Venus Cursed! - Chapter 51

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 51

"I guess we don't need to fight anything just yet." Jill said. With the lid off the sarcophagus they could see it was actually a stairway.

"Could be all kinds of nasties down there, though." Mike said. "I'll go first." He slithered down the steps before any of them could argue and the others hurriedly followed.

"Vash, do you feel anything down here?" Jill asked suspiciously as they looked around a small room full of gold, jewel encrusted objects.

I believe we have dealt with everything this tomb had to offer. I would still be leery of traps, though. he replied.

"Vash says there's nothing left to fight, but we should still watch for traps." Jill said for Erica's benefit.

"How are we supposed to do that?" Erica asked.

"I think I have an idea." Sarah said and looked at the nearest pile of treasure. A portal opened up beneath it and it fell through. There was a crash from above a moment later.

"What did you do?!" Mike exclaimed.

"I portaled the pile into the room above. That way if the pile is trapped, it will go off up there. If the trap is in here, we don't get near it." Sarah explained.

Jill looked around wearily, but nothing seemed to be happening. "Go ahead and do the rest, Sarah." she suggested. Sarah nodded and opened portal after portal, each one followed by a crash as the treasure arrived above. Soon the room was empty.

"I guess there weren't any traps." Mike said with relief. They climbed back up the stairs to find the golden objects scattered all around the room. "Could take a while to look through all this stuff."

I can help with that. Vash said. He scampered through the pile, tapping a blunted claw against an item every now and then.

"Vash says those objects are magical." Jill told Erica. They began gathering up the objects he'd indicated and piling them off to one side from the rest. Soon they had about a fifth of the objects piled up.

"All of this is magical?!" Erica exclaimed, looking down at the haphazard pile of objects.

Jill nodded, "Yes. He says some of the stuff he didn't indicate is also magical, but it's cursed. He wants you to move that stuff aside, Erica, since it won't affect you."

Erica shrugged and followed Vash around, gathering up cursed objects as she went. She soon had a pile even larger than the other which she stacked against a wall in the far corner at Vash's insistence.

That left about half the treasure lying scattered about the room. "This other stuff is valuable, but non-magical. Does anybody want any of it?" Jill asked. They all walked around the room, looking at the scattered treasure. They found some statues and jewelry that they liked, but the rest they ignored.

"So what is this stuff?" Erica asked, looking at the pile of magical items.

"Vash doesn't know for the most part. He thinks he can identify it with time, though, and he's certain it's not cursed." Jill replied. The pile consisted of a map case (which they hadn't opened to find out if it had a map in it), a very large sword, two smaller swords, three daggers, an axe, a crossbow, a long bow, two quivers of arrows (with golden arrowheads), various pieces of jewelry, and an assortment of armor pieces.

"There's too much here to carry back, I'll open a portal and we can ferry it across." Sarah said, and opened the portal to her living room. Mike and Erica started ferrying things through the portal from the magical pile, while Jill and Sarah gathered up the non-magical objects. Once all of the magical items were through they followed Mike and Erica through the portal.

Mike and Erica had piled the magical objects on the floor in front of the couch, so Sarah and Jill put the non magical stuff on the kitchen table.

"Well, that was certainly some shopping trip!" Mike said with a sigh as he sank gratefully down on the couch.

"It certainly was." Jill agreed, taking her canteen off her shoulder and spilling a few drops on Mike's face. Before their eyes the scratches on his face healed up without a trace. "Good stuff, isn't it?" Jill said with a grin as she capped the canteen.

Mike grinned back at her, "Yes, it certainly is! Thanks!"

"Is anybody else hurt?" she asked. Everyone shook their heads, so Jill gathered up everyone's bottles and put them away in a cupboard that Sarah indicated to her.

"How long is it going to take you to figure out what all this stuff is?" Mike asked Vash, who was already poking around in the pile.

No way to know. The magic of that world is slightly different to what I'm used to. I'll tell you what they are as I find out myself. he replied.

"Let's sort out the non-magical stuff, then." Erica suggested. They all sat at the table and went through the much smaller pile. The only thing Mike had picked out was a dragon statue with ruby eyes. It was about six inches tall and about fifteen long. He set it aside and helped Jill sort out her own picks. Jill had selected two rings and three necklaces. Erica had selected only a pendant and a ring, while Sarah had found a cat statue that she liked, along with a bracelet, two rings, and a necklace.

"I figured I could give them to you when I'm done with them." Sarah said with a shrug at Erica's questioning look.

"Can you really wear any of that stuff?" Mike asked, "Without being mugged, anyway."

"This stuff is so perfect anyone seeing it will assume it's fake." Jill replied.

