Hollywood Secrets - "Nobody's perfect"

Printer-friendly version

Hollywood Secrets - “Nobody’s Perfect”

Well, hello, everyone. I’m Dorothy Colleen, and this is our premier episode of what I hope will be an occasional show, “Hollywood Secrets”, where we will attempt to poke our noses into the deep dark corners of Tinseltown.

Today’s episode is all about a tv show that almost was - “Nobody’s perfect”.

To understand where the project came from, we must go back to the year 1959, and a movie called “Some like it hot.”

Its a pretty well known film, but to quickly summarize the plot, the movie starred Jack Lemmon, and Tony Curtis as two musicians who witness a mob killing and end up hiding out as part of an all girl band.

In the end, Tony Curtis’ Joe gets a beautiful girl (Played by Marilyn Monroe), while Jack Lemmon is forced to reveal his true status to try and fend off a male suitor, who responds with the last line of the movie, which has become one of the most well known quotes in history - “Nobody’s perfect”.

Well, fast forward two years, and the success of the movie led to discussions of a TV show to act as a sequel to the movie, and I have managed to get my hands on the plot for the first proposed season.

The season would open with the two men struggling with the fallout of the events of the movie, and as the season would progress, the audience would see Joe fighting an inexplicable depression that even his new bride couldn’t seem to make any better.

Meanwhile, Jack Lemmon’s character “Jerry” was even worse off. Even though he had managed to shake off his male suitor Osgood, he found himself lonely and aimless, without any purpose.

The season would be filled with various attempts by the guys to shake off their funks, but things would for a while seem like a hopeless downward spiral. But, at the end of the season, just when things would seem the most dark, Joe’s wife Candy realizes that both boys miss their girl time, and getting Osgood to help her, she surprises the boys with a pair of feminine wardrobes. She tells Joe she’d rather be married to a part-time girl than lose her husband for good, and Osgood tells Jerry that no matter what Jerry looks like, he will always be in love with him/her.

The season would end with Osgood and Jerry getting married and Joe and Candy renewing their vows, with both Jerry and Joe in their female attires.

Sadly, commitments by the stars of the movie meant that the TV show would have new actors playing the parts, and that, plus the skittishness of the major networks over a TV show that ended with a gay marriage, caused the TV project to never get off the ground, denying gays, lesbians, and especially trans people the chance to have a role model decades earlier than it would occur.

Of course, its possible that with the changing of the times, the project may yet see the light of day.

Until next time, this has been “Hollywood secrets”, and I, Dorothy Colleen, have been your host.

Goodnight, everybody.

End.

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What a review, you gave me a

What a review, you gave me a great mind trip. 1959 is the year I joined the Navy, & I saw that movie a week before I left for boot camp. you gave me some warm fuzzies there young lady, just remembering the girl who "Dear Johned" me 6 weeks after I left . anyway thanks for the memories
Papa

thanks, Papa

huggles and purrs from your little Kitten

DogSig.png

William Shatner for Osgood?

Rhona McCloud's picture

For a rumoured modern day make of the series is it true that William Shatner was approached to play Osgood - I'm just watching Boston Legal for the first time and think he would be perfect for the part.

Any thoughts on who else might be cast?

Rhona McCloud

As Hollywood seems to have a

As Hollywood seems to have a real issue about creating new films, and wants to just remake older films that were considered great in their day and still are; I wonder if any of the studios has thought about remaking this excellent film with some current male film stars? That just might be the way get the story moved over to the small screen.

Dorothy can

play the part of marilynn's charater

after all she's such a girl.

Casting would be tough

I know this comment comes after 3 years, but I think You'll get a buzz.
I loved the original movie, the cis-female leads would be easy to find, but the 3 main male leads are harder. Osgood does sound made for Bill Shatner, instead of a yacht, it could be on his (real life) horse farm. The parts of Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon could be played by Damon Wayans, and any young white actor. Damon Wayons is a great comedic actor and could play the Jack Lemmon part. Tony Curtis' part was more a straight man to Lemmon's humor.

Just a stray thought,
Karen

I'd love to see it done

but yeah, finding the right actors would be tricky

DogSig.png