By the rivers of Babylon, Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

By the rivers of Babylon, Chapter 3

Author's note: Sorry this took so long, and sorry its so short. Hope you guys like it anyway.

Five people were looking at a goddess in shock, but eventually, they found their voices.

“I didnt do anything.” Richard replied.

“Neither did I” Don chimed in.

“Actually, you did much more than you think. Let me show you.” the goddess replied.

She waved her hand, and they saw the past ...

Brianna:

It started the same as the dream we had all shared.

Except I saw from the perspective of Fadhil that he had actually manipulated our superiors into sending only the three of us to check out the temple, because he didnt feel like he could handle an entire company of soldiers.

And that wasn’t the only bit of information I learned. When we got to the temple, he was concerned about the fact I seemed to be able to resist him, and he actually tried to get Don and Richard to kill me.

They fought that impulse, and finally, he just made them double-time into the area with the altar. And then for a second time Fadhil attempted to have Don and Richard kill me before I came close enough for my then hidden femininity to disrupt the ritual, and once more they resisted long enough for Nergal to appear, realize the ritual was contaminated and worthless, and then go back to her own realm, taking Fadhil with her.

While I was still processing that surprise we were back in the present ...

“The guys ... really fought that control ...refused to kill me?” I asked the goddess.

“They did. And thanks to them, we can stand here today.” she replied.

“I dont understand.” I said.

“If the summoning had been successful ... you cannot even imagine the devastation it would have caused. But that has been avoided. Now, I must seal this place, because it is a ... soft point between the mortal realm and mine. With your help.”

“What can we do?” Asked Richard.

“As representatives of the mortal race, give me your consent. I can then seal this place. In exchange, I can also give each of you a blessing.”

The five of us looked at each other, and then Richard spoke for us all, saying, “Sealing this place would mean no one could try to do here what Fadhil tried? Reward or not, let’s do this.”

So the goddess instructed us to make a circle, hold hands, and concentrate on giving her our permission to close the breach, as she called it.

It took about five minutes, but then she said, “it is done. Now, for your blessings. Richard and Anne Carter. You have wished for a child. With your permission, I will bless you so you will have healthy child by this time next year. Will you take my blessing?”

Richard and Anne looked at each other, and said, “Yes! We really want a kid.”

“Then let it be so.” The goddess said, and the two of them vanished.

Then she said, “Donald and Linda Ford. You also have wished for a child. Will you take my blessing?”

Don and Linda nodded, and said, “Yes. we will.”

The goddess then said “let it be so” and the two of them vanished.

Lastly she turned to me, and said, “I cannot bless you with a child. To do so would undo what we have done here. But I can ... arrange that a good man will come into your life, and that he will bring with him a child who needs a mother. Will you take my blessing Brianna?”

I thought about it, and said, “I will, but one thing. Why did you do this now?”

The goddess smiled at me, and said, “The mortal world, and your country in particular, are about to undergo a terrible time of trial and tribulation. This place had to be sealed before that began, so no one would be tempted to come here and get help from beyond this plane, for good or evil. Even if it was done with the best of intentions, it would lead to consequences for both gods and men. Now, return to your home, and know that despite the dark days coming you are not forgotten, nor will you ever be.”

I bowed my head, and the next thing I knew I was back in my room above the hotel.

Epilogue:

It’s been two months since I returned from the Middle East, and true to her word, I am now dating a lovely man named Peter who has a little girl just about to turn five. I keep in contact with Richard and Don and their wives, who are already teasing me about when my wedding will happen.

But I cant help but think about what the goddess said about a time of trial, and I hope that we’re strong enough to endure it as a country, and as individuals.

Brianna (formally Mitch) Woodward; Sept. 10th, 2001.

End.

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

okay

What happens next? When will the next chapter/book be out?

Well?

Answer me!

*takes away your fan*

no more from this story, at least for now

I'm gonna try and clear off my old stories, then worry about sequels. Mind you, my muse is weird, so you never know. and you cant take away my fan!

DogSig.png

of course i can

*takes apart fan*

see

silly girl

it was covered in girl germs, now they all are in you!

DogSig.png

duh

of course, since you make the germs, so your fan is covered. I expected that.

you left the germs there

trying to blow them towards me, you silly girl!

DogSig.png

please

Everyone knows your the source of girlie germs!

I am not girlie

I'm not the one with the pink habit!

Oh look dorothy that plushie is pink. But you don't need it. You have one already.

The way you two go at it,

It's like putting a dog and a cat that can't stand each other in a small room and waiting to see what happens. Is the fur going to start flying sometime soon? *giggles madly*

Nice wrap-up of this little story.

I especially liked seeing the goddess showing them what had actually happened back then.

For stopping Fadhil and thus helping to protect humanity, Richard, Don and Brianna all received precious gifts.

precious gifts indeed.

thanks for the comment, hon. huggles!

DogSig.png

Thanks

The epliloge was kind of abrupt, but answered most of the questions. The date answered the big question.

Karen

answering the big question

I'm glad using the date worked. Thanks for commenting!

DogSig.png

I too ...

Sara Selvig's picture

... had a strong feeling of completeness with the last line of the story. No more need be said.

Well done!

Sara

Sara


Between the wrinkles, the orthopedic shoes, and nine decades of gravity, it is really hard to be alluring. My icon, you ask? It is the last picture I allowed to escape the camera ... back before most BC authors were born.

completeness

I'm glad that last line worked. thanks for commenting!

DogSig.png