"Even so, we can only use it for dressy occasions without looking strange." Erica added.

"If you say so." Mike said with a shrug.

With the non-magical treasure sorted out Mike and Jill took theirs back to their apartment. Erica put hers in her luggage, and Sarah put hers away in, or in the case of the cat statue on, her dresser.

By the time they'd all returned to the living room Vash had already managed to figure out the enchantments on the crossbow.

This crossbow is simple enough. he said. It's especially durable, accurate, and powerful. That's it. Jill relayed that to the others.

"Sounds like you've got yourself a weapon." Erica said to Jill.

"Me?! Why me?" Jill exclaimed.

"Mike's our front line fighter. I've already got a ranged weapon as well as my sword. Sarah has her bow and her fireballs. Your only ranged weapon is those kinetic blasts of Vash's and your mental abilities. Which are completely useless against undead." Erica explained.

"Crossbows are pretty easy to use." Sarah said. "This one even has a hand crank for loading. All you have to do is wind the crank to get the bow pulled back, place a bolt inside, aim and shoot. We'll have to get you some bolts for it, but it's otherwise ready to go."

"I guess." Jill said doubtfully.

"Have you figured out any of the others?" Erica asked Vash. He shook his head and continued perusing the pile, so they got comfortable on the couch and Sarah showed Jill how to handle her new crossbow. Once she was sure Jill could load it herself, they went online to order some bolts and a quiver for it.

"Why not buy them in a store, like you did your arrows?" Jill asked.

"Crossbows aren't as common as bows. We'll have better luck online." Sarah explained.

"I think it's about time for some food, how about you girls?" Mike said.

"Sure, sounds like a good idea. What shall I make?" Sarah asked.

"I was thinking of going out to eat, you don't have to cook." Mike protested.

"I can't afford to go out very often, especially now that I have to spend so much money on clothes and…other…female stuff." Sarah replied awkwardly.

"Other female stuff?" Erica asked with a grin.

"She had her first period this week." Jill explained.

"Wow, really? That must have been strange for you." Erica replied and gave Sarah a hug.

"Yeah, it was." Sarah agreed, burying her blushing face in Erica's shoulder.

"Do you really want to eat here, because I'll pay for dinner if you want to go out." Erica said.

"Wellll, a pizza would be nice…" Sarah said hopefully.

Erica laughed and said, "Sure, we can get a pizza. I should have known your taste for pizza would be unaffected!"

"Do you want to come along, Vash, or should we just bring some leftovers home for you?" Jill asked.

I'm tired, I'll stay here. I would be intrigued to try this pizza thing that Sarah is so excited about, however. he replied while nosing one of the rings.

"Okay, we'll make sure to bring some back for you then." Jill said and they headed out.


 
To Be Continued…
 


up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I suspect

I think maybe Vash is waiting for a chance to talk with Tiffany. Wadda ya wanna bet she brought back some of the cursed stuff?

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Well, it wouldn't be the

Well, it wouldn't be the first time... ;)

Saless

P.S. If the Sarah's Shadow link didn't work when you tried it, that's because I have to post them before I know what number they are, as that's part of the link. So I always have to go back and fix it once I know the number of the post. It should be working now.
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What link?

Oh, THAT link . . .

oops

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

The Cursed Stuff

Could be saved for attacks, wouldn't it be fun to se a goon or thug zapped by a truly novel curse? Say, super aging, youthening, you get the idea.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That's not bad!

Erica could carry a bag of them. "Here catch this!" I wonder if there are any curse girdles in that stack? Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity any one?

Grover

I like that, Erica is

I like that, Erica is uniquely suited to it! I can just see her smuggling some cursed object to Kyle... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Hah! You are cursed with a gremlin ....

An AMC Gremlin.

Hey in SE Wisconsin we are laughing our asses off if we are over a certain age,

One technical goof, Saless, no biggie. I've done far worse. I quote.

>>
By the time they'd all returned to the living room Vash had already managed to figure out the enchantments on the crossbow.

This crossbow is simple enough. he said. It's especially durable, accurate, and powerful. That's it. Jill relayed that to the others.

"Sounds like you've got yourself a weapon." Erica said to Jill.
>>

But Erica can't hear Vash so did you leave out a line where Jill or Sarah repeats what Vash said? Or despite being a nul, Erica can now *hear* Vash?

Liked the parallel story with the Shadowkin. I worry she is being changed by powers or a curse into a more and more withdrawn, secretive person. Vash is right, she should reveal herself to the group, they would welcome her and they would protect each other.
Hum, gold tipped arrows? Magic or intended to kill a supernatural being such as a god/goddess?
John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

AMC Gremlin? You'll have to

AMC Gremlin? You'll have to explain that one! As for the goof, it's not a goof, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Look at the last sentence in the next to last line you quoted, "Jill relayed that to the others." It's kind of mashed together, I know, but it's there.

