those?”

Jean laughed, “Depends on whether they are dressed like Ozzie or Harriet.”

She had me stumped, “Who's Ozzie and which Harriet?”

That got Jean chuckling, “I forget how young you are, they're Ricky Nelson's parents. Ozzie was a band leader who had a TV show with Ricky and his older brother Dave. This is before his nasal lip sneer.”

We said goodbyes and headed for our lounges. Before the club was open, I noticed Hiram in his usual bar chair. He waved, calling me over.

“What's shaking, Hiram?” I asked, “You get evicted from your penthouse?”

“No, a teleconference with our overseas partners and Ian. We discussed your idea for increasing the hours we're open. They thought the idea was brilliant, and voted to make the changes by January 15th.”

“Wow, that's great, what else?”

“They wanted to promote who ever came up with that idea. I said that there was no position available, but our British partner asked about our expansion plans to open a club in Danvers and did we already have management staff hired? I put your name in Ginny, at least as assistant club manager. Are you interested?”

I leaned over the bar and kissed him, asking, “When do I start?”

Hiram laughed, “First we need to talk money, then start interviewing for hostesses and singers, not to mention bar staff.”

“I already have two bartenders, a singer and a couple of hostesses. One head bartender per lounge, and one main talent singing. The others may lip-sync if they're good. Strippers for the dance floor lounge are easy, We need a live band that can play 60's and up.”

“Just how long have you been thinking about this kiddo? Seems like all bridges are covered. The planned opening is late April. Staff must be ready by April 1st.”

By now Cathy was here, wondering about the serious looks on our faces.

“How about Halloween drinks? I lost them in my purse. Are you two ready?” I asked

Getting affirmative nods, I started. The first one is called the BAT BITE:
mix 1oz of black rum with 4oz of cranberry juice, pour into a highball glass and filled with ice.

The next one is called the DEVIL'S MARGARITA: Mix 1 1/2oz white tequila, 1oz lime juice, 3/4oz simple syrup, 1/2oz red wine. Garnish with a lime slice.

“Who gets which one?”

Hiram quickly asked for the Devil's Margarita, leaving Cathy with the Bat Bite.

After a few cautious sips, both had big smiles and a request for another. Two more drinks to add to my list.

Things got busy, so I returned to drawing beers and making simple cocktails for the waitresses.

I noticed Ian talking with Hiram and avoided getting close enough to eavesdrop. It was near midnight when I got close to Cathy and Hiram.

“Ginny, be ready to work close to home in April, You have the assistant club manager's job, You will hire staff and waitresses, we'll post the openings here and on the first of the month, start auditions in Danvers. I'll be the manager at first; when I think you're ready to solo, you'll be in charge. By the way, salary is $100,000 per year plus 10% of the club's net up to $200,000. Also 4 weeks paid vacation, Interested?”

“Where do I sign?”

Being nosy, Bobbi walked close enough to eavesdrop. I turned to her and asked if she wanted to work in Danvers at the new club. I also wanted Joyce from the upstairs bar. Terri the Tiger and Arianna would fill out my demands, the rest we'd fill in. I could open the club with these four plus myself.

Hiram looked at Cathy and nodded, “There's the new boss, can I pick 'em or can I pick 'em? This club will have different hours, Opening at noon and closing at midnight, 12 hour shifts, five days a week, closed Sunday and Monday. We'll keep a log of fill-ins in case we need cover staff.

Things normalized and got quiet to closing. Wow, would I have something to talk about on the ride home with Jean!

When we got in the car, she could tell something was up and before she could ask, I started to tell her the news, including my offer to her to headline the stage in Danvers. I told her my requests for bartenders and to headline Ariana, with her breaks filled in by either singers or great lip-syncers.

Jean was excited; after all, she followed me from the Naked City to the Candy Cane, why not to Candy Cane II? Naked City! I should drop in and talk to the manager, letting him know about the new club and that I would be hiring in April. So if there were any talent floating around, have them drop in and see me. I supposed I should advertise on those internet places also. Let's see, 'stripper wanted, see Ginny at xxx-xxx-0516.' You never know.

When I returned to Quincy, I sought out Hiram to run a few ideas past him. He felt waitresses would flock to us, and strippers were a dime a dozen, a lot of kids needed college money. We could hire other bartenders from any place to work with Bobbi and Joyce, with me teaching the juggling to two girls.

I remembered the waitress coming to see me tomorrow to learn the bottle tossing. three down, one to go.

I looked up and saw my waitress just approaching the bar. I gave her a wave and she came over.

“What's up Ginny? “ she asked.

“How would you like working behind a bar full-time?” I asked her.

“Are you kidding? Who do I have to kill?”

I quickly explained what was going on in April, and told her I needed honest bar staff, I told her Bobbi would manage the main bar and Joyce would do the same upstairs, so she would know those two. Also to talk it up that we needed wait-staff and dancers for the 1st floor stage.

She gave my arm a shake and said leave it to her, she'd fill out my staffing needs.

I realized I had to go upstairs and talk with Arianna and Joyce. Ari I caught coming off a set and squealing, she gave me a bone cracking hug. I said the same to her, that I would need other singers, and did she know anyone?

Again I was told not to worry, she knew a few singers looking for a new venue.
That settled, I went to the bar to talk to Joyce. She lived in Quincy on the beach and wasn't interested in working up north. Joy on the other hand lived in Peabody just next door to the new club.

All set! Now to tell Hiram if there was an apartment for the manager, I wasn't interested, I just bought a condominium in Swampscott and wouldn't move.

When I told Hiram, he shrugged, and said down the road, the assistant manager could live there,or maybe he'd move, and live there himself.

I was so excited, I can't remember the rest of the night! Tomorrow was my day off, so Ellen and Wendy would get an earful. Maybe, we'd drive over and look at the new bar area.

I almost drove off without Jean, which gave her more fuel to tease me all the way back home.

“Let me know if and when you go snooping around,”Jean said. “I might like to come too, lunch on me, if I do. Good night, give me a call.”

To be continued.


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her encouragement, support, and editing, without which this story wouldn't exist.

Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing her book "The Candy Cane Club" to be used in my story.
up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm Excited for Genny

Samantha Heart's picture

Dhe also needs bouncers not that any member would get rowdy but it could happen. Guard staff, everything else i think is covered except kitchen staff. Also the strippers & wait staff have to be Transgender with out having the surgery or cross dressers strippers have to be trans fully equiped still. Genny will have the condo paid off in no time lol.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Wait staff

Don't forget the waitresses are not only CD/TG, but they are free lance. They pay the CCC a fee to work there.

Karen

Given that some

butholes view TG girls as punching bags the bouncers May be mor important than first assumed.

Almost Too Good

joannebarbarella's picture

I do hope nothing goes wrong with all these grand plans.

Thanks Karen,

' good to have you back on deck . Bronwen has been keeping me informed of your progress . The new venue will bring lots more
excitement not to mention new cocktail mixes :)