Near the Threshold

Printer-friendly version

Near the Threshold

Ever had an “ah ha!” moment? Where everything you think about changes? I had one. It started in an very odd place - my local swimming pool. I had just finished my swim, and I headed for the change areas when I made a simple mistake. I turned left instead of right, and walked into the woman’s change area. In my defense, I can’t see well without my glasses, and I was tired from my swim, so I missed the sign, and just went in.

As soon as I rounded the corner, I realized my mistake. Even as poor as my eyesight is, I could tell I was looking at girls, not guys.

I froze. My brain was racing in several directions at once, and apparently it had nothing left to use to actually move my body. I stood there like a statue for I don’t know how long. Ice ages came and went. Stars were born, grew old and died.

And still I couldn’t move.

The primary feeling I had was shock, of course, but even still, I was later surprised at the fact I felt no arousal from these women.

Finally, a woman looked up and must have noticed me, and the spell was broken. I fled to the safety of the men’s change room and tried to re-start my heart again.

Afterward, I sat in my room and tried to understand what had happened, and that’s when I had my “ah-ha!” moment. I realized that my mistake may have been the physical equivalent to a Freudian slip - that my unconscious mind had steered my body toward the woman’s side for a reason.

Unfortunately it would take me many, many years before I realized the message I may have been trying to send myself - that I was more female than male, in my heart.

The other really odd thing was the woman’s reaction. She didn’t scream, or act negatively in any way. In fact, I could have sworn she was as comfortable having me there as she would have been for a natural born female. And it was this revelation that caused me to run, because I was simply not prepared for having her know me better than I knew myself, at that moment.

Many long years later, and I am finally beginning a transition to womanhood, and this memory has come back to the front of my mind, and I see it so much more clearly in hindsight. And if I am blessed to make it all the way, one day I will be able to walk into the woman’s change room and have the welcome I feared back then - be seen as just another woman, going about her day.

Its something to look forward to.

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think that about says it all

There are a number of possibilities, of which this is but one.

For some of us, we went straight into denial and stayed there until the pressure built to bursting point. For some others, life is like a pan of water on a slow boil.

Start with a question; you had me hooked.

Well done, Dorothy.

thank you so much, Susan

this actually happened to me. The "ah-ha!" moment happened today, so I wrote the story.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Near the Threshold

Sometimes we know the Truth in our Heart and need only a simple unguarded moment to see the truth.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

From the deepest part of my mind.

Some times our mind get into way of us understanding our selves and our true needs.
My subconscious knew who and what I was, long before I could ever admit it consciously.

The only bad question is the one not asked.
Why do we work so hard to be so miserable?

The only bad question is the one not asked.

thank you, Nova.

Mine subconscious kept trying to tell my conscious, but I got really good at ignoring the signals. Its only now, that I finally am doing something about it, that I can look back and see these little "ah-ha!" moments.

Thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Freudian Slip.

WebDeb's picture

That comment is used to allow the inteligencia of society to hide their foibles.

If only they would study the hindsight of the adults of our generation then pehaps they would understand transgendered children and have the knowledge to treat them with more understanding.

I wish you well on your journey Dorothy. If only the medical proffession listened to our generation years ago. What if?

what if?

we cannot know. But at least it is better for the young people now.

Thanks for the comment.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png