Thanks John!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Oh John !!

[email protected]---- My heart goes out to you and your neighbors !! LOL !!

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

What a name for a car! Did

What a name for a car! Did it have a lot of problems? ;) Thanks John!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

AMC Gremlin

It was actually a very nice car at the time. It was one of the first hatch backs, and was touted as having good mileage -- in other words, one of the first econoboxes.

It was powered with the venerable 258 cubic inch (4.2 liter) straight six that was generally followed by the bulletproof Chrysler Torque Flite TF727 automatic transmission. It had a lot in common with the AMC Pacer (remember Wayne's World and the original Oh God! movie?) I remember seeing some with 4 wheel drive (using the NP129 full time/part time transfer case with viscous coupling) re-badged as as an AMC Eagle.

AMC made some good stuff. I was sorry to see them go out of business. I have, sitting in my driveway, one of their last surviving vehicles -- the Jeep Grand Wagoneer. (Not the last, though. The Wrangler YJ and the Cherokee/Wagoneer XJ survived a few more years after Chrysler bought Jeep. They just recently stopped putting the 4.0 liter straight six into Jeeps. The four liter engine is a direct descendant of the old 258.)

Like I said, AMC had a few strokes of brilliance, though they also had a few less-than-successful cars. At least they never made anything like the Vega or Edsel. LOL

Anyhow, I still remember the commercial they had for the Gremlin.

A young lady drives up to the gas pumps in a Gremlin.

Out comes the grizzled looking attendant. (Yes, we're talking about someone else pumping your gas.) He wanders around the car and snickers. "Where's the other half of your car, toots?"

She hands him a dollar bill.

"Are you sure you're going to need allll that gas?" he asks.

"Nope," she replies, snatching the dollar from him. "Just give me a gallon." (Yes, gas was less than a buck a gallon way back in the dark ages.)

I remember gas being 70

I remember gas being 70 something cents per gallon, does that mean I'm old? ;) I think my grandparents had an AMC Eagle, or else my parents, I can't remember which. Now the question is, did you look all those details up, or did you really know most or all of that off the top of your head? ;) I don't even know what a lot of it means!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

No, you are not old.

You are seasoned. ~_^
Can you feel the difference?

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

[blush]

Yes, I know all that stuff off the top of my head. I'm such a geek.

I have had a number of Jeeps, and I'm always looking for ways to make them better (Start with the best, then add some aftermarket improvements.) For instance, I added fuel injection to my (Chrysler) Jeep Grand Wagoneer's AMC 360 engine.

'Fess up!

OK, which smart alec decided to curse John with misreading character names (Sarah --> Sharon/Fred) and now the occasional clause (...relayed...)?

He hasn't done that at all in any of the other dozen or so stories I've read (including the never-ending "Bike" saga), so I can only assume it's a curse that's limited to his comments on this story...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

This is

[email protected] just pure fun !!

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Thank you cavrider!

Thank you cavrider! ^_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Loot

They're worrying about having enough money to eat out, but just left thousands (or maybe millions) of dollars worth of loot behind. There's something wrong with this picture!

Yes, fencing the stuff may be a bit of a challenge, but I'm sure that their lawyer-to-be would have some ideas. The fact is, the whole idea of starting a business and slipping that stuff into the sales stream would work.

With the cash, they can buy lots of land in some remote place (or maybe another universe,) set up some permanent portals, and still operate from their apartments or maybe a single condo.

Or, they can take the stuff to a universe that's similar enough to theirs to use the same currency, sell it there, and find a way to launder any large bundles of cash they may want to bring back. That is, if they don't just bring enough back to eat out when the feel like it and buy the toys that they want.

Sarah can always open

Sarah can always open another portal and go retrieve it. ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I forgot

to say when i commented yesterday to say well done on reaching episode 50, It cannot be easy to write a new episode every day (i'm sure Angharad would agree!!) and if you add Sarah's Shadow and Kittyhawk it does make me wonder just how you manage to fit everything in!!

Mind you i suspect i'm not alone when i say just how glad i am that you devote so much time to this site, Your stories are just so readable and are something i look forward to reading when i vist BC/TS.

Kirri

Thank you Kirri! It is both

Thank you Kirri! It is both more and less challenging than I expected. It's generally not too hard to come up with something to write, but then there are those days where I just can't seem to write anything, no matter how hard I try! :( I've had several of those lately and it is very frustrating!

Thank you again Kirri, I really appreciate all the nice things you say! ^_^
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America