Ginny's Story Chapter 95

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2019 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 95

After a good breakfast, I drove to Danvers to meet with the Real Estate agent and Hiram. I left the bare knuckles stuff to Hiram and headed for the 'Naked City' to look for staff, mainly “adult entertainers” who were either CD or transgendered.

I received a warm welcome from the manager and several bartenders. After chit-chatting, I got down to why I was there.

“I'm looking for a complete staff of entertainers, bartenders, and waitstaff, for a membership only club in Danvers. The only catch is, everyone MUST have been born male. The waitresses, will pay us, but keep all of their tips and private lap-dance fees, no-contact however. Anyone interested, call my cell number. The building will be under remodeling until the end of April with a soft opening the first week of May.”

I looked around, “Any ideas, names?”

I sat at a quiet end of the bar, in case someone wanted to talk privately. After 10 minutes, I had a couple of visitors, and the names of a dozen possibilities.

I then made a U-turn and dropped in the other place with adult entertainers. Again I passed the word around, and sat at a table to view the talent. Again I had visitors, and a few prospects. I saw several transgender performers myself, so I left my business card at the bar.

Oh, did I forgot to mention Hiram had handed me a box of business cards, introducing me as the manager of the Candy Cane Membership Club North?

Time to return home in time for “Judge Judy” and find out how Wendy made out.

When I entered the condo's driveway, I could hear Wendy's arrangement of
“Bang-Bang”. It must really be bad indoors.

I'll give her credit, the mute switch went on as soon as I entered.

I tapped her on the shoulder, and made a throat slashing gesture.

What's up Auntie?” Wendy asked.

“Tell me about your day at the bookstore, were the prices scary?”

Wendy giggled, “Scary enough, 100 dollars will only buy notebooks, thank goodness you gave me a charge card!”

I went and put Judy on the television.

“How does Ziti and meatballs sound for dinner? I'll thaw a blueberry pie for desert too.”

Wendy fist pumped and hollered “YES”.

I took that for an affirmative. After removing a pie from the freezer, I started on the sauce with a couple cans of “kitchen ready”ground tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce and a small can of tomato paste. After a handful of spices, I left the pot to simmer for a few hours.

I cheated, using pre-made meatballs I'd found at Trader Joe's that were pretty good.

On Judge Judy, two ex-room mates were suing over the security deposit and whose cat damaged the wall paper.

The following day dawned cloudy and 25 degrees, threatening snow by afternoon. I took a ride north to check out a few gay bars. You find talent wherever it is present. After my little spiel and a few business cards I returned home to check my email and phone messages.

Some calls I returned, others I made note of.

There was also a message from Silva Brothers, saying their architect was working on designs and there would be something for me to see next week.

Exhausted, I kicked back in the recliner and took a nap.

The next few days were a copy of previous ones, leaving my cards and talking up employment opportunities.

On Friday, I returned to the Quincy Club to say 'Hi' and find out why Jack hadn't called. Bobbi handed me a note from him saying my phone was busy and he had to fly home immediately, his father was very ill and only had a few hours, and that he would call as soon as possible. As I read this my phone rang and the caller ID said 'Cathy'.

We brought each other up to date on our past week's activities. His dad had indeed passed away and he was calling from the funeral home. That dampened my mood and I felt funny talking about strippers and bartenders, but he was really interested. He wanted to see the new location as soon as he got back. The rest is private.

I took in a couple of Ariana's songs and had a drink with Joy at her bar.

Before heading home, I cleaned off both bulletin boards. I now had a fistful of names and phone numbers.

Saturday, I spent making phone calls. I now had 30 people penciled in for interviews. I thought I'd rent a motel room for a few days, and hold auditions there.

Sunday was football, and on Monday, Ellen and Pete returned home. I set the auditions for Friday ,Saturday, and Sunday.

Monday was spent with Pete and Ellen answering Wendy and my questions about the hotel, the beach, and one of Wendy's about married sex.

