Ginny's Story Chapter 34

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2017 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 34

When we got to work in the morning, I started looking for driving schools for Wendy. I found out she had to be sixteen to get a learner's permit, so I had to dig into her fabricated history.

The good news was that I emailed the Registry of Motor Vehicles for the study book for a permit in Wendy's name. Now, we only had her word for her age and birthday; which Wendy had told us was in January, 2000.

The Registry asks for a birth certificate to get a driver's license. A driver's license is considered a universal form of identity, so you must have that piece of paper.

Shoot! I wonder if Pete Smith could help us out? I'd have Ellen ask him. Maybe she'll bat her eyes at him like Mae West.

Mae West, a smile like a chipmunk, and a body like a truck driver, this truck driver excluded.

Pete was going to call Ellen that day. When she came back inside I'd mention it to her. In the meantime, back to searching out driving schools.

During lunch, we switched on the news station on the radio. I was just coming in with lunch when I heard the announcer say the front page of the Herald newspaper had paid off. Evidently, Lynn Police had received several phone calls saying they knew who that was. One caller said he was a notorious drug Tsar who was presumed dead! This was going to be interesting! I pulled up the local television station on my laptop, and there was Vinny's face staring back at me!

A woman reporter in a too tight dress was standing in front of the Federal Court house in Boston saying a year long mystery may be solved. Of course, most of what she said was fertilizer, but it was Vinny.

Now the Rhode Island mob would be looking for him along with every police department in the state. I had just enough time to tell Ellen about my brain storm regarding Wendy, when her cell started playing the oldies song “My Boyfriend's Back”. I knew this ring meant Pete was calling.

After fifteen minutes or so, I heard Ellen mention Wendy, and how would we go about getting her a birth certificate. She kept saying, “But Pete, I know that,” and things like, “She can't even get a GED without a birth certificate,” and finally, “Without a GED, she can't even work a job at McDonald's, Pete!” Then finally, “Pete, I love you, I'll show my appreciation later, honey, thank you.”

When she turned around, I could tell by the watermelon grin that Pete came through. “Well,” I said, “Tell me, I'm dying to hear it.”

“Pete said he knew of a little town hall in Western Massachusetts that had a fire, destroying most of their records in 2006. They had no funding at the time for off-site electronic record keeping.”

Ellen took a deep breath, “All we need to do is ask for a certified birth certificate. Since there is no record, whatever we tell them will be believed.”

Now I was excited, and asked Ellen for the town's name and Wendy and I would head out there the following day.

“Pete said the town is East Devon, out in the Berkshires, near Great Barrington. It's about a four hour drive each way.”

“Ellen, did he say the best way to get there?” I asked, “I've got GPS, but out there it gets confused.”

When I said that Ellen looked at me with a funny expression. “Your GPS gets confused? No, forget I asked. Pete said due west on Route 90, the Massaschusetts Turnpike that is. Get off at Exit 2 head south and check your GPS or road map, the Town Hall is easy to find.”

“Ellen, today is Wednesday; going out there on Thursday should have less traffic than a Friday. What do you think?” I asked in a soft voice, hoping Wendy wouldn't hear.

“Ginny, I agree, leave first thing in the morning. You'll hit commuter traffic, but maybe Wendy will bring you luck. But leave her in the car, if she's not there, no-one can ask her questions.”

I looked at Ellen with approval, “My dear, are you sure your ancestors weren't of the Romany?”

That got me a quizzical look from her.

“Ellen, Gypsies. They prefer to be called Romany these days.”

I went over to my desk where Wendy was hard at work playing a computer game. I looked over her shoulder to see what it was. To my surprise, she was playing Spider Solitaire, my favorite.

“I hate to break up a winning hand, but first thing in the morning, you and I are taking a trip to almost Pittsfield.”

“Okay Aunt Ginny, I'd love to keep you company. What's out there?”

I smiled at that, “A birth certificate with your name on it.”

“Huh?”

I went on to tell her what Pete had said about the records fire, and it was a little town with prehistoric record keeping. This tiny town had a handful of multi-millionaires, and a bunch of locals, whose ancestors settled the town about the time of the Revolutionary War.

Wendy hardly slept and she was up and ready to go at 6am. Getting on the Turnpike wasn't that bad and by 7 o'clock we were heading West on route 90. With two girls on board, we kept stopping for either food or bathroom breaks.

