Ginny's Story Chapter 80

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2018 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 80

In my mind the song “Teen Angel” kept running. When Jean yelled, I closed my eyes and braced myself. After 30 seconds with no thump, I opened my eyes and took a deep breath.

Somehow we had missed the car that plowed into the side of the trailer, and no one behind us plowed into Jeans CRV. Typical Southeast Expressway, someone missed their exit , so they cut across three lanes, and stood on their brakes to take the exit at twice the listed speed,

This time, instead of a car, there was a 60' long trailer-truck. If it was 50' long they might have made it. Fortunately the driver wasn't injured thanks to his seat belt and airbags.

We stopped long enough to give the truck driver our names and a short statement saying the car was in the wrong. Then off to work we went.

Apparently the accident really tied up traffic heading south, but behind us! Jean and I had a nice and relaxing drive the rest of the way to Quincy. We parked and entered the back entrance, I went to our lounge, and Jean to her dressing room.

Tomorrow was our date, and I had no idea who'd show up tonight, Cathy or Jack. After chatting with Bobbi for a while, we started get some business. We decided to do our bottle tossing. This was always favorite with customers.

I think it was a little bit NASCAR where the accidents were an attraction. Bobbi and I must have disappointed a few, because we never dropped a bottle. In the movies , they can have as many takes as needed to get it right, we were live.

After filling the orders of the waitresses, I looked up and saw Hiram and Cathy at the end of the bar. One question answered, it was Cathy tonight.

“The usual tonight? Or do we feel brave?” I asked.

Cathy laughed, “Give me a Cosmopolitan and get the old guy a draft beer.”

“Don't you dare Ginny, make me a Cosmo also.” Hiram shouted.

For a Wednesday we were busy early. I didn't get a chance to talk to Cathy and Hiram until after midnight. I made a Cosmo and drew a Pabst for tomorrows date.

That sounded funny considering my 'date' was wearing 4” heels and a cute A-Line print dress. I hadn't dated someone in heels since high school, and she had acne.

“So Jack, tomorrow at 7 PM, you'll pick me up at my condo in Swampscott. Would you like directions or just the address?”

Jack laughed, “Just give me the address, I'll plug it into my phone's GPS. Heck, it cost enough, I might as well use it for something other than ordering pizza.”

Hiram reached into his pocket and came out with a black Motorola flip-phone, “You mean this has GPS?”

That got Jack and me laughing.

“What are you kids laughing at?” he asked

Now we laughed even harder

Bobbi and Chris noticed the laughing and Bobbi drifted down to find out what was going on. When I got my breath back I looked at Jack and said “100 Humphrey Street in Swampscott”.

Bobbi looked at me like I was sampling some of my own concoctions. “That's what had you laughing?”

Hiram looked at her and said, “When you butt into people's conversations, don't ask to be brought up to date, Honey.”

“But, but,” Bobbi sputtered, “they were kidding you about that old phone of yours, then Ginny said something about Swampscott, and Cathy nodded, then you snapped your phone shut and stuck it back into your jacket's pocket, and who's asking to be brought up to date anyway?”

Now everyone but Bobbi started laughing, and Bobbi joined the club of leading Santa's sleigh with a bright red face.

I looked up and saw several patient waitresses waiting to fill orders before 'last call' and grabbing Chris, broke away to start making drinks.

Bobbi rushed over and started to help with the orders by filling draft beers two at a time. In ten minutes all the patrons had a drink in front of them, and the waitresses were happy.

Before they left for the night, Hiram had Jack get my cell number just in case.

I gave them a wave good-bye as I straightened the bar area for tomorrow's shift. I was really looking forward to a day off and my date with Jack tomorrow night.

Jean and I chatted about the Celtics on the ride home after talking about our close call earlier. As she dropped me off, Jean said to call her after my date, no matter how late.

Feeling a little cute, I asked “After we have breakfast?”

Jean snorted, “In your dreams sweetie, in your dreams.”

I crawled out of bed around ten or so and after a hot shower, tossed on sweats and a tee shirt and went into the kitchen. After starting a pot of coffee I made scrambled eggs and toast. I sprinkled some bacon bits into the eggs; after all, isn't everything better with bacon?

I read the newspaper while I ate, and decided to shop for Thanksgiving on Sunday. I made a list of what I needed, and did a mental head-count. Ellen and Pete, Wendy, Ariana, Jean, and me. Possibly Jack and Hiram. I came up with six maybe eight. I'll ask Jack today, and Hiram tomorrow night.

I must have gone through every dress and skirt in my closet twice. About noon, my doorbell rang. “Now who the heck is here now” I thought. Looking outside I saw Jean's Honda.

