Ginny's Story Chapter 91

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2019 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 91

Christmas was fast approaching and so was Ellen and Pete's wedding! Wendy and I needed our dresses, and Ellen had to have her final wedding gown fitting. I had everyone's gift wrapped and under the Christmas tree, so that was done.

Christmas dinner would be a Butterball turkey and stuffing. Wendy wanted to take care of the rest, including snacks during the afternoon.

I had invited everyone to arrive by three to watch the football game, with dinner at five o'clock. This would allow time for gifts and coffee and desert.

The Club was bouncing, the decorations getting everyone in the season's spirit. Jean was right, the tips were more generous and the requests for lap dances more frequent. I was asked at least three times a night.

With a big smile, saying how flattering that was, I gently turned them down. I did notice that they quickly asked a waitress who usually agreed. More money this week for her!

Pete's best man, a sargent in his division, had all the arrangements fixed; the church and minister and dinner at Angelica's in Middleton. This would morph into a New Year's party, so we expected to be there after midnight.

Ellen and Pete would slip away early and celebrate the New Year in private. The next day, January 1st, they were heading to the airport and honeymoon in Key West for a week.

When Ellen came home from her honeymoon, we'd move the rest of her things to Pete's house in Lynnfield. Wendy was ecstatic at the thought of having her own bedroom. When you think of it, she went from a cardboard refrigerator box to a 14' x 18' bedroom in one year.

Hiram waved me over, signaling he and Jack needed a refill. Fixing a Cosmopolitan and drawing a draft Pabst for him and Jack I went to their end of the bar.

Jack was dressed in jeans, a polo shirt and a sweater today, but after closer examination, the jeans had little golden swans embroidered on the pockets. Hah! Gloria Swanson's logo. I thought those were impossible to find these days.

“Isn't tomorrow your day off?” asked Jack.

I nodded yes.

“Why don't we go for a movie and dinner. You pick the movie,” Jack said.

Hiram looked at Jack, then me. “Wow Ginny, this makes three dates. He never has dated the same girl three times. What have you done to our poor Cathy, is she gone forever?”

This time Jack turned beet red and I only an attractive shade of pink. I leaned over the bar and kissed Hiram on the cheek, saying “Don't you say the sweetest things.”

Jack looked like someone stole his toy truck, so I kissed him next, this time on the lips.

“I would love dinner and a movie, sweetie. Who will show up, Jack or Cathy?”

Jack laughed, saying “Depends on the weather and the restaurant, I have a pair of skin-tight black leather jeans I haven't worn for a while; also a killer pair of 4” boots that will be a perfect complement to the jeans.”

“Speaking of jeans, how do you like my Gloria's? Do they show off my bum?”

Hiram choked on his Cosmo. After getting his breath back, he said, “You two are a perfect pair. When he's on the road with the Sox, you can try on his wardrobe, and vice-versa when Jack's home.

The song “Goodnight My Love” started playing, signifying last call, and closing time was in a half-hour. I headed back to help fill the waitresses orders.

Bobbi nudged my ribs and said “Are you and Gramp's buddy becoming a 'thing'? A third date? I know what I did on my third date, will you?”

Blushing my usual Rudolph the Reindeer red, I quietly answered, “I hope so”

We both broke out in giggles causing Chris to walk over.

“Do you two have a secret ? Whisper it to me, I won't tell.”

Before I could say anything, Bobbie blurted out that I was dating the cute cross-dresser at the end of the bar.

“How about Hiram, He wears nothing but a three piece suit and he's cute too. Is he open to a date?”

I snorted! Bobbi answered before I could.

“That's my grandfather, Chris. You stay away from him.”

While Chris mulled that over, I took her by the elbow and offered to introduce her to him. By this time, Hiram knew something was going on, and walked up to us asking if his granddaughter was being protective again.

I told him Chris was interested in going out with him, but Bobbi was threatening her with bodily harm if she did.

“She's exaggerating Gramps, I never threatened her, Ginny is starting trouble !”

Now it was Chris' turn to blush.

“I'd love to take a pretty girl to dinner and a show, what night is good for you, er, Chris?” Hiram asked.

I was hustled away by Bobbi before I could hear Chris' answer.

Time to close up for the night, wash the glasses and cap the bottles so evaporation wouldn't take 5% of the profit.

Jean met me at the door and seeing the expression on my face, asked what was going on ?