Around 9.30 we came to Exit Two. Good thing the State Police were paying attention to the cars heading East towards Boston, or they might have noticed we were making very good time! I took the south ramp, found a place to pullover and entered the our destination in my dashboard GPS. I was surprised to see the East Devon Town Hall was only four miles away.

Wendy was alright with staying in the car, listening to CD's. I went inside, found the Town Clerk, and sang her my tale of woe. My niece had lost her certificate while moving. And now, back in Massachusetts, she needed a birth certificate.

The Town Clerk nodded, and asked her birth date. When I said January 15, 2000, she groaned, telling me about the fire, and the loss of all the birth records.

She walked off, returning in 5 minutes with a ledger book. Wendy's statistics were written down in a jiffy. The Clerk smiled at me and said she needed $20 for an attested certificate. In another fifteen minutes I was in the CRV with Wendy heading home.

I wish we had thought of this with me. It was a lot easier and cheaper than the route I took. On the ride home, Wendy was a little chatter-box, every fourth topic was what kind of car she should get.

Just like a teen, no permit or license, and we're on the topic of cars; not used cars, mind you, but brand spanking new little sporty cars. Being fresh, I suggested a Mini Cooper S convertible. Bad move; she squealed, and said, “Oh thank you Aunt Ginny.”

For the rest of the ride I explained that I was being sarcastic. By the second rest area, I was explaining sarcasm. Somehow I think she already knew this, and was having me on. This was her way at getting back at me. No, I was sure she knew, I kept catching her looking at me and smiling.

We actually made it back before Ellen closed up the office, but not by much! I was glad we stopped at the Roy Rogers for fried chicken.
Ellen didn't have to ask how we made out, the expression on Wendy's face told it all.

We got to the condo before her, unlocked and turned on some lights. Wendy kept staring at her new life. When Ellen walked in, after reading Wendy's birth certificate, she looked at me and asked why we didn't go this route with me.

At this Wendy's ears perked up, and looking at me asked, “What did Aunt Ellen mean by that?”

Oh damn, I looked at Ellen, who said, “She would learn sooner or later Gin.”

“I would learn what?” Wendy asked, “If Ginny is not your real name, what is it?”

I took a deep breath, and said “Eugene.”

To be continued.


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh, for without her encouragement and assistance in correcting typos and errors in punctuation, this story would not exist.

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wendy Can't Object

joannebarbarella's picture

The revelation should actually reassure her.

Have to disagree with Ginny;

Have to disagree with Ginny; her real name now is Ginny, but it used to be Eugene. Why should she be belittling herself?
Will be seeing how the Kentucky Drivers License Department views my California Birth Certificate, as it was issued back in 1942 and a "reverse image" that means it is on Black paper with White letters and numbers showing.
They are finally going to an "Enhanced DL" and the Birth Certificate is one item you have to hand to them to scan into their computer system.
Always a good one to make people take another look.
My youngest son has a US State Department Birth Certificate, and is a three page document in size 8"x11" !
He REALLY has problems with it when he has to use it; because for most average Americans, it is NOT seen all that often, if at all.

My original is about 5x9, the

My original is about 5x9, the last copy I got was 8 1/2 x 11

Karen

My GPS gets confused ...

LOL!
How did Ginny function as a driver in her previous life?
Or is it too much oestrogene ATM?
I jest - I know men who get lost once they step out the door, too.

Cats put of the bag now.

Samantha Heart's picture

Might as well tell her EVERYTHING including Venny & Tina.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Teens and cars

Jamie Lee's picture

How fortunate that fire occurred in 2000, for anyone needing an under the table birth certificate. But what happens if the unthinkable happens and for whatever reason that person has to be run in any National data base, and their real birth certificate is discovered?

Yeah, Ginny made a boo boo mentioned cars, but Mini Cooper's and sports cars aren't in the same league. Both can easily high center and get stuck in 3 inches of snow, both can fit under a semi truck without much trouble--if the driver can see them. Police would expect someone driving a sports car to exceed the speed limit, not so the Mini Cooper. Oh, and forget bring home more than two bags of groceries, unless toeing a trailer. And one has a bigger backseat than the other, if the other even has a backseat.

The one difference between a teen driving a sports car and a Mini Copper is the price of insurance.

Besides, a Mini Cooper is cuter!

Others have feelings too.

Love the engine sound of a Mini Cooper S, the originals

You know, "The Self Preservation Society" mini Coopers

Actually, the new Mini with four doors has a lot of room when only 2 people are in it. My niece just bought one in red, was that the colour Mark Wahlberg drove?