We went down the street to the 'Hawthorn by the Sea' restaurant, for seafood and pop-overs .

I filled in Ellen and Pete on C3 north as best as I could.

Wendy regaled us with stories from the bookstore, and her first days of class.

We walked back to the condo and Ellen and Pete returned to Lynnfield.

I was on the phone with Hiram when I heard a horn beep outside, pulling back the curtains, It was Jack! I waved him inside, and attacked him with hugs and kisses. He seemed to enjoy the attention, because he didn't fight me off.

After we both came up for air, I made a fresh pot of coffee for us in the kitchen. Why didn't Hiram say he was home?
Hiram! Oh shoot, Hiram!

I found my cell phone under the sofa. When I held it up and checked, Hiram was still there. He suggested that he call me back in an hour or two, and hung up.

What will Jack and I do for that time?

I was just drying off when the phone rang again.

“Got that out of your system?” he asked, “Can we get back to the club, or do you need to 'say hello' to Jack again?”

Well, you know me, I turned bright stop-light red, the heat radiating from my face caused the air-conditioning to start and snow on the front steps started to melt. Poor Jack had never seen this phenomenon before, he was speechless!

As quickly as it overcame me, it left just as fast. Hiram started off as if nothing had happened, talking about the building's lease made it worth buying. What did I think?

“It makes sense to buy” I said, “Especially since our remodeling will be extensive.”

I could feel Hiram beaming over the phone. “You are not just a pretty face are you?” he said.

I could hear brakes squeal over the phone, than a thump. The phone went dead.

Oh my God! Hiram had been in an accident. But where was he when it happened? What hospital would he be in?

I related to Jack what I knew. He said it was too early to call hospitals, he was going to get his police scanner from the Escalade so maybe we'd hear the ambulance dispatch to the accident site.

We sat hugging while the scanner constantly chirped. Finally we heard “Ambulance 312 on scene. The injured party appears to be 80 years old. We'll need the jaws to get this tank of a car open. Stand by for vitals.”

We jumped up, now knowing the city and that he was still alive.

“Wait, Ginny,” Jack said, “Hiram could be sent to several different hospitals.
We'll wait. The emergency people at the scene will tell their dispatch where he's being taken.”

A long 20 minutes later we heard, “Ambulance 312 to Fire Alarm, one on board. On our way to Salem Emergency, patient is unconscious, but vital signs are …..”

Jack and I bundled up and hopped into his SUV headed for North Shore
Medical Center, Salem on route 107.

We were directed to the family waiting area. Family! I have to call Bobbi, she can call her father.

After a tear filled 10 minute call I hung up as Jack handed me a black coffee.

Forty-five minutes later, Bobbi, and her mother and father found us. Everyone had questions, setting my head to spin. Finally Jack stood and clearing his throat, got everyone's attention.

He started in with my phone call, then listening to his scanner to find out the hospital and Hiram's condition. Any more then that would come from the doctors.

We settled in for a long night. Ian made sure the doctors knew we were here.

End of Book 2

Ginny, Ellen, Wendy and the whole gang? will be back in Book 3.

Thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her encouragement and editing of this story, without which, it wouldn't exist.


Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing the use of her book "The Candy Cane Club" in my story.

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Poor Hyrim

Samantha Heart's picture

Genny, Jack & the rest of the family. I hope all goes good for him his tank of a car may have saved his life. Look foward to book 3.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Can't wait for book 3

I hope Hiram will be okay. I'm also hoping you are doing well Karen, keep up the writing and I will be here to read your next book.

EllieJo Jayne

Ginny and others...

Sorry about Hiram, but finding the story still vibrant. Looking forward to book 3. ^_^

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

All of what they said!!

You starting trying out cliffhangers?

Never saw a cliff I couldn't hang from

I'm a student of the Queen of the cliffhangers, ....Bronwen Welsh

Read Book 1 Gene's Story, full of cliff-hangers my dear.

You HAVE Been Taking Lessons

joannebarbarella's picture

Bronwen has even taught you to end a whole book with one.