When one door closes ...

Printer-friendly version

When one door closes ...

I know this is a day late, but consider this my Father's day present to all of you

Being a father is an incredible thing. You fall in love with this red-faced squalling baby, and as they get older, you only love them more, even when they surprise you.

And boy, did I ever get a surprise from my child, born Emily.

The signs were there young, if I had only been able to see it. She always was a rough-and-tumble tomboy, always trying to “be like daddy” every chance she could.

But it was when she was turning twelve that I finally realized something was very wrong. She had been getting increasingly depressed, and had taken to wearing baggy clothes that hid her developing curves.

I knew I had to do something, and after watching her push around her food one night, I decided it was past time we had a talk.

So when she had gone to her room, I followed, and said, “Okay, you gonna tell me about what’s bugging you, or do I have to guess?”

“You’re gonna hate me.”

“That cant happen. You’re my child, and I will always love you. And right now I’ve very worried, so let me help.”

“I ... something’s very wrong with me, dad. I ... think I must be crazy. I ... just dont fit. I try to be like the other girls, and it’s just ... not me. I ... I’d rather be doing what the boys are doing. And my body ... the more like a woman I become, the more ... wrong it feels. I hate my breasts, my hips, and especially my period.”

“From what I’ve come to understand most girls dont enjoy their periods”

“Most girls dont wish they had a ... well ... a boy part instead.”

I sighed. “Okay, this sounds serious. I ... I’ll look into this, hon. And no matter what, I’ll be with you every step of the way.”

“Thanks, dad.”

****

So began the hardest, strangest adventure any parent had to take part in. Together, we found out everything we could, and when the time came, my daughter gave way to my son, Emmet.

And today, I get to watch him get married to a lovely woman who knows his history, and loves him totally.

So you’ll have to forgive me if I start crying ...

End

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Being a human...

Andrea Lena's picture

is indeed an incredible thing. Would that we all had fathers as human as this very special man! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

thanks, Drea.

wouldn't it be nice if everyone was like him?

DogSig.png

Growing acceptance

Being a baby-boomer, I've often dismissed stories like this as "wishful thinking." And maybe that's true for far too many of us even now. However, after reading this I felt compelled to add a real-life experience of my own.

This past weekend, I attended the graduation of a young man from our local community college who was also the valedictorian speaker. Not only was his speech well accepted, but he appeared to be equally accepted by his classmates, even though he'd come out publicly as FtM barely six months ago. To be so honored by the school administration (instead of hidden away or ignored) I think says a lot about the growing acceptance in the non-TG community.

AMEN to that, Dorothy.

AMEN to that, Dorothy.
We can only but dream right now eh?
Janice

Love that you went there.

We need more than just trans woman fiction here. I would love to see the community here open up more.
* Great Big Proud Angel Hugs *

Bailey Summers

I wanted two things we dont see here often

one was a trans male, the other was an understanding dad. It just felt right to bring both those elements together

Thanks for the comment, Bailey.

DogSig.png

if one of my kids had....

opened up to me in such a way, I only hope I'd have responded so positively....... If I'd opened up that way with my own parents, maybe life would have been very different. But I didn't....... :(
Thanks from a father.... x

Awww...

That's so sweet! Emmet gots a pretty awesome dad! :)