By the rivers of Babylon, chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

By the rivers of Babylon

Chapter 2
Author's note: Sorry this has taken so long. You might need to re-read chapter 1 first ...

Richard went digging for Don Ford’s contact information, as well as the last number he had for Mitch Woodward. By the time Anne had finished making breakfast, he was on the phone with Don Ford, and discovered that Don and his wife Linda had both had the same dream as well, and all of them felt the urge ... the need ...

To go back to the desert.

Soon the four of them made plans to meet up, and then go to the last known address of Mitch Woodward. Even as they conferred, both Anne and Linda remarked how ... easy it was to get the time off work, almost like ...

Something was smoothing their way.

Time passed, and finally the day came when the four of them met together and made preparations to go to find Mitch. Despite some attempts at small talk, the four of them found the whole experience less like a reunion and more like something far more serious was at stake. Indeed, both Richard and Don remarked how they felt like they had going to Iraq the first time, knowing that a war awaited them ...

Eventually, they made their way to the address they had for Woodward, and it turned out to be a mid-range hotel. They went to the front desk, and told the manager that they were looking for Mr. Woodward.

The manager made a face, but then said, “If you would please wait in the lounge, I will send a message to the person you’re looking for.”

The four of them went to the lounge, and quietly discussed the situation, and their confusion about what had happened to Woodward.

*********

Then they heard a soft voice say, “Hello, Richard, hello Don. These must be your wives. I guess you got the call as well?”

The four of them turned, and saw Woodward, now clearly transitioned to womenhood. She was wearing a less-than-figure-flattering dark red sweater-dress that went down to her knees, dark hose, and ballet style flats. She had pink-tinted fake diamond earrings, and a matching necklace and her blonde hair went down to her shoulders.

Richard tried to sound casual as he asked, “So, you did it. Transitioned. What do you call yourself?”

“Brianna.” She replied.

Richard looked at Don, who shrugged, and then the two men introduced Brianna to their wives.

Some drinks were shared, and perhaps that was why the the next hour or so became something of a blur to Richard. At some point, Linda and Anne decided they would help Brianna pack for the upcoming trip back to Iraq, while he and Don remained down in the lounge.

He tried to explain to Don an idea that had came into his head when he saw Sarah, saying “Its like what this sculpture artist said once, that he couldn’t carve an elephant out of marble, all he could do was see the elephant, and remove all the bits that didnt belong. That’s what Brianna did.”

“Yeah, I see what you mean. She’s ... just not hiding anymore.” Don replied.

Meanwhile, upstairs in Brianna’s room, Linda and Anne were sharing stories of their impressions of their respective husbands while Brianna packed, while at the same time she shared about her transition. To help lighten the mood, Linda and Anne teased her about her wardrobe while openly admiring her taste and style.

Eventually the three women got a couple of suitcases packed, and went downstairs to find the men. Realizing that they were a little tipsy, they all decided it would be better to spend overnight at the hotel and make their way to the airport in the morning.

********

In the morning, the five of them were surprised to feel no ill-effects of their drinking - no hangover of any kind. Taking that as a good sign, they headed towards the airport for their flight to Kuwait.

The flight was uneventful, but after almost ten hours in the air the five of them were glad to be able to walk around a little while arranging a car to drive them around while they were in Kuwait.

The place looked vastly different from the last time Richard, Don, and Brianna had seen it. Then it had been blackened by the smoke from burning oil, from refineries set on fire by the Iraqis as they had fled the American invasion.

Now, despite the continuing tensions with Iraq, Kuwait was rebuilding.

They slowly made their way to the border, and if they had any doubts their journey was being “helped”, those doubts were dispelled by the ease of their travel through the border to the temple, which once again looked like it had just been built rather than the ruin they had left behind.

The five of them went towards the temple, and the doors swung open as they approached, and a woman’s voice welcomed them each by name.

Once they had made it to the altar, they saw a woman standing there, and she said, “I am Inanna, and I have brought you here to thank you, and to reward you.”

“Thank us? Reward us?” What are you talking about?” asked Richard.

“Ten years ago, a man named Fadhil attempted to summon Nergal, goddess of war, plagues, and the destructive power of the sun. He wished the goddess to win his war for him, against the will of forces that even gods must answer to. That attempt failed, thanks to you.”

The five of them looked at the goddess in shock ...

To be continued ...

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting continuation, Dot.

I can just see the surprise on their faces when Inanna made that announcement.

No memories of what she says they did? How might that have happened? Some of the gods stepping in to keep things out of sight/mind?

I'll be waiting with bated breath to see just how Inanna chooses to explain what happened back then. It should be quite eye-opening.

Brianna

I like this.and thank you for asking me to check it out. :)

The Gods are involved

I think the thanks really goes to Brianna Woodward

Karen