One Cold Christmas Eve

Printer-friendly version
lights06.gif

One Cold Christmas Eve...

One cold Christmas Eve morning, I lay in my bed, curling my toes and relishing in the warmth of my blankets...

I wiggled my toes again, and giggled. Even though I couldn’t see them under the covers, I relished the fact they were now adorned with purple nail polish that had a layer of sparkles overtop.

As much as I was relishing the warmth of my blankets, I knew I would have to get out of bed soon and face my day, but I closed my eyes and tried to pretend otherwise until my alarm went off and ended my daydreaming.

I got out of bed, stretched, and rummaged through my drawers for an outfit for the day. Since I had to work, my choices were somewhat limited, so it didnt take long to find what I needed - white blouse and black slacks, with the only real feminine touch a pair of nylons, and get dressed.

I came downstairs to see my mother in her best Christmas outfit, a green sparkly dress that always reminded me of a Christmas tree, hurriedly making a meal for her dog.

“I’m glad you got up before I left. Your aunt Terry called, and wants me to come over for a Christmas dinner tonight. Will you be okay alone?”

“Yeah. I’m working out at the construction site tonight, I’ve written down the address and phone there in case you need it.”

“The construction site again? You were supposed to rotate to doing front desk at the diabetes clinic, weren’t you?”

“Yeah, but ever since I told my bosses I’m transitioning, I’ve been kept as far from the public eye as possible. Afraid I might upset someone, I guess.”

“I’m sorry, dear. but at least you still have the job,that’s something.”

“True that. Have fun at Terry’s”

“Thanks, sweetie.” She gave me a kiss, grabbed her purse, and ran out the door.

I puttered around for awhile, then started making something to eat for myself. Not being the world’s greatest cook, I made mac and cheese, to which I added a can of peas and a cut-up sausage.

Once I finished cooking, I ate a portion of what I made, and put the rest in a container to take to work with me. I put it into a bag I take with me, I carry my lunch, a bottle of pop, a book, a set of plastic utensils, a pen, a notepad, a mini flashlight, and a couple of candy bars to help keep me awake through the night.

Add a pocket for my wallet and keys, and its a purse.

I grabbed a sweater, my coat, my hat, a pair of pink gloves, and step into my boots, and felt as ready to take on the night as I was likely to, and so took off to my car for the quiet drive there.

As always, there is no one on site when I get there, so I just get the key out of the little box they leave it in for me, and go inside the trailer that I use as my base of operations through the night.

Its split into two main areas - a room with a desk, light, phone, chair, a radio, and my log book, and a break room with a table, some chairs, a microwave, a small fridge, and a water cooler. Behind that room is a washroom, so at least I dont have to run to an outhouse, like on some sites. I put my lunch in the fridge and go into the other room to set myself up for the shift, signing into the logbook, and then decide to take a quick patrol before I get too comfortable so I know what I’m dealing with.

Patrolling the site takes about ten minutes, and it seems clear, so I went back to trailer and write in the logbook, and then turned on the small radio. I’m expected to do a patrol once an hour, and the rest of the time I’m allowed to sit in the office and just keep my eyes open, so I have plenty of time to listen, to read, or just think,

Sometimes, I think I think too much.

It was because of all the time I’ve had to think that I finally realized I had to do something about my gender issues before they killed me, and so went to a gender doctor to see what I could learn.

That led me to telling my bosses I wanted to transition, and that led me to being stuck out on the most obscure site they had a contract for, with no idea when or even if I would ever be accepted enough to be exposed to the public.

The radio played a local station that ran old radio shows from the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s, so I spent my night listening to such shows as “My Favorite Husband” starring Lucille Ball, and “The Life of
Riely, as well as Orson Welles doing a radio show called “The Dark Tower” that was about crimes for which the evidence was now locked up in the Tower of London, and a rotation of adventure/science fiction/horror serials.

I read my book, which tonight was “Dune”, which, like most of my collection, I’ve read a number of times, but still liked, which was good because I couldnt afford to replace them.

Thinking of that only worried me about how the heck I was ever going to afford hormones.

About midnight, I did another patrol, taking my flashlight and taking the reverse of the the route I used on my first patrol.

Thieves love guards who always have the same routine, or so I’ve been told.

I came back to the office, wrote more in my logbook, and was just about to settle in when I saw a set of headlights headed toward me.

I put back on my coat, and went out, and then realized it was my mother’s car. just as she got out and handed me a plastic bag with a plate inside.

“I... brought you some leftovers from the diner. Merry Christmas, sweetie.”

“Thanks, mom. I’d ask you in, but I’m not allowed to have anyone here.”

“Its okay. I’m going home to bed. I just wanted to give you this, and tell you I’m proud of you. Telling everyone you felt like a girl, and wanted to transition was incredibly brave. You’re the best .... daughter a mother could hope for.”

Tears streamed down my face as I said, “Thanks, mom. I love you.”

We hugged, and then she got back in her car and drove off, and I went back inside with my plate of goodies.

The rest of the night passed quietly, I did my patrols, ate my goodies at about 3 A.M, and finished my book.

I was finishing my last entry in my logbook when the phone rang.

Curious, I answered, and it was my supervisor.

“Don..... Donna? Its Mike. Can you find time to come to the office on Tuesday?”

“Are... are you guys firing me?”

“No. Actually the reverse. We’ve been trading emails about you with head office. We’d like to offer you a job in the office, if you want it.”

“Work indoors, as opposed to freezing my butt off? Sure. But what about ... the girl thing?”

“Come in wearing a skirt, if you want, or ladies dress pants if that’s more comfortable. We’ll figure out the details as we go.”

“I will. See you Tuesday, and thank you!”

“You’re welcome. Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas.”

I hung up the phone, and got my stuff together to leave. Once outside, I looked up at the still dark sky with its hundreds of stars twinkling, and wept.

“A merry Christmas, indeed.”

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A great Christmas gift

which would cost the company very little but meant so much to Donna.

S.

yes, indeed, Susan

that's the amazing thing about acceptance. It really costs so little, and means so much.

Thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

Happy Dance

I very sweet story by an excellent writer. Thank you.

Lil Jaci, out of sheer boredom, sneaks into Dottie's room to tickle her from behind as she sits quietly at her Tinkerbell laptop computer...

thanks, Tels

Dottie is prepared, and pulls out a water-squirt gun ....

Hugs.

DogSig.png

A very merry Christmas,

Extravagance's picture

and possibly an even happier new year? = )

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Nice one Dottie!

Donna might be on the road to acceptance as who she really is. Will there be more to this tale? (Hugs) Taarpa

More, Taarpa?

Can't promise. I've got some other fish to fry .....

Thanks for commenting.

DogSig.png

Thank you

Thank you for the feel good this morning. It was really nice.

Much Love,

Valerie R

You're welcome, Valerie

I'm glad you liked it, and thanks for commenting

DogSig.png

I'll never hear these words this side of heaven...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but I do hope you and other dear ladies hear this..

You’re the best .... daughter a mother could hope for.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena