Worst Case Scenario

Printer-friendly version

Worst Case Scenario

Author’s note: this one is sort of inspired by the anime “Simoun” but does not take place in that world. There is a reference to suicide at the start, so read with care.

I stood on the highest point of the bridge I could, trying to steel myself for the jump.

From here, I could see most of Cuan City. I could see the dome where our governor ruled, the massive mansions, the beautiful parks, and the bay that the city is named after.

But my mind kept going over how things got this way.

It’s not like I didn't know that becoming a guy was possible, even if I didnt want to be one. There are never enough willing girls, so the machine chooses enough to make things balance out.

Nobody really knows why we’re all born girls, but if it wasnt for the machine we all go through at seventeen, the machine that makes half us us guys, our race would die out. So its hammered into us as we grow up that becoming a guy is a brave, even a patriotic choice.

But when I was a kid, everybody teased me saying I was far too girly to ever be picked to become a man.

And I cant say they were wrong.

I loved being a girl.

But on my seventeenth birthday, I went to the machine. The machine is in a tower just outside town, and joining me there was every girl born in the same month as I was. We spent several days in a large dorm together, reveling in our freedom from adult supervision and trying hard to not think about the process itself. But then we all went to the center of the tower, entered the sacred water, and listened while the machine assigned us.

And I came out knowing I was going to become a man.

And for a while, I just sort of ... shut down.

They put me in the transitional building with the others who would become dudes. Some were happy, already practicing being macho. Some were crying, and some were so angry that they had to be restrained.

But some were like me, in a state of shock.

Most recovered.

I never really did.

I stayed there for the nine months it took for my body to finish its transition, hating every moment of it.

The only way I could handle it was to basically shut down inside.

It only got worse when they tried to set me up with a girl for mating purposes.

They tried dominant girls, they tried submissive girls. I found them attractive, but the thought of using the thing between my legs was a non-starter.

A girl named Sara, who had been a close friend before my change, even had the bright idea of having some dresses made in my size, suggesting that if I wanted to be girly, I could do that and no one would hate me for it even if I was a guy.

She just didnt understand that it wasnt the clothes I wanted.

In fact as far as I was concerned putting pretty clothes would only highlight my problem. As far as I could see the clothes were designed to make a woman’s body pretty. And I didnt have a woman’s body.

So all the clothes did was highlight what was missing.

Not trying to knock any dude who could take that route. It just didnt work for me.

Which lead me to standing on the bridge, trying to summon the will to jump. It might not have been the highest place in the city, but most of the higher towers would be difficult to get into.

And I figured it was plenty high enough for my end.

I was so focused on trying to jump, I didnt notice Sara coming up to me till she spoke.

“Sam? Please. I’m sorry, Please dont jump.”

“Sara? How are you here?”

“I’ve been worried about you for days. So I only pretended to go to work, and instead followed you, Now, please, dont do this.”

“Why shouldn’t I? I’ve felt dead inside since I became a man might as well get the outside to match.” I cried.

“Because there is an alternative. The powers that be dont advertise it, but there is a way to go back to being a girl. The machine will let you go back.”

“Why wouldnt they tell us?”

“Because the government think that if girls knew there was a way back, they wont even try to adjust. And in a lot of cases a former girl can adjust if they try. And the need for males is so great, we need every single one who is capable of making the adjustment. I think its stupid, it hurts girls needlessly, but there it is.”

“They really can make me a girl again? You’re not just saying this so I wont jump?”

“I pinkie swear, Samantha.”

So I backed off the edge of the bridge, and into Sara’s arms.

And into a future I never imagined was possible.

End

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great Story Dorothy!

Great Story Dorothy! I love it that Sam didn't jump and will have a happy life as a female. Thanks for another wonderful story!

All my hopes,
Sasha Zarya Nexus

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

thanks. Sasha !

glad you liked it!

DogSig.png

Tragical

Daphne Xu's picture

Things have tragic here, off and on, sadly. Some stories seem to reflect this. In that universe, I wonder how many new young men (boys, really) don't get the last-minute rescue that the protagonist got.