I told her about my upcoming date with Jack and while giggling told her about Hiram and Chris, exaggerating Bobbi's reaction.

Jean got a good laugh from that. Then she asked me what I was intending to wear, Paul Bunyan again, or something more 'girly', and who was I dating, Cathy or Jack?

I had no idea on who was coming, but was going to wear my designer jeans, Knee-high boots, and a cable knit sweater.

Jean turned up her nose at the sweater, but conceded it was unusually cold this week, and as long as I was wearing Vicki's underneath, it was okay.

That got a good blush from me and a kiss on the cheek from Jean as she ran inside her condominium.

Wendy was excited about my date when I told her, but I think she was thinking about a week in Logan's beach house, and getting introduced to Red Sox players more than my future love life.

Jack picked me up promptly at 7 PM dressed like John Travolta in Grease. He's always good for a laugh.

That night we went to Angelica's in Middleton; Jack said he wanted to see what the food was like before the wedding. Jack surprised me with an option of a show, we could see a movie, or see a production of the show 'Rent'.

I opted for going to see 'Rent'

Ellen was at Pete's telling him where to relocate his furniture, and tossing out his favorite recliner. I'm sure Pete was loving every minute of it!

Christmas Eve at last! The decorations were perfect, gifts were under the tree, making it look like a Christmas card. Wendy took photos to use on next years cards.

I got a start on tomorrow's dinner, making the veggie sides ahead so only a little microwaving would be necessary. I suggested the same to Wendy. Make all the dips and the shrimp and hot sauce ahead. Open the olives and slice the cheeses the night before.
This way she could enjoy Christmas day, listening to carols on the radio, and watching the early football game on the big television.

People started arriving around one in the afternoon. The first here was Jean and Pete; Ariana arrived with an armful of presents, Jack arrived with a large shopping bag that got me curious, but the top was stapled closed.

Just before dinner, the doorbell rang, It was Santa Claus! He handed out small wrapped packages to everyone. As he started to leave, Wendy stopped him and asked him to join us for dinner. After a moment's hesitation he sat down beside Wendy and Jack. Removing his beard so he could eat revealed Hiram Logan!

Dinner finished, coffee served, time to pass out gifts. Wendy and Ariana started with the gifts from Santa. Wise Hiram, earrings for the ladies, and tie-pins for the men. The most popular gift this year was scarves followed by sweaters. Jean was surprised to have a gift with her name on it underneath the tree. It was signed 'Santa' and was beautiful pink LL Bean flannel pajamas. Knowing my taste in boots, she assumed it was from me, so I got a big hug and kiss. Jack brought everyone autographed baseballs, and Red Sox hats signed by Pedro Martinez.

The conversation soon went to Pete and Ellen's wedding, asking about the honeymoon and the people invited on both sides.

Midnight struck, and everyone made their goodbyes, while Ellen, Wendy, and I sat in front of the fire for a little while longer.

“This is the best Christmas I ever had, thank you two so much,” Wendy said “No drunken yelling, or fist fights in the front yard.”

Ellen and I exchanged glances, as we heard a bit more of Wendy's home life, no wonder she ran away!

To be continued.


Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh, without her encouragement and patient editing, this story wouldn't exist.

Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing me use of her book The Candy Cane Club in my story.
up
140 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Long Delay

Sorry for the long wait, the Doctors missed something and I gave them a third try. You know the expression, "Third time's a charm"?

Hugs, Karen

Drink Mix

Jammie Lyann's picture

I just want to say I have truly enjoyed your story an I am waiting patiently for the newest chapter. until then I wish to share a drink with you.

Naughty List Hot Chocolate
1 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1/2 part DeKuyper® Peppermint Schnapps
Hot Chocolate
Whipped Cream
Cherries
Instructions
Rim mug with crushed candy canes. Pour ingredients into mug. Garnish with whipped cream and a cherry.

Jammie L Thomas

I feel sorry for Wendy

Samantha Heart's picture

She is a smart & bright young woman. Who got a raw deel. Im happy for Ellen & Pete as well as Genny & Jack.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Better late than never!

I hope the medics have got it all this time
Best wishes

3rd time

Evidently, I had a very stubborn flu, adding to my CHF

Live shows are fun

gillian1968's picture

I would probably opt for the live show too.

I hope the doctors have figured something out and you are feeling better.

Gillian Cairns

Third Time

joannebarbarella's picture

That's enemy action! I hope you shot 'em down this time.