Ginny's Story Chapter 94

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and <Jinny.jpg


Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2019 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 94

Time to meet Hiram. I'm going to bundle up. The thermometer is about 10 degF and my little tush hates cold!

I parked in front and waited for Hiram. Ten minutes later a deep blue Rolls Royce parked behind me. Before he could get out, I turned my key and ran around to his passenger door. As I started to open the door, I realized that was where Hiram was sitting. Silly me, the Rolls is British-made, so the steering wheel was on the right.

With a grin, Hiram gestured for me to go around to the left side. As I got in he asked if I'd ever sat in a civilized automobile before.

We chatted about Ellen's wedding and how cold it was, before getting down to business discussing the building Hiram had selected in Peabody. I pointed out the central location, the lack of parking and that we'd have members who looked like men in drag, strolling down the sidewalks.

Hiram started to say something, but I asked him how long it would take before complaints were filed with the Mayor's office.

He mulled that over and nodded his head while lighting a cigar. “What do you suggest Ginny?”

“We need an open floor plan on both stories. The third floor will have penthouses, so that isn't a problem.”

Hiram admitted that he hadn't thought about open-floor plans.

“You wouldn't have said this unless you had a building in mind, can we drive there this morning?”

“Hiram, I was thinking of a furniture or a sporting goods store, and I know of two in Danvers only a ten minute drive away.”

“Great! Lock your car and sit back. Where do I go?”

After fastening my seat belt, I told him to make a U-turn and head West on Route 114.

Wow, if I closed my eyes, I'd think we were still parked.

“At the traffic light in front of the book store, get in the right lane, and then enter the parking lot for the Liberty Tree Mall.”

Hiram looked surprised, “There's buildings like that in here? I thought they were all one story buildings.”

I just gave him a Cheshire Cat smile, and directed him to the back of the mall where there was a closed furniture store.

Hiram drove slowly around the building before parking in front.

“Well, there is plenty of parking, we're out of the public eye and I assume mall security
drives by on a regular basis. Holiday gifts would have them handle our members with kid gloves I would think.”

“Hiram, I wrote down the rental agent's phone number. Want to see the other site?”

“Why not, is it in this mall too?” Hiram asked.

“The far end from here, but it has its own parking lot. I think it was a Dick's Sporting Goods store, I'm not quite sure.”

We drove, or I guess glided is the more correct term, to the other side of the mall, passing an indoor swimming pool and several other stores on the way.

“Is that a public pool or private?”

“I believe it's privately owned Hiram, but we can stop in on our way home if you want.” I said.

We pulled up in front of the store, and parked. I could tell Hiram wasn't as happy with this one. The front facade was glass. Something we would need to cover.

“Lets check out the pool, then get something to eat,” Hiram suggested, “I think I saw a nice place where we turned in for the mall.”

It was a private pool offering swimming lessons and memberships. This seemed to interest him, so I wrote down their phone number for Hiram.

He drove us to the restaurant and held the door for me; the aromas coming from inside started my mouth watering.

We were shown to a booth near the fireplace and placed our drink orders. Hiram ordered a Cosmopolitan, while I ordered a Captain Black and diet Coke.

Their menu was huge! I finally decided on baked stuffed haddock, with a baked potato and salad.

Hiram ordered a Porterhouse steak with French fries and a salad. I saw a waitress delivering one to the next table and was shocked at the size.

“Hiram,” I said, “I hope you brought your appetite, that steak must weigh two pounds”

“I hope so,” he said, “I'm starving.”

A few minutes after our drinks arrived, the waitress brought our salads in bowls that were huge! We chit-chatted as we ate our salads.

When our waitress saw we were finished , she brought our dinners. I swear she groaned as she lifted Hiram's steak; it barely fit on the plate.

“ I have a suspicion dinner tonight will be very light, Hiram.” I giggled.

He just looked at me and smiled. I swear sparks flew from his knife and fork.

Hiram actually finished his steak and French fries.

Over coffee, he called the real estate phone number for the first location. After a few minutes, he had agreed for us to meet the broker there tomorrow at ten in the morning.

As we drove back to my car, he suggested I bring a tape measure and a powerful flashlight.

I hated getting into my Honda SUV after riding in Hiram's Rolls. On my way home I stopped in a hardware store for a 50' cloth measuring tape and a four-cell flashlight .

When I arrived home, Ariana had left for work, but Wendy kept working on the arrangement for a solo version of “Bang-Bang”. I still thought she should do the Sonny and Cher song.

I interrupted Wendy long enough to remind her that classes started next Tuesday at the Lynn campus of the college. I asked how much money she'd need for books, or would she prefer plastic?

“I'll take a charge card, thank you Aunt Ginny, I promise only to use it for books.”

I threw together some pasta and meatballs for supper. Wendy had a good appetite, thank goodness, I was still feeling my lunch. Whenever I thought of Hiram's steak, I got indigestion!

I put the left-overs in the refrigerator and made a pot of tea. Before she could start pounding on the piano keys. I told Wendy I wanted to watch television tonight, starting with NCIS.

“Okay, Auntie. I just love Mark Harmon. The older he gets, the hotter he gets.”

I wasn't going to admit it, but I felt the same way. I miss the Israeli agent, the new blonde is bland, not spicing up the show like Riva did.

'Wendy, why don't you light a fire for us?” I asked “Soon we'll be complaining it's cold.”

I made it through NCIS, but fell asleep in the middle of “The Curse of Oak Island” about two brothers looking for gold treasure on a tiny island offshore of Nova Scotia, Canada.

The following morning we had a quiet breakfast, then Wendy said she was heading to the college bookstore. I decided to put together a notebook with different contractors' names. Hey, I also found Silva brothers' phone number.

Hiram called with rental and purchase information on the old furniture store. We talked that around for a while. He gave me the green light on remodeling the place to the layout of the Quincy club, with a budget of one million dollars.
or
After hearing the budget, I called Silva Brothers to come down and give me a price estimate. Tom showed up along with Rich Trethewey to look at the plumbing. All I could think of was a PBS show, “This old TG Club”.

Tom Silva promised to have an architect contact me and if I liked their ideas, he'd have a price in a few days. What a load off my back! Now to relax for a few days, then start recruiting staff and talent.

Tomorrow I would head for the “Naked City” to see what was out there. I didn't want to steal employees or strippers from them, they were so good to me back when I was looking for Vincent Morales.

Now to sit back and watch “Judge Judy”.

To be continued, but only one more chapter to go! Ginny will appear again in another story.


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her encouragement an editing, without which, this story would not exist.


Special thank to Tanya Allen for allowing me to use her book "The Candy Cane Club".

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This has been

Samantha Heart's picture

A great story, & I agree Bishop is boring compared to Ziva. With Tony, Ziva, Abby & Ducky gone & Magee' beard.... the show sucks now; just my opinion though. I'm glad you got Tommy Silva & Richard Trethewey in now all you need is Norm Abrams to make some coustom furniture or moldings lol. If your going to use the TOH (This Old House) crew you HAVE to include Norm lol.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

I still enjoy the show

and yes, Mark Hammond is a hottie. A bar in a mall? You don't see that too often.

I still watch it every Tuesday night too

This building isn't inside the mall, it's on mall property, about 100 yards away form the mall building itself. I guess I should explain that in the final chapter, thanks