It seems to me as if the willingness of the machine to change one back has to be kept as much a secret as the idea that a BB lifetime membership can be reversed by another one.

-- Daphne Xu

yes tragic to a point

hugs, and thanks for commenting

DogSig.png

Sounds like something a

repressive government would do, what the citizen needs is of no importance.

maybe

but maybe since without males the species would die out, there arent many easy choices

DogSig.png

Males

Biologically, they really only need one male for every ten (or more) females.

In a way, it wouldn't be fair to those who choose to remain female, but it's definitely fairer than forcing unwanted gender changes.

And it might even encourage more voluntary changes.

Also, who really wants to live with a man who hates what was done to him by force?

And there is also the good 'ol Turkey baster.

turkey baster might work

turn into a guy, donate your sperm, and turn back. of course they'd have to make sure you then werent impregnated with your own sperm ...

DogSig.png

that's a good question

maybe Sara is in the government ...

DogSig.png

My opinion

Lee's picture

I think the universe you have created is an interesting one but they would be easier way to do it.
First off education the benefits of being a man over a woman.
Second off societal incentive for men to get as many women pregnant as they can but only if both parties consent.
Then ask for volunteers. Then do psychological tests on the rest define those that will adapt the most easiest and use this group to top up the male population.
I think 50/50 men and women would be a stable Society but one man to every 10 women would do, and some government programs for genetic diversity

I am a male lolita.
So what is lolita fashion http://lolita-tips.tumblr.com/faq

easier ways

I dont know about most trans girls but given the choice I'd take having a woman's body over being stuck with a guy's. No matter how much easier guys have it, or even if they offered me a harem of girls to impregnate.

DogSig.png

Worst case scenario

I could see them picking 50% just to try to keep things equal. Everyone starts female so there should be no seeing females as a lower class and so long as men are plentiful they won't be looked at at as special. I wonder what the success to failure rate would be though. They definitely need a way to accommodate those who cannot adapt who are terribly unhappy being stuck after the machines make their choices.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Plentiful Men

Daphne Xu's picture

"I could see them picking 50% just to try to keep things equal." This motive is definitely laudable, because there are two potential consequences of a major dearth of males. The first, most obvious, is that rarity might give them a special privileged position. The other is that a system of serfdom or slavery could develop, a type of "property rights" in men

But it need not be 50%. I think that 40% might suffice.

I recall reading a story a few months back, based on a similar premise. In that situation, something had earlier changed human biology from producing both males and females, to producing all one gender. A certain fraction of people changed gender or had their genders changed, when they came of a certain age. I speculated on what caused the change.

-- Daphne Xu

I could easily see them spoiling the men

in hopes of increasing the number who wouldnt want to go back to being a girl. of course there would probably be a point where the women would say enough is enough ...

DogSig.png

What a bummer, End

Jamie Lee's picture

This part is really the beginning of something that would be real interesting to read, if there were more to read.

Forcing some women to change genders for the good of the species seems like a reasonable reason to force the change. And if it's for the good of the species, men could be forced to become women, were that necessary. In fact, as long as it was for the good of the species then anything could be forced on people or they could be made to do anything someone desired.

If all seventeen-year-old girls had to go through the machine, what criteria did the machine use to select which girl would be changed? And why weren't the girls given psychological tests to find out which girl was more suitable for the change?

Sam couldn't have been the only girl who shut down internally after being changed. How many other changed girls took the long fall? Those who succeed in the long fall were a loss that the Government decided weren't significant since the continuation of the human species was the more important objective.

Who decides when individual rights are to be usurped in favor of something considered vital? When are they to be restored? In this story, never. Because no male child is ever born. Has the Government thought to discover why this is the case? Or is it less expensive to force seventeen-year-old girls to possibly become men?

As long as no male child is ever born, forcing girls to become men will be a never ending activity. And some new men will continue taking the long fall.

Others have feelings too.

Another solution

Find the girls with the best genetics. (Yes, I know that 'best genetics' is something that is difficult to judge.) Change them to men temporarily. Bank their sperm. Change those who wish back to women.

Make sure that you do that to enough people to ensure that there is a large gene pool.