Edward's Storm

Printer-friendly version

Edward’s Storm

My son Edward had been a happy baby, a quiet and shy toddler. Then, he hit puberty, and suddenly, he changed. Great bouts of anger and depression became the norm for him. At the time, I passed it off as the normal growing pains of a young man, until one day, something happened to change my mind.

I came home to find he had gathered a pile of pictures and put them on the floor. He was trembling, and there were tears streaming down his face.

I asked him gently, “Eddie, what are you doing with those pictures?”

“I want them gone.”

“But they belong to all of us, you cant just destroy them.”

“Fine” He said, “Take them, hide them away. I dont want to see that face ever again.”

“Whose face?” I asked.

“This face. this stupid, ugly ...” He ran off, went into the bathroom and slammed the door behind him.

I looked at the pictures, and became even more confused.

All the pictures were of him.

I was still considering this, when I heard shouting coming from the bathroom.

I got up, and made my way to the door, trying to hear what he was saying.

“I hate you! I hate you! You... You.... BOY!”

He said the last word like it was the worst curse he could bestow.

I heard pounding, and rushed into the bathroom, to find him hitting the mirror with every bit of force he had cracking it. Then, like a puppet whose strings had been cut, he collapsed to the floor, and wept.

I gathered him into my arms, and held him tight.

“Please. Tell me what’s wrong.” I said.

“Daddy... “ he said with a sob, “Make him go away. He’s ... wrong.”

He was pointing at his own reflection in the cracked mirror.

I had no idea what to say to that, so I just held him, rocking him, and stroking his hair, like I had when he was a baby.

He quieted, and I got him up, took him to his room, helped him undress and tucked him into bed. I looked around the room, and suddenly realized how atypical it was for a teen boy’s room. In fact, it was like it had no personality, nothing in it that said anything about the occupant at all.

I did something I hadn’t done since he was old enough to clean his own room, and that was to go through it carefully. I wasn’t really sure what I was looking for, other than some clue as to what he was so upset about.

I probably only found the diary because he counted on me not going in there at all, and so and just put in in his sock drawer.

I left the room, and went to the phone, taking the diary with me.

I phoned our family doctor, and said, “Dr. Miller, This is Richard Carter speaking. I need your help”

As I spoke, I looked at the title on the diary

“The diary of Elizabeth Rachel. “

I finished my conversation, hung up the phone, and focused on the diary. There, written in a feminine script that was both familiar, and strange, was a tale of such torment that anyone reading it would have been moved, even if it had been about a stranger. Recognizing that it was about my own child, it squeezed at my heart, until it felt like I couldn’t breathe.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” I found myself whispering in the direction of my child’s room, as tears fell down on the pages.

Finally, I couldn’t take any more, and I closed the diary, went to my own room, fell on my knees beside the bed, and prayed.

I stayed in that position for a long time, weeping, alternating between crying out to God, and being willing to wrestle with him, for the sake of my child.

But, eventually, a feeling of peace came over me, and I felt ... answered.

I got off my knees, and still clutching the diary in my hand, I went back to my child’s room. I sat on the edge of the bed, causing my child to stir slightly, but they did not wake up.

I stroked my child’s hair, and whispered in their ear, “You’re going to be okay, you just wait and see.”

I choked a bit, but I continued, feeling the need to say this out loud.

“Elisabeth Rachel Carter, my precious, precious daughter, you’re going to be okay.”

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Edward's Storm

Short, sweet, complete

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'll bet this happens many more times than we think

True to life.. I'm not surprised it hit you hard. Are you in there somewhere? if you are, let out some more insights, please. Sharing means caring. G xx

I am definetly in there

I've had that moment, but unfortunately, no one was around when it happened.

Thanks for commenting, Ginger

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Ditto

It took a very long time.

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpg

Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

thanks, Hilltopper

Well, better late than never, right?

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

I know the child cries in his father's arms...

Andrea Lena's picture

...and that's a very good thing. But the voice of the parent feels to me so much like a mom...perhaps because the author is so much like a mom as well? I needed to read this tonight. Thank you, dear heart.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

thank you, 'Drea

Well, its my voice, whether mom or Dad. It just felt right for this piece.

Thanks for commenting, and for all the support.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Shoot

Ummm, I'm a guy, and guys aren't supposed to have tears in their eyes from reading stories!! You got me with this one.

aww, its okay

real guys cry, sometimes. (Hands you a tissue.)

Thanks for the comment

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Reply to Shoot

You know gunrunner it have read stories that brought tears to my eyes. The secret is some guys have an inter girl and it's her that has tears in her eyes.

Be happy that you have her because she helps you understand you female friends.

Wolf_0.jpg

FINALLY a guy who DOES "get it"

What a lucky girl his child is.

Sweet.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

that's why I wanted it to be Dad, not Mom

There ARE good men out there, men who get it, and they deserve props.

Thanks for commenting, John

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Thanks Dorothy,

ALISON

The acceptance of a parent is the greatest gift of all. A beautiful story very well put together
and it moved me to tears.Short and sweet,yes,but complete,I doubt it!

ALISON

thanks, Alison

not complete? I dont know. we'll just have to all wait for my muse to decide.

Thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Thanks for Dad

Teek's picture

I am glad you made the Dad as the one who traveled this journey with his daughter. Thank You. I get tired of seeing only Mom's understanding this issue and accepting it. As an author, I am just as guilty. Thank You for shattering the gender sterio typical views.

The story was well done. It had good character development and a strong message. Doing character delopment and getting such a strong message across in such a short story is hard, but you did. That is an impressive feat and a testimate to your writing ability. Thank You for sharing with us all.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

thank you, Teekabell

I wanted to make a Dad as the main character for exactly that reason.

Thanks so much for commenting.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Dorothy, as always... Thank you...

you have a true gift and you share so openly and honestly... this one touched me deeply because although my father knows... i know he doesn't understand and acts like nothing is different *sighs*.
beautiful story...just beautiful
Love you,
Diana

give him time, Diana

guys process sticky emotional stuff differently than us girls, so give him time, patience, and love.

Super hugs, and thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png