I opened the door and in she flew grasping several garment bags.

“Your dresser is here to the rescue, my dear. I brought three outfits you'll look marvelous in,” she said.

I gave her a hug, “I've had everything I own in and out of my closet twice this morning.”

“Hmm, sounds like a couple of guys I know, dearie.”

I snorted and rolled on the sofa after what she said sank in. “Now be nice.” I said.

“Okay, I have a LBD with 4” court shoes, a cute skirt and see-through top, and my favorite, a LRD with cherry red 5” heels.” Jean paused, “If you don't like these, I have a closet full of sharp dresses, ten minutes away.”

“Red?” I asked, “Let me try that on first. I'll pull on some knee-highs for the heels.”

I took the dress and heels to my room. The dress had a tight waist that showed off my figure and came about three inches above my knees. The shoes had a strap that wound around my ankle before buckling on the side. I quickly ran out to the kitchen where Jean was drinking coffee.

I did a model's spin and said “I love it, how does it look, should I wear it?”

Jean smiled, “You look like a million dollars girl, I knew that was going to be the one you chose.”

I took off the dress and heels, and returning in sweats and bare foot to the kitchen, I gave her a peck on the cheek. “Thanks.”

Jean looked at her phone, “I have to go, do you want me to come back at five to do your make-up?”

“Jean, he's seen me for weeks in make-up, besides for half the date we'll be in the dark. I'll be okay but thanks anyway.”

“Okay,” she said, “I'll see you tomorrow then.”

After she left, I picked out what I was going to wear underneath the dress. Vickies I love you. I chose a lacy red thong with a matching push-up bra.

I hoped Cathy hadn't got them at home.

I watched game shows until it was time to get ready. Sure enough Wendy and then Ellen started to ask me a thousand questions about Jack. I told them they will see him for themselves when he comes to pick me up.

“Pick you up? He drives a pickup truck?” Wendy asked. “I hope it has four wheel drive.”

Ellen and I just looked at her. “Wendy, if you want something to do, how about doing my hair?” I asked.

“Can I? Where's your brush? I need some tools!” With that she ushered me into the bedroom and started to attack my hair with all sorts of tools. Finally she said to close my eyes and hold my breath while she sprayed my hair with what seemed like a whole can of spray.

I lust had time to pull up my stockings and my underwear before the door bell rang and in came Jean.

“You guys are making a fuss like I was getting married. It's only dinner and a movie.” I whined.

“Hush” said the girls in unison. “It's a first date!”

Jean quickly left saying “We'll talk later. I just wanted to see if he wore a suit or four inch heels!”

As the time got close, Ellen ordered me into my bedroom, saying, “You will be late, if I have to block your door, you'll be late. After he's here ten minutes or so, I'll send Wendy to fetch you.”

I stuck out my tongue, and said, “Naaaa”

We heard a car stop outside, and Wendy ushered me into my room.

Damn, I don't know if it's Jack or Cathy!

To be continued


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her encouragement and editing. Without her help, this story wouldn't exist.


Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing me to use her book "The Candy Cane Club" in my story.

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Looks like I am the first ...

Monique S's picture

"Damn, I don't know if it's Jack or Cathy!"

Does it matter? I am sure Ginny is not changig into a tux if it's Cathy. *gigles*

Nice mini-hanger.
Monique.

Monique S

Those exits are a pain...

Those exits are a pain...

The Expressway is the road that will make or break you as a great-Boston area driver. Glad to see that they made it through unscathed, I just hope they don't have to do some talking with the state police the next day!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

So we are

still in the dark?

"Would You Date This Man?"

When Cathy asked that in setting up the date, I just took for granted that it was Jack and not Cathy who'd be showing up. Reading it again, s/he didn't quite say so. But I still think that's the way to bet.

Eric

Finally Eric,

I don't believe I have you of all people, guessing!

Cliff hangers!!!!

Samantha Heart's picture

You LOVE THEM lol. I think its Jack. But will have to find out later this week.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Excited for Ginny...

She's excited for this date, but seemingly does not quite know what to do. Friends are excited for her, Me too. Who is showing up; who does Ginny want more?

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Gotta Be Jack

joannebarbarella's picture

Who would be so crass as to try to compete with his girl's outfit on a first date?

Perish the thought...

Jamie Lee's picture

...of going to the next exit then coming back to the wanted street. What that car did in this chapter has been done on both freeways and city streets. Fortunately it was done without incident, but it's still very foolish.

Why make Ginny late, just to get a glimpse of Jack? Jean has seen Cathy, and likely Jack at the bar, so why such interest now? Wendy getting excited is understandable, she can't get into the bar, but Ellen?

Exactly who is the teen and adult here?

Others have